Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new to forum Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy Butterfield

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: new to forum         Reply with quote

hiya, my name is Jeremy. Im new to this forum, i have great hopes you can help me identify a great sword (not actually a "greatsword" but rather a great sword) that was willed to me by my late grandfather. I was there when he purchased this blade 26 yrs ago in england at an antiquities shop, he purchased this and several other maces and blades. Upon his return from england he placed this blade on his wall with his other treasures of a long life. As a child I used to stare and dream about the goblins and heathens i slew with it, and rarely oh so rarely he let me unsheath it and hold it. Please keep in mind at the time i was but a child and this was a great adventure for me. Like all great men, his long life eventually came to an end . In my greif, my tears still wet on my cheeks I was given this great blade,to treat it like crystal for the last decade or so. I am extremely curious about any information about this beloved sword of mine, as i said dollar worth is nothing compared to the sentimental value i have placed on it. I hope these links work for you.[url]http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/daynne11/detail?.dir=d486re2&.dnm=da26re2.jpg&.src=ph [/url][url]http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/daynne11/detail?.dir=d486re2&.dnm=f066re2.jpg&.src=ph [/url]
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This seems reminiscent of the indonesian or the Burmese dha style, I would look to that area of the world for an answer.
What do the carvings show?
JCH

Bon coeur et bon bras
Hal Siegel
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's called a "dha", native to the Thailand/Cambodia area. That particular style with the carved grip and carved sheath was made for export in Thailand, circa the Vietnam War.

Similar souvenir dha:

Slightly older (1900 to 1930 ish):

Early to mid 1800's:

(Tip of the burgonet to B.S. for summoning me to answer this whatsit Happy )

Hal Siegel - TherionArms
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
Jeremy Butterfield

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: dha         Reply with quote

My humblest of thankyou's. I can't believe that after years of searching I had chanced upon your website a few months ago and just now registered. Not even 6 hours later i have the answers to questions that plagued me for nearly 20 yrs.. thank you thank you thank you. I am simply over joyed. Also thankyou for the PM i was sent you are all very generous to take the time to answer my questions without even knowing me.. simply thank you Jeremy Butterfield
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Come for the dha, stay for the longswords! Big Grin
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Come for the dha, stay for the longswords! Big Grin

Then you can tell everyone what a knight you've had.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought one of those in Ubon, Thailand, near the Cambodian border, in 1970 and still have it around the house, somewhere. Never knew what it was called until now. Paid the equivalent of $5 for it and was told by some of the other GIs that I could have gotten it for $2. Oh well.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > new to forum
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic