Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rehilting an antique blade, sacrilege or not. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Rehilting an antique blade, sacrilege or not.         Reply with quote

Dear All,
Being an ardent Scot the epitome of my collecting would be the aquisition of a good quality 17th or 18th century basket hilted broadsword or backsword unfortunately fiscal constraints make this unlikely at the moment but I do have an alternative. I have always hankered after a Claidheamh Crom, basket hilted cutlass or sabre, and I have in my possession a genuine mid 18th century hanger or cutlass blade complete with G.R. stamps and a leather scabbard. There are two good quality swordsmiths within easy reach, Castle Keep on the Isle of Skye and Armour Class in Glasgow, and it would be simple enough to have them make and fit an appropriately "antiqued" basket hilt contemporary to the blade. I assume it would also be easy enough to resurrect the scabbard to an appropriate state as the leather is all present and in reasonable condition and it would only mean the reinstating of the missing metalwork. Although there are plenty of historical precedents for the refurbishment and rehilting of older blades I wonder if in this day and age when the real work of a sword such as this is no longer required could the necessary work be carried out with any justification as it would certainly mean the integrity of a 250 year old blade would be compromised.
I would be interested in the views and comments of any member with an opinion on the above.
Regards,
Norman.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tend to be conservative as far as antiques are concerned (only as far as antiques are concerned, in fact). But even I have no objection to your project. I wouldn't touch a complete weapon, but with just the blade....

As far as I know, these hangers are quite common and inexpensive, so you wouldn't be defacing an historically important artifact or burning piles of cash. Most importantly, your project would be reversible, and that's a key consideration as far as artifacts are concerned. If need be, you could simply remove the new hilt and scabbard furniture and return the blade and scabbard to their previous state.

My choice would be to have the blade and scabbard conserved (not restored) and then do as you suggest, creating an antiqued hilt and scabbard furniture. You should certainly spend the money to get a hilt as historically accurate as possible--no fantasy, Scott-ish or "could-have-been" stuff. I'd suggest looking long and hard for an original with a blade like yours and have its hilt reproduced for yours.

You have a cultural advantage here, too. The Scots seem to have been particularly frugal, repeatedly rehilting and/or altering old blades to update them. Nobody can say that it's not historically appropriate for you to do the same, especially as you're giving an historically appropriate new life to a "damaged" weapon.

My last advice concerns the manufacturer. Personally, I would head straight for Eljay Erickson, who has a great deal of experience with these weapons and makes some of the finest baskets around. Anything he does for you will be perfect and a great bargain to boot. You'll wait a little while, but you'll never regret it.
Good luck!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the blade is not already mounted then I would say it would be appropriate, as long as the work is done to high quality standards with plausible materials. A hack job on something like this would be unfortunate. It would certainly be a good idea to thoruoghly photograph and document the blade before doing anything to it, and any modifications to the blade itself should be minimal and true to how it would have been done in period.
Dismounting an antique sword in order to modify it is a big no-no in my mind but an unmounted blade without any particular significance and in private hands is a bit different, at least in my opinion. Others may well disagree, but if the job is well and accurately done I don't see a problem with it, it should increase the value and also the historical interest to have a complete weapon, even if it is a composite. There are a number of makers who can probably do a very nice job, Eljay and The Mad Piper come to mind but are not close to you, I think. Paul Macdonald is closer and did a very interesting restoration project recently which he generously shared here- http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=80549
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

See this thread, among others, for examples of E.B. Erickson's Scottish work:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=eljay

Note the turcael....

Eljay has another quality of particular significance in your case--he's an experienced arms and armour restorer:

http://eljay.myArmoury.com/

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I almost forgot something very important! The inside of the new basket and the reverse of the scabbard furniture should be dated or otherwise marked to indicate that they're new. Eljay does this anyway to prevent forgery, but you should be sure to ask anyone you hire to do the same. The blade will complicate authentication if the piece ever leaves your collection, and it's all too easy to pass off as antique a good-quality, unmarked composite weapon.
-Sean

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat project! Not to be sounding like a radical, but if you own the blade you can do whatever you darn well like with it. NOT that I'm suggesting you grind it into an Elven sword or tent stakes or anything like that!! I fully agree with the others who recommend doing as accurate and historical job as possible. Even if the leather of the scabbard is in good shape, I'd be more inclined to make a new one from scratch, following the original as closely as possible. Since you have to add new fittings anyway, that just makes sense to me, and you don't risk damaging the leather if it should prove to be weaker than you thought.

My current passion is the Bronze Age, and for a long time I have dreamed of buying an inexpensive original dagger or short sword to polish up and rehilt. Part of the attraction would be that I could be certain that it was entirely accurate in shape and weight! It's REALLY hard to find accurate reproductions of these things. But partly it's my radical streak coming through, the chance to see some conservative old curator freak out over an artifact being CLEANED and USED! Oh, the horror! "You've destroyed it's historical value!!" Yada, yada. Well, no, not really--things like Canaanite daggers are almost literally a dime a dozen on the antiquities market, and the vast majority are considered looted finds, either recent or from several generations back. According to the pros, these antiques HAVE no historical value, and many authorities on ancient weaponry won't study or publish anything in a private collection (unless it has a proven legal provenance). So, why not put the thing to the use that the man who made it intended? (Aside from actually attacking anyone with it!) And on the most basic level, some dagger blades can cost less than a hundred bucks, whereas a good repro may cost twice that. Gee, there's a tough call!

So, yes, do a very good job, but go for it!

Matthew
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the restorer will just add perfectly rebuilt missing parts who would be built with original techniques and authentic materials it would be just an original sword with parts made in different periods.

It is only a question of dealing with a real restorer, some names seem to have been suggested already.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few years back, I purchased an antique blade off eBay for a fairly decent price. The provinance was questionable; however the blade was in fine (although patinated) shape, with a very good temper, and it had never been sharpened, and may never have been mounted before. I purchased it specifically as a project blade; I ended up shipping it to Vince Evans. I think it was he who mentioned that the blade might be a cavalry palasche blade from the very early 19th century. I had it mounted in a Glasgow-style Horseman's basket hilt, perhaps up to a hundred years off (but then again, maybe not), and ended up with a beautiful, unique, and lively sword.

I'd say go for it, so long as you're not destroying a sword just to use the blade (and since it's a loose blade, you're obviously not doing that).

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear All,
First of all many thanks for your thoughts on this subject. I have posted some photos of the actual blade this time. It is obviously stained and slightly pitted with age but I personally don't mind this and if anything I think it adds to the individuality of the piece. A dilemma has arisen, unitentionally, with this project on which I would like some opinion. I told a friend of mine my intentions and he has given me a brass basket that he dug up from goodness knows where, photos of basket posted as well. It is well made and solid but it is, I think, the British Army 1828 pattern basket for Highland Officers and not quite what I had in mind. There are plenty of instances of brass being used for baskets so that wouldn't necessarily be a problem neither would the fact of it being British Army pattern as this was introduced after the blade was produced and I actually think there was an instance of a Scottish Royal Naval Officer having his naval hanger rehilted with this pattern basket in brass. I could of course remodel the basket getting rid of the hearts with careful cutting and filing, but, would this be in the spirit of the excercise or merely a cost cutting option.
Regards,
Norman.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the basket an antique? If so, and if you like the antique basket, give it an appropriate antique or repro blade. Don't modify it. Better to have a composite antique 1828 and your original project. Don't go with the brass basket just because it's convenient. You'll regret it, especially if you alter it.

If it's not an antique, knock yourself out. You'll never know how it'll look until you try it.

-Sean

Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apologies I forgot to add blade photos to previous post, remedied here.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Sean,
Am inclined to agree, brass basket was not what I had in mind but I'm sure I can find a repro blade somewhere or maybe even have a go at making one for myself that would suit. I live in the West End of Glasgow so Glasgows' Museum and Art Gallery is a gentle half hours walk away therefore no lack of real 17th and 18th basket hilts to have a look at. Have posted photos of blade I intend to use.
Regards,
Norman.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What does the stamp on the tang look like?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Jonathan,
Hope these photos help.
Regards,
Norman
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if the tang will be long enough for a basket and conical pommel. If not, you could have a simple 17th c. hanger hilt, with pommel cap, made for this. You could make that yourself pretty easily.
-Sean

Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,
Do you have any examples of what you have in mind. It would certainly be worth considering as it would appear to be both cost effective and historically accurate.
Regards,
Norman.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Norman McCormick wrote:
Hi Sean,
Do you have any examples of what you have in mind. It would certainly be worth considering as it would appear to be both cost effective and historically accurate.
Regards,
Norman.

This is the sort of thing I mean:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_ebe_hanger.html

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_odf_hanger.html

You could have various kinds of pommels, including just a flat plate.

-Sean

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could also have a similarly short/flat(ish) pommel in an 18th century style:

English Infantry Hanger c.1740

English Infantry Hanger c.1740-1760 (from Ken Drake Antique Arms)

British Infantry Officer's sword c.1780 (from Harvey Withers' British Military Swords)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Rehilting an antique blade, sacrilege or not.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic