Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Awaiting Arrival of the Danish War Axe by A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Axe grips and lengths         Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, Gavin. Big thanks for taking the time, from me at least. Give ol' Noah a tip of the hat, as well.

Your grip is the same as the one I'm using--with the same slips, etc, I'm guessing-- with respect to the clearer axe emphasis. Reading back over the thread, I now notice the replies focusing on exact grip, where as I was really asking between this grip and and a slightly wider one more generally thought of as the purvue of staff weapons (a'la Silver's instructions)...I see that my own post was ill-defined as to what I was asking. My use is limited to a static pell in the backyard as something to better gauge distance and gain more familiarity with the Dane axe. Gavin, have you tried the tight diagonal blows with a change of lead hand (striking down, right to left--left hand moves to fore, striking down, left to right) sometimes suggested? I haven't in any serious fashion, and was curious. With only a few weeks of off-and-on play it strikes me as interesting in theory, but limited in application and effective realization.

My problem with lengthening the haft is simply that we begin to creep into all kinds of areas and questions. Nothing wrong with an extra five inches though, if you can still handle it effectively in whatever form is decided. I'm trying to maximize controllable reach with this grip myself, after all, and our builds are similar. In general use, there's still the question of a level of specialization in the use of the Dane axe, and the point at which we begin to ask more of the weapon than its actual role may have necessitated. Looking at the photos, It isn't hard to imagine the shortcomings of the Dane axe in one-on-one. It's all a bit frustrating without a few concrete ideas from which to form an outline of even generalized tactics, not to mention actual technique. Frankly, I'd settle for something vague like, "The Huscarls then broke from the wall singly and in pairs or groups and engaged their now wide-spaced, uphill charging foemen" or "And at the meeting of the shield wall they were held and their uphill wave checked, only to see the wall open up to disgorge the dreaded axe men in a devastating crash, followed on by the spearmen and the advance of the shield wall to again offer protection" or "And Skip, that dreaded long-axe wielder, then executed his favoured technique of.."

I suppose the qualifier is sustaining such descriptions over various text. I dunno. Anyone have any specific supposition regarding the Viking tales and their heroes using the two-handed axe in groups? I know next to nothing about them myself, but I'm curious. It's an obvious avenue of research into the development of Dane axe that I've, predictably, yet to adequately explore...though it is waiting. I still can't quite get a grip on specifics from the tales of axe use in one-on-one.

Now, what happened to Noah's shield, Gavin? And, where are your spear-mates? Wink

'More seriously, taking the time was above and beyond, Gavin. Thanks again,

Mike

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."

Last edited by Michael G. Myers on Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Danish War Axe Weapon Techniques         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
First let me apologize for getting the kind of wood wrong, I was tired from a long day at work, was thinking ash and wrote oak, it is an ASH haft!
I am a medieval weaponry novice, but again and hate to keep alluding to this as it makes me sound egotistical, but that is not it. Earning a black belt in martial arts I learned a lot about using things as weapons. All I have to do is look at the Danish War Axe and it is immediately obvious to me that in one of it's aspects this is a formiddable "hooking" weapon, wherein the head of the axe is beyond the opponent and pulled back into his flesh. You can pool cue stick the opponent with either end of this weapon. It can be revolved in figure 8s. In fact, you can strike the opponent backwards after a forward strike. Say you do an overhead strike and you miss, the axe head is now down at his feet, pull up on the weapon and you will either impale him on the top edge of the blade and or castrate him in this motion. You can pool cue stick it past his head either intentional or unintentional miss, pull back and you have hooked him by the back of the neck, from here you can slam him head first into the ground, now he is face down, heel stomp the lumbar spine, recoil the axe overhead and split his skull open.
Your imagination is the only limitation on how this weapon can be used. Actually, I like the length of the haft, too long and it is less effective in close range fighting, shorter and there are more limitations to the way this weapon can be used. Maybe 6 inches longer but no more than that, but I think 55" or 56" is optimum.
Instead of thinking of this weapon as an "axe" think of it as a fighting staff with a double pointed 11 inch blade!

Happy Collecting,

Bob

Hi, Bob.

For my part, I'm not saying that you can't draw in--trapping or slashing on the pull--with the axe, and slipping the haft is an obvious aid. My only point with reference to drawing in is that the axe isn't clearly designed with is in mind, it is only an ancillary capability defaulted by the general design of any axe. As example, you've over extended or your opponent has closed, you're hemmed in somewhat by the pack of the shield wall or general press of the fight and the trailing point then becomes your best use...or take Patrick's example in shieldwall. Fair enough, but this hardly seems indicative of the axe's actual design intent.

The staff and polearm usage, like figure eights of the sort you're describing or reversing the haft as a general option, is where we'll have to agree to disagree. If nothing else, I'll simply defer.

Yours,

Michael

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Long axes continued in use in Ireland throughout the 16th century but I'm not aware that they were widely used elsewhere. Short axes served alongside halberds and other polearms in Europe during at least the first half of the 16th century. These are common in Dürer's woodcuts (available from Dover and very useful to students of arms and armour). Perhaps continental soldiers discarded the long axe on the grounds that it was "neither here nor there"–too long for cutting blows at close-quarters and too short for effective thrusting. The short axe had the advantage at close-quarters, but why use that weapon when a halberd or pike, relatively short sword and dagger equipped an infantryman for most edged-weapon combat scenarios? (Can y'all tell that I'm currently immersed in Osprey's Landesknecht book? Big Grin )
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Long axes continued in use in Ireland throughout the 16th century but I'm not aware that they were widely used elsewhere. Short axes served alongside halberds and other polearms in Europe during at least the first half of the 16th century. These are common in Dürer's woodcuts (available from Dover and very useful to students of arms and armour). Perhaps continental soldiers discarded the long axe on the grounds that it was "neither here nor there"–too long for cutting blows at close-quarters and too short for effective thrusting. The short axe had the advantage at close-quarters, but why use that weapon when a halberd or pike, relatively short sword and dagger equipped an infantryman for most edged-weapon combat scenarios? (Can y'all tell that I'm currently immersed in Osprey's Landesknecht book? Big Grin )

Sean your post brings up a good point . In situations like this it's all too easy to fall into contemplating what is possible with a given weapon and thereby forget about what is probable. Just because this type of axe works well in the backyard in certain scenarios doesn't neccessarily mean it was used that way. Just because it can be used like a staff weapon doesn't neccessarily mean that it was. All too often our modern perceptions of an ancient weapon are colored by our modern ideas of how it might be utilized in our world, not in the world of a thousand years ago. If we are going to try to gain an understanding of how a weapon was used in the period we need to try to place ourselves in their shoes as best we can, so that we may have a better understanding of their needs.

My assumptions (and that's all they are since I don't know anymore about this weapon than anyone else does) are based on period artwork and the known tactics of the time. Period artwork such as the Bayeux Tapestry show axes with haft lengths greater than the A&A version. In nearly every instance where the axe is planted on the ground the head comes up to the users chin, or higher. This is what I'm basing my personal assumption of length on. This type of axe seems to fall out of use around the same time as shield wall tactics gave way to other forms of warfare. My assumption that this is somewhat of a specialized weapon best suited for a particular environment is partly based on this. Perhaps the later halberd, bill, etc. can be seen as evolutions of the older Dane axe? These will fill the same role as the axe in a close-packed formation, yet are more versatile in other circumstances?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...and Patrick's discussion reminds me of another point. The Gallowglass axe, with a maximum length of 6', seems to be a direct descendent of the early longaxe. But the interesting thing to note is that the Irish used it in a relatively disorganized manner, and were often beaten when confronting modern armies in the open. Compare their weapons and organization (or lack of it) to those of continental military organization after around 1500, which became the standard. The Europeans seem to have largely abandoned the longaxe as they adopted highly-structured classical infantry strategy. Maybe the longaxe is a dandy weapon in relativley disorganized combat but a liability in combat contexts in which maintaining a formation and acting in unison are most important.

By the way, Waldeman asserts that some true polearms did evolve directly from the longaxe (bardiche, etc). Based on his writing and what I've read elsewhere, it seems that some polearms evolved from the longaxe in this fashion:

The area of the haft below the longaxe head proved to be a point of dangerous structural stress, so the lower point of the blade was extended downward and inward toward the haft, where it could be attached by a pin or driven through the haft and clinched. That early attempt to stabilize the traditional longaxe design was the beginning of the two-eye hafting of medieval polearms (and the Lochaber axe). Joining those eyes in one long, closed socket (formed by folding the two halves of the blade around a mandrel) further strengthened the design. Stretching the upper point of the axe produced a better thrusting weapon. Moving that stretched point in-line with the haft increased the thrusting power of the weapon. A thrusting weapon needs good length, which is impractical with a true, thick axe head, so sacrifice a bit of iron for the benefit of a couple more feet of ash and iron strips to strengthen and defend the assembly. Suddenly, you're holding a halberd.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But such soldiers as the Galloglasses, Anglo-Danish huscarls and the Varangians are AFAIK described as both using the the longaxe and fighting in fairly discipline close order formations. Confused
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
But such soldiers as the Galloglasses, Anglo-Danish huscarls and the Varangians are AFAIK described as both using the the longaxe and fighting in fairly discipline close order formations. Confused

Huscarls and Varangians I don't know about. As for the Irish, maybe I've misinterpreted the text from this page: http://www.geocities.com/na_degadmedieval_ire...-Equipment

The Kern would carry his armour and the horseboy carrying enough utensils for all three and preparing camp in the evenings, doing the cooking and mending any equipment that needed attention and also providing a limited medical service to Galloglaich. In battle the Kern was usually equipped with at least a pole-arm (see: Kern) while the horseboy was equipped with the Irish Short bow or more likely a sheaf of Darts.

This trio fought as a unit called a 'Sparr', the name taken from the axe wielded by the Galloglaich; the armoured Galloglaich would fight to the front supported by the kern with the pole arm while the horseboy showered the enemy with darts before the spar could make contact possibly opening up a gap in the enemy lines. The horseboy would then either retire or if similarly armed to the Kern fought alongside the Galloglaich...

In Irish warfare the Galloglaich were used in the open field against other Irish armies but when they encountered the more heavily armed and armoured English troops Irish commanders preferred to use them as shock troops in ambush. While capable of meeting the English in the open they were usually outnumbered and they were especially susceptible to archers. The Irish chiefs knew the worth of their Galloglaich and would not throw them away in such a foolhardy venture. They Irish would harass the enemy from woodland or a pass with Kern Skirmishers and lured them into giving chase. After reaching difficult terrain they would then be suddenly attacked from the flanks by the Galloglaich who usually made short work of the disorganised soldiers.

From this description I envisioned the Irish axe-men not in a formal, mass formation such as a shield wall, but rather working almost independently in the fight, supported by a few retainers, and preferring the sudden charge and ambush to open-field combat in the classical/renaissance style, with large formations of well-disciplined infantry. Maybe disorganized isn't the right word....decentralized? De-formed? Laughing Out Loud

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For what it's worth, several of Derrick's images show the Irish longaxe in action. This one is especially interesting because it shows cavalry engagements (note orderly Irish cav at right) and Kern or Gallowglass using longaxes against well-formed English shot and more loosely-organized supporting English halberdiers. Notice that the Irish are shown using their longaxes in an overhead chopping motion, while the halberdiers are leading with the points of their weapons.
-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For what it's worth (considering contemporary propaganda motives) several of Derrick's images show the Irish longaxe in action. This one is especially interesting because it shows both cavalry engagements (note orderly Irish cav at right) and Kern or Gallowglass using longaxes against well-formed units of English shot and English halberdiers. Notice that the lone Irish axeman remaining on the field is shown using his axe in an overhead chopping motion, while the halberdiers are leading with the points of their weapons or keeping the blades forward, if elevated . The Irish are fleeing without any apparent attention to formation. We can't tell from the image if this depicts a complete rout of the Irish from a disciplined formation or simply shows the Irish leaving the field as they came onto it. You know, I hadn't ever noticed until just now that the two men standing to the axe-man's left are throwing darts! Maybe they are the other two men who make up a complete "Spar" and defend the axe-wielding Gallowglass as described in the text I pasted into my earlier post. Fascinating stuff!

Attachment: 114.72 KB
route2.jpg

Attachment: 102.77 KB
route.jpg

-Sean

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Danish War Axe as a Weapon         Reply with quote

Every weapon has it's strength and it's weakness, weapons were created in those days with the main intent of the weapon being easily learned by the mainstream. However, a weapon expert will know his weapon like the back of his hand, put this axe in the hands of a martial artist who is expert with this kind or similar weapon and he will devise moves with it that you never dreamed. Take a Kung Fu master for instance, he will take this weapon and develop it several levels up.
Getting back to strength and weakness, a longer haft gains you something and you give up something, you gain reach, you loose some speed of dexterity, make the haft shorter and it loses applications. I do believe that the hooking maneuvers were one of the intents of this weapon, though I know little along the lines of medieval weaponry, I have learned that a lot of the art of medieval weapons has been lost, it did not stay as a part of the culture as did similar weapons in the asian world. So unless someone has access to the concrete facts of how this weapon was intended to be used, then who is to say what it was designed for? Sure it is obvious that the main use was as a hacking weapon, but that does not mean this was the limit of it's intended use.
As for figure 8s with this weapon, it is deadly coming or going, if it is the backside of the axe head that is coming at him, the upward curved point of the blade can slice him open. Or the figure 8 being done to open his guard and follow through with a pole thrust strike to the solar plexus area, then overhead hack with the blade of the axe head. Like I said before, I could go on and on.

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In situations like this it's all too easy to fall into contemplating what is possible with a given weapon and thereby forget about what is probable. Just because this type of axe works well in the backyard in certain scenarios doesn't neccessarily mean it was used that way. Just because it can be used like a staff weapon doesn't neccessarily mean that it was.

That's a good point, and exactly why sometimes you've got to take it out of the yard and onto a more largescale exercise.
From what I've seen, longaxemen do very well in skirmishes, but in more organised battles, they become specialised tools. They tend to need the protection of a shieldwall, but if directed properly, a unit of longaxemen can whip around a flank, or break up archers. The downside is (again, in my anecdotal and uneducated experience) you need a lot of room to really wade into the enemy. Perhaps that's why the overhand chop is so often represented - it simply allows for tighter formations.

I also wonder if the longaxe wasn't a preferred weapon for going viking - powerful, with good reach, but much easier to pack in and out than a spear and shield. Plus you can use it to repair your ship if need be. Does any of you saga saavy folks know which weapons were more common in raids?

I also started to wonder how an ash haft would stand up to a sword in a parrying role, but AFAIK swords were the notable exception in the viking era. I really should have taken pictures vs a spear, or handaxe and shield. It might paint a different picture.

BTW Sean thanks for the pics and insight.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually Bob I think that extra haft gives you more speed and control - is a XIIa "slower" than a type XII? you're spreading your hands out more, giving power and control but maintaining your effective range. I think the main target of that extra range may be ankles and knees, if anything (this would also lead to some nasty hooking). Just to beat the drum again, hooking can be your worst enemy if multiple combat - anytime you commit to one action for that long , you're in real danger from other combatants. It's never the guy you're fighting that kills you, it's his buddy that you didn't notice.
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Given a choice of haft length         Reply with quote

I suppose I would prefer about 62 inches. Though I practiced a lot with the "bo" it was not my expertise weapon, my weapon is the nunchuku, one or two handed I am very fast. Longer weapon faster than a shorter weapon? No, it is slower, however there is more applied force. When you get into the type XII, XIIa, XV etc swords, your getting beyond my area of knowledge, as I said, I am a novice in the medieval weaponry world and I freely admit that. I am here to learn, not to preach what I "think" I know. What I do have behind me is an extensive education in karate, that of which I can no longer do because of back problems. I have not hit a heavy bag in over a year and I have one in the basement. But I was told no more impact sports of any kind, not even jogging. Which had a lot to do with getting me into swords, though I had already had the spark of interest lit. I was told upon inquiry by my orthopedic surgeon that not only could I workout with swords but that it would be very good for me. My strength in karate was freestyle fighting, I've bang heads and had my head banged, loved every minute of it. Perhaps that is where some of my brain damage came from? LOL!

It is hard to give up something you truly love, but thank the gods I found medieval european swords and weapons, and as a matter of fact, I like this more!
When you guys get into the indepth science of swords, what I try to do is study what you are saying and learn from it. Many of you have taught be a lot so far and guided me in the right direction to websites etc. All of which I appreciate to no end.
The longer or heavier a weapon is, the more cumbersome it is, not that it is necessarily cumbersome per say. Say for instance to compare two of my swords, the German Bastard Sword and the English Longsword, the bastard sword is almost twice the weight and a tad bit longer, no way is it as fast as the longsword, however it has awesome power!

12 inch nunchuku vs 14 inch nunchuku, the 12 inch is faster, a lot faster! For those that may not be familiar, a nunchuku is basically two sticks attached by a short length of rope or chain.

To try to teach or preach how a medieval weapon is used, I would not attempt this, that would be just plain ignorant arrogance, as I have said repeatedly, I am only a novice in this area. But as a martial artist who trained for several years intensively I think I can come up with some relatively intelligent ideas.
I only toss an idea up for conversation to see what other people think of it, that is all I do.

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob, please give us pics as soon as you get the axe, I just don't know how to hold a bo, so the descriptor isn't helping me at all. Are you saying palms down thumbs in? WTF?! On the subject of gripping, I'm sure we all agree that grips change for different applications, so I don't want to give the impression that there is one almighty grip.

What I would suggest, however, is that it is probably best not to confuse any two weapons. While some principles are universal, to suggest that an axe is a staff that just happens to have a choppy pokey at one end ignores the primary function and design of the axe as a tool - choppy choppy, not hooky pokey sweepy buttstrokey etc.

I certainly don't want to come off wrong here, but in the simplest possible way get back to the foundation of an axe - the chop. Chop to the arm, chop off a leg, chop to the head and neck, then get the heck outta there. I was also a student of karate for years. One of the hardest lessons, coming from that environment, is that you're not just fighting one person, and death can come from the most unexpected places. Group combat, even small skirmishes, are completely different animals.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
weapons were created in those days with the main intent of the weapon being easily learned by the mainstream.

I'd have to disagree with you on that point Bob. There were entire segments of society that weren't even allowed to bear arms in those days, and warriors were not exactly considered mainstream but more of an elite. While some weapons were widely used by the masses this type of axe isn't commonly considered to be one of them. You don't see the fyrd using it on the Bayeux Tapestry. The Saxon Huscarl is probably the most common warrior known for using this weapon, and they were anything but mainstream. The Huscarl served as household troops, mercenaries, or both. In their time they were considered to be some of the toughest fighters in Europe. They weren't mainstream or common and I don't think this axe was considered a peasants weapon. So I think if we consider this weapon to be designed to the lowest common denominator we may be making a mistake.

Along with the sai, the bow was one of my favorite weapons during my days in the oriental arts. I still have mine and wound up mounting a spear head to it as part of my viking kit: http://www.myArmoury.com/pat_othr_han_viks.html?1

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Wed 19 Oct, 2005 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Patrick, I never thought of that. I suppose in an era when iron was valued as currency, a peasant (bondi?) might not have enough iron for a large, specialized axe(i.e. too narrow a blade to do a lot of heavy utility work) in addition to his other household tools.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Pictures of Dane Axe Applications         Reply with quote

I will gladly do that, again remember these are only my ideas and not my knowledge of the axe. The main way to hold a bo as I was taught. Grips are placed so as to divide the weapon in thirds. Right hand palm up, left hand palm down. Though this weapon was not a weapon of the asian world, I gotta tell ya, I'd love to see what a Kung Fu master would come up with in the use of this weapon, though I realize this is fantasy thinking.
Patrick, thanks for your insight on the broad knowledge of weapons by those who used them. This is another reason why I say that all I do is throw a thought up for conversation, so that I can read the feedback and learn from it. I can't begin to tell you all how much I really love this medieval stuff! Sure wish I'd of discovered this years ago, though it was a huge uplift to learn this about myself when I did, as I was rather depressed being told my karate days were over.
It was like, well now what do I do with myself? I worked so hard for this belt and now I am finished.
I guess we never really know what waits for us around the next corner.
I sure am grateful for Arms & Armor and Albion being around, to make available to us, high quality replica weapons. One thing that is very true, I am always happy to read about someone's new acquisition, as I personally know the happiness of getting that new item.
What we all share is one beautiful obsession about the history of our ancestors from centuries ago, we help the legacy live on and not die out. So we contribute to society with the madness of our obsession, but this is a good obsession in my view, for the reasons I stated above.

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
I'd love to see what a Kung Fu master would come up with in the use of this weapon, though I realize this is fantasy thinking.

I don't think it would be such a stretch. I've seen quite a few photos or Chinese polearms that would fit very well with this knid of axe. It would be interesting to get feedback from someone like that.

Quote:
I worked so hard for this belt and now I am finished.

Are you, or are you simply moving in a different direction? I'm sure your Sensei taught you that belt was the least important thing about what you were doing.

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Thu 20 Oct, 2005 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Danish War Axe         Reply with quote

I was medically forced to quit karate, the black belt was hard earned, this was not one of those black belt factory schools that are all over the place these days. Except for the two 6th degree black belts, I was the best freestyle fighter in any of the four schools. My weak area was kata, because I did not care that much about kata, I enjoyed sparring and self defense.
Yes, I have to move in a different direction, 2 mild henias in cervical, 2 mild hernias in lumbar, bone spurs here and there in spine as well as in both shoulders and moderate arthritis all through the spine. This is a result of abusing my body like I was 25 for too many years. I was told by 3 doctors that my karate days are OVER!
I was going to go for my 2nd and possibly my 3rd degree black belt, but oh well. I also trained in reality combat under Keith Hackney at Hackneys Combat. www.hackneyscombat.com
As it was, it took me some 200 chiropractor visits to get to black belt, it finally got so bad, I could not go to class anymore.
Thank god for excellent health insurance, I am one of the lucky few.
I also trained in Kenpo karate back in my late teens.

Anyway, once again I got kind of carried away there. It is hard for me to believe that the shape of the Danish War Axe was not also designed for the hooking applications and as to be used as a staff weapon.

Remember several years ago, when there was an instructional book found by archeologists dating from the 16th or 15th century, depicting the sword being used in ways never dreamed of? I remember hearing about this on TV several years ago. So why would not the same be true for the Danish War Axe? Just a thought.

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

I can see were you had to stop the regular karate training putting a lot of stress on damaged body parts: I wonder how much or little skill you could still display if you had to use your karate to defend yourself ? Also, can you still go through the training motions in a less intense way, slow motion training with no impact to keep some of the muscle memory tuned.

Would some of the softer more circular martial arts like aikido be within the stress level that your body could take ???

People seem to be able to continue training with aikido at fairly advanced ages.

Oh, with the Danish axe a lot of what you have said makes a lot of sense to me and deep knowledge of one or more martial arts does help in imagining possible techniques even if it's hard to prove or even know what was done in period.

In any case I have been enjoying your contributions.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Awaiting Arrival of the Danish War Axe by A&A
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: