Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My mystery knight Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Mc

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: My mystery knight         Reply with quote

Hello,
I recently inhereted a beautiful suit of armor and was hoping to find more information on it. I was hoping someone might be able to lead me in the right direction. I have a few facts about the knight: It was purchased in Spain in the '60s or '70s at an auction. It sat in the capitol building for a long time. Rumor has it that it was crafted by the Spanish armory. This is all that I know about it. Would anyone be able to tell me how I might be able to identify it?
Thanks in advance!
Mark
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: My mystery knight         Reply with quote

Mark Mc wrote:
Hello,
I recently inhereted a beautiful suit of armor and was hoping to find more information on it. I was hoping someone might be able to lead me in the right direction. I have a few facts about the knight: It was purchased in Spain in the '60s or '70s at an auction. It sat in the capitol building for a long time. Rumor has it that it was crafted by the Spanish armory. This is all that I know about it. Would anyone be able to tell me how I might be able to identify it?
Thanks in advance!
Mark

I have got to say that you are going to have to give us a bit more to go on. There are people around here that know quite a lot about armor including some that make the stuff themselves, but they are going to need a little more information then that it was possibly purchased in Spain during a 20 year period and that it might have been made in Spain. A picture is worth a thousand words, several really good pictures will probably tell the tale.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Mark Mc

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. Pictures will be posted very soon. Besides the obvious photos, is there anything less than intuitive that I should take a picture of?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mc wrote:
Thank you. Pictures will be posted very soon. Besides the obvious photos, is there anything less than intuitive that I should take a picture of?

We'll probably be able to tell you when it was made based only on a general view, but it would be very helpful to get a peek inside the helmet. Pieces made in the 19th and 20th centuries were mostly meant for display, and might not have evidence of the linings that made authentic pieces wearable (I'm sure there are exceptions). We're looking for rivets around the bowl of the helmet, hand-cut washers and, possibly, remnants of a leather lining band or even fragments of fabric lining. We'll also look for welds. Most, but not all, medieval and renaissance helmets have a bowl made of a single piece of metal. This is the hard way of doing things, and requires great skill. Single-piece construction won't confirm age, as there are folks doing this work even today, but welds will indicate a modern, multi-piece construction of the bowl.

This can get tricky, because some modern craftsmen did, and still do, very fine work using historical methods. Those pieces command very high prices as collectibles in their own right.

Most likely, what you have is either of decent-quality 19th century production (can be quite valuable) or a 20th century decorator piece (not so much). Either way, there will some dead giveaways as to its origin.

The main concern is whether or not you like it. Happy

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Mc

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will be sure to include pictures of all the items you described below. The purpose for my research is to be able to accurately tell its story. As you can see by my previous posting, I don't know much. The armour sits in our entry way and greets all visitors to our home and will continue to do so for a long time to come.
Thanks
Mark
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Apr, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

also, look for would could be a makers mark. some little symbol or design that does not flow with the rest of the armour. some armourers hide their personal marks while others put them out in plain sight for all to see who made the suit.
Mark Mc

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
Here are some pictures. Please let me know if anyone would like to see something from a different angle. I am looking forward to your thoughts.
Thanks
Mark

Attachment: 92.55 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 63.66 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 67.68 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 73.94 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 69.92 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 88.82 KB
[ Download ]
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark, that is a very nice suit...

Unfortunately, it is likely a fairly recent reproduction meant for display only, loosely modeled after a general mid- to late-sixteenth century style. Looks great by any means, so have fun with it. Happy
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

looks like something i think it was Noble collection used to sell. i used to get the catalogs many years ago but could never afford anything from them
Brad Harada

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks very similar to this armor made by Marto. Take a look at this link:

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/armours-swo...al-902.asp
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's the one it seems.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My mystery knight
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic