Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial Impressions: Cold Steel ShamshirProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Initial Impressions: Cold Steel Shamshir         Reply with quote

Shamshir

This is the first in what will hopefully many reviews I am going to conduct in conjunction with kultofathena.com. To clear up any bias, what Ryan with kultofathena is allowing for myself, is to pay for shipping a sword to me and back. I am then allowed to handle the sword and return in as close to original condition as possible. If you find these product reviews beneficial, please contact KOA with thanks, and suggest any future items for this format to myself, and I will add them to the review queue.

Stats:

Weight: 1lbs 13.8 ounces
Overall Length: approx. 36 and ½ inches
Grip: 4 inches
Blade Length: approx. 30 and 7/8 inches
Blade Width at Cross: 1 and ¼ inches
Crossguard: 6 and ½ inches
Point of Balance: approx. 7.5 inches from cross
Blade Width at End of Fuller: 1 and 1/8 inches
Total Blade Curve: approx. 5 inches

Initial Impressions:
Highly polished blade, tight fittings, elegant and deadly. Light and fast.

Appearance:
Wow, what an attractive set of proportions. The faux buffalo horn handle looks like the real deal, even up close. The brass guard pieces fit very well with the handle/blade combination. The blade has a wicked shape and terminates in an acute point. The quillons (for lack of a better term at the moment) on the guard are a feature that the stock photos don’t do justice to. The exposed pins attaching the handle to the tang are smooth and unobtrusive to the eye. The fuller along the spine of the blade is even and well cut. I would say the only thing that struck me visually is that the blade is so small and narrow. I was expecting the blade to be beefier like the Cold Steel Sabres. This blade looks delicate in comparison. The edge geometry strikes me as fitting of a single edge curved blade, and the overall curve of the blade is appealing.

Handling:
My initial feeling wielding the blade is that you could wield this all day. Its very light compared to the normal swords I am used to handling. From what I understand, many people are worried as to how secure of a grip you can get with the faux handle. I can honestly say I put the sword through some very fast movements and was unconcerned about my ability to keep a firm hold on the blade. The handle’s knob firmly anchors it in your hand through slashing and cutting exercises. This particular version of a Shamshir strikes me as a dedicated cutter that allows for some thrusting ability as well. I did not enjoy thrusting movements with it as well as I expected. To compare, I felt very good using the Cold Steel Napoleon Sabre to thrust, as I felt it had excellent point control. I do not enjoy the same point control with this sword. I feel this is mainly due to the extreme curve of the blade. Perhaps someone used to more serious fencing/saber work than myself would be unbothered by this. Secondly, I feel this sword could use a bit more weight in the blade near the prime cutting area. I don’t maintain that is historical for this type of sword. I would hazard a guess that cuts made closer to the tip would be less forgiving/damaging than similar sabers/blade types, such as the Cold Steel 1796. That being said, this is certainly a quicker blade because of its reduced weight.

What you should expect:
Attractive piece that is a pleasure to handle. Tight fittings, sharp edge and generally deadly appearance. The intimidation factor on this thing is huge. It looks like a weapon you would not wish to face. The scabbard is only leather with a brass throat and chape, but its sturdy enough. Compared to most Windlass scabbards (which this is very similar to) I’d say this is slightly sturdier.
I am not an expert or even that familiar with historical Shamshirs. But I doubt anyone wishing to own a modern recreation of such would be interested in this piece. If someone wanted a Shamshir styled weapon. This will do lovely.
I think for the price, this is a heck of a deal as an elegant, fun and efficient backyard cutter. It would certainly stand out in most collections. I would bet that it would be the first sword in your collection most people would ask to handle.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your views, I got this sword awhile back and I enjoy it alot. I have noticed a strange kind of "floaty" feeling when I swing it like it is riding on a cusion of air. Have you noticed this also or is it all in my head? As far as cutting my first time out with it is also the first time that I have ever left the cut portion of the milk jug still sitting on the the bottom part Eek!
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to my experience, usually when wielding a light weighted but relatively forward balanced sword, such feeling exists. Example: tulwar, shamshir, dao, jian... etc.

Shawn Henthorn wrote:
Thanks for your views, I got this sword awhile back and I enjoy it alot. I have noticed a strange kind of "floaty" feeling when I swing it like it is riding on a cusion of air. Have you noticed this also or is it all in my head? As far as cutting my first time out with it is also the first time that I have ever left the cut portion of the milk jug still sitting on the the bottom part Eek!

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn,

What do you think of the grip. Is it something you like? Some initial complaints people had was that it was either slick or rubbery. I felt neither was the case. What about you?

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, yes I really like the grip also my only complaint is that I would like to see it be about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter. It is not slick for me but kind of "sticky" for lack of a better description but I like that .
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, somehow I missed this review.

Very well done!

It looks like a nice sword, overall, and one that I wouldn't mind pairing with my other repro shamshir (an armart).
I have to wonder where it was made. Does the blade have any kind of markings?
I guess the reason that I most curious is that "faux" horn grip. One would think if it was made in India, it would have been real horn, as that is quite common and available in the region (and not too terribly expensive).

Either way, if the blade is decent, it shouldn't be too much trouble to regrip it.
I too like the guard . . . .
The specs are very similar to my armart shamshir, which is dreamy to handle (though not the world's greatest cutter). Thrusting with that weapon is very easy, however, and I'd love to be able to compare.

Thank you for a great review, Mike.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Sun 23 Sep, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great review. A lot of non-European swords can be very satisfying and fun to handle. I have a very light Dao by Kris Cutlery which is one of my favorite cutters as the price point enables me to cut and cleave without wincing. It also is a curved blade, with a wicked point, but feels awkward in the thrust.

Great Review!
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Mike, a question I forgot to ask . . . . is the tang visible along the sides of the grip scales? I can't tell from the photos.
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:
Hey Mike, a question I forgot to ask . . . . is the tang visible along the sides of the grip scales? I can't tell from the photos.

The tang is not visible at all save the two pins in the handle. I imagine it would be quite difficult to remove the grip. The faux horn would prove tough to get off I'd wager. But this is certainly a sword I will be buying soon, as I only got it as a review piece earlier.

Thanks!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
John Cooksey wrote:

The tang is not visible at all save the two pins in the handle. I imagine it would be quite difficult to remove the grip. The faux horn would prove tough to get off I'd wager. But this is certainly a sword I will be buying soon, as I only got it as a review piece earlier.

Thanks!

Hmmm . . . that's a bit odd. So, basically, they slid the entire handle around the tang, and then pinned it through? Probably with some epoxy or other adhesive to make it extra secure . . . . . ?

Shawn Henthorn

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah it seems to be more of a typical Talwar construction than a shamshir. I wouldn't say there are no shamshirs made this way but I have not seen one.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial Impressions: Cold Steel ShamshirProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic