Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been following your progress Felix, and there is very little constructive I can say. Its just that good. Any problems you've spotted yourself and fixed (like the maille not fitting under the breastplate etc.) Be encouraged and please make this the first of many beautiful harnesses.

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous project with us.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments.

Well there are of course several things I learned through this project.

First, you need very good fitting and tight foundation garments. My first Matuls Pourpoint was much too wide nearly everywhere except the much too tight arms. I had to put in some money to make it work. It was still not good enough. Now I have the combination of a sleeveless vest/pourpoint, that is very tight around the torso, supporting hose and legs. The new arming cotte/doublet/jacket (whatever one should call this) is differentially padded and rather stiff (will soften up through use of course), although the padding is between 0.5-1cm, I would still go a little bit thinner mabe around the waist next time. But it is really good fitting, after being sent the garments for the first time it was too wide around the waist. Luckily the guys of Medieval-Market were on an event not too far away from me, so I drove to them and let them take measurements for modifications. They took the pieces to their shop and after some weeks, I got those pieces back now perfectly fitting my trunk.

Second, take your time finding a good armourer, that has a good eye for correct forms and lines, but also knows about fitting. I am still not totally happy with the fit of the gauntlets (will have to sew in better fitting gloves) and the arm harness. You´d get the best results when you can visit the armourer yourself or he takes his time fitting things on a similar sized person. Jiri doesn´t seem to be too far off regarding my dimensions, so the breast/fauld and helmet are quite good fitting. The tight waist on the fauld works like a strong belt keeping up the maile.

Third, when buying maile, don´t buy round rivetted stuff. In mine the rivetting has to much recess of the rivets on one side. And maybe I should have looked for maile with smaller ring diameter.

So, overall I am happy with the harness so far. But as I am very critical with things, I can always find things to improve.

Unfortunately, this will be my only real harness. So don´t wait for something else with similar effort in time and money Wink, the only next thing will be a mid 14th cent footman kit, that is on half the way.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work Felix R.!

This is my kit-in-progress. It's about 50/50 purchased components vs. handmade components. I'm trying to represent the mid to late 14th century as best I can, while still being safe for SCA combat. I've replaced every component over the last 10-12 years as time, money and period knowledge allow.

Attachment: 48.16 KB
kit - November 2009.jpg
Current Kit

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impressive. The only thing that don't appeal to me is the coif over the pauldrons. It's a little...messy, I think, like a formal dress with the shirt rumpled.
Scott Hrouda

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele A. Pini wrote:
Impressive. The only thing that don't appeal to me is the coif over the pauldrons. It's a little...messy, I think, like a formal dress with the shirt rumpled.

You hit the nail on the head! I modified a coif into a camail (http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/13891.html), but didn't want to shorten the length until I wore it in combat and received comments on the post.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix,

Your kit just looks *magnificent*!

Felix R. wrote:

Second, take your time finding a good armourer, that has a good eye for correct forms and lines, but also knows about fitting. I am still not totally happy with the fit of the gauntlets (will have to sew in better fitting gloves) and the arm harness. You´d get the best results when you can visit the armourer yourself or he takes his time fitting things on a similar sized person. Jiri doesn´t seem to be too far off regarding my dimensions, so the breast/fauld and helmet are quite good fitting. The tight waist on the fauld works like a strong belt keeping up the maile.

Completely agreed, and I'm anxiously awaiting the legs Jiri is making for me right now! Wink

Quote:

Unfortunately, this will be my only real harness. So don´t wait for something else with similar effort in time and money Wink, the only next thing will be a mid 14th cent footman kit, that is on half the way.

That's OK, it's been a lot of fun watching this one come together!

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Nice work Felix R.!

This is my kit-in-progress. It's about 50/50 purchased components vs. handmade components. I'm trying to represent the mid to late 14th century as best I can, while still being safe for SCA combat. I've replaced every component over the last 10-12 years as time, money and period knowledge allow.

Scott,

It's really a nice, clean harness of 1360 or so. I'd say the only major things to change would be to replace the butted mail with a riveted haubergeon, and to get a pair of Wisby or hourglass gauntlets. Good work!

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Scott Hrouda wrote:
Nice work Felix R.!

Scott,

It's really a nice, clean harness of 1360 or so. I'd say the only major things to change would be to replace the butted mail with a riveted haubergeon, and to get a pair of Wisby or hourglass gauntlets. Good work!

That would be my only recommendation too. The aventail might work/look better when being on the person. Otherwise shortening is perhaps one hour of cutting off the links.

Nice kit Scott! It is always nice to see some more 14th century kits. Take a picture wearing it please, when you have the time. Perhaps you can also post some more details of the splinted cuisses. I would like to make some myself for the mid 14th cent. Militia kit.
Norbert Keller

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there!

I am starting to collect a late 15th century armor for myself, it's far from complete, but soon...

Here is my breastplate and gauntlets made by Máté Bánsághi.

Attachment: 72.97 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 183.51 KB
[ Download ]
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like you're headed in a solid direction so far! I love the two pieces you've got. It should look great when it's finally assembled.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Paul Mullins

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I seem to have an attention problem Wink

Italian Alpino 1942

22nd Va Infantry 1863

Swiss Bicycle Infantry 1944

Roman Auxiliary 1st Century AD

Roman Legionary 1st Century AD

German Infantry 1918

Colonial Militia 1780

Generic 13th Century

Is that enough? :wink:
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Te lŕ ul vecio Paul!

(trad: "Oh, there the old Paul!" but "vecio" is a particular name for the alpin veterans)

A good choice the Italian Alpino. Any particular motive?

Last edited by Gabriele A. Pini on Mon 30 Nov, 2009 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Mullins

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele A. Pini wrote:
A good choice the Italian Alpino. Any particular motive?

Thank you Gabriele!

Well, I do have a motive, I do several living history displays a year that revolve around WW2. I noticed that there was always a lack of people representing the Italian aspect of the war. I decided that I wanted to represent the Italian solider for these displays and help inform the public that attend these events about the Italian soldier. I believe the Italian soldier was the same as any other soldier and done their duty and they should also be remembered.
Scott Hrouda

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,

I'm amazed at the quality and variety of your kits! I thought assembling a kit that covers 25 years (1350 to 1375) was time consuming and expensive. I can't imagine how much time and money you have invested! The quality and attention to detail really shine through.

I'm especially taken with the colonial militia photograph as you stand watch on the palisade with fresh snow falling. What a great photo! Happy

Quinn W.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,
That's a wonderful assembly of outfits you've got. You're clearly very devoted to your interests. I must note that the pictures themselves are wonderful as well. Of course I can appreciate a kit whether previewed in a castle or a parking lot, but it's always great when the image itself pulls you into the period you attempt to recreate. The picture with you on the wall in the snow in particular stands out, but all of the other pictures tweaked just enough to give both a clear view of your regalia and yet also conveying a sense of period nostalgia... it's a great combo. Did you have a professional photographer take any of these?

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Evan Jones

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,

I assure you that such a severe case of ADD is nothing to be ashamed of, and is probably something of which the rest of us are either jealous, or guilty of ourselves Wink Your outfits rock man, keep em comin' !

"Love and serve your friends, hate and harm your enemies..." -Geoffroi de Charny
Paul Mullins

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the comments! I tend to have many varied interests when it comes to history. I am sure that shows with all of these kits. I am cursed with re-enacting ADD and the ability to make most of my kits. This is the only reason I can afford to have so many of them. If I cannot make it, typically I will make something and trade/sale it for what I need.

The only photo that was taken by a proffesional is the Colonial Militia photo of my friend and I on the fort palisade. We were hanging out at the fort that day all alone, when a photographer showed up just to take photos of the fort. The others were mostly taken by my wonderful wife who has a good eye for photos.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mullins wrote:
Thanks for all of the comments! I tend to have many varied interests when it comes to history. I am sure that shows with all of these kits. I am cursed with re-enacting ADD and the ability to make most of my kits. This is the only reason I can afford to have so many of them. If I cannot make it, typically I will make something and trade/sale it for what I need.

The only photo that was taken by a professional is the Colonial Militia photo of my friend and I on the fort palisade. We were hanging out at the fort that day all alone, when a photographer showed up just to take photos of the fort. The others were mostly taken by my wonderful wife who has a good eye for photos.

Ah, proof of Time Travelling and I can't believe you actually put together all those kits. Razz Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool ( Obviously joking. Cool )

Seriously, very impressed by the number and quality of the kits and thanks for posting. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i see your axis and blow you away Wink
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice wwII kits. hers some kits ive been meaning to show, but only just now can because i finally got a decent computer. they are not much, but as i am 15, this is as far as my (small) budget has taken me. however, i im saving up for a re-enactment quality Landsknecht kit. anyway, here goes.

Attachment: 72.72 KB
facebook pics1.jpg

Attachment: 65.3 KB
facebook pics2.jpg

“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by Nathan Quarantillo on Mon 07 Dec, 2009 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 29 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: