Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My Kit         Reply with quote

Michael Tyderek wrote:
I'd like to thank Allan, of The Mercenary's Tailor for this harness.
I'm very sure I'll be placing an order for articualted greaves and mitten gauntlets after Pennsic.

The Helm, I'm still waiting on from another armourer. *bashful* sorry Allan.

The arming coat is from Historic Enterprises.
Joined hose, Revival Clothing
SCA Combat Crossbow, Brun Canutesen

Either you're the perfect model or that foundation garmet makes a world of difference when it comes to fit because that looks like its probably the best fitting of any Merc Tailor kit that I've seen posted.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
My best "Captain Morgan" at the Silverleaf Renn Faire...

Oh yes, I'll take a great helm with crest any day. Looks great!

Thanks. I've noticed that you have some awesome gear too. This has been a fun and popular thread for everyone.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Michael Tyderek

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My Kit         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Either you're the perfect model or that foundation garmet makes a world of difference when it comes to fit because that looks like its probably the best fitting of any Merc Tailor kit that I've seen posted.

Foundation Garment... *snicker* *blushes* Thanks for the HPC
Historic Enterprises made the arming coat. Jennie, my wife and seamstress, took the measurements and we shipped them off to HE for the arming coat.
Then once the arming coat arrived and I was tied into it, we took measurements again and shipped them off to Allan for the harness. So everything is fitting just fine.

Until I lose more weight.
So it's a good and bad thing, losing weight.
I've one issue with the harness, post Pennsic. And that would be the inability to put on my collar by myself. But more importantly, is the inability to take it off by myself.

Last edited by Michael Tyderek on Thu 20 Aug, 2009 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
And that would be the inability to put on my collar by myself. But more importantly, is the inability to take it off by myself.

A testimony to the utilitarian value of squires.
Michael Tyderek

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Quote:
And that would be the inability to put on my collar by myself. But more importantly, is the inability to take it off by myself.

A testimony to the utilitarian value of squires.

Got that right.
Guess I've the rest of forever to work towards that white belt...
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hello, awsome kits everyone! i am not able to post any of mine for the while (lousy computer) Mad but im trying to but together a 13th cent. kit, possibly crusader. could anyone point me to a nice, ($200 or less) great helm? (if possible, one with that cross decoration thing.(like on ed totons) i need it to be functional (of course). Wink btw, i might be goin for a templar thing. is that blood red standard cross accurate for their order symbol? thanks for your help people! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bet you'd get a better response with a new thread Nathan Quarantillo, please don't take this as being rude but you'd attract more people who know about these things in your own thread. I hope you get the anwsers you are looking for! Big Grin
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes, true. sorry, didnt mean to accidentally possibly derail the thread. i figured the size and the "fun" aspect of this thread would make it a good spot to post that. my bad, noob move. srry. (although i did get answers, so yay!) Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where my kit is at, at the moment. A little more to be done yet. But at least it isn't stupidly shiney Big Grin

Edit: Yeah! 500th post in this thread! Woo! Razz

Attachment: 101.62 KB
AaPhotoO'MyCurrentKit.jpg
Getting closer...

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These pics and more, will be in another thread made as a tribute to Allan Senefelder at the Merc Tailor, though as an update to this thread; here is my new harness and arms by the Merc Tailor (All plate worn is made by Allan) Thank you all on this forum, it was from a thread long ago I was encouraged to get the Harness before the helm, and I sure am glad I went that route. And many thanks to Allan!

P.S. just noted, some tweaks I need to make to the voiders on the leggings. I am always making little adjustments to my kit. And I know, I know, I need to buy some historical shoes/boots. As a side note, what would be your thought If I simply put maile over my boots? Historicaly innacurate or plausable with the kit?

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Save until you have $100 bucks and get something more or less right from any of a number of vendors and I think you will be happier in the long run. Mail over the modern boots is apt to look a bit clumsy in my opinion.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An updated photo of my early 14th kit, with my new custom banner from Dirk & Arrow

(clicky)

Note: Yes, I'm aware of the fact that the ankh or "crux ansata" is not really a period heraldic device, however it was borrowed by early christians before the use of the modern cross, and was used well into the medieval period as well. It's a consciously done fudging. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well... I've been watching this thread since forever ago (or at least 2008 Happy ), admiring everyone else's kit. Always been skittish about posting, since I don't actually have a harness--that concept is a bit anachronistic to my period of interest, I think. But even so, I'm still woefully lacking in war gear: no spear! No helm! A sword, but no scabbard! I'd make a terrible Viking, but might have some success as a trader? But I have had quite a bit of fun collecting soft kit, which really isn't any cheaper than the pointy stuff.

Anyway, I was bored the other day, and on a whim took some photos. I'm terribly unphotogenic, but I want to join this thread anyway. A couple photos actually turned out decent, so here's my kit, plus one rogue stalk of grass. But no harness Happy

And if that doesn't scare you off, a couple of other decent photos can be seen here and here.

Sorry for breaking the theme! Blush

Last edited by Justin B. on Fri 04 Sep, 2009 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the previous post has my full suit and with all that steel you cannot see the under lying attire. I have added a type of code piece of maille to my kit. Also here is the first layer of my kit. The maille is hand made by I (nothing historically accurate. 12gauge Stainless Steel, 3/8 I.D., Hand wound and hand saw cut every ring, butted) The Arming jacket and leggings are hand sew'n by I. The Arms were machine sew'n.

With the jacket that I have, It fits to a "T" and hugs my hips wonderfully. The weight of the entire kit is evenly distributed throught my body. And that makes a world of difference from my first arming vest, of which all the weight pulled on the shoulders. Plus, no need of a belt to suspend anything. I had tried a belt at one time to suspend the leggings, and the belt dug into my hips and left me with a red marks for a week. I cannot stress enough of the importance of a properly fitted arming vest/jacket.

(P.S. pictures taken at work with the timer on the camera)

Zac Evans

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So I have bided my time, and although my harness is now far from complete I can't help but show my new leg armour:

They are spring steel made by st george armouries in England (where I live). Based on the avant armour, they have slightly smaller wings at my request. They form the first part of my italian export jousting harness. My arming doublet is in the planning stage and when it is stitched I shall commission a cuirass to go with this harness.

Enough chat:

Attachment: 37.44 KB
riding legs.jpg

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac, that is gorgeous armour you have there! superb on the spring steel. Just notmy personal taste, too shiny.

It looks as though you have a great fit. I was wondering did you request the color red for straps? Good look, I bet your nearly drooling over your next purchase. I know my breast and backplate was the dream come true for me.

And also, I was wondering where you bought those shoes. They look like a great addition I may need to make. Thanks for the help.

Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Decided to post my kit here too. It is not historically very accurate, but it does protect pretty well and that is just what it was made for: full contact combat with steel blunts. The whole armor was made by myself. I am constantly working on improving this kit aiming for less weight but same or better protection and better historical accuraqcy. Currently I am working on a pig face visor for my bascinet.

Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My current incarnation of the Vendel period warrior in action.

Attachment: 62.06 KB
karotajs.jpg

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis, is the human knee SUPPOSED to bend that way? heheheh
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
Artis, is the human knee SUPPOSED to bend that way? heheheh

Hell if I know, but that worked Happy To be honest, I think it is just the angle of the picture makes it look that painfull, it was taken during the recent event on Pukkisaari, Helsinki (Finland) and in the middle of the fight.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 25 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: