Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review: Generation 2 The Dordogne SwordProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Steve Halston

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay I'm jumping in here to add my two cents.

As far as I know, Generation 2's intention is to manufacture ultra-durable, historically plausible beater swords.

This would appear to explain the chunky assembly, the handle washers and the blade presence. These swords are intended to fly through targets and cause some major damage. In a sword intended for these purposes, a little extra blade presence would likely be the intended result.

You're probably not going to get a completely historically accurate sword from Generation 2, but you will get a historically plausible one, and historically plausible swords based on historical weapons. Generation 2 has come a long way since conception as far as quality and accuracy is concerned. They have scaled their weights down a bit and cleaned up the construction of their weapons, but they are still dedicated beaters capable of sustaining a lot of abuse.

If you're looking for a functional replica of a historical sword, you'll need to look to a different manufacturer. If you're looking for a fun semi-historical beater sword that can withstand tons of abuse, and you really want to chop the hell out of stuff, then get a Generation 2.

Don't be afraid to have fun with this one. It will likely withstand almost any abuse you throw it at.

Tempered steel and tempered spirit are the foremost attributes of a man at arms.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Jean, could we get a few photos of the upgraded Dordogne?
Thanks,
Dan

Hmmmmm: Took about 5 years for me to take the camera for a spin earlier this year, but finally I have been taking pics for a while now and better late than never.

Here are pics of the Dordogne " Upgrade ": Old suede grip replaced by chammy leather, natural color with some campaign staining. ( My first attempt at wrapping a handle in leather, so the seams are sort of visible but I like the new shape of the grip. ).

Two layers of leather with the riser covered and seam on one side and the next layer in two sections with the seam on the other side. The riser is a thicker piece of leather if I remember correctly as I did this in 2007.

Also blued the guard and pommel and knocked down the mirror finish on the blade to a satin finish similar to an Albion finish.

I like this sword in spite of the remaining issue of the guard being too chunky.

The steel and heat treat is very good and I can't even find the nicks in the blade now after a couple of light sharpening.

Attachment: 94.26 KB
IMG_0181.JPG

Attachment: 127.78 KB
IMG_0190.JPG

Attachment: 118.81 KB
IMG_0191.JPG

Attachment: 105.52 KB
IMG_0192.JPG
Seam on riser.

Attachment: 128.76 KB
IMG_0193.JPG
Other side of wrap and seam.

Attachment: 84.17 KB
IMG_0195.JPG

Attachment: 119.85 KB
IMG_0197.JPG

Attachment: 118 KB
IMG_0198.JPG

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review: Generation 2 The Dordogne SwordProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: