Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need opinions on 1st sword purchase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Donna K. Fitch

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Need opinions on 1st sword purchase         Reply with quote

I recently received a 15-year service award at the university where I work and decided to use the money to buy a sword. (Not sure there's a logic there, but nevertheless...) I've always wanted a real one (as opposed to the World Bazaar one a friend gave me in high school--although I still cherish it). I've been researching and have narrowed the field to 4 choices, but as I've learned from my research, it's important to make an informed choice. Here are the parameters:

I have $300 to spend. No more than that. This has led me to MRL. I've read the caveats and pros and cons, but I think they're the place for me right now, as a beginning.

I'm leaning toward late 15th-early 16th century swords. I love the look of the rapiers, but I think I want to go with a longsword right now. I plan to start training with a longsword waster soon, and would eventually like to train with the sword.

Days and days of dithering, researching and gazing fondly have brought me to these possibilities: Beauge Sword, Early Renaissance Long Sword, High Renaissance Sword and Irish Hand-and-a-Half.

Do any of you have experience with these MRL swords? Advice on which is better? Something I've completely overlooked that would be a better choice?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Donna K. Fitch
donna@donnakfitch.com
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Donna,

I am a relatively new to the sword community, and there are many kind people at this forum who will dwarf my knowledge in this regard and could give you more substantial advice. However I could not stop the temptation to bring to your attention that there are almost as expensive swords out there that might be better quality. Have you considered Del Tin? The price tags are just a bit havier but you would be purchasing a good quality weapon. And yes they are more than $300, but there are some fine 15-16c pieces less than $350. Check the Albion site or Art Elwell's A Work of Art site for exact prices and sword info if you are interested of course. I understand that you have set your budget to $300, but since you are interested in training and hopefully test cutting, I would be willing to chip few extra bucks and get a solid, respectable piece, that will be less likely to get damaged soon. On the bright side I have heard that MRL has improved within the past few years, so you might be able to get a decent piece from them.

In any case, I have no personal experience with MRL, so I cannot give you any practical advise there. Check, if you haven't, the review articles in this forum, as there are quite a few of reviews of MRL products. That may be a very valuable source of information.

Good luck with your purchase(s)

Alexi
Andy Fritz

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have recently ordered from MRL. I got the Irish hand and a half. It will be my first sword. I too was aware of MRL's hit and miss quality, but I figure if anything is wrong with it, I'll return the peice and request another, if it's still poor quality, I'll get my money back, as I have heard that MRL has a really good return policv (as long as you don't ask for additional sharpening). After much thought I settled on MRL for the price, and for the look of their paticular version of the sword I wanted. I talked to another forum member here who has this sword and he was satisfied with it.
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Donna,

The usual advice you will get from any sword discussion forum is to save and get someting nice, because you will quickly tire of a cheap sword. I REALLY dislike most MRL products these days.

The Beauge & late renaissance have too short of a hilt for a 2-handed grip, so won't work for longsword work.
Early Renaisance LS might do. Irish has that ring-hilt that'll interfere in LS work.

If you are into longsword and like the rapier look, there is a DT that is a bit of both. Of course it DOES break your budget, but I'd bet you'd be much happier with it:

http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt2160.htm

(author recieves no kick-backs from Del-tin or DT dealers) Happy
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second Jeff's comments.

I bought a MRL...held it for approximately 45 seconds and sent it back. I bought a del tin soon afterwards and was impressed how much $50-75 worth of difference in quality there was.

Albion is top-notch as well, you can't go wrong whether you buy a $5.00 buckle or a $500 sword from them.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For Del Tins, there is the DT5143, at $319.00 -- http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt5143.htm

Can anyone recommend a particular Lutel longsword? Though at around $350.00 + shipping, maybe just a little too much.

If I had to choose between those 3 MRL's, I'd pick the Early Renaissance sword - I'm a sucker for type XIX's.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also like to recommend the All Saints clearance/specials page. Josh usually has some good deals posted that he is trying to clear out. Some of them (sometimes) come close to the budget in question. May make for a little delay of the instant gratification but its worth looking into.

If this is a got to have it now situation, or even if its not, I also concur with the Albion Del Tin option.

With the dollar trading low, Lutels are probably too pricey unless you get lucky and find one second hand.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My advice is, have patience and check the classified section of SFI and this forum daily. I have seen many swords sold at near-bargain prices. If cost is the prime concern, a lightly-used sword is probably the best option for you. This will enable you to purchase a better quality sword for a price that is within or very near your budget. For example, you might be able to purchase an Angus Trim, a Del Tin, or an Albion First Generation piece for about what you are planning to spend on an MRL.

Brian M
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Can anyone recommend a particular Lutel longsword? Though at around $350.00 + shipping, maybe just a little too much.

Don't forget Lutel's come with very nice scabbards and belts included in that price. Great to have for transporting or wearing your sword. Although, come to think of it, Museum Replicas stuff generally comes with scabbards as well. Lutel would probably be better quality, though.
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
For Del Tins, there is the DT5143, at $319.00 -- http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt5143.htm

If I had to choose between those 3 MRL's, I'd pick the Early Renaissance sword - I'm a sucker for type XIX's.

I purchased a LUTEL 15010 which I received in September. Very good sword for what I paid. The weapon is quite nice in the hands and while the pommel is a bit unusual, it is pretty cool. Since I wear gloves when I practice with steel I have no trouble with the pommel. In fact I find it is quite nice for directional control when swinging the sword by the pommel...

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Cor Böhms

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go for the Del Tin. They are strong and look much more historicaly then lutel ore many other, much more expencieve brands! ( come on boys, about heavy)
Audacia magia est
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a few good swords, including an Irish Long Sword, in the Mercenary Line at All Saints Blades (check the Links Page for the address). They run about $370, but if you're looking for a good training sword you can't go wrong with AT Happy
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Donna K. Fitch

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Decision made, Was Need opinions on 1st sword purchase         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responded! I've ordered the MRL Irish Hand and a Half, and plan to write up a review of it when it comes. I now have my longsword wasters (Thanks, Sean!) so now the training begins.

Donna

Donna K. Fitch
donna@donnakfitch.com
Andy Fritz

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recieved the Irish hand and a half yesterday, and it looks like I won the MRL quality crap shoot. It's well balanced and sturdy. I checked the hilt, the blade finish, and flex. Everything checked out. A couple of minor short comings, but for what I paid, I'm pretty happy with it. Test cuts will come pretty soon, but overall I think it's a good sword, especially for a "low end" weapon.
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Hey Andy What Part of Colorado?         Reply with quote

Hey Andy,

I noticed you are in Colorado as well. We have a local WMa group in the Denver area, are you training with anyone? Feel free to drop a Pm my way if you'd like.

James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need opinions on 1st sword purchase
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic