Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Longdagger by Randal - where the heck did I see it for sale? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Longdagger by Randal - where the heck did I see it for sale?         Reply with quote

It was a long rondel - damnear a short sword...
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It wasn't Randal but Eric McHugh. You can check it out at http://www.albionarmorers.com/inhouse/eric.htm

Randal has a seax and dagger mounted en suite (the Raven and the Crow) with maple and horm hilts I believe. http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/graham/ravencow.htm
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harlan Hastings wrote:
It wasn't Randal but Eric McHugh. You can check it out at http://www.albionarmorers.com/inhouse/eric.htm

Randal has a seax and dagger mounted en suite (the Raven and the Crow) with maple and horm hilts I believe. http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/graham/ravencow.htm

I do like that thing.
Scabbard is included in the price, I see.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
I do like that thing.
Scabbard is included in the price, I see.

Last time I visited Albion, I saw this piece being built. It's really a very, very cool piece. The blade geometry is extremely unique in the reproduction world. I really applaud Eric for deciding to recreate the historical piece he was able to document. With all the hollowgrinding and whatnot, I can't imagine the blade was a simple production effort.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan for the comments.

This was one of those pieces that I thought, "this should be and easy knife." WRONG! First, hollowgrinding anything is difficult, but when you have to hollow grind four sides of a blade...well, let's just say that it was not an easy piece to make.

Some background: About three years ago, I approached Peter Johnsson with the idea of mentoring a new bladesmith, me. I knew he wasn't taking apprentices, so I asked him if he could guide me on this journey. Randal Graham taught me the basics of bladesmithing and to this day he gives me help when I reach a roadblock, but Randal is more eclectic in his taste, and I am well...a traditionalist. So, Peter agreed to mentor me on this journey to reproducing original or period weapons.

Part of the process was a trip to Sweden to study originals first hand with him, and spend time learning techniques in his smithy. Last Oct, I spent over 2 weeks with Peter. Every day we would take the train to various museums and document swords.

This knife is based off of pieces that we viewed, but also from sessions with Peter outside of the museum. It is based on a blade that Peter documented from the Museum of London. The hilt is based off of various daggers in both Swiss and German collections (it was a common guard).

This knife is more that just a custom piece, it is the first in a series of exercises that I am doing for Peter to learn the craft from him. I'm sure that after his visit in a few weeks, he will have some "suggestions" for me; but that okay, I want to be a good bladesmith and to do that you have to open yourself up to criticism.

Whoever buys this knife will have a unique piece. It is not a standard blade shape (although Rondels had some very unique blades anyway). Kevin has started work on the sheath. It will be based on late 14th and early 15th century knife sheaths. The entire suite will be very nice and very period.

The next project is a Viking war-knife (a cross between a single-edged short swords and a long sax).

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:

The next project is a Viking war-knife (a cross between a single-edged short swords and a long sax).

Eric, can you tell us more about this one? I'm highly intrigued...
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still planning on a single-edged "Arhus Farm" NG Viking sometime in the future?

Brian M
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Thanks Nathan for the comments.

This was one of those pieces that I thought, "this should be and easy knife." WRONG! First, hollowgrinding anything is difficult, but when you have to hollow grind four sides of a blade...well, let's just say that it was not an easy piece to make.

(...)

I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next, Eric! That archer's rondel of yours is gorgeous! I can only think that whatever else you make will be just as good looking!

Geoff

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:

Eric, can you tell us more about this one? I'm highly intrigued...

Sure, while in Sweden with Peter, we handled some some 3 dozen Viking swords and sax's. These study sessions led to many more discussions around the dinner table. In my mind (and this is only an opinion) sax's are shorter very stout knives that can cleave a man's hand off. Most modern sax reproductions are too thin. These knives could be rather thick (sometimes as much as 8mm plus). The blade I am making (just started it) will be very sax like in shape but will have some small fittings. It will be approx. 7.5-8mm thick at the hilt and taper down to 2mm and eventually 1mm at the very tip. It is made from 1095. The blade length will be around 22-23" and overall it will be 28" (approx.). I am calling it a war knife because it is on the big side of a sax. When I am done with the rough grind, I will post some pictures. This knife is based off of a knife that was documented by Peter, but I have made it longer.

I am still planning on a North Arhus single-edge, but I want finish this war knife first because it will serve as practice for the single edged sword.

Hope this helps.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks         Reply with quote

Geoff Freeman wrote:

I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next, Eric! That archer's rondel of yours is gorgeous! I can only think that whatever else you make will be just as good looking!
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, you're too kind. BTW, I will be finishing your knife this week (crossing my fingers).

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well i've just bought this piece from Eric and thought I would put up a quick review . I had been trying to figure out
a way to afford this piece since the day it came out but when I got out here and actually handled it this week
I had to have it . Its smooth clean lines allow the functional nature of this piece to come to the fore . Rondels
came in a variety of sizes like sax's ( civilian modles tended to be a bit smaller ) and this one is of the larger
battlefield work variety . The hilt based on several in a Swiss collection of a form found commonly on the
continent . The discs are hand forged by Eric and the tang has been reccessed pienedso that the pommel
disc is completely smooth . the blade is from an example that Peter Johnson studied in the Museum of
London and is constructed of 1095 steel . The blade Eric chose is the thing that really sealed it for me .
The edges are paralle to each other but at a fourty degree angle or so and with the hollow grind between the
edges creates the sort of blade that one can visualise the effect it would have on flesh and it makes one cringe .
A very nast piece of work ! Peter Johnson had just gone over it that morning and gave it high marks which
was a really nice little "cool " in the deal . The stats are still up on the Albion site . A really fabulous
piece of work and worth every penny that I shouldn't have spent .
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan-
I agree fully. I wanted that piece, too. It's very unique in the reproduction market and I was glad to see Eric make it! Get some more photos of it before you take it back out to New York, eh?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Allan !

Is there a photo about , of the original, that this was based on ?

Nice work , Eric ! Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Fri 20 Feb, 2004 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Congrats Allan !

Is there a photo about , of the original, that this was based on ?

Nice work , Eric ! Mac

Unfortunately, no, Peter did not have photos of the piece in the Museum of London, but he remembered the stats very well. We actually drew this out at his dining room table, and discussed the objective that I was to meet...a lot like school again, but well worth it. While I did not manage to hit all of my measurements, it was well within what was reasonable for the piece. Peter (as is his way... Happy ....) offered a few comments, but overall he said it was a great piece (not bragging). That means a lot to me. It also means a lot to me that Allan would buy it. He's the kinda guy who has been around a lot of weapons and he knows his stuff...so it is quite a compliment for him to buy it.

Thanks for the nice words Mac!

We miss you!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Longdagger by Randal - where the heck did I see it for sale?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic