Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Mar, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Gregg, thanks for the compliments! Weight=1210 g blade is 33 inches long, 39.25 total sword length, POB is 2.5 inches. Handles very light due to the close POB yet the tip seems very steady and controllable. tr
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Mar, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
T Lui wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
I got another one of these:

And I want one more, if anyone is selling.

Now that is a handsome sword. That's your second and you want a third? Methinks I oughta order one of my own if Albion ever has another sale in the near future before all the Brescias are snapped up. Big Grin

The idea that they will one day stop making this amazing sword fills me with dread.

I agree, it is my second favorite sword after the Svante... Would love to have 2 or 3 of each!!
George K. Abraham

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife and I just got our anniversary gift to ourselves last week. Happy

Some believe that a swordsmith puts a little bit of his soul into each sword he creates. If that's true, then this sword truly bears the soul of a gentleman...and a master. Thank you, Gus and Christian...we couldn't be more pleased. Big Grin

George K. Abraham
Everett, Washington
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the newest toys in our house. Technically it's not my last sword since these belong to my girlfriend, but I do get to play with them Happy

It's a hand-and-a-half sword and a dagger by Kovex Ars, both unsharpened for WMA and re-enactment use.

Sword
Overal length: 117 cm
Blade length: 87 cm
Fuller length: 33 cm
Crossguard width: 23 cm
Blade width at crossguard: 4.5 cm
Blade width at tip: 1.7 cm
Distal taper: Yes, a little, but I lack the tools to accurately measure it.
Weight: 1.9 kg
PoB: At the crossguard

Dagger
Overall length: 36 cm
Blade length: 21 cm
Fuller length: 13 cm
Crossguard width: 10.5 cm
Blade width at crossguard: 2.7 cm
Blade width at tip: 0.9 cm
Weight: 0.3 kg

The sword is pretty big and heavy. It's bigger and wider than my Talhoffer (that's a Pavel Moc Talhoffer, not the Albion one). It handles very nicely though because the point of balance is so far back. You can swing it around almost effortlessly. The scabbard wasn't custom-made for this sword, but it's a nice enough thick leather scabbard that does the job. The crossguard and pommel have the typical Kovex Ars rough finish. You either love it or hate it. Personally I like it. It makes it look a bit like a sword that was mass produced in the middle ages. A tool for war, not a work of art. The blade itself has a nice satin finish, including the fuller (which Kovex Ars swords sometimes leave rough as well).

The sword and dagger are not a set, that's why they look differently. They did have a dagger on sale that matched the sword in style, but we chose this one instead. It matches very nicely with my Talhoffer.

Attachment: 120.33 KB
dagger-2.jpg
Rear view of the dagger, showing the peened tang.

Attachment: 112.03 KB
dagger-1.jpg
The dagger with scabbard.

Attachment: 116.48 KB
sword-3.jpg
Front view of the sword

Attachment: 107.32 KB
sword-2.jpg
Detail of the sword grip and rough finish of the crossguard and pommel.

Attachment: 115.71 KB
sword-1.jpg
The sword from behind.
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, this isn't my newest sword, but rather my newest scabbard! I just received it this week, after placing a custom order with DBK Custom Swords. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. The chape and the "rain flap" have styling modeled after the guard and pommel respectively. It has an integrated double-suspension. The draw is perfectly smooth and effortless, and yet the blade is retained even if you turn the scabbard up-side down. The fit is perfect.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My two most recent projects:

Attachment: 73.21 KB
FULL.gif

Attachment: 104.03 KB
download.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This isn’t exactly a sword, but a seax by Michael Pikula of Volund Forge in Wisconsin USA. I picked it up from his Silent auction for Haiti on all in stock items thread. The seax is 19.25 inches overall with a 14” blade. The POB is 10.25” from the tip, thus a great little chopper! This fine weapon is being gifted to a friend this summer, so I won’t be able to hold onto it long. Sad Happy

Attachment: 92.63 KB
DSCF0734-copy2.jpg

Attachment: 157.25 KB
[ Download ]

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
J Anstey

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

Beautiful swords Sean,

I have been away from the forum for a while so I have probably missed the story on these - Who was the maker/s? I especially like the twisted pommel and rain guard.

Cheers

Jason
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Anstey wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Beautiful swords Sean,

I have been away from the forum for a while so I have probably missed the story on these - Who was the maker/s? I especially like the twisted pommel and rain guard.

Cheers

Jason

Thanks! Like most litters of stray cats, my collection has multiple fathers. Big Grin Project details below.

The side ring sword: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19140

The longsword: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=erbach

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got my first Albion today! Some of you may recall that I ordered an Albion Kingmaker over a year ago - I had to cancel the order due to financial obligations and left Albion with my $300 deposit sitting until recently. I've recently began to put together a 13th century kit for reenactment and SCA use, and decided a dress sword would be a wonderful (and necessary) addition to my outfit.

I put in the order for a new Squire Line 13th century knightly sword just over two weeks ago. Mike said it would be ready in two weeks, and it arrived today! I've never owned a sword of this caliber, and I'll probably never buy another sword of lesser quality again. The balance, weight and overall finish of this sword are really great. I ordered a sharpened piece, so I'll get around to doing some cutting soon, I hope. I'm definitely already hooked, and can't wait to get my first Next Generation sword! Crossing my fingers for that this summer!

I quickly took the initiative and used isopropal alcohol to wipe the grip down to remove the built up black dye (which was getting on my hands after immediate handling). I then took some Eco-Flo scarlet dye and mixed it over the dulled black. In pictures and even in person it is hard to tell the scarlet is there, but a very subtle mix of the deep red can be noticed in the light. I then went over the grip with Fiebing's Leather Balm and let it dry out for the afternoon. The results are pleasing.

I also spent the end of the evening cutting out my first scabbard core! I'm using 12 oz leather (a tad thick, but it's all I've got) and cut, wet and bent it into shape. Tomorrow I'll be stitching it up, dying it and then hopefully before the weekend and spring break are over I'll make a chape and belt for it! All in all, it has been a good, Albion day!

I'll have a thread posted with my modifications and such when the project is done.

-Gregory

Attachment: 104.92 KB
005.JPG

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered a custom all black Malatesta from the Valiant Armory Custom Sword Shoppe last week. It's a nice sword for the money, my favorite Signature Series sword yet...

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 04 Apr, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few weeks ago at the Baltimore Show I picked up yet another British Pattern 1895 Infantry Officer's Sword. This one was made by Thurkle and bears the officer's initials T.C.:

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!!! After about 6 weeks. It is a private purchase British Light Infantry Officer Sword from about 1810-1820.
It is of a very fine quality. An excellent 28 inch blade and very sharp! I wonder how much the original owner payed for it.?

Attachment: 56.68 KB
!BmnRVYQBmk~$(KGrHqQOKjgEtlc,7SJQBLgS0vUMYQ~~_3.jpg

Attachment: 23.03 KB
!BmnRer!BGk~$(KGrHqYOKkYEtl8DGR53BLgS1RQ+n!~~_3.jpg

Attachment: 32.2 KB
!BmnS(NwBmk~$(KGrHqUOKjMEtlsljPbrBLgS4np4Fw~~_3.jpg

inkothemgard!
J Anstey

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!!! After about 6 weeks. It is a private purchase British Light Infantry Officer Sword from about 1810-1820.
It is of a very fine quality. An excellent 28 inch blade and very sharp! I wonder how much the original owner payed for it.?

Wow! That is stunning, absolutely wonderful! Congrats.
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:

Hello
I wonder how many french saddles it emptied:-)
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Morgan Butler wrote:

Hello
I wonder how many french saddles it emptied:-)

Good question! I can definately see it clashing with french infantry briquets, bayonets, and officer swords. It is definately a fighting weapon!

The quality of this sword is amazing! Its still 100% battle-ready even after all these years/centuries!

Thanks, you guys,
Morgan

inkothemgard!
Michael Finch

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful, have you bisected any watermellons with it yet? Big Grin
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Finch wrote:
Absolutely beautiful, have you bisected any watermellons with it yet? Big Grin

I'm sure that it would do the job very efficiently but I havent. I have done Tai-Chi with it though, and the the balance and heft is exquisite!

I have developed a liking for shorter, lighter weapons over the last few years and Light Infantry/Flank Officer swords fit the bill nicely.

inkothemgard!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

British Pattern 1897 infantry officer's sword by Ranken & Co., with GRI cypher (indicating that it belonged to an officer of the Indian Army), and complete with its original sword bag bearing the initials of it original owner--F.C. Head of the 6th Jat Light Infantry (served in Mesopotamia in the attempt to relieve Townshend at Kut).

Dan Mackison

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest sword is a rattan waster I am proud to say I carved myself ... its even SCA legal.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 40 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: