Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is Your Favorite Rapier? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my favorite original rapier - a Pappenheimer with one side curving in to function as a thumb ring. I've forgotten where it comes from, I think somewhere in Scandinavia.

Attachment: 37.67 KB
papp2.jpg

Attachment: 34.39 KB
papp3.jpg

Attachment: 7.45 KB
papp1.jpg

E Stafford

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Eek! Eek!. All very nice rapiers. One quick question: how does one find Mr. Barta's rapier page? The closest I found was TEMPL, and no such luck. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is the correct website. I just emailed him. You can also click on the links for TEMPL in the links section.

I too am interested in his Schiavona and to see what else peakes his interest. I love that red, gold, silver rapier as well.

As for a pappenheimer, I chose to have Vladimir Cervenka do that one....

Last edited by Chris Artman on Fri 30 May, 2008 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E Stafford wrote:
Eek! Eek! Eek!. All very nice rapiers. One quick question: how does one find Mr. Barta's rapier page? The closest I found was TEMPL, and no such luck. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Rapiers are found here - http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-middleage_and_modern_age.php
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Here is my favorite original rapier - a Pappenheimer with one side curving in to function as a thumb ring. I've forgotten where it comes from, I think somewhere in Scandinavia.

That's one of my favorite looking swords, I'd love to know more about how it handles, stats, etc. It's in the Swedish Army Museum.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That blade is really wide on that pappenheimer... Looks beautiful. I like the flare of the blade at the hilt also...
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
Just say someone wanted to purchase a Rapier a la Taza, but didn't want to buy one of Mr. Chen's CAS/Hanwei ones... where can you Rapier men recommend that he goes? Or more specifically, where can he find one that he can purchase?

Also, what is your opinion of Taza Rapiers?

I am also interested in peoples opinions of Taza Rapiers, specifically the paul chen ones. I have heard the newer versions have a better, lighter blade. Can anyone comfirm this?

inkothemgard!
Simon Van Der Spoel

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Mortuary sword         Reply with quote

I have to confess not knowing enough about rapiers to claim a favourite, but in reference to a complex style hilt, Craig's Mortuary sword certainly catches my eye, in functionality and finish, while not being art like Mr Barta's stuff, I can see this in the hand of a noble and not being embarrased to use it in public

http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_...mp;c_id=50

thoughts?

Creator of the History Channel Documentary: "Spitfire Guardians"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLyNZgA0_iM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTIFoQ1m2LM

Director: "Mounted Steel" Jousting Documentary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIqrkN29HVQ
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jun, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

It's on display in the Swedish Army museum in Stockholm. It's an interesting weapon as it consists of a 1620's hilt fitted with a new blade in 1640's. I'm not usre it can be called a rapier though, the blade is massive and probably more efficient in the cut than in the thrust.

Martin Buckley

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This English rapier is very nice. Found the pictures here on myArmoury.

Attachment: 32.81 KB
very%20nice.jpg

Attachment: 20.95 KB
EnglishLightRapier1620.jpg

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, I am interested in getting the A&A German Rapier and using a slighter wider/longer blade. Do you think this would uspet the balance too much? I was thinking of using the Gustav or French blade with thet hilt... Any suggestions?

Also, would you reccomend getting the hilt bluing, aesthetically speaking, yea or nay?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
By the way, I am interested in getting the A&A German Rapier and using a slighter wider/longer blade. Do you think this would uspet the balance too much? I was thinking of using the Gustav or French blade with thet hilt... Any suggestions?

Also, would you reccomend getting the hilt bluing, aesthetically speaking, yea or nay?

Any change in blade will affect the balance in some way. The guys at A&A would know how much.

I wouldn't blue the hilt. The original doesn't appear to have been blued. I think the details of the hilt would stand out more in a satin or polished finish than in a blued finish.

I suspect you know this, but I'd stick with whatever is the closest to the original (whether blade or bluing), but that's personal preference. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

My advice is not to have them use another pre-existing blade, but to have them make a blade that you want to fit the dynamics of the hilt. I actually have a German Rapier on order with A&A now with a nail head, but I'm 6'2" and wanted the length to fit my height, so I asked them to modify the blade. The craftsman at A&A, from my experience, have been really good about judging what tweaks need to be made to keep the whole package working nicely.

Quote:

My own preference would be for it to stay bright and polished to allow the engravings to really show. On the other hand, I can imagine a blued piece, and I think it would still look really nice.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Bill. I ordered their Serenissima rapier with a longer practice blade. I just described the characteristics of handling I wanted, and even left the final blade type (trainer or nail) up to Craig. I received it earlier this month and am quite pleased with it.
Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers wrote:
I agree with Bill. I ordered their Serenissima rapier with a longer practice blade. I just described the characteristics of handling I wanted, and even left the final blade type (trainer or nail) up to Craig. I received it earlier this month and am quite pleased with it.

Ooo, good choice Eric! I really love that sword.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I placed an order today with Craig on the German set... I agree on the hilt bluing, that in this particular hilt, it probably is better to keep the original and not have the bluing for the reasons Chad mentioned, although I'm sure both would look nice.

Craig is extending the blade length slightly to 37 inches and may be changing some of the other blade proportions just a little. The tip will be sharp.
Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

It's on display in the Swedish Army museum in Stockholm. It's an interesting weapon as it consists of a 1620's hilt fitted with a new blade in 1640's. I'm not usre it can be called a rapier though, the blade is massive and probably more efficient in the cut than in the thrust.

That right there is one of perhaps three custom swords I plan to have made to the same level of finish as the original someday. I just love the blade/hilt combo.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Nathan, have you ever gone to that metal working place near Oakland? They had an awesome metal sculpture event with fire... lots of the metalworking used propane gas... I forget the name ofthe show, but it is once yearly, late July I think... I just moved here to San Francisco from Arlington VA. In any case, I thought at some point, it would be great to join that metalworking school for a hobby... You have probably been to that event in Oakland, I can't remember the name of it... I'll probably go this year again...

You are perchance referring to the Crucible and their Fire Arts Festival?

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes... That is coming up again... I look forward to going. I think it would be good to take some classes there also... With my art background, some metalworking courses, blacksmith courses... I'll be making swords and weapons with a 6 year waitlist :-)

Anyway, that is a really cool metalworking event and show.
E Stafford

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has seen Prince Caspian, or the work WETA did on those rapiers, but they are GORGEOUS.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is Your Favorite Rapier?
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: