Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seventeenth-century proof marks Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Veronica W.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Seventeenth-century proof marks         Reply with quote

Hi, I'm doing research for a book set around the time of the War of the Three Kingdoms. Can anyone point me to information about the history of proof marks on British firearms in the 17th century? I've read that such marks originated in the 1630s.

I'm wondering, who placed the proof-mark on a weapon? The government? The arms maker? My searches only turn up information that skirts around the issue.

thanks so much!

Veronica W.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Veronica;

"Most" proof marks on firearms were/are placed there by government inspectors. Sometimes it was a town (such as Milan, or Augsburg, or London), sometimes by the Crown (England), and at other times by the manufactures themselves. (Some of course were counterfiets placed by the makers as well.) The proof marks were intended to announce quality control had been adhered to and "proven" by the inspectors.

For firearms, the standard was to take a batch of barrels, load them with (usually) whatever was considered to be a "standard" load of powder, and two tight-fitting lead balls (though occasionally they were double charges with a single ball for the "proof" charge, though a simple overload is standard today). The loaded barrels were placed horizontally in a rack, with a powder train being poured over the touch-holes so that a single light would set off all of them, and then fired. The increased pressure was considered sufficient to prove the the barrel would withstand normal usage.

The only English proof mark I've seen from the period is a cross on a shield. I'm sure that there were others as well, but I'm not familiar enough with them to say.

I hope that this is of some help to you,

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Veronica W.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Gordon! That's of tremendous help.

best,

Veronica

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seventeenth-century proof marks
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic