Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > SCA Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next 
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ya know Michael... Start Wars lightsaber fighting was based on Japaneses sword arts. They had Katana experts on the set advising from the very first Start Wars movie in 1977 Happy

Same goes for Star Trek Batleth which is based on a Chinese historical weapon Happy

add to that a little stage fighting, so the audience can follow it better...

There is a reason why it looks so good in the movies Razz

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Both have some applications in actual warfare, but neither are generally practiced to be applied on the battlefield.

That's simply not true. HEMA, good HEMA, is researched, taught and trained to be used in combat. Real combat. Whether or not it is ever used that way is irrelevant. Just as it is irrelevant whether a soldier ever uses his military training in combat...the nature of the training or the techniques he is learning don't change. He is training for war, whether he uses it or not.

What defines a martial art is not what you use it for, but how you train it. That is why SCA combat can be a martial art, depending on the practicioner. A person can study SCA combat and fight in tournaments with the honest intent of learning a real combat system and train accordingly. I would argue that SCA combat is not optimal, that historical techniques designed to kill rather than tournament techniques designed to win within a strict ruleset would be preferable, but that is just a question of degrees.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an outsider to both of these organizations I'm constantly amazed by the passionate need to differentiate and diminish what other people are choosing to do each time one of these threads develops. I cannot see that either persuit is threatened by the other. Neither activity appears to have achieved market saturation or exclusivity. Clearly there is ample room for both interests.

Why is this exclusion so important?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I think we just need to see HEMA (in all its forms) and SCA combat (in all its forms) as combat systems. Both have some applications in actual warfare, but neither are generally practiced to be applied on the battlefield. Since the word "martial", in its strictest sense, implies use in war you could argue that neither is a martial art since most people aren't using SCA or HEMA techniques on the battlefield. Happy

That's why its called HEMA and not EMA. Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,
Which part is not true? Are people practicing longsword for battlefield use somewhere and I'm not aware of it? Happy

Using military training is an odd example for you to go to. A soldier is taught those things because the nature of his job means there's a greater-than-average change he'll have to use those techniques in war. Are HEMA practitioners honestly practicing their art because they think they might have to stave off a charge of Saxon raiders? Happy I think most practice the art for reasons other than the original "martial" ones, though grappling and other techniques have clear street applications.

Anyway, I said they were combat systems, didn't I? That means they are meant to be used in combat. Happy Not all combat has the same goals, seriousness, or contexts. But it's all combat. Sport combat is a form of combat. "Real" combat (where life is on the line) is a form of combat and a much more serious one. But combat is a big umbrella as a term. Combat system (as a term) paints in similarly broad strokes, and encompasses SCA combat, HEMA, current military drill, etc.

If you want to argue etymology, we can. But it's a side issue. Happy We're just defining "martial art" differently. If it helps, I use the term WMA and HEMA when I'm thinking of these things, but I just keep in mind that it's a modern usage of the term, not the initial intent of the words. We use the term "martial art" these days for many things whose application is less than martial. (Side note: in some ways, I preferred when ARMA called themselves The Historical Armed Combat Association, as I think it's a more fitting term Happy )

My point is that each set of systems (SCA and HEMA) has its place, its uses, and its benefits. Though both can have battlefield applications, both are ultimately divested (in varying degrees, admittedly) from war, from which the term "martial" derives.

Michael, sometimes I feel like you just like to argue with me. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with you on that Michael.

If a soldier trains in time of peace, he is still a soldier, and still has learned something of war. He is still better prepared after intense training than an untrained levy, even if he never has the experience of actually going to war.

Military training is often misrepresented as well, as though it were monolithic and established. In my short foray into the military, any number of techniques and training regimens changed; sometimes drastically. if you were to read and try to follow a military manual from, say, 2007, you would find vast changes from a similar manual from 1980. The manual from 1980 may have been written by a decorated Vietnam veteran, or a cadre of veterans from the Falklands war, but that doe NOT mean that the teachings in the book are "right", or that they will get you there and back again.

I can only presume that historical training manuals were similar; based on limited (though no doubt excellent) experience, with debatable conclusions.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Michael,
Which part is not true? Are people practicing longsword for battlefield use somewhere and I'm not aware of it? Happy

Yes, here at NYHFA this is how we train. It is also how many of the groups we interact with train. It is not why you train, but how you train that matters. I train HEMA because I like it. It's fun. But I train as though I will have to use what I am doing in real combat...to do anything less would be to train in a different way than our ancestors trained, and that would not be true to the arts. In my corner of HEMA, this attitude is not optional, I expect it from everyone.

Vassilis trains this way too, and most of what he does is SCA. I don't agree with his choices, I think he would do better studying HEMA only, but I do concur that he is training in a martial way, and that what he is doing is a martial art.

Quote:

It's not just you, Chad. Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Bill,

As a hypothetical, let's pretend that I make up an eastern martial art tomorrow based on my understanding of a few other forms. Lets say that I develop this for fourty years, and hundreds of thousands people learned to fight that way. Let's call it Svertweg, the "Way of the Sword" (grammar aside).

After 40 years, Svertweg would be pretty well developed. My early misconceptions would be ironed out by literally millions of bouts held by hundreds of thousands of fighters over dozens of years. Many of these fighters would bring their own knowledge of other martial arts, and the form would evolve.

I'm not sure I understand why you bring this up. What you're describing is inventing a sport. It doesn't matter how many bouts are held by hundreds of thousands of people. There are far more than that who participate in Olympic sabre... why does Olympic sabre not look anything like the arts laid down by masters who did it for real? Because, as has already been discussed, bouting is fake. It doesn't matter if its done for WMA or by two guys in their backyards. There are thousands of issues that bouting cannot take into consideration, and if you rely on improving the art based on the artificial world of bouting, then you are making an art that is better for the artificiality of bouting, not for real fighting.

Quote:
In the eastern martial arts community this happens all the time; dozens of schools of martial arts have been born in the last 50 years in the US alone. Of course people love to debate the merits of Kenpo vs. TKD or Jujitsu vs. Boxing, but not many people would have the gall to say that any of these were not martial arts. Some have longer direct lineages that others, but they are all martial arts.

Are we talking about historical weapon arts or unarmed arts? That's a huge distinction. People bout with new forms of unarmed fighting because that's something that is still used today. Bare handed fighting isn't removed from its original context. However, when people invent new schools of Japanese swordsmanship, there's a very good reason no one takes them seriously, since the art of swordsmanship is so far removed from its original context.

Quote:
Now even eastern martial arts like to claim lineage as if that gives them an air of legitimacy, but only in WMA does the the lack of an "H" get confused with a lack of "MA".

Maybe with some people. However, since you opened this post by addressing me, I should point out that I've not done that once on this thread.

Quote:
And what do you mean by "Is the purpose of SCA combat to fight? No"

I mean exactly what I said. That's not a denigration of SCA, and I don't understand why you seem offended by it. Is the purpose of paintball to fight? No, of course it isn't. Is the purpose of modern foil to fight? No, it isn't. Why is this a bad thing? SCA combat was invented in the 70s for the purpose of having some fun, not with the purpose of actually killing another human being or of self defense. Am I wrong about that?

Quote:
- is there no fighting in Boxing? Perhaps I misunderstand the word fighting.

Boxing, again, is a sport.Yes, it does have some very realistic fighting elements. However, it also ignores the realities of a real fight. It has no counters for if a person wrestles against you. It has no counters for if a person puts you in an arm lock. Could Mike Tyson kick my butt in a real fight? Absolutely he could! That doesn't change the fact that if I wanted to learn to defend myself, boxing can make a great axillary sport, but in itself isn't the answer. The same thing is true of SCA: In itself, its a sport done for fun. It might be great for additional training, but that isn't the intended purpose of it. Why take offense to this?

Quote:
I would again argue that there is no "Martial" in WMA if there is emphasis on mass combat.

Why? If that's true, there's no "martial" in almost all martial arts. Aikido has no massed combat, nor does jujitsu, kempo, krav maga, or really just about anything else out there.

Quote:
It is interesting that the SCA was earlier compared to gangs. The implication is perhaps that HMA practitioners are by comparison disciplined soldiers, but in truth the fight books that HMA references seem to me to be aids for learning medieval brawling and streetfighting.

Please read my response to you earlier. That is true for some treatises, and completely false for others. Context, context, context.

Quote:
Learning to hold a line steady in while watching for incoming arrows is certainly more distinctly martial in my mind than learning to duel.

Ironically, you'd be disagreeing with many of the historical warriors we're trying to emulate. It was often written how dueling is far more deserving of praise and honor, since the entire attention of the enemy is on you alone. But that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
And do pardon me for sounding heated, having typed it all out I feel much better and less insulted.
Laughing Out Loud

I don't understand why you feel insulted at all. Speaking for myself, I haven't been angry or casting assertations at the SCA. I have a number of friends and students who participate in SCA. I certainly don't mean to be saying anything insulting.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello All,

Why don't we all just say the following:

To each his own.

Enjoy what you do, don't worry about what others think of your activity.

Really, if we did all worry about what "people" thought, not a single one one us would be doing what we do.

We'd be watching sports on TV instead, just like all the "normal people".

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gosh Bill there's now a dizzying array of points to respond to.

Quote:
Now even eastern martial arts like to claim lineage as if that gives them an air of legitimacy, but only in WMA does the the lack of an "H" get confused with a lack of "MA".

Maybe with some people. However, since you opened this post by addressing me, I should point out that I've not done that once on this thread.

I apologize, I didn't intend to imply that this was directed at you.

Quote:
Are we talking about historical weapon arts or unarmed arts? That's a huge distinction.

I don't know if the lines are clearly drawn on that; Kenpo (for example, there are plenty of others) is mostly an unarmed "martial art" but fighting is taught with and against pistols, knives, and clubs. Kung Fu involves a vast array of armed and unarmed elements.

Quote:
Why? If that's true, there's no "martial" in almost all martial arts. Aikido has no massed combat, nor does jujitsu, kempo, krav maga, or really just about anything else out there.

That's very true. Most "martial" arts would be better described as "fighting arts" or "arts of personal defense", but common usage is hard to overcome.

You bring up good points as always, I wish i had more time to respond.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Are we talking about historical weapon arts or unarmed arts? That's a huge distinction. People bout with new forms of unarmed fighting because that's something that is still used today. Bare handed fighting isn't removed from its original context. However, when people invent new schools of Japanese swordsmanship, there's a very good reason no one takes them seriously, since the art of swordsmanship is so far removed from its original context.

Umm kumdo...yeah I know that has a lot of issues with it...but that is basically a new modern japanese sword art...even if it's espoused as a traditional korean sword art. In anycase, it has quite a good following and it is a new sword art. In anycase, it is still considered a martial art...despite quite a large amount of erroneous statements about the lineage of the art.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
But I train as though I will have to use what I am doing in real combat...to do anything less would be to train in a different way than our ancestors trained, and that would not be true to the arts. In my corner of HEMA, this attitude is not optional, I expect it from everyone.

Quote:

It's not just you, Chad. Happy

The thing is to try to develop and learn real skills that would serve one well in a real swordfight : If one keep this in mind as the goal then one judges the results of one's action differently than if one is concentrating on winning a game i.e. counting points and scores.

The word " argument " is often used in the sense of having a heated disagreement while another definition of the word is to have a line of reasoning to prove or defend an opinion: The first can be hostile and not fun while the second can be friendly and the type of " arguments " that I like. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
Both have some applications in actual warfare, but neither are generally practiced to be applied on the battlefield.

That's simply not true. HEMA, good HEMA, is researched, taught and trained to be used in combat. Real combat. Whether or not it is ever used that way is irrelevant. Just as it is irrelevant whether a soldier ever uses his military training in combat...the nature of the training or the techniques he is learning don't change. He is training for war, whether he uses it or not.

What defines a martial art is not what you use it for, but how you train it. That is why SCA combat can be a martial art, depending on the practicioner. A person can study SCA combat and fight in tournaments with the honest intent of learning a real combat system and train accordingly. I would argue that SCA combat is not optimal, that historical techniques designed to kill rather than tournament techniques designed to win within a strict ruleset would be preferable, but that is just a question of degrees.

Like I said, I do agree with you on this...but remember that there is a flip side. One can study HEMA and become a martial sportsman if they do not approach training the right way either. I have seen a few WMA groups that got so caught up in winning the free spar matches that they were at least as bad...if not worse than...any "Why should I cover my hand when it isn't a legal target" SCA fighter.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
I'm going to do something that I don't fully agree with it, but I think it needs to be done to put Vassilis' chart into perspective. I'm going to add another activity to the chart.

It will be called 2KPwTL, or, 2 Kids Playing with Toys'R'Us Lighstabers:

...................................................................................... WMA....................................... SCA......................................2KPwTL
Use of simple cuts and guards to build upon: ....................... Yes......................................... Yes......................................... Yes
Use of drills to develop technique:......................................... Yes........................................ Yes......................................... Yes
Use of predetermined attacks and defenses............................Yes........................................ Yes......................................... Yes
Flexibility to adjust as the fight develops.................................Yes........................................ Yes......................................... Yes
Priority of defense and attacking defensively........................... Yes......................................... Yes......................................... Yes
Ability to kill if weapons were real...........................................Yes......................................... Yes ...................................... Yes(1)
Verifiable by historical sources................................................Yes(2)................................Yes(2)...................................... Yes(2)
Open to influences from other fighting arts................................?..........................................Yes......................................... Yes
Used in Melee tactics............................................................?..........................................Yes......................................... Yes
Free mixing of weapon forms..................................................Yes..........................................Yes......................................... Yes

(1) real lightsabers!?!? Heck yeah!

(2) If SCA combat gets a yes next to WMA, then by that same extension of logic 2KPwTL gets a yes next to SCA combat, as we are talking about a downward spiral. WMA is based on strict adherence to historical sources, while SCA combat is based on SCA rules, with a smattering of historical techniques where applicable (and where they fit into the rules). 2KPwTL can do the same.

My point here is not to denigrate the SCA...I've stated my opinion on SCA combat and I'm not taking it back with this chart. My point here is that things are not as simple as a yes or no chart, and if you try to simply things to that extent, you're opening the door to all kinds of silliness.

Umm last I checked, two kids playing with lightsabers didn't use drills or predetermined attacks and defense...nor did they fight all they defensively...but I get your point none the less...I don't really agree with tsafa's orginal chart either (SCA is NOT historically verified...and barring some major archeological find, it never will be).
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
"Why should I cover my hand when it isn't a legal target" SCA fighter.

I hate that and I am guilty of it. Last Saturday I found myself blocking sword blows with my basket. That's fine I guess if you're studying mortuary sword fighting but I'm not...

It is worth noting that the safety equipment involved in fighting full force does unfortunately tend to alter the way we fight, you just have to keep reminding yourself. That's part of the reason that I fight with minimal armor; to avoid "padded thinking".

Quote:
(SCA is NOT historically verified...and barring some major archeological find, it never will be).

What? You've not heard of the Sacred Ribbon of Saint Tenacious?

William Carew

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: One art, different contexts         Reply with quote

Historically, within Europe, training with weapons had both social-recreational and mortal-self defence applications: period authors often detailed both applications within the very same texts! Joachim Meyer certainly did.

Context was and still is key. Unfortunately, it is an appreciation of the different but often complimentary agonistic and antagonistic contexts within which HEMA was historically taught, practiced and used that appears to be missing from these discussions (which seem to flare up in forums with disappointing regularity).

The fencer that trained with Joachim Meyer in the 16th century learned how to throw cuts in recreational fechtschulen bouts that would make use of the whippy nature of the fencing foils employed in such engagements... but the same fencer would also learn how to throw a deadly zornhau or zwerchhau, how to disarm an opponent and how to fence for his life with a military sword, rapier or halberd within the same art (with a unified understanding of footwork, line, distance, initiative, pressure etc). It was and remains the same art with different applications depending on the situation. Modern practitioners can choose to focus solely on the lethal (or non-lethal) contexts of their chosen arts if they desire, but to pretend that both did not exist historically and were not practiced side by side is fallacious.

Thanks to the work of scholars like Matt Galas and J Christoph Amberger, we now know beyond doubt that social, recreational and (usually) non-lethal play was an integral feature of historical practice within the European fencing guilds such as the German fechtschulen. We have some of the rules the guilds established (e.g. no thrusts, no hand-strikes, no wrestling) to introduce both more safety and also cleaner and more appealing (to them) fencing (e.g. the red flower). This is before we even delve into the long history of knightly pas d'armes and tournaments, with their associated rules. And lest we start thinking the judicial duels featured so heavily in the earlier German sources were no-holds barred all-in brawls, even these were governed by strict and ruthlessly enforced rules (as were duels in 16th century Italy)! Meyer explains that even in earnest combat with one another, honourable Germans in his day would avoid using the point against one another, while the point was permitted against the common enemy. Much historical practice was governed by rules and restrictions, even in mortal combats... Interesting, no?

There is also a good case to be made that historically speaking, sporting and playful fencing practice helped prepare fencers to develop the all important attributes of judgement, perception and the understanding of timing, line and distance that is vital both in play and in earnest with dangerous techniques. Friendly freeplay is also fun and entertaining, then as now. We all know, and historical texts sometimes confirm, that some techniques are too dangerous to use in play. We are thus advised that dangerous techniques shouldn’t be used in play, but it needn’t follow that playful practice be abandoned altogether. If we really want to practice the arts as they were practiced back then, and not simply as we wish they were, we need to understand the context and accept the place of play within the art. To do otherwise is to turn one's back on the sources and declare that one knows better than the masters.

I’m still hoping that we can lay this storm in a teacup to bed once and for all, and just get on with the serious business of training harder, sharing information, fencing and working together. Wishful thinking?

Bill

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
William Carew

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Hello All,

Why don't we all just say the following:

To each his own.

Enjoy what you do, don't worry about what others think of your activity.

Really, if we did all worry about what "people" thought, not a single one one us would be doing what we do.

Cheers,

David

Well said David! I concur fully.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:

Cheers,

David

As a Browns fan its a really, really rough year for that and I'm not sure any Browns fan has ever qualified as normal! Sad

*Sorry this is completely off topic but I needed a lighter moment after reading this far.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
E Stafford

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Surprised. Wow. I didn't think it would go this far this fast.

Sorry for not being involved. Internet is somewhat unreliable these days, and I've been exhausted this week.

I liked Mr. Grandy's paintball analogy, and considered pulling it out myself. Good minds come to the same conclusion.

My biggest problem is the portrayal, once again, of SCA and reenactment groups as somehow escapist. Something I didn't mention in my original post is the fact that I am (going to be) a medieval and classics history major. For some reason, ren faire and medieval recreation groups have a vibe for being...odd. Might have something to do with the fantasy people and otherkin we attract. It's a vibe I'm getting from EVERYONE. Yet, Civil War reenacting, part of our (well, American's) history, is totally acceptable and even applauded. Don't ask. So, for me, it's got more to do with historical research, AND I get to play swishy poke. For most of us, the fighting is the main draw and the research (A&S for those in the know) is the side.

I also didn't consider that the SCA was the most accessible of the WMA groups, and seeing that brought up surprised me. It makes sense; the Outlands (Wyoming and Colorado) have groups within a couple of hours of any of towns/settlements (Wyoming doesn't have cities.) The other groups are small clubs, with the exception of ARMA, who have the home study program. But, when learning a martial art, you really have to have a sifu/sensei/teacher (I have no idea what we would call a teacher, so pardon the borrowing of Asian terms.)

Anyway, I think this worked out. And, I haven't been around to see these arguments rehashed in other forums. So, apologies to everyone with battle fatigue. I'll be around.
Anders Nilsson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Oct, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As i wrote earlier, it mostly a personal issue. I have meet SCA fighters that are serious and are studying manuals. SCA cut and thrust/rapier fighting is HEMA. Those practitioners I have meet do what Rapier HEMA groups do, the difference is that SCA do it in historical clothes.

I don´t like the heavy fighting thou.
Any martial art that has "Holes in the game" is a quite bad martial art. If you want to become a skilled fighter you need to be comfortable wherever the fight ends up. In HEMA you need to be able to fight with you first and sometimes secondary weapon, (In my case, longsword and dagger) you also have to know how to punch, kick and wrestle, (Ringen, ringen am schwert, dagger), you also need to be able to hold your own if the fight ends up on the ground, (Ringen, dagger).

If your martial art has "Holes in the game" it´s not a complete martial art, and I wouldn´t classify it as a good martial art. And this goes for many martial arts, for example boxing and TKD falls inte this cathegory.

Other things that bugs me about heavy fighting is their armour.
At first. They mix ages and weapons.
Why would a Vendelperiod warrior be fighting with Zweihanders against a spanish conquistador? (Or a Spartan Vs Knight, etc etc, I have seen plenty of odd bouts from SCA gatherings)
That´s so unhistorical that it burns in my soul.
If you want to explore a fighting style of for example the Vendelperiod, you need to examine the facts and finds, and start training with the weapons used at the time, and against the weapons and armour they would have faced.
Everything else is fantasy, and if it´s fantasy, I would like to be a cavetroll Big Grin

Second is the quality of much of the SCA armour. In Sweden they are called Lord Jofa and Count Gaffa. Because the use of hockeyprotections and Gaffatape is so common in SCA armour.
Once again, it´s a personal problem, but one that would easily be fixed with some dresscode.
Much armour is also made for heavy fighting and not after historical finds. Heavy fighting armour is usually thicker than historical armour, thus making it unhistorical.
If you want to do historical fighting in armour, you need something that works like historical armour. If not, it´s fantasy, and then I still want to be a cavetroll Big Grin
(Note that I wrote "Works like historical armour". I have stainless steel in my gothic plate, so it´s not a historical armour. But the weight and movement of my armour is the same so "It works like historical armour", thus making it possible for me to train historical technics in it.)

Third is their simulation of armour. They use hard swings to defeat armour, when tests and historical texts show that to defeat armour you need to stab in the weak points. Show me the test that shows that you can cut through any type of armour with a sword.

What I like about heavy fighting is their battles. I would like to try them out, they look really fun, and in that context, the Heavy fighting rules makes sense.
I for one want to go one step further. I have a dream of doing battlefield HEMA. As experiemental archelogy. To use what find of weapons use, and commands and drills and then try them out on a field in formation.

Anders "Nelle" Nilsson, Instructor Angermanna Mnhfs
To train martial arts without fighting is like slalom without snow.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > SCA
Page 4 of 31 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: