Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hilt construction of Arms and Armour swords vs Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Hilt construction of Arms and Armour swords vs Albion         Reply with quote

I own a couple Albion swords that I am very happy with. I also like some offered by Arms and Armour (particularly the Black Prince). I have never handled a sword by them or seen one in person. I am concerned about the hilt construction of the Arms and Armour swords. I initially thought they were assembled with a hot peen like and Albion but not I'm not sure if they are threaded with a screw on pommel or cold peened. I can't help but noticing that the Arms and Armour tang seems to have less meat on it than a similar sword from Albion. If anyone has pics of a disassembled Arms and Armour sword that would be great.

Attachment: 22.92 KB
sword085b.jpg
Arms and Armour Irish sword

Attachment: 30.09 KB
gallowglass-12.jpg
Albion Gallowglass

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is nothing to worry about the construction of A&A swords. Any allusions to the contrary are hype.

A&A swords are peened. Hot or cold? Who cares? I don't know. It differs across their line. Many of their products, if I understand correctly, are also threaded before peening.

As far as I know, all (or at least most) of their swords have a compression fit. This is to say that the grip is bored-through, placed on the tang, and the pommel is peened, creating a compression fit that keeps all together.

Albion uses a sandwiched grip that is placed on after the cross and pommel are peened (and wedged?) into placed. I really like this method.

Both methods can be found historically. Both are strong. We all may have a preference for one or the other, but both are strong, appropriate, and nothing to cause concern.

That's my two-cents.

(the two swords you posted above: one is a single-handed sword, the other is a hand-and-a-half sword)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

(the two swords you posted above: one is a single-handed sword, the other is a hand-and-a-half sword)

Nathan,

Thanks for the swift reply. I guess I just find the Arms and Armour construction style disconcerting when the tang is left exposed like on the Irish swords. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from low priced swords from India with threaded tangs. At least for aesthetics the peened tangs appeal more to me. Here is a picture of the Albion Kern hilt wax (which is single handed) to illustrate my point.

Attachment: 52.94 KB
kern-wax-2.jpg
Albion Kern

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Hi Nathan         Reply with quote

The construction of our pieces vary by the type of sword. For the broad bladed weapons almost all of them have a pass through guard for the tang, a wooden core grip that is roached to fit the tang and then a keyed pommel that slides down the tang to the top of the grip. Then a pommel nut is made that threads to the end of the tang and the tang end is peened at the back of the nut. This allows for more surface area holding the peened sword tight than a normal peen would.

This of course can be left unpeened for those who prefer to break down their swords periodclly for travel or maintenance.

Best Regards
Craig
A&A Inc.

Last edited by Craig Johnson on Tue 07 Aug, 2007 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, I have a feeling that sometimes the photographs in the A&A website are not entirely accurate to the end product, in the sense that some of them seem to depict older versions of the products currently in the market. In other words, they're not exactly accurate because the actual product is likely to be better than the photographs--at least if we go by the recent reviews of A&A products in this site, many of which show swords that look both more beautiful and more solid than the comparable pictures in A&A's own website. Or maybe that's just a function of photographic skill and circumstances?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Or maybe that's just a function of photographic skill and circumstances?

Or how often the pics get upgraded to reflect upgrades in the swords themselves: Time to do it is time not spent making
them ! Or making money to keep the business going.

Although the importance of having the best possible pics is sometimes underestimated as far as generating sales is concerned.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Nathan         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
The construction of our pieces vary by the type of sword. For the broad bladed weapons almost all of them have a pass through guard for the tang, a wooden core grip that is roached to fit the tang and then a keyed pommel that slides down the tang to the top of the grip. Then a pommel nut is made that threads to the end of the tang and the tang end is peened at the back of the nut. This allows for more surface area holding the peened sword tight than a normal peen would.

This of course can be left unpeened for those who prefer to break down their swords periodclly for travel or maintenance.

Best Regards
Craig
A&A Inc.

Thanks Craig. I can see that it could be beneficial to be able to take a sword apart to switch out furniture or switch a training blade for the sharp one.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hilt construction of Arms and Armour swords vs Albion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic