Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Keen Mark

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, the slender and pointed swords appeal to me because of how elegant they look - that and I like lighter blades. Here's another sword of mine bought long ago, the Atrim/Christian Fletcher 15th C. Cut and Thrust Longsword. Grip, guard and pommel are with Christian awaiting a slot in his commission list to open up - planning to get the grip faceted and rewrapped with fine cord and black leather, then facet the pommel, S-curve the guard with a cusp/peak in the middle and then polish all metal fittings. This is one of my favourites and is pretty much everything I love in a longsword (37" blade length).

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Keen Mark wrote:
Hmm... last sword that I purchased....well, I guess this would qualify:

Atrim sidesword blade with customized grip and guard by Christian Fletcher.

Prior to that was the AT1518 bastard sword, also customized by Christian Fletcher with new grip, pommel work and scabbard.

I was remiss in not complementing you on your nice swords. My very first sword is a Atrim 1423 blade with cutlery by Christian and I love it. I really like both of them though I am obviously the opposite of you and prefer nice wide cutters.

Scott

Attachment: 64.79 KB
100_0746.JPG

Attachment: 71.75 KB
100_0745.JPG

Dave Smith

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's been quite some time since I was able to afford a good sword, so I'm happy to post my latest acquisition. I'm unable to take pictures right now since my camera's busted, so I hope the moderators don't mind me linking directly to Valiant's site.

http://valiant-armoury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=151

When I first saw the Bristol, I'd envisioned those fittings on a longer blade, well... Valiant did me one better with an entire package. The color is absolutely spot on as far as how I'd envisioned it, and the scabbard is beautiful. Thanks again to Sonny and the Valiant team for putting this sword together for me. Even better, since they opted not to use the signature fittings on anymore custom work, I now have a one-of-a-kind.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are welcome Keen Mark. That is another fine looking Atrim you have there and I am looking forward to seeing it after Christian is done redoing it. Seeing your Atrim/Fletchers really makes me want to get another. Though if you have not guessed my tastes run towards the wider and heftier style of blade.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I traded for this Albion Laird last week. It's only my third Albion, and it handles like a dream!
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great Christopher. The Laird is on my short list of Albions I would really like to get. My biggest trouble is that I also like the Caithness which is the same blade with different furniture. Decisions, decisions.

What color is the grip? It looks like oxblood or dark brown but it is hard to tell.

Scott

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest sword.....
custom Arms & Armor Italian Dueling Sword

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
That looks great Christopher. The Laird is on my short list of Albions I would really like to get. My biggest trouble is that I also like the Caithness which is the same blade with different furniture. Decisions, decisions.

What color is the grip? It looks like oxblood or dark brown but it is hard to tell.

Scott

Scott, thanks! I really like this sword, too. The grip is a really dark oxblood, but leans towards a combination of chocolate and plum (weird, I know). It's really pretty in person.

I DO have a sort of Caithness Surprised cobbled together by Donnie Shearer (The Mad Piper). A customer sent him an Albion Caithnes with the instructions to use its blade on a basket hilted claymore, and afterwards, the hilt parts were tossed into a box. I visited Donnie shortly after that, and he agreed to make me a sword using the Albion Caithness parts, so... I selected one of his bare blades (I think it came from a very well done "Kingdom of Heaven" sword, don't know which one, very wide, very thin, small central fuller, and chose a longer, almost hand-and-a-half grip (another Windlass cast-off). The sword handles wonderfully! It's only part Albion, but hey, Donnie only charged me a fraction of a Caithness' price. I'll try to post pics of it. Thanks for the kind words on the Laird - I'm still jazzed about it!

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Scott

Scott, thanks! I really like this sword, too. The grip is a really dark oxblood, but leans towards a combination of chocolate and plum (weird, I know). It's really pretty in person.

I DO have a sort of Caithness Surprised cobbled together by Donnie Shearer (The Mad Piper). A customer sent him an Albion Caithnes with the instructions to use its blade on a basket hilted claymore, and afterwards, the hilt parts were tossed into a box. I visited Donnie shortly after that, and he agreed to make me a sword using the Albion Caithness parts, so... I selected one of his bare blades (I think it came from a very well done "Kingdom of Heaven" sword, don't know which one, very wide, very thin, small central fuller, and chose a longer, almost hand-and-a-half grip (another Windlass cast-off). The sword handles wonderfully! It's only part Albion, but hey, Donnie only charged me a fraction of a Caithness' price. I'll try to post pics of it. Thanks for the kind words on the Laird - I'm still jazzed about it!

You are welcome Christopher. I really like that color variation.

I would love to see the picture of your Caithness! It sounds like a really cool hybrid you have there.

Scott

Josh Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see a pic as well, if you'd be so kind. The Caithness is one of my favorite Albions available and this hybrid seems interesting.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

British special pattern sword with scroll hilt (a.k.a., acanthus hilt) made by Wilkinson in 1865 for an officer of the 16th Bengal Cavalry. Write-up to follow later in a separate thread. Happy

Adam S.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johnathan that's fantastic! I look forward to your thread. I've recently taken a liking to these later period pieces, and that one is lovely.
Thank you for sharing that.

~A
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 08 Aug, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam,
Thank you! This is a rare pattern and one I have been wanting to add to my collection for a long time. I missed out on one that came up at auction in June, and was thrilled and amazed to find this one at a dealer site for 300 GBP less than my high bid threshold at auction. Happy It is an officer's fighting weapon, to be sure. The only blade decoration is the Wilkinson name and proof disc, and the owner's family crest. The blade is service sharpened beginning at 8" from the guard, and almost 7" of the false edge is sharpened. I will work on the write up and hopefully get it posted by Monday!

Jonathan
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
My latest sword.....

Great sword Stephen!
Whats the balance like?

inkothemgard!
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Stephen A. Fisher"]My latest sword.....
Love it! I too was wondering how the balance was. Armsa and Armor sure does beautiful work, no?
Where did you get you Italian foils? Negrini? The Fencing Post? Are they true ricasso or Tom Rockwell pieces?

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Justin & Morgan,

2 of the Italian foils are made by Ulhmann w/true ricasso & the other one is a Santelli. The two Italian epees are American Fencers Tom Rockwell pieces.

A&A Italian Dueling Sword
Blade Length- 35 1/4" Diamond cross section
Overall Length-
Blade Width- 9/16"
quillon Length- 8 1/4"
Grip Length- 3"
Pommel Length 2 1/4"
Length of ricasso- 2 1/2"
Guard length- 5 1/2"
Point of Balance- approx 1 3/4" from guard
Weight-

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now could you send us a picture of you running someone thru with it ????????
inkothemgard!
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the current newest sword, a Chinese longsword, a Zhisword long jian.

Overall length: 132 cm
Blade: 94 cm, from bottom end of handle, where guard starts to flare out
Handle, 28 cm total, wooden part of grip is 16 cm
Weight: 1350 g
POB: 21 cm from end of handle
Distal taper: approx 9mm to 5mm

Fittings are brass, pommel is hollow, end of tang is threaded, with one large nut securing the handle, and a small one for the pommel.

It's point-heavy, and lightweight for its size. 100 g of extra weight in the pommel would bring the POB back about 5cm, 150g about 8cm, and then it would be closer to a typical "good" longsword. Easy to do with a bit of lead, but I don't know if I will yet.

And as an added extra, a ke/ge Chinese "halberd".

Attachment: 36.64 KB
ge.jpg

Attachment: 28.85 KB
long_jian2.jpg

Attachment: 32.66 KB
long_jian1.jpg

Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo,

In your opinion, how does that Zhisword Chang Jian, with that POB, handle for forms?

I've had two Zhiswords, and the first one, the "8 sided Han Jian", with the octagonal profile, was beautiful but didn't swing the way I wanted it to. The second one, a Tang Dynasty pattern Jian in black, was perfectly balanced and weighted for forms, and very simple and attractive. I gave it as a gift to my buddy for passing his Instructor Exam for Bak Mei. I don't have a Zhisword at the moment, but was thinking of getting another one.

So how does yours feel?

Would you take it to a fight?

Nice Ge as well, mate. The haft looks a little short for my taste, but I like that head...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
In your opinion, how does that Zhisword Chang Jian, with that POB, handle for forms?

<...>

So how does yours feel?

Would you take it to a fight?

Forms I can't say, since I don't do such training. I haven't swung it around much yet either, since I have low celings and have yet to take it outside. Might do so tomorrow, and see how it feels, maybe cut something with it.

It's light enough so that the POB is OK. A little sluggish to change direction in cuts, but otherwise OK, quite nice for point work. If I thought I'd be using it for real, I'd seriously think about more weight for the pommel, maybe 80-100g. I need to play with it more. It feels better than I'd expect given the POB, but that might be the after-effect of using the Cold Steel trainer for practice.

It doesn't vanish-in-the-hands like a lightweight 4" POB longsword like the Tinker, but perhaps this makes it better for training.

It's solid enough; I've pulled it apart and checked it out and I'll happily cut with it. I don't know if I'd take it to a real fight - that's what spears are for. For a real practical longsword, it's got a real disadvantage - the scabbard is a heavy brute. Not what you want in a carry-it-around everywhere weapon. For the same weight as the sword + scabbard, you could carry a Zweihander around.

Bennison N wrote:
Nice Ge as well, mate. The haft looks a little short for my taste, but I like that head...

Just short of reaching the ground held in one hand. The head isn't very high quality - quite a few casting defects. I have a better one (a little long, a fair bit wider and heavier) that I have yet to mount. I'll probably put it on a longer two-handed haft, rectangular, maybe with a spear point on the end. I have a nice bronze spear point, but I'll make a final decision when I feel the prospective handling. First, I need to get the wood or wood-substitute.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 33 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: