Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim DS1501 Sword Set? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam N.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Angus Trim DS1501 Sword Set?         Reply with quote

I have found a set of swords on www.leesarmoury.com (The Armoury, Wasilla Alaska) called the DS1501 Sword Set. It includes a longsword, a "single hand sword" and a "shortsword". I have searched the myArmoury forums and the rest of the internet for any more mention about these swords but have turned up nothing. Literally, the only Google result was for www.leesarmoury.com.

Does anyone know absolutely anything about these swords? It's quite unsettling that no-one else on the internet has ever mentioned it. Angus, can you confirm if these swords were made by you?

Attachment: 36.03 KB
DS1501set.JPG
The sword set in question:
John Facundus

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sam, I have seen these before, I believe it is some of Angus Trims earlier work from 6 or more years back if I remember correctly. I own a few things by Angus and they are terrific. I have never handeled these models, but I have seen them. Good luck, John F.
"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." Marcus Tulius Cicero
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guy that owns that store is a frequent member here...search the "makers and Manufacturers section
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep. They are definately early ATrims. Lee was one of Gus's earliest vendors and one of the few that are still around. I've bought items from him before. Very easy to deal with.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Yep. They are definately early ATrims. Lee was one of Gus's earliest vendors and one of the few that are still around. I've bought items from him before. Very easy to deal with.

I'll second Jason's comments. Lee is a good guy to deal with.

These are just models Gus retired. Good value for a set of cutters, especially since the prices are shipping included! At least to the US anyway. Too bad you're in Ottawa Sam. Sad I had mine shipped to an American friend and picked it up on the next visit.

Good hunting. Wink
Sam N.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Whoo... Thanks.         Reply with quote

Thank you. I was worried that this set might have been bad or perhaps even fake Eek! ! Thankfully, you have informed me otherwise. This means I have FINALLY FOUND AN AFFORDABLE SET OF CUTTERS Big Grin! I will definitely be buying these Happy! All my homework has finally payed off. Just one last question: how do these swords compare to MRL/Windlass in terms of performance?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Whoo... Thanks.         Reply with quote

Sam N. wrote:
Just one last question: how do these swords compare to MRL/Windlass in terms of performance?

In terms of performance and durability, ATrim swords are so much better than Windlass models that there is really no comparison.
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,

I have 4 of these early ATrim swords from Lee (though no 1501s), and several new models from Gus made in the last year. They all compare very closely. The new models are a bit more heavily constructed, but they all handle like ATrims are expected to. That is to say, very well. The thing that differentiates these early swords are the simple wood grips and the simplicity of the designs.

I don't own a lot of swords from Windlass, and none are of the same type as any of my ATrims, so I couldn't actually comment on a direct comparison. But I think you will be very favorable impressed with these ATrim blades if performance is the paramount criteria.

And I must agree with everyone's assessment of Lee. He's a fine retailer to deal with. Very prompt with delivery and open in his communication.
Sam N.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: 1" at cross?         Reply with quote

I just noticed now that the measurements say that the blade is only 1" wide at the cross. Isn't that a little thin for a longsword made for cutting?
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an Atrim short sword from the same time period as those pictured and it's been a great sword! I've pretty much abused the sword and except for the very tip of it breaking off (it's a type XVIII with a very narrow and thin tip that broke off when I accidently thrust it into the solid steel frame of an OLD office chair) and it's held up very well.

Attachment: 53.96 KB
IMAG0021.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Angus Trim DS1501 Sword Set?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic