Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial Impressions: MRL Pirate Captain HangerProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Initial Impressions: MRL Pirate Captain Hanger         Reply with quote

Stats:

Weight: 1 lbs 15 ounces
Overall Length: 32 and 1/2 inches
Grip: 4 and a half inches
Blade Length: 26 inches from end of guard
Point of Balance: approx. 2 and ½ inches from guard
Center or Percussion: approx. 18 inches from guard
Curve of blade: approximately 1 inch
Distal Taper
At Crossguard -.5 cm
At end of fuller - .5cm
At tip - .4cm

Initial Impressions:
Looks exactly like stock photos, perfect nautical/pirate appearance

Appearance:
From what I understand, this is about as close as it comes out there on the market to a functional replica of the sword used by Jack Sparrow (Johhny Depp) in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It looks pretty close to the movie prop. I really like the way it looks. The color of the guard is really well done, and the Windlass Mirror Polish fits well with it for a change, and it would be really easy to antique this piece. The grip is a bit too shiny, but not bad at all. There are some minor flaws in its appearance, and they are: the fuller is uneven in a few spots, the edge is a bit thicker in some places-most noticeably near the tip, and finally when viewing the blade profile while holding the piece straight in front of you, the grind gives the appearance of making the blade look bent. Its not really bent, but optically it looks slightly that way. All of these are probably just slight bad luck, and not all pieces will have these problems. Also, the finish near the pommel nut is chipped a bit. But overall, I am happy with how the blade looks.

Handling:
The sword’s handling isn’t really dynamic. You would have a hard time using it to do stage fencing requiring rapier/fencing like moves. It is easy to control, but it’s a cutlass/hanger, and it is pretty short. I personally keep feeling like its missing about 5-10 inches. Also, the grip is slicker than I like, and it is hard to use a classic grip with the thumb facing forward, as my hand runs out of room. Its not easy to grip the pommel and still feel in control. However, it does thrust very well. I don’t really like using it for cutting movements. I feel it tends to feel like a chopper more than a cutter. It feels almost like swinging an esrima stick rather than an edged weapon. It does better to use no wrist movement when cutting. However, I think it would take a terrific edge and cut targets like milk jugs very easily. I would even think it could do tatami well, but that is just a guess.

What you should expect:
This sword costs $160 shipped. It’s a better piece than most Windlass models. I did not put this piece through any contact drills, but I think it would prove durable. I have heard of some people having the grip loosen after contact usage though. Just be careful at first judging its durability. I’d say if you want a useable replica of what is basically Jack Sparrow’s Cutlass, this is the piece to buy. There are probably better options out there though as far as cutlass’s go if handling is important. For the money, its really nice though, and it would get lots of notice at Faire’s or Halloween.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, Mike. This MRL offering is not really my cup of tea, but I did happen to notice from your pictures that the guard looks kinda thin. Maybe my old eyes are playing tricks. How thick is the guard?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have returned the piece already, so I can't take any measurements. I really can't guess what it might have been.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial Impressions: MRL Pirate Captain HangerProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic