Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thoughts on Generation 2 swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
As an FYI, I wasn't disputing the fact that many historical swords weighed well over 3 1/2 pounds (one of my favorite swords is the A&A German Bastard sword, for instance). I was sort of pointing out that a hand and a half sword at almost four pounds would be considered on the heavy end of the scale.

I just worry when ranges are quoted as if they were written in stone (I'm not saying you did this, Bill, I'm just making a general statement), since there will always be variations. I definitely agree that these would be on the heavy end of the scale. I just want to make sure others out there realize that these heavier swords do exist. Happy

Of course, if the Generation 2 Ranger sword were meant more as a short-bladed two-handed sword (odd, but it's a fantast sword, so why not?), then maybe the weight isn't such an issue. I think you will agree that two-handed swords can be even heavier.

Chad Arnow wrote:

The final product looks similar to the drawing. The biggest difference is in the elegance and shaping of the guard. The original sword and the drawing look much for refined than the replica.

The replica looks "chunky" as compared to the period sword. Everything about the hilt; cross, pommel, and grip, look "fatter" than the period example. The cross also looks like it has less graceful curves than the period sword. It sort of looks like a "beefed up" version, if that makes sense.

This isn't meant to be a criticism, it's better looking than some other replicas I've seen in that price range, it's just my observations regarding form.

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
I just worry when ranges are quoted as if they were written in stone (I'm not saying you did this, Bill, I'm just making a general statement), since there will always be variations. I definitely agree that these would be on the heavy end of the scale. I just want to make sure others out there realize that these heavier swords do exist. Happy

Oh, I totally understand and agree with you. It's a pet peeve of mine when people cite that type of thing as absolute, unwavering fact as well (whether it's weights or otherwise), and always appreciate when people point out that there's more to the story than the normally accepted facts. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Re: the Manning Imperial Dordogne sword -

To make a good replica or recreation of an original, you need more than an outline drawing. You need to see that sword in person, hold it in your white-gloved hands, take extensive measurements, photograph it from all angles, make some drawings. The Manning Dordogne has a fuzzy look to it, as if it were a copy of a copy of a copy. As if when it was finally made in the Philippines, there wasn't an absolutely clear idea about the design or the original sword. This is especially apparant when you look at the type 11 guard and the pommel.

I know it is very unfair to compare this sword to the much more expensive Albion Castellan shown below, but that is the kind of design that you get when you do all the research and then really decide to go for it.

Edited to say - I mistakenly called it the Manning Imperial, but really meant to say Imperial Weapons Generation 2 Dordogne Sword (as Chad points out below) Apologies to Australia.

Attachment: 45.35 KB
casttopb.jpg
Albion Castellan

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Sat 27 Jan, 2007 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

No one is talking about the Australian-based custom shop Manning Imperial. Happy This thread is about Imperial Weapons Generation 2 line. It's a big distinction.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding the Ranger: that weight would be at the upper end of historical norms for its size and shapes. Is it unreasonable? Not necessarily, but it is on the heavy end for sure.

I think the very thick guard contributes to the weight:

From what I've seen of Generation II swords (not a whole lot admittedly), the guards are can be too thick.

Happy

ChadA

Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The final product looks similar to the drawing. The biggest difference is in the elegance and shaping of the guard. The original sword and the drawing look much for refined than the replica.

One of the Castilion find swords:

The proportions of the pommel look different, too.

Are some of these compromises due to cost concerns? Perhaps. I have no idea.

But if you read what Hank had to say about this sword. I have included it here:

Note: Clarification from Hank - Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion regarding "this Dordogne sword". I may have caused an increase in the confusion. I failed to look at the pommel, and concentrated only on the guard. As you know, there were a number of swords that were found in the Dordogne River, and needless to say, they were not all found at the same time.

Ewart made many drawings and sketches over the years of swords that he examined, and during that time he sent me this drawing, and this is a drawing from an actual piece he was examining. I do not think that this sword was actually photographed or sketched by him for his book "Records of the Medieval Sword". Certainly, and I know for a fact, the book does not contain all of the swords that Ewart examined, handled, and or owned over all of the years.

There are many swords that are similar to this one and that should not be a surprise to anyone, but if one looks carefully at Ewart's drawing you can easily see how closely the manufacturing of this sword followed his drawing. I do remember in the initial discussion of this sword with Ewart, he was very adamant that the weight should be close to three pounds, which is what I tried to adhere to, and I am very happy that the new completed sword is right on in both weight and the dimensions of the sword that Ewart examined and made the drawing of in April of 1990.
I hope this clears the matter up.
Best, Hank

Note here: Second paragraph. "Ewart made many drawings and sketches over the years of swords that he examined, and during that time he sent me this drawing, and this is a drawing from an actual piece he was examining. I do not think that this sword was actually photographed or sketched by him for his book "Records of the Medieval Sword". Certainly, and I know for a fact, the book does not contain all of the swords that Ewart examined, handled, and or owned over all of the years."

This is from an actual sword he (Ewart) examined. Not the one from the photograph of the an original that was also found in the Dordogne. There were several others found that were not photographed but were examined. This is one and it was one Ewart sketched.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

No one is talking about the Australian-based custom shop Manning Imperial. Happy This thread is about Imperial Weapons Generation 2 line. It's a big distinction.

Sorry, bad mistake on my part - Sad I meant to refer to Imperial Weapons Gen 2 line, but my brain went out for breakfast and left me behind.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly, I had never really payed much attention to the various Ranger incarnations from Generation 2 that now go back some years. There was even discussion of this same basic design when it was in the prototype stage. In visiting the site today, I see the new one listed at 3.75 pounds. IIRC, the first designs of this were coming in closer to six pounds (SFI threads, possibly old board)

Niche and handling aside, let's look at overall length for a minute. Visually, it is a fairly broad blade. This isn't a school of German longsword profile. It seems senseless to call it a hand and a half with those handle dimensions. However, owning an A&A GBS, I ask myself; Where does one really want to draw lines?

The Albion Chieftan is projected to be very much the same overall length and ballparked close to four pounds(3lbs 15ozs). It does list a longer blade, certainly is pointless to compare many other factors but is another wide-body of the same big profile. Again, handling aside, very close in overall length and weight.

~~~~~~

I do agree the Generation 2 fittings have a tendency to look bulkier than historical counterparts. It is not hard to see that several hilts look almost more like someone traced around the fittings of a similar swords and mailed/faxed off a sketch/drawing. It has been through feedback that some things seem to be slowly changing.

As the Oakeshott drawing seems to be no more than a sketch, not a detailed blueprint, it probably does lose yet a little more in shop translation. IIRC the counterpart to this thread elsewhere went very much the same way but other examples of this hilt type were brought forth that aren't as svelt as the Castillion most here are wont to compare. Will Hank, Clyde and the forge modify things over time? I don't know. For this model, I have a feeling they will more likely stick to their philosophy of "that's what the drawing shows".

At the price point, these could become good competition for other offerings. It still seems to be a growing process. Another I noticed on the IMperial site is a version of a XIIth century sword, quite like the A&A standard. It seems an effort to offer lower cost versions of some popular designs.

I may take a field trip over to one of the retailers of these (Silvermane). It is more than just across town but not a state away. I'll more likely try to catch them at a festival that is quite local.

Cheers

GC
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde,
I'm not debating the accuracy of the drawing. The drawing looks pretty close to historic examples I've seen from that find. However, the replica doesn't fully capture the lines and proportions of the drawing or the originals in my opinion. The guard is different. The pommel looks different, too, though not as much as the guard.

Happy

ChadA

Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Clyde,
I'm not debating the accuracy of the drawing. The drawing looks pretty close to historic examples I've seen from that find. However, the replica doesn't fully capture the lines and proportions of the drawing or the originals in my opinion. The guard is different. The pommel looks different, too, though not as much as the guard.

Yes Chad I see what you are saying in the picture you provided. But neither I nor you, not even Hank has seen this sword that Ewart made this drawing from. If the drawing is correct and he made an accurate drawing of this sword that was not pictured in any book, then we have done an accurate replica of the sword for the information we have been provided.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess it depends on how accurate you want to be. If you wanted a replica or recreation of high accuracy, perhaps you should have chosen an original about which you had much more data, not just an outline. If you wanted to make a generic 15th century type XV, then maybe what you had was good for that purpose.
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Let me give some input regarding the drawing versus the replica of the Generation 2 Dordogne Sword from an artist's perspective. I have actually drawn swords, just from photos in various Oakeshott books, but I have put "pen to paper", as it were, to create drawings of swords. If I were to go in reverse, from the replica to the drawing, I would not draw the cross the same way that it's portrayed in the Oakeshott drawing. Being someone who is very concerned with lines and form, I notice right away that the lines on the Oakeshott drawing show more curvature, especially on the underside of the cross, than the replica. The underside of the cross on the replica is almost a straight line that cuts down at an angle, instead of a curve. Also, the transition from the straight part of the cross arms to the knobbed ends appears more abrupt in the replica. In the drawing, the transition looks much more "fluid", showing more gentle curvature. I also suspect, assuming that the little circle in the drawing represent a cross-sectional view of the cross, that the original display a more rounded cross-section than the replica. The replica cross appears to have a square or rectangular cross-section for most of it's width. I would draw the cross-section of the cross on the replica as a square or rectangle, not a circle.

The pommel on the replica is similar; it looks much more like the pommel in the drawing. The pommel near the grip on the replica may be slightly wider than in the drawing, but it's hard to say. The lines on the pommel of the replica do look roughly like the lines of the pommel in the drawing.

Again, this is not meant to be a criticism, just an observation. The replica looks roughly like the drawing, but it's not an exact match, at least not to my "artists's eyes". I hope it spells out how some may be perceiving how the replica differs from the drawing. Sometimes little details become big issues, especially when expectations run high.

However, I also encourage Clyde to continue doing what he is doing. I hope he takes comments made here as constructive criticism, and may utilize them to help his product line grow and evolve. I personally believe there is a niche for more budget-minded swords. The Dordogne certainly looks nicer than some swords in that price range. It's not terrible looking.

I also wonder, can we say for sure that no historic medieval sword of the same type had a "chunkier" cross than the one in the photo Chad posted, or in Oakeshott's drawing? I realize that they usually had elegant lines, but there was variation historically.

I hope this all made sense!

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:
Yes Chad I see what you are saying in the picture you provided. But neither I nor you, not even Hank has seen this sword that Ewart made this drawing from. If the drawing is correct and he made an accurate drawing of this sword that was not pictured in any book, then we have done an accurate replica of the sword for the information we have been provided.

Clyde,
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying the replica is not a very accurate version of the drawing. It has similarities, but falls short in echoing all the lines of the drawing. What the drawing is of is immaterial. The drawing looks like a drawing of an historical sword. I have no issue with the drawing.

The replica (based on that drawing) misses some elements of the drawing. If it were said to be "inspired by" the original sword instead of being called a close replica, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If the replica were closer to the drawing, I would like it more.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
I also wonder, can we say for sure that no historic medieval sword of the same type had a "chunkier" cross than the one in the photo Chad posted, or in Oakeshott's drawing? I realize that they usually had elegant lines, but there was variation historically.

We can't really say that *no* historic sword had a guard like that, but we can say the drawing, and the sword it's based off of, don't. If this sword were meant as an amalgamation of historical features or if it was labeled as "inspired by" historical swords, this would be a different discussion. But since it's billed as a historical recreation of the sword in the drawing, this line of discussion is going.

Happy

ChadA

Richard Fay

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
We can't really say that *no* historic sword had a guard like that, but we can say the drawing, and the sword it's based off of, don't. If this sword were meant as an amalgamation of historical features or if it was labeled as "inspired by" historical swords, this would be a different discussion. But since it's billed as a historical recreation of the sword in the drawing, this line of discussion is going.

Hi Chad! Happy

I know it's not like the drawing, I even tried to explain how it differs in my previous post. The lines and curvature of the cross in the replica do not match those in the drawing. Since I am something of an artist, I definitely look at the finer details of line and form. The replica and the drawing don't compare to each other in the finer details.

However, I wonder if some of this criticism is because of raised expectations. Ten or fifteen years ago, that would probably have been seen as a really nice sword. Now it has the stigma of being compared to the "big guys", which may not be a fair comparison. Wink

Perhaps Clyde should change how he advertises that sword, but it's ultimately up to him how he presents his goods to the general public. If he feels it's close to the drawing, then it is his prerogative to claim it's a historical recreation. It's also our prerogative to disagree with that assertion. Wink

I worry that we sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. I think it's all relative; relative to cost, relative to market, relative to capabilities, and relative to perceptions.

I hope I'm not waxing too philosophical again!

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For fun, here are 15 of the 17 Dordogne swords, from an article by Oakeshott, discussed in this thread (the remaining two are quite different, though one has the same guard as some others). Two of these fifteen are of this form. One is the oft-published one, pictured above. The other one may be the "other one" being discussed here, unless the article doesn't include them all.

Below are scans of the two hilts:

Attachment: 20.71 KB
Dordogne 1.jpg

Attachment: 22.73 KB
Dordogne 2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to hear more about the training sword.

Like for instance, how thik are the edges?

Has anbody handled it?

Could a shallow fuller trim some wieght without negative consequences?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tim M.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone liked the new Gen2 Pro Sword Line Norman Medieval Sword?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Clyde,
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying the replica is not a very accurate version of the drawing. It has similarities, but falls short in echoing all the lines of the drawing. What the drawing is of is immaterial. The drawing looks like a drawing of an historical sword. I have no issue with the drawing.

The replica (based on that drawing) misses some elements of the drawing. If it were said to be "inspired by" the original sword instead of being called a close replica, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If the replica were closer to the drawing, I would like it more.

Yes! I wish I had the skills to lay the lines from the drawing over a photo of the Dordogne, but sice I don't, here is a side by side.
(SFI deja vu.)

Attachment: 60.79 KB
Dordogne3.JPG

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:

Yes! I wish I had the skills to lay the lines from the drawing over a photo of the Dordogne, but sice I don't, here is a side by side.
(SFI deja vu.)

I had the same thought yesterday in comparing the images. I also lack knowledge of how to do it. But I also did a side-by-side. It uses a different shot of the Gen 2.

Attachment: 35.67 KB
Dordogne Hilts.JPG

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thoughts on Generation 2 swords?
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: