Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about MRL German war hammer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Question about MRL German war hammer         Reply with quote

First I hope that this is in the correct area. Second, I did a search and found nothing about this particualr item from MRL. In their Specials section they have what they are calling a German war hammer. I was wondering the following about it.

1. Any ideas about what time period this hammer would be representative of? Could it pass for use during the time period around 1350?

2. Does anyone own one of these? If so any comments on it's construction and feel would be great. First hand useage bashing on something would be even better!

I hope I get this linked properly, here goes:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/detail.aspx?ID=750
Travis C.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own one of these hammers. I bought it a year or so ago from MRL's special closeout insert in their catalogure for $69 ( a good deal I think). I believe that it is still "on sale" with MRL for that same price. I have seen it at Ren-Faires for $150 (NOT a good deal IMO.)

LOOKS: It is 21 1/4 inches long. The head is 5 inches long X 1 1/8 inch across. The hardwood handle was rather light in color but I put some linseed oil on it in several coats and it darkened up nicely. The steel is not highly polised nor very bright which is one reason why I ordered it. I have worn it twice to a faire and got favorable comments on its looks both times.

PERFORMANCE: I had to demolish some reinforced cemented masonry tile in my bathroom and started off using just this hammer. I bashed the **** out of it against that tile and the pointy end did a fairly good job for about 15 minutes of abuse. I then turned it over and bashed some more with the claw-hammer end and after about 15 hits ( hard one-handed hits) the top -most "claw" broke off. Judging by the look of the broken area, I guessed that it is some kind of cast or injection molded steel. Overall I would say that it held up quite well considering what it was made for and the abuse I put it through. The entire head bent back slightly but it held tightly against the wood, no doubt due to the shank and pins that run down the side of the wood handle. If it were made of forged steel surely it would have performed better but cost much more. (disclaimer: I am not forged that it is not forged , but it looked just like injected molded steel to me.) I glued the broken piece back on with epoxy and keep it just for a costume piece now.

I would buy it again for the $69 price because it is fairly rugged and I think it looks cool. Don't know anything about how authentic looking it is or for which time period. Hope this helps...
Travis C.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: correction         Reply with quote

correction: should read: "( disclaimer: I am not sure that it is not forged, but..."
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: correction         Reply with quote

Travis C. wrote:
correction: should read: "( disclaimer: I am not sure that it is not forged, but..."

Just a note: If you find that you made a huge or any typo in a post or just want to change or add something you can just " click " on the (E) the Edit button and just make the correction rather than making another post.

I do this all the time as I usually notice my mistakes after I click the submit button in spite of using a spell checker.

Oh, and just general advice to anyone reading this post. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis, thank you for the reply. The information is exactly what I was looking for. Note to self, do not use to try and break apart a castle wall. Go for the gate with an axe. Big Grin

If anyone else can chime in here it would be greatly appreciated.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a previous brief discussion on it: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6354
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, Thank you very much for the link. Quite informative and gives me some things to consider.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about MRL German war hammer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic