Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sometimes a piece grabs you Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Sometimes a piece grabs you         Reply with quote

You know, we tend to ohh and ahhh over the elaborate or mroe overwhelming swords. Every now and again there comes along something simple that just evokes a feeling. I am talking about the rather plain Medieval Knife #160 by A&A. For some reason, I just like this little knife. I can see a weary warrior putting away his two-hander or bastard sword after a hard day's battle and using this knife to eat a roast chicken he found wandering the battlefield. The men talk about the battle, home and the coming campaign over chicken and bad wine before exhaustion takes them and they fall asleep on the hard ground. I know, I know my imagination is running away here, but isn't that part of why we collect and buy swords in the first palce? For me it is a big part of it. Anyway, here is a pic of that nice little knife.

Attachment: 10.96 KB
160.jpg

James Byrnes

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: hehe         Reply with quote

Hmm,

Not sure I would be eating any roast chicken I found wandering around a battlefield, bad juju there man.

James

PS- I understand your sentiments however.

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree Joel. I've always ben fascinated by these smaller items of everyday kit. I'm especially interested in A&As ballock knife set for that same reason.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: hehe         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
Hmm,

Not sure I would be eating any roast chicken I found wandering around a battlefield, bad juju there man.

When I see a roast chicken wandering anywhere, it will be a first! Laughing Out Loud

As for the A&A knife, it is a real sweet little knife. Somehow, with all the swords and other macho medieval weaponry around, the small essentials are forgotten.

My sword site
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: That's a beautiful set Patrick         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I agree Joel. I've always ben fascinated by these smaller items of everyday kit. I'm especially interested in A&As ballock knife set for that same reason.

I saw that set online and it's a beauty. You know, sometimes I think that A&A does themselves sort of a disservice by not getting themselves as much exposure on the custom things they do. Some people tend to think that because they have a set catalog Christian, Craig and the boys don't do anything else. Then I think it's a matter of perception. Not to knock anyone here, but a newer company has the benefit of wowing us with new products whereas a steady, established one like A&A may appear as stale. I certainly don't believe any of this myself, but I think A&A often gets overlooked on some of the better things they do. Certainly, it's a better state of affairs than 20 years ago when you either had a choice between custom or cheap stuff. How many of you believe that us banding togehter through the internet has improved production quality and given opportunities to vendors who otherwise would not be able to afford a traditional business? I think this is true. It would seem that smiths also enjoy the benefits of imporved communication and a more demanding (?) customer. Love to hear from you sword makers on this one. I realize that media also helps drive some of this. Every sucessful Conan or Braveheart helps to get someone new into swords and though all may not stay so, a few move on to become interested in the true historical aspects of the sword, thus increasing our ranks. I wonder also if we are experienceing another upsruge in "all things mdieval" like the Victorian movement? I love pondering such things though my poind may be shallow :-)
Esa Etelävuori

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sometimes a piece grabs you         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
You know, we tend to ohh and ahhh over the elaborate or mroe overwhelming swords. Every now and again there comes along something simple that just evokes a feeling. I am talking about the rather plain Medieval Knife #160 by A&A..

That's a very beautiful and simple little thing there. I definetily dig it!
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a fan of some of the simpler designs out there, and I like knives and daggers just as much as their larger cousins so I've always been a fan of the A&A daggers, and that knife in particular. It is one of those items I have been eyeing for a long time, but have never actually gotten around to purchasing. Maybe that is what I'll do for my birthday this year...(being a student kind of keeps my sword related purchases few and far between).

As for the other point Joel brings up about the sword community banding together through the internet, and thus improving the market for both maker and buyer; well I know it has help me. Ten years ago I didn't even know you could buy functional swords at all. With the discovery of the net I learned more about swords, and eventually bought my first Atrim from Christian Fletcher. I would never have heard of either of these fine fellows if it was not for the sword community online, and would probably still be buying stainless wallhangers.

Are we in a medieval/sword renaissance? I'm not sure it has reached the fashionability of the Victorian era revival, but for those in the know it is definintely a good time for the sword community.
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love that knife, and it has been part of my kit for several years now :-)
Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the A&A as well as the Albion scale tang knife. Both very nice.
http://www.albionarmorers.com/daggers/scaletang.htm

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sometimes a piece grabs you
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic