Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Jody Samson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 14 Feb, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Additiionally,,,

Does anyone actually own a Jody Samson blade? They're beautiful for sure, but how do they handle?
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 14 Feb, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would hope they're well made, balanced, etc... but I heard the Atlantean and Father's Sword are very heavy and impractical for actual use. Hmm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 14 Feb, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Croushore wrote:
Additiionally,,,

Does anyone actually own a Jody Samson blade? They're beautiful for sure, but how do they handle?

I handled quite a few JS swords while at Albion back in September. With rare exception they all handled very well.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own Jody's awesome Carolingian sword. Let me tell you, I have a hard time putting her down. The sword is a beast that still feels wonderful in the hand. It's one of those swords that just feels right when weilded. Jody definitely knows how to make a well balanced weapon. The Carolingian is the only sword out of my entire collection that I choose to keep with me while I'm living away from home for a year. Not a day goes by that I don't pick her up and drink in the feeling of holding a wonderful piece of art. Despite the sword's great balance and relatively lively feel, it seems to have very slight distal taper. Last but certainly not least, the extremely deep hollow ground edges and fullers are nothing short of superb. It's a fine weapon and truly worthy of a Frankish king.

Constant and true.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Then these swords truly are masterpieces Happy

I'd love to own a Jody Samson (beyond the Atlantean) one day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:

I'd love to own a Jody Samson (beyond the Atlantean) one day.

Yeah, I say that a lot myself. Whether I actually ever will depends entirely on the monetary muse speaking to me. lol
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I emailed Albion about this, but given the weekend, and holiday... I might not hear from them until Tuesday and I'm already chomping at the bit Wink

Those new swords on Jody's "News" page... some of them are listed as "one of a kind" (Broadsword) and others are not (Leafblades). I looked at Jody's other swords and 90% of them seem to be one of a kind... are the "News" items listed correctly? Is Jody actually making multiple copies of a few of these new swords?

I'd love to get one of these and may be able to swing the cost, but I want to know if I should pounce on it or if I have some breathing time before making a purchase.

Also, do you think it is more wise to get a one-of-a-kind piece as opposed to one that is made in a series (if you like both pieces and can afford either)?
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that unless otherwise stated all of Jody's swords are one of a kind. He has only done a few designs in limited production runs. I don't think buying a one off from Jody is any better than buying one of his limited production runs but that's just my opinion.
Constant and true.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you like one and can actually buy it, I'm pretty envious already. Happy Personally, I'd go with the one of a kind piece, just because it is unique. Whether it is more valuable, I can't say for certain. I'd guess it might have a small bit more collector value, but I'm guessing. Really, I'd suggest that getting what you like the best is the real way to go. Even if it is a limited edition run piece and not one of a kind. That way you won't come up thinking 'hmm, maybe I would have been happier with...."...

The Seaward sword and the Roman sword are two that come to mind as being in limited runs, unless I misread the Albion site. For specific swords, you'll just have to let them get back to you to be sure if they are one offs or multiple runs.

You know, I can name you about half a dozen of the Samson swords that if I'd had the money I'd have bought. No joke. At least that many. And I'd probably be looking for more. Maybe no money is a good thing, after all... sheesh....
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's good to know. I figured that the majority of his swords were one-of-a-kind. He does seem to release various variants of previous pieces, though.. so I guess if you miss out on one, you have a chance of getting something similar again down the road.

And I agree. If I had about $10k to throw around I'd be going through his current offerings, scooping up sword after sword... :/

I noticed that all of the swords on the "News" page say "one of a kind" except for the most recently posted batch. I'm guessing whoever made that update just left off the "one of a kind". And I guess that answers my question Wink So now... do I dare drop $1.2k on a sword....

And if I do, do I go 'historical' and get the broadsword, or grab that lovely elven leafblade. Decisions decisions. I'll see if Albion has any close-up pics of the broadsword pommel... I'm curious about its design.
Esa Etelävuori

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh dear. I now have six swords on order and I'm trying to limit on those. I have zero Jody Samson swords, but they all look great. And sounds like they'll handle great. I'm especially eying the senatorial spatha, that's one, TRULY one ONE of THE KIND of piece. Huh, huh! It's really hard to be a sword lover these days. Happy
Ok, I now read it's in limited quantities, but still, it feels like one of a kind piece.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, the spatha is wonderful. I love the wooden spacers... the blade... even the inscription Happy

I ordered the Elven Leafblade, and it is already on its way to me. I opted to get it sharpened... why not, right? Wink
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Yes, the spatha is wonderful. I love the wooden spacers... the blade... even the inscription Happy

I ordered the Elven Leafblade, and it is already on its way to me. I opted to get it sharpened... why not, right? Wink

Congrats Timothy.

I was tempted buy that Elven Leafblade as well.

Fantasy swords aren't really my thing anymore, but I was very impressed by Jody's work. Having spent time with Jody I can attest to the fact that he's a pretty cool individual too. It's kind of like being in the presence of American sword making history. Neat stuff, cool guy. It doesn't get any better than that.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And.. thanks to Albion's seemingly unearthly control of shipping channels.. I have received my elven leafblade.

I was a speeding maniac all the way home Wink

The box was lighter than air... I almost thought they forgot to pack the sword, that's how amazingly lightweight everything was. After a bit of poking and prodding I finally got the Albion super-box open (Albion really knows how to ship a sword... only the Conan crate would be more secure) and low and behold there was Jody's elven leafblade. I drew it forth carefully and was immediately surprised with just how alive and maneuverable it was when in hand. The grip can almost take two of my hands but in no way requires such a hold... the sword is incredibly agile in just one hand. Very well balanced and quite sharp (though I dare not cut with it), not at all what I had expected from a leafblade design. There are a few tiny flaws on the blackened areas of the guard and pommel, as is to be expected with an entirely hand-made, unique sword. It exudes character, from the expertly crafted leafblade to the blackened braid on the hilt.

The sword now resides on a rack at the center of my collection, but I'm sure I'll be taking it out to play with for days. I'm having a hard time not staring at it right now. Wink Kudos to Jody (of course), Mike Sigman, and everyone at Albion!

The only thing displeasing? The bill! Happy
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:

The box was lighter than air... I almost thought they forgot to pack the sword, that's how amazingly lightweight everything was. After a bit of poking and prodding I finally got the Albion super-box open (Albion really knows how to ship a sword... only the Conan crate would be more secure) and low and behold there was Jody's elven leafblade. I drew it forth carefully and was immediately surprised with just how alive and maneuverable it was when in hand. The grip can almost take two of my hands but in no way requires such a hold... the sword is incredibly agile in just one hand. Very well balanced and quite sharp (though I dare not cut with it), not at all what I had expected from a leafblade design. There are a few tiny flaws on the blackened areas of the guard and pommel, as is to be expected with an entirely hand-made, unique sword. It exudes character, from the expertly crafted leafblade to the blackened braid on the hilt.

You lucky devil you... I'd love to take that other leafblade off of Mr. Samson's hands. Oh, well....

Congrats on the new blade....
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm tempted to move in on that Broadsword but I don't want to put myself too far into debt. Alas, I must wait.
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

Can we get some stats (length, POB, width,...) on the Broadsword and on the Warsword (further down the page, but still available I assume).

Any extra photos would be appreciated as well, I think the two small pictures posted on those two swords probably don't do them justice.

Gordon

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Thanks. I'm tempted to move in on that Broadsword but I don't want to put myself too far into debt. Alas, I must wait.
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I found the only thing I don't really like about Jody's site. That is simply the lack of stats on his blades, ie: length of blade; overall length; blade width; weight, etc.

Other than that, I still have to clean my keyboard of drool after looking at all that beautiful steel... Big Grin
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll provide stats on the Jody Samson Carolingian sword for general reference in the near future. If you have any questions about the specific stats of any of Jody's swords I'm sure Mike at Albion would be glad to help you out.
Constant and true.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I do wish there was more information on the Samson site... however, Mike has been kind enough to get stats to me personally when I emailed him. I have no way of verifying the broadsword stats, but those for the elven leafblade seem very accurate.

Eleven Leafblade

Weight 3lbs
Over all length 38 inches
Blade length 28 1/2 inches
Grip length 7 inches
Width at guard 2 inches
Width 1 inch from tip 1/2 inches
POB 4 inches from guard
COP 18 inches

Broadsword

Weight 3.6lbs
Overall length 37
Blade length 28 inches
Grip length 7''
Width at guard 2 1/2
Width 1 inch from tip .25''
POB 3'' from guard
COP 17 1/2 '' from guard

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Jody Samson
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: