Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rare and Unusual Indian "cutlass'
English Cut Steel Smallsword.
English Silver Mounted Slot Hilt Hanger.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Angus Trim 1315

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest sword; a Del Tin 2121. Picked it up in the shop at the Royal Armouries in Leeds last week. I wasn't planning on buying a sword but saw this at a very reasonable price so couldn't resist! Big Grin

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
N. Prauda

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:

Here are my Del Tins 2142 warsword and 2130 St. Maurice but with exchanged crosses and new red leather grips and scabbards.

Luka,

very stylish. If I may ask, did you change the crossguards youself, or was this a custom work by Del Tin? I think that especially the looks of the 2142 were vastly improved by the new guard. Congratulations on the new blades.

-n.
Tom Carson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine is the Dynasty Forge Daimyo Tri-Steel, Forge Folded 29" Katana in the Cherry Blossom Theme. It is also my first Big Grin You can read my humble review of it recently on this forum. There are some great photos on this thread Big Grin Lets keep it going Wink

Have a great day!
Tom

Attachment: 63.48 KB
Unsheathed, Saya,& Kit1 (Medium).JPG

"You never know what the other person knows."
Tim Boyer

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Time to get caught up, in a single picture Razz

Not a great one, because the weather hasn't been exactly cooperative lately and when it is... I don't remember to pull them out to take pics Razz

Newest sword being on the left, Jody Samson's (god bless) Skull-crusher Cutlass, which i was so incredibly lucky to receive from last year's support raffle! Thank you everyone for that.

2nd newest being the Atlantean on the right, which Søren of Albion Europe was very helpful in obtaining when i managed to put off dropping the money for one after they were discontinued in the states Eek!

At the bottom is my third sword, the Godfred Viking Sword from CAS/Iberia Hanwei. I bought it for a Viking set i made last year for going to a fair, and i really have to say i was very pleasantly surprised with how it feels in the hand after my first sword from them (which isn't pictured)

And then the middle, which really is at this point the pinnacle of my modest collection. The Discerner was the first sword i ordered from Albion, and the quality and craftmanship of it just blows my mind away.

And Albion keeps coming out with more swords to fall in love with Eek! I just keep telling myself i have to wait for The Dane before i order another Razz

Bad is never good, until worse happens.
Danish Proverb
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice collection. I'm particularly envious/fond/desiring of the JS & Atlantean.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 14 Mar, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

N. Prauda wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Here are my Del Tins 2142 warsword and 2130 St. Maurice but with exchanged crosses and new red leather grips and scabbards.

Luka,

very stylish. If I may ask, did you change the crossguards youself, or was this a custom work by Del Tin? I think that especially the looks of the 2142 were vastly improved by the new guard. Congratulations on the new blades.

-n.

Thank you, I'm also very satisfied with the results of the customization. The switch was made by the shop in which I bought both swords, but not immediately, I had both swords for some time before I decided on this.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My first western sword         Reply with quote

Hi,

Was the bluing done by Albion? What is your impression of the Munich so far being your first Western?

Thanks

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
The Albion Munich (here with blued fittings and replica Charles the Bold coins in the pommel) just became my first western sword ever. I haven't been able to get really good photos yet, but here's a taste.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Brian,

Yes, Albion did a good job on the bluing.

Impressions as my first western sword? Having viewed and handled western arms & armor before, I more or less had accurate expectations, but I do enjoy having something "different" in my collection. Overall I am very happy with the Munich and anticipate keeping it a good while.

Some mundane observations coming from a nihonto-centric perspective: the balance and reach is tremendous and of course matches my 6'3" height better than most katana. The guard and pommel occasionally cause "translation errors" in handling, but nothing problematic. I prefer a typical tsuka's larger cross-section with silk wrap "diamonds," but the Munich is still comfortable and grippy enough. I suspect it would be better with gloves. I am much less paranoid about babying the blade simply because the attractive satin finish looks very forgiving.

So nothing of earth-shattering insight. As a last note I'll mention that I had the fittings blued partly because I was convinced that they would look great with a brown grip (to which end I am very satisfied), but also in large part because bare steel fittings seemed weird and "naked" to me after being used to Japanese kodogu (nearly all of which are in some way patinated). So in a way it was me trying to make the Munich a bit more Japanese! Razz

PS - two more images from the same series. You can see part of one side of the Charles the Bold coins (from By The Sword) I placed in the pommel recesses, as well as a slightly-distorted full sword view.

Attachment: 102.11 KB
2009-02-03 Albion Munich 314.jpg

Attachment: 120.32 KB
2009-02-03-Albion-Munich-327.jpg

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My 'antiqued' Albion Kingmaker

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel and Brian, congrats on two very lovely swords!
Dan
L.S. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An Arms & Armor custom.

I have to say I am really happy with this one.

A big thanks to everyone at A&A.

Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like seeing new A&A custom stuff. They've done so much of it that we don't get to see, so it's always a nice surprise for those of us hungry to see new stuff.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian, that's an absolutely beautiful look on your Kingmaker. It immediately became my favorite look for that model.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Nathan. I love to see A&A custom pieces.

I noticed that they used the Durer guard. That is a great way to keep the cost down on a custom project. Is the blade from the Durer also or is it completely custom for the piece?

My favorite aspect of the piece is the rain chape. I have a feeling that this was a fairly common feature on historical swords, yet it is so uncommon in the reproduction market. It is a very nice touch.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Brian, that's an absolutely beautiful look on your Kingmaker. It immediately became my favorite look for that model.

Thank you Patrick. I've had mixed emotions about it since arrival. It's such a unique look that it looks like a different sword than the pictures you see on Albion's website, it makes me want to have two versions of the sword now. As much as I like this version, I'm also wanting something all shiny & new in appearance.

What this one needs is a complimentary scabbard of the same appearance to complete the artistic vision. I'll feel better about it then. Cool

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
L.S. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
I have to agree with Nathan. I love to see A&A custom pieces.

I noticed that they used the Durer guard. That is a great way to keep the cost down on a custom project. Is the blade from the Durer also or is it completely custom for the piece?

My favorite aspect of the piece is the rain chape. I have a feeling that this was a fairly common feature on historical swords, yet it is so uncommon in the reproduction market. It is a very nice touch.

Jason you have a good eye. The Durer is the basis of the sword-- both the blade and the guard, and to this I added the scent stopper pommel of the #205 Spada da Zogho, and finally the rain chape.

Costs were indeed kept low, which was essential for me. But I also really like the simplicity of the finished work. Just some really nice lines on a very usable weapon.

Anyone with a few straightforward, easily executable, ideas like that in mind who can't justify US$4-6k for a European smith would do well to give A&A a call.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian,
Congratulations on a great looking sword. I cannot wait to see what you come up with for the scabbard.

L.S. Lawrence,
A&A's custom work is often overlooked and reasonably priced to boot. Thruth be known I kind of like it that way! Congratulatons on a great sword as well.

Scott
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian,

I have a Kingmaker, it was my very first sword last year. Your finish looks amazing... It has a lot more character and looks stunning. I have the oxblood grip and wouldn't mind having a similar process done. I also have tons of antique coins from outfit4events (where by the sword gets them from) which could be used to put in the pommel recess... Is this something you did yourself?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 26 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: