Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next Wave of NextGens... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
A revisiting of the Templar would be very cool! I'm posting pics of one of Peter's swords that is my personal favorite, it's the big type Xa (XII,XIII?..hard to tell with the lighting) with the tea cosy pommel and the type 2 cross. I think it would fit the bill of a big shield splitter very well...... Also, what about some other versions based on the Knight?

Nevermind the sword with the teacozy... No, that beast on the left. Eek! That's a monster!!! What a beauty! Now that is what I call a shieldsplitter! Man, whoever got that sword is one lucky guy...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:
A revisiting of the Templar would be very cool! I'm posting pics of one of Peter's swords that is my personal favorite, it's the big type Xa (XII,XIII?..hard to tell with the lighting) with the tea cosy pommel and the type 2 cross. I think it would fit the bill of a big shield splitter very well...... Also, what about some other versions based on the Knight?

Nevermind the sword with the teacozy... No, that beast on the left. Eek! That's a monster!!! What a beauty! Now that is what I call a shieldsplitter! Man, whoever got that sword is one lucky guy...

I'll take all four, thank you very much! Razz
Chris Lampe

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, since everyone else is throwing out suggestions I'll add my two cents worth. Happy

I really like type XVI swords but I'm not too crazy about the either the Squire or the Prince. I'd love to see NG version of this simple yet elegant sword.

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxvi09.jpg
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tea cozy on a type XI pretty please. I think that the NG line needs a 12th C. single hander with a tea cozy. I realize I may be asking the impossible.

Jeremy
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Lampe wrote:
well, since everyone else is throwing out suggestions I'll add my two cents worth. Happy

I really like type XVI swords but I'm not too crazy about the either the Squire or the Prince. I'd love to see NG version of this simple yet elegant sword.

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxvi09.jpg

Just wanted to point ouyt that the reviews section has a review of a custom version of that sword:
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_jd_xvi.html

Gordon
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Tea cozy on a type XI pretty please. I think that the NG line needs a 12th C. single hander with a tea cozy. I realize I may be asking the impossible.

Jeremy

Seconded. Wink
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another vote for a "classic" Type-XIII.
Tops on my list right now are the Bayeaux which I already have partially paid for and a Ritter.
This in addition to the Baron, SoSM, Tritonia, Sovreign, Knight, Gaddhjalt, and Templar I already have. Big Grin

Brian M
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well....I'm sure Peter is tired of us all pushing for our favorite type when these threads come around....but I'll put in a plug for my favorite type again. I'm thinking it would be an easy modification for the Knight....so to illustrate I'm using a photo mod I did a few years ago to that photo someone just posted .....come to think of it I think I did it before the next gens came out.......
So anyway, Peter, if you want to make one man very happy....

Attachment: 36.76 KB
peterjohnsson6.JPG

Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan,

I held off from posting about that exact type of set up for the knight's blade till you showed that. Seems like we are of one mind. I would love to see a less complex (and hopefully slightly cheaper) set up on Albion's Type XII blade. I would even be happy with a rectangular cross.

Since I'm on the subject, I would LOVE to see a version of the Type XI Hospitaller blade that is slightly shorter at around 28-30" or so. I know such would be atypical for this type, but (as a short guy who has issues with the longer one handers) it's just my ideal sword.

Jonathan.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, yet another request. I'd like to see a sword that combines the pommel of the Caithness with the guard of the Laird. I've seen swords of this sort in illustrations before, and I think mixing the hilt furniture of these two weapons into a new Type XII would be cool.

Obviously, this is a project to be pursued only when both the Laird and the Caithness have sold out.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking about what the Crecy XVIa blade would look like with the Ringeck's furniture.

Attachment: 17.32 KB
crecy-ringeck hybrid.JPG

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
I was thinking about what the Crecy XVIa blade would look like with the Ringeck's furniture.

I am also in the camp that would like to see another sword using the Crecy blade, but Oakeshott stated in The Sword in the Age of Chivalry that, "On all surviving specimens of the type, the hilts could equally well be of c. 1300 or c. 1450." Since the pommel of the Ringeck is a style that would not be apropriate for 1300, there is a very good chance that it would not be apropriate for a type XVIa. Someone who has seen a larger sampling of swords might be able to shed more light on this particular point, but I don't think any of us wants Albion to start making swords that deviate too far from being typical of the historical examples.

Now, and I1 pommel on that blade...

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Brian D. A.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I thought of something like this too a while back, though with the Mercenary's furniture. Does anyone know if there is any historical basis for something along those lines?

[Edit] I meant is there something historical along the lines of a curved guard and a pommel of similar shape, not necessarily any one of these particular hilt setups mentioned.
Douglas G. Taylor

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Albion Rapier in the works?         Reply with quote

Dear Howie and Peter,

Does Albion have any plans for offering a Rapier?

Doug
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
I am also in the camp that would like to see another sword using the Crecy blade, but Oakeshott stated in The Sword in the Age of Chivalry that, "On all surviving specimens of the type, the hilts could equally well be of c. 1300 or c. 1450." Since the pommel of the Ringeck is a style that would not be apropriate for 1300, there is a very good chance that it would not be apropriate for a type XVIa.

If the hilts could "equally well be of c. 1300 or c. 1450," and the type T pommel was seen from the 1350s to the 1500s, why couldn't the XVIa have a T type pommel? The Brecia Spadona has a modified type T pommel.

Greyson Brown wrote:
Now, and I1 pommel on that blade...

Agreed Big Grin or a J1

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a Type XVIa in the myArmoury Oakeshott Typology section which has a guard similar to the Mercenary's. I was wondering if there are any antique XVIa swords out there which have a style 4 guard.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:
I am also in the camp that would like to see another sword using the Crecy blade, but Oakeshott stated in The Sword in the Age of Chivalry that, "On all surviving specimens of the type, the hilts could equally well be of c. 1300 or c. 1450." Since the pommel of the Ringeck is a style that would not be apropriate for 1300, there is a very good chance that it would not be apropriate for a type XVIa.

If the hilts could "equally well be of c. 1300 or c. 1450," and the type T pommel was seen from the 1350s to the 1500s, why couldn't the XVIa have a T type pommel? The Brecia Spadona has a modified type T pommel.

I may easily be misunderstanding what Oakeshott meant, but I read this as saying that the type (or rather subtype) XVIa swords had hilts of an earlier, but long lasting style. Perhaps, also, I am putting too much emphassis on 1300 and should view it more as 1300's. While the type T pommels came into use in the 1300's, arguing for them in the year 1300 is a little harder, and that, I think, is the where I reached the conclusion that I did on these swords.

As I said, someone who has seen more originals can probably clear this up more readily, and I certainly wouldn't frown on a sword with your hilt arrangement if that was deemed to be historically plausible by those who have more (meaning any) practical experience than I.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Sat 09 Jun, 2007 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Albion Rapier in the works?         Reply with quote

Douglas G. Taylor wrote:
Dear Howie and Peter,

Does Albion have any plans for offering a Rapier?

Doug

Hi Doug!

Not to let too many cats out of too many bags, but...

The models we have introduced (like the German XIXs and the Machiavelli) were designed to move our production processes down the line toward the more complex hilts of rapiers. Once we get the finishing of those worked out,, we will be moving into those more complex hilts full speed.

Peter has already designed a first rapier blade, based on an incredible pristine un-hilted Toledo blade he was able to document. We have already run it once, and it only needs a few tweaks in the program to make it perfect.

I am not sure yet when we will be previewing any of this (we still have so many announced models hanging fire), but we will be doing so. I will guarantee you that it will not be like any other reproduction rapier on the market.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh my yes, a XVIa with more... elaborate furniture has been one of my daydreams pretty much ever since the Crecy was revealed. Happy
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Douglas G. Taylor

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Thanks Howy!         Reply with quote

Thanks for the insider information Howy,

I'm very new to swords, and in fact am awaiting my first sword (an Albion of course!). I hadn't thought too much of the rapiers, as (from their appearance) they always seemed to me to be a "sissy sword." Only after I studied them a bit did I understand how effective they were. They do seem to be one of the last major developements in sword configurations while swords were still considered a primary weapon. And after watching the Rob Roy sword fight again and seeing the bad guy's rapier in use, I am now really interested in adding one to my tiny but soon to be growing sword collection. So I'm really glad to hear that Albion has plans for a rapier, please put me on the list for one.

Best,

Doug

[Edited to change size and color-Chad]

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next Wave of NextGens...
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: