Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Drawing the dao Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Drawing the dao         Reply with quote

I recently came across this picture of Ming-era musketeers(?) from Wikipedia. The method of wearing the dao looks a little unfamiliar since I've only ever seen it attached this way on the left side of the body and I haven't managed to figure out how to draw it if the sword is placed exactly the way it is in this picture. The possibilities are a) there's a method of drawing that I'm not aware yet or b) the picture has been accidentally mirrored (which is unlikely, considering the alignment of the firearms).

FYI, I know how to draw a gladius placed on the right side, but I'm not sure even a more extreme version of that technique would work with this setup.

Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Attachment: 51.99 KB
Ming_musketeers.jpg

Duosi Ji

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawing the dao         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
I recently came across this picture of Ming-era musketeers(?) from Wikipedia. The method of wearing the dao looks a little unfamiliar since I've only ever seen it attached this way on the left side of the body and I haven't managed to figure out how to draw it if the sword is placed exactly the way it is in this picture. The possibilities are a) there's a method of drawing that I'm not aware yet or b) the picture has been accidentally mirrored (which is unlikely, considering the alignment of the firearms).

FYI, I know how to draw a gladius placed on the right side, but I'm not sure even a more extreme version of that technique would work with this setup.

Would anyone care to enlighten me?
Yes, I just found out that many historical drawings (and sculptures) had pictured swords hung to the right. I don't know how they were drawn though.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Drawing the dao
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic