Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sounds like: "I just was bored so I amde a nice looking scabbard"...especially as you wrote it yesterday.
Looks really nice, I wish I could make something like this just after dinner.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment.

I kind of cheat when making scabbards, as I use a poplar laminate core (3 thin planks instead of 2 thicker ones) and power tools. Once you have done a few of them, you can turn one out in about 6-8 hours. It's just a matter of having all the materials in place and the tools you need to speed up production time. It's just a matter of perfecting a method and sticking with it. However, though using my quick method will render a nice looking scabbard, it's a far cry from its historic counterparts.

Not exactly an after dinner gig, but definately a I woke up and made a scabbard today is more than possible, if you have a little uninturrupted time, your materials already on hand, and a nice little workshop. Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These just arrived today; two British Pattern 1821 Royal Artillery Officers' Swords. Both were made by Wilkinson, and both feature "Patent Solid Hilt" construction. The sword with the steel scabbard was made in 1893 and the sword with the leather field service scabbard was made in 1901. The earlier sword is quite a beast, but both are nice examples of fighting swords. I am working on write-ups on the originals owners of these swords, which I may post at a later date. These swords are in need of some gentle clean-up and TLC, a project I am eager to tackle when I find the time!

Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Thanks for the compliment.

I kind of cheat when making scabbards, as I use a poplar laminate core (3 thin planks instead of 2 thicker ones) and power tools. Once you have done a few of them, you can turn one out in about 6-8 hours. It's just a matter of having all the materials in place and the tools you need to speed up production time. It's just a matter of perfecting a method and sticking with it. However, though using my quick method will render a nice looking scabbard, it's a far cry from its historic counterparts.

Not exactly an after dinner gig, but definately a I woke up and made a scabbard today is more than possible, if you have a little uninturrupted time, your materials already on hand, and a nice little workshop. Big Grin

Nice scabbard! If you don't mind, could you explain your construction method (at least the wood core part of it)? How do the 3 planks come into the equation, and what basic power tools/jigs do you use?

Thanks,
Dustin
Daniel Michaelsson

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
These just arrived today; two British Pattern 1821 Royal Artillery Officers' Swords. Both were made by Wilkinson, and both feature "Patent Solid Hilt" construction. The sword with the steel scabbard was made in 1893 and the sword with the leather field service scabbard was made in 1901. The earlier sword is quite a beast, but both are nice examples of fighting swords. I am working on write-ups on the originals owners of these swords, which I may post at a later date. These swords are in need of some gentle clean-up and TLC, a project I am eager to tackle when I find the time!

Very cool. How much did they set you back?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Michaelsson wrote:
Very cool. How much did they set you back?

Thank you. Happy I obtained these through a trade.

Jonathan
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice acquisitions Jonathan. I've always had a fancy for the old sabres from the "twilight of empire", so to speak.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Patrick. I like them, too. Happy Right now I only collect swords with provenance. Researching the officers who carried these swords is really rewarding, and can make an ordinary sword seem rather extraordinary.

Jonathan
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: New Bronze Sword         Reply with quote

Bronze sword from Neil Burridge hilted by Shane Allee. They both do excellent work. This is based on a late bronze period Hallstatt example. The blade is 73 cm and sword weighs 910g. Edge is work hardened/hammered and sharpened. Quite sharp actually. Can you guess the handle/pommel material?

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tagua, perhaps?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

European Smallsword with pierced steel hilt. Blade is oval and 33 inches.

Attachment: 9.19 KB
peirced hilt 6.jpg

Attachment: 38.01 KB
pierced hilt 2.jpg

Attachment: 52.04 KB
peirced hilt 8.jpg

inkothemgard!
Ole W.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
Here is a Sheriff I got in the Marketplace. I made a wood-core, leather covered scabbard for it Wednesday, and dyed the grip on my Mercenary to match. The guard geometry makes these a pretty good companion weapon set. Overall, I am quite happy with the way these turned out.

You have made an amazing scabbard. Even though you refer to it in causual terms, your scabbard could compete with those of professional scabbard makers! I am exceedingly impressed.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just came yesterday...

Valiant Armoury / A-Trim I-Beam blunt longsword trainer. Had to sell one of my antique M1902 US Army
dress sabre's to fund this, but have been wanting / needing a new longsword blunt.

Purchased from Kult of Athena...good price and good service.

haven't gotten all specs on it yet. Need to waitn until Monday so that I may take it to work a proper weight
it. So far, I'm a liking the way it handles, little more blade heavy than my Hanwei h&h practical and my Del-Tin

cheers,

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well just bought a Type XVII from Tinker as he is having a sale at the moment 33% off the original price. Big Grin

I don't have one of this type and the closest I have are type XVa like the A & A Black Prince, so it fills a hole in the type of longsword I have.

One deciding factor for me is the differential hardness of the blade that is soft in tang and shoulder, very hard over most of the blade edges 58 / 60 RC and somewhat softer near the point I guess to give the point more flexibility or less brittleness for durability.

I like the look of the sword but I chose it before a couple of other appealing offerings in the sale because of the above characteristics that should be very interesting performance wise: My Longsword group is going to have a cutting party late in July and I'm tempted to try it out against soft targets. ( Well, I don't think melons are going to scratch the blade Wink Laughing Out Loud and I do tend to want to " Baby " my more expensive collectable swords. Wink )

Here is a link to the sword on Tinker's site:

Scroll down a bit past the other nice swords that may be sold very soon. Wink
http://www.tinkerswords.com/Page%203.html

Oh, and yes, I am giving this sale a bit of a plug as our makers are also having a hard time with the current economy, and the prices are a bargain if one can afford it at this time.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well just bought a Type XVII from Tinker ...

Monsieur Thibodeau, any chance we'll get a short review on that piece? How about some You Tube action from that cutting party?

Kinda jealous... I like that sword a lot. Congrats.

A vos souhaits!
-Eric
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric W. Norenberg wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well just bought a Type XVII from Tinker ...

Monsieur Thibodeau, any chance we'll get a short review on that piece? How about some You Tube action from that cutting party?

Kinda jealous... I like that sword a lot. Congrats.

A vos souhaits!
-Eric

Pics from the cutting party are a possibility. U-Tube probably not unless the director of my longsword group posts one or more of our " fun ". Wink

A review: The Tinker site has all the relevant statistics that one can read now but I can give my subjective handling and aesthetic impressions when I have it in hand.

Shouldn't have spent the money but at least the sales price what at the top of my zone of comfort while the original price was just too much over it.

I expect that it will be a week or 10 days before it arrives depending on how soon it's packed up and shipped.

( Edited 4th of July 2009: Oh, not shipped yet and the cutting party is next weekend so I may not get it in time for this cutting party ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sat 04 Jul, 2009 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Greg S

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: A late 18 cent. British smallsword:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Nice loophilt and dagger Chris!!

Here is my most recent weapon. A late 18 cent. British smallsword:

I like your taste in swords.
/Greg

Heimat!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received my pre-owned Albion Mercenary! This sword is the finest replica I have owned (not that I've owned many). Odingaard's review was spot-on. I am so happy I was able to get this. I will hold onto this one for a good long while! I'd post some pics, but my camera is in for repairs. Sad It has an oxblood grip with single cord rise in the center, and other wise looks as it does in the photos on Albion's website.

EDIT: Here are pics from the Marketplace ad:

Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jul, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got my Albion Vigil. This is a combo birthday, fathers day, anniversary and valentines day present from my wife so I'm out of luck until Christmas Big Grin
It has an antiqued hilt with light brown leather over dark.

Attachment: 125.71 KB
vigil2.jpg

Attachment: 110.53 KB
vigil1.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a registered member of this forum since 2003, and even if I post quite rarely, I'm a regular visitor. And it shows, my collection of swords is slowly growing. After two Czech blunt swords and a German Falchion from Windlass I finally cracked in and ordered Albion Earl:

Now the rest of my "collection" looks like scrap metal. :P I'm very impressed by the Earl, it's everything I imagined by reading the reviews, and more. Can't wait till I try it out in test cutting. And thrusting. Big Grin I have some linen jack sections that need venting holes, hehe.

I have to thank Søren Niedzella from Albion Europe for a great deal, artisans from Albion for making the sword, Peter Johnsson for designing such a deadly beauty and of course you people here at this site for educating me there is something more to the medieval sword than crude products I was familiar with.

Now to make a scabbard for it...

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 30 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: