Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! The sword weighs 1190 g. (2 pounds 10 oz) I really like the profile taper on this blade. The blade is thin in the last third of the blade. It sags just a little under its own weight when held horizontal. Despite being a wide and rather thin Type XIIIa, there are no noticeable grind marks on the blade at all and the fuller is perfect. Its quite beautiful. tr

Speaking of width. How wide is the blade at the guard? I can imagine that it must be pretty lively in-hand at that weight yet still can deliver a pretty hefty cut.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed,
You must feel pretty blue when you look at these two swords. Big Grin Sorry, I couldn't resist. They both look really good to me. I have been unsure about getting blue as a grip color, but after seeing these two I think that it will end up gracing a sword of mine sometime in the future.

Congratulations on the Crecy as well. When Albion was having there sale last winter I was torn between the Squire and Crecy and ended up going with the Squire since I already had a hand and a half and wanted a single hander. I wish I could have taken advantage of Albion's last sale but have a couple of customs in the work I need to have money around for.

Do you plan on getting scabbards and belts made for either of these?

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hanwei / Tinker Early Medieval single hand sword - blunt and a GDFB 12" fluted steel buckler for I.33 studies.

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a new Albion I:33 from the Maestroline now! Very nice tool indeed!
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Ed,
You must feel pretty blue when you look at these two swords. Big Grin Sorry, I couldn't resist. They both look really good to me. I have been unsure about getting blue as a grip color, but after seeing these two I think that it will end up gracing a sword of mine sometime in the future.

Congratulations on the Crecy as well. When Albion was having there sale last winter I was torn between the Squire and Crecy and ended up going with the Squire since I already had a hand and a half and wanted a single hander. I wish I could have taken advantage of Albion's last sale but have a couple of customs in the work I need to have money around for.

Do you plan on getting scabbards and belts made for either of these?

Scott

Thanks, glad you like them! Happy

Yes, indeed I do plan on getting scabbards and suspensions. I'm thinking I'll do the Chevalier first. It's screaming out that it needs a scabbard.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi fellow swordians!

I am now a Proud owner of an Albion Sword too...:-) thanks to a forumite Mr. Andreas M. i got my first Albion Sword a Crecy with Oxblood Grip. My second Sharp Sword is a self sharpend DelTin Maurice from Turin.

just wanted to tell you guys this.

Andreas

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I got my infantry saber today. Not sure when I can have pictures up, though.
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got my Albion Earl today. Pictures to come after the weekend. Boy is she a sharp fast sword! The hollow grind makes for a wickedly fast Type XVIII that feels light in the hand and swift in the cut. Can't decide yet whether to do cutting with it or not...it's too pretty. ;-)
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: not exactly a sword but.................         Reply with quote

I received my new poniard dagger today. Blade is hollowground and quadrangular and the entire dagger was forged and ground and chiseled out of one piece of steel by Aaron Schwartz. This is a beast of a dagger, 12 inches total, 6 inches of blade, and weighs 12 ounces. The four edges are sharp enough for some basic utility knife work too. The poniard is an under-represented dagger type in the reproduction market. This one definitely feels like it would go through mail and steel 18 gauge or thinner. It's hard to capture the blade shape in a photo but you can see the hollowground quadrangular shape in the holes it punches. very wicked heavy hitting hole puncher and gives a whole new meaning to the term "spike". tr

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I guess i finally joined the club. With the patient assistance of Dan Dickenson I am now the owner of an Albion Knud with an Oxblood grip.

I haven't cut anything with it yet although I have images of ruthlessly dispatching a whole horde of belligerent zucchini on the next nice day. I really did enjoy putting it in a the hand of a female friend and watching her eyes get huge and hear her say, "This thing is REAL!!!" Oh yes, as soon as I put the sword in her hand I immediately backed well out of reach!

Ken

Attachment: 200.8 KB
[ Download ]
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Model 1813 Bavarian Mounted "Artillery" Sword just arrived yesterday! It is definately a fighting trooper sword. It has a short 29 inch blade but it is the most robust antique blade I own. The tip goes into an amost triangular double-edged point! This particular sword was issued to about 4 different infantry munition columns. I'm sure that if a column was ever raided by enemy cavalry this blade could fight them off! It could also hack open munition crates easily as well Laughing Out Loud The spine of the blade is very wide and the scabbard is a monster!. It reminds me of 16th centry cossack blades I have seen.
Unfortunately, while it has two different inspection marks on it, it has no royal cypher whatsoever so I can't put a date on it. Its definately W.W.I or earlier. There are a scattering of interesting, small dents near the mouth of the scabbard that look like shrapnel impacts.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/blac...sword2.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/blac...sword3.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/blac...sword4.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/blac...rd9jpg.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/blac...sword5.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/blac...sword8.jpg

inkothemgard!
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just commissioned a short sword from John Lundemo of Odinblades. It's going be a 22" blade with a flattened-diamond cross-section and hilt components inspired by a well known type XVI sword:

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxvi09.jpg
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. late 19th/early 20th century Italian foil
2. Negrini Italian epee (point d'arret on the way) for classical dueling sword
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest acquisition is a British Pattern 1892/95 infantry officer's sword by Wilkinson. It was sold in 1892, and would originally have had a brass Gothic hilt. It was re-hilted in 1896 as a result of the new regulations calling for the new steel hilt approved in 1895. The blade bears the owner's initials "HGB", and will be the subject of a future write-up.

Jonathan

Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Peudeung panjang         Reply with quote

Traditional sword, typical of Aceh (in northern Sumatra), also used elsewhere in Sumatra. "Peudeung panjang" (= "sword, long") in Acehnese, or Podang panjang, pedang panjang, of Sikin, Sikkim, Sikkin, Pedang sikkim panjang etc. The forked pommel and shape of blade are characteristic of the type.

Age unknown, seller estimates late 19th century. Scabbard is new, wood with horn chape and mouth. The blade is single-edged, with a shallow fuller 5-6mm wide along 3/4 of the blade. Hilt is steel, brass, wood. Where the blade joins the hilt, it's all one piece of steel. I can't tell if this has been welded or forged from one piece. Blade is laminated, with many defects in the lamination. Lamination planes run straight along the blade, running at a large angle to the blade near the hilt, and twisting into the plane of the blade towards the tip.

The stats:

Length, overall: 75 cm / 29.5"
Length, blade: 60 cm / 23.5"
Width: 32-28 mm
Thickness: 9 mm right at hilt, down to 7.5 mm very quickly, 5 mm at POB, then even taper to 2 mm to curve of point.
Weight: 500 g / 17.5 oz
POB: 12.5 cm / 5"

It's a light and handy blade (wife and son were surprised by how light and easy it is), and IMO attractive. I was thinking about buying a modern one, but then found this one cheaper. It's distinctive amongst the vast array of parangs, pedangs, goloks etc of the general area, so I thought it would be nice to have. I don't know much about them; Stone doesn't seem to list it, Tirri gives some examples, as does, IIRC, Egerton.

Attachment: 23.12 KB
peudeung1.jpg

Attachment: 38.62 KB
peudeung2.jpg

Attachment: 73.85 KB
peudeung3.jpg

Brogdon Combs

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

My latest aquisition is a Valiant Armoury AT304S. Sonny's customizing it for me to have an Oxblood grip and gold heat-blued fittings... It's in the works, so I'll post pics when it arrives.

I'm so excited. Big Grin

-Brogdon

"Here's to you, mister pirate-ship-captain! With your endless booty calls and a violent streak that makes Grand Theft Auto look like Super Mario Kart, only you could bring the wooden leg back into fashion, and only you could fight three men at a time with a patch over one eye and a hook for a hand."
-Strongblade.com
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: My Last Sword         Reply with quote

I picked up a Sal D'Aquila Shadow Katana from Ebay over the summer and forgot to include it here. It is shown next to my regular Musashi. The Shadow has since become the platform for an Iaito project-

Attachment: 184.72 KB
[ Download ]

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Lampe wrote:
I just commissioned a short sword from John Lundemo of Odinblades. It's going be a 22" blade with a flattened-diamond cross-section and hilt components inspired by a well known type XVI sword:

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxvi09.jpg

I love the original of that sword. Good choice!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've talked extensively about this sword elsewhere - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17652 - but I wanted to put it in the company of the other great swords on this thread.

Continental Military sword from sometime in the second half ot the 17th century - a custom job from Arms and Armor - about as good as a sword can be Big Grin

Attachment: 104.05 KB
hfd003s.jpg

Attachment: 46.99 KB
AAHaudeggen01.jpg

Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
WOW! I`am jealous as hell:-) Seeing how yours turned out,I`am thinking serious about trying again.How long did it take?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 35 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: