Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really shouldn't visit this threas I always end up feeling jealous and resentfull about my own swords
thats a sweet sword you got yourself Morgan especially the designs on the balde
Lucas LaVoy

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dunno about that... I think that's what motivation is supposed to feel like! Also Jeremy that is a fantastic design on your tribute katana; especially the damascus tsuba. Very cool idea.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darksword Armoury Black Knight

One of the sturdiest cutters I have owned and one of the nicest Darksword Armoury swords I have ever seen. I am very pleased with it.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:

One of the sturdiest cutters I have owned and one of the nicest Darksword Armoury swords I have ever seen. I am very pleased with it.

Hey JE, Nice looking sword, Whats the balance and weight like on it?

Ive got a Viking sword from Dark Armoury, the Wooden handle museum one... and its the most off balance sword Ive ever handled. It looks nice and is very strong but the weight and balance really spoil it.

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lucas LaVoy wrote:
I dunno about that... I think that's what motivation is supposed to feel like!

well thats true the swords I've seen here have me really motivated to save up for an albion gallowglass sword

nice looking sword JE I'd be interested in hearing the answer to Tony's question too I've heard from others about Dark Armoury's swords having balance issues Tony is the latest I've heard to speak on the issue
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tony Peterson wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:

Ive got a Viking sword from Dark Armoury, the Wooden handle museum one... and its the most off balance sword Ive ever handled. It looks nice and is very strong but the weight and balance really spoil it.

Would it be an earlier one? I've owned a German two handed sword from them a few years back and really didn't like it very much. It seems now though that they've made leaps and bounds and I may have to pick up a sword or two after christmas from them. I can tell you just from looking at them the finish work has vastly improved over just the span of about four years.

Winter is coming
Tony Peterson

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Tony Peterson wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:

Would it be an earlier one? I've owned a German two handed sword from them a few years back and really didn't like it very much. It seems now though that they've made leaps and bounds and I may have to pick up a sword or two after christmas from them. I can tell you just from looking at them the finish work has vastly improved over just the span of about four years.

I got the sword just under a year ago, It is very very strong but heavy and very unbalanced. I was pretty disappointed with it and its put me off from using them again. There are so many other sword makers out there at same price that make decent well balanced swords. Ive read issues on weight and balance on many websites, that seems to be the main issue. I might in the future make a project out of it and thin down the blade and try and improve balance as I am impressed with the toughness of the blade. Will post details if I decide to do this.

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: DSA Black Knight         Reply with quote

This is the first Darksword I have owned. I have handled alot of them and was not overly impressed with them until about a year or so ago. They seem to have really improved on their products, listening to customer complaints and making them better.

I love this sword. Now, its too heavy and not long enough to be indicative of other Type XVIs. But, given these inconsistancies and the low price, this sword is built like a brick outhouse. It's an excellent cutter and puts brands like Windlass and Hanwei to shame (both of which I own). The balance is good (not excellent), given the weight and the fit is much tighter than a pre-2007 Darksword. The grip is a far cry above the grips of like priced models, offering a firm, secure surface for your hand.

Now, historical accuracy is out the window. This sword is based on a Type XVI in Copenhagen; the same sword that Albion based their Prince model on. Based in DSA-speak means, make the grip, guard, and pommel look similar - but the blade is so far off spec, its hilarious; with its single fuller, short length, and blued finish, it does not remotely resemble the antiquity. It does have a pleasing asthetic though in its own way - being unique as one could get without paying alot more coin.

This sword is a beater - not an expensive historical recreation. In my opinion, you will not find a better product for under $300 out there. It is what it is, a good sword for the money that is built to be used and abused, while looking good doing it. If you want to drop $$$ on a perfectly balanced, turned, and proportioned Albion or A&A to cut milk jugs, saplings, and waterbottles with in the yard, rock on. But if you want a good sword for the price, this is your ticket.

I am posting the review I did of this sword on SBG with more photos this evening here...

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Sun 16 Nov, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Based on your description JE I thhink I'd be happier with my Hanwei swords my Godfred and Celic short sword are both light and ballenced and are able to bite into wood without suffering any damage to the blade mind you though I bought both of them brand new this year and it's been reported that hanwei made made major improvements to their designs in recent years
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Ritter and Urbino         Reply with quote

I seem to be in one of those periods where a number of items that have been ordered over a fairly wide space of time are all arriving within a few days of each other. These two swords were ordered about 6 months apart and arrived within 5 days of each other.
The sword with the brown grip is an Albion Ritter. I may have had a number of issues with Albion over the last couple of years but I was moved to buy this sword before the recent price rises and it is almost certainly the most beautiful Albion that I've ever held, and there have been a few. The hilt in particular is superb.
The other sword is a type XV from A&A, which is essentially their Duke of Urbino sword with a slight modification to the cross guard, (the down turned ends), to try and make it a little more like the original sword in Records. This one is beautifully balanced and very fast.

Cheers,
Darrin.

ps, Tony. I like the pommel on the Binns. Is your other Binns a sharp, or another blunt?

Attachment: 74.88 KB
Ritter&Urbino II.JPG

Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And a closer shot of the the two hilts. Apologies for the bad lighting but it's just too wet to get outside and take some decent pictures.

Attachment: 76.79 KB
R&U Hilts.JPG

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Darrin,

Those look great- especially the Ritter. I wish I would have picked up one of those before the price increases but alas,

Jeremy
Stefan G.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi! I´m new to the forum. Recieved my first sword today, Albions mainz pattern gladius Allectus.

Attachment: 7.68 KB
gladius.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff Kauffeldt

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've meant to post this sooner and now I've gotten to it. Last spring I picked up this Munich here in the market place. I was surprised at how thick the blade i, almost half an inch. It's more a long spike with a handle then a sword in the traditional sense. It's would be great for taking on someone in plate armour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32500316@N08/3030808982/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32500316@N08/3030809786/
Tony Peterson

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ritter and Urbino         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:

ps, Tony. I like the pommel on the Binns. Is your other Binns a sharp, or another blunt?

Hey Darrin,

The other is a project im working on. It looks like it was a blunt that has been sharpened. The sharpening is very uneven and looks as if a knife sharpener was used. My plan is to see if I can grind back the blade and to reblunt it. I will loose a few mm but Im hoping I can save it. Will post pics once Ive worked on it. I puchased it from a fellow myArmoury member, I've attached one of the initial pics he sent me. As with Paul's swords its nicely balanced and I like the grip design, I just need to re blunt it... I hope it works! Eek!

Attachment: 40.42 KB
[ Download ]

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an older model Del Tin 5140, made in the early 1990s when they were still using Krupps. Picked it up today. I must say, I am quite impressed. I went ahead and added patina to the pommel and cross guard. I'll be sending it off later in the week for a scabbard/belt commission and grip rewrap. Happy

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmm..... Now what could this be?

If I open it I should be able to find out. Now what do I have here?

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On its way from the UK, a British Pattern 1827 Rifle Officer's Sword by Wilkinson, and identified as belonging to an officer of the 60th (Kings Royal Rifle Corps).

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 14 Dec, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darn you guys!!

So many of these look great!! Here I am on the 3 year or maybe 2 and a half by now Barta wait list and can't justify a purchase!

Begrudgingly, thanks for sharing!! Evil Wink

Jeremy
Christer A Andersen

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword is the Cold Steel "Gim" sword. I decided for this sword after the review it got on SBG:)

Pics are taken by Paul Southren from SBG.

Christer[/img]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 24 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: