Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Mick Czerep

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Luka!
This looks like monster of a sword! What are the stats?

Sordes ocurrit
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it is quite a monster, but I'm also quite small (162) and have very small hands. The sword is 98cm long (84 blade plus 14 hilt), grip only is 10cm long and Del Tin says that it's 1.45kg, I can't weigh it precisely, but Del Tin is accurate in most cases with the stats. Blade is 5.2cm wide above the crosssguard and tapers to 2.6cm 5cm before the tip. I can't measure the thickness. The point of balance is about 16 or 17cm above the hilt and that makes the sword very point heavy but it's ok as it is a cavalry weapon primarily. I wanted a powerful sword of a Crusader period knight and it is the right thing for that. I'm very satisfied with it for the money given, although I would of course buy an Albion Templar or Hospitaller for that role in my small collection if I could afford them. Wink
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had my 16th birthday on the 14th of September, and my parents, knowing that I loved swords, bought me the Windlass American Revolution Sabre. After a little bit of work on the grip and some sharpening, I was chopping dastardly milk bottles and assorted pieces of fruit in half, ending their reign of terror. I'm quite pleased with that blade.
Nathan.
Li Jin

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: My latest sword         Reply with quote

I bought a Russian Shasqua a couple weeks ago. Made by Windlass.

Attachment: 92.8 KB
[ Download ]
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A British Pattern 1897 infantry officer's sword by Hobson & Sons, ID'd to Lt.-Col. E.G.S. Trotter, who served the majority of his career in the Indian Army. He was stationed in various locations including India and Aden.

Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two recent acquisitions - my Thegn arrived last month from Albion, and a 1st gen Albion Pompeii that arrived today, from a fellow forumite.

Very happy, with both of them!

-Stephanie

Attachment: 86.69 KB
2albions.jpg

J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My A&A Durer with blued hilt components and peened construction arrived Tuesday. No pics just yet but shes a beaut! lol
"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Grubbs wrote:
My A&A Durer with blued hilt components and peened construction arrived Tuesday. No pics just yet but shes a beaut! lol

That sword (and the vast majority of A&A's stuff) is normally peened, so I'm guessing you mean a wedged assembly and hot-peen like Albion uses. Is that right?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
J.G. Grubbs wrote:

That sword (and the vast majority of A&A's stuff) is normally peened, so I'm guessing you mean a wedged assembly and hot-peen like Albion uses. Is that right?

Hi Chad,

I assume so. I ordered it peened without any threading of any kind. If Craig sees this, maybe he will add some detail...

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Grubbs wrote:
Hi Chad,

I assume so. I ordered it peened without any threading of any kind. If Craig sees this, maybe he will add some detail...

For many of their swords, A&A uses a threaded rivet block (nut) to help in the tightness of the assembly. They still peen the remaining amount that sticks out over the rivet block.

So their stuff is typically peened.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they will consider other assemblies if asked and if the request is reasonable. I've had some discussion in this direction with them myself since the threading, which on many of my purchases over the years was just a little bit noticeable, drives me nuts for some reason. Admittedly the fact that it even matters to me probably represents some kind of neurosis.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Li Jin

PostPosted: Sat 04 Oct, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yesterday I just got my Hanwei Bone handled Rapier. And Windlass 1840 NCO sword without picture.

Attachment: 133.28 KB
[ Download ]
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For many years I have wanted to get one of those, and last month I finaly got it...my first Albion, the well known Crecy.
This certainly is a serious upgrade from the towton sword from windlass I used to have (the first sword I ever purchased). Can't move away from type XVI it seems Happy Feel rather silly swinging around such a blade with little or no knowledge of genuine medieval sword play though...so this might be the purchase that will have me join some European martial arts class at last.

Cheers,

J

Attachment: 25.87 KB
IMG_0473 (Small).jpg

Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to see this early ATrim 1429 Nathan put up for sale recently. I knew it would make an excellent "project sword" so I bought it immediately. I had plans to make it a bit more "14th century" looking and had what I feel to be more appropriate hilt furniture on hand.

Initially, I rust blued the guard and pommel, letting the rust build up to a "pile", then removed it with a lot of scrubbing. And I changed out the grip. This was the initial result:

But I decided the grip was not quite comfortable and didn't add much in the way of distinctiveness. So I stripped it down and did a new cord-over-leather wrap, selecting cranberry for the color. And added a little bit of distressing to the color to try to match up with the aged hilt furniture. Here is the result:

Also, the blade needed a little touching up as far as symmetry and it especially needed the "early style blunt fuller terminations" smoothed out. This shows the blade after rework:

And the smoothed out fuller tip:

I'm very happy with the result. Thanks Nathan, for offering up this little beauty at such a bargain price. Big Grin

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Grubbs wrote:

I'd love to see what that looks like blued! Also, check your PM messages. Big Grin

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A French mle1854 dragoon sword roughly 45 inches overall with a 38 inch blade. A model born exactly a century before me. I have admired this pattern for some time and in selling a sword purchased earlier this year was able to adopt this one at a local arms show.

Cheers

GC
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got a Windlass Celtic sword

Last edited by Darren Tully on Thu 23 Oct, 2008 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just received a new Angus Trim sword today -- the Archangel Falchion. It's not blade-heavy at all, feeling very nicely balanced and light.

-Stephanie

Attachment: 64.33 KB
archangel_falchion.jpg

Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An Albion Squire....................................

Winter is coming
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword was a good old Binns... My next will be an ARMA sword and then following that another Binns.

Pics to follow...

Gotta love the Binns! Big Grin

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 21 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: