Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > i cant believe this is in theaters Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
William J Welch

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephan, Why do you care what people think. If you like historically inaccurate movies that is your prerogative Big Grin
But I think most people that complain about historical inaccuracies, like me just have a problem with the made up story lines, instead of following real history(such as Brave Heart, etc.) that is just as interesting if not more so.

William J Welch

Brotherhood of St Luke.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My son wanted to see this, so I actually paid to see it today.

The real issue here is not historical inaccuracy.

Make everything perfectly historically accurate and the film still has big problems.

It has a piss story line that lacks continuity. Plot discordance abounds and disrupts the audience experience. Unlikable characters and an assortment of small villains all lack intensity and fail to engage each other or the audience. Bad cinematography and effects...some are really bad for anything other than cut rate TV. Over reliance on clinches and trite constructs to advance subplots that I suppose are intended to support the main plot ,but instead interfere with it. An inferior sense of scale. Action sequences that are not visually engaging (please don't throw that mannequin over the cliff type quality). No good lines for any of the actors. And finally, in case I did not mention it yet, some very bad or extremely uninterested acting.

Its just a very bad movie.

Worse than that, its like a very bad made for TV special that was underfunded to the point that it smells and tastes like old reprocessed cheese spread. Frankly I'm not sure I could drink enough to make the Last Legion enjoyable, although I am glad they did not call it the Next to Last Legion which would have left the door wide open for a sequel.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 26 Aug, 2007 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case the last post failed to make things clear, nobody is going to draw the wrong conclusions watching this film. In fact I suspect very few sane people are likely to sit though more than 20 minutes of it before demanding their money back or just leaving the theater.

The best part of the movie, since the Xena/Ninja chick somehow never flashed any skin (my one hope for the film after the first few minutes and all the more amazing since they had her swimming in several scenes), was having to go to the bathroom in the middle of it. I don't ever recall being quite so glad I went for the biggest soda at the concession stand with the salty movie popcorn before!!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 26 Aug, 2007 8:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm considering the fact that I watched it taking one for the team!
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
I was actually kind of looking forward to this movie until I found out that Aishwarya Rai (aka that one girl who is in all those Bollywood movies my sisters watch) was playing a "warrior princess" in it. Call me prejudiced, but after learning that I didn't even need to see the trailer to know that the movie would no longer be on my "must see list." Razz

Tis a pity, because that deliciously intense fellow who plays Lucius Vorenus in Rome is in it too. Ah well......

Wish you hadn't said Aishwarya Rai was in it . . . now I have to go see it. Aishwarya as a warrior princess? It's a must see.
I do hope she's a Scythian warrior princess . . . . . probably no chance of that, is there???
I have always been very fond of the Scythian warrior ladies.

They were the real Amazons, and quite fierce enough to suit any myth.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > i cant believe this is in theaters
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: