Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Differences between spears and lances? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Black Mastro wrote:
Wow, I haven't been around for a while.

Great thread, folks.

A lot of good points have been brought up, and I'd like at add a few more. The word "landsknecht" literally means "servant of the land, but Douglas Miller noted that, as early as 1500, the word was being spelled as lanzknecht, which has a totally different meaning ("lance-servant"). This alternate spelling apparently continued for a pretty long time, as Sir John Smythe makes reference to the "lance-knights of Germany" in his Certain Discourses Military of 1590.

Clearly, folks weren't as specific in their use of various terms back then.

I'm not trying to be overly picky but one must unterstand that prior to Martin Luther and the Brothers Grimm there was no real orthography in what is now Germany. People were spelling words as they wanted to. Maybe Smythe just made a mistake by translating from German into English what he thought of as obvious. But things can be a bit tricky *g*
A "Lanze" (lance) is something to be used from horseback, a footsoldier uses a pike (= Spiess). I've stumbled several times across the term "Spiessknecht" (pike-servant) in texts. The term Lanzknecht/Landsknecht no matter how it was spelled has nothing to do with a lance. It's simply a mistake made by later historians and often also period people who got it wrong when they heard the word for the first time. It's (almost) impossible to hear the difference. And now imagine someone with a Swabian or Bavarian dialect saying that word *g*

But it is true that from 1500 on the misleading term Lanzknecht was widely used. That's probably why Smythe made that mistake Happy
I hope I didn't sound too much like a know-it-all idiot *g*

Btw, WWII regulars were called "Landser". This term comes directly from Landsknecht.

Last edited by Wolfgang Armbruster on Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elizabethan writers were renouned for their inventiveness in spelling and word-useage, Shakespeare being merely the best known example. Sir John Smythe, as well as his fellow War Horse Sir Roger Williams, would have given a modern lexographer fits (and probably do, for that matter). So our trying to fit our modern, rather persnickety and definitive notions of what a word actually means into a 16th (or pretty much any other) Century nomenclature is an exercise in frustration, since they didn't use such specific terms/meanings in the day. At least not the same ones used today. I am sure that German, Italian, French and just about any other language one would wish to mention has the same difficulties. Modern historians and especially collectors like things specific and in their pigeon-hole, but folks writing in the period didn't have such notions, nor did they really care. Durn 'em! Big Grin

Two of the better examples I can think of are firstly in the English 1590 translation of Francois de la Noue's Discourses , in which the word "spear" is used in the same way we would use "Lance", i.e meaning a "heavy lance" of the type a Gendarme would carry. The second is the term "Snaphaunce". Modern collectors and historians use this term for a very specific type of flint ignition system for firearms, with a separate steel and pan-cover. However, in the 17th Century, it was used to describe just about any flint-ignition system, leading some historians to unwittingly believe that the more archaic form was in use far longer than is probably the case. But it was the term, rather than the type, that was in long usage.

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
He would most certainly be lance-proof. in the chest.

Why do you say this? Yes, period accounts do have men wearing mail resisting lance blows, but they also have mail being pierced by lances. From the Crusades, you have that knight taking a mighty lance blow but surviving due to his mail, while you also have Usama saying he pierced both side of a Frankish knight's mail (the fat Frank lived because the lance didn't hit anything vital).

Alan Williams' mail tests certainly don't prove mail was lance proof. To my knowledge no one has properly measured the kinetic energy of a couched lance, but I'm fairly sure it exceeded 200 J. You can put that much energy in a golf swing or thrown javelin.

Quote:
Certainly by the later period, such as from the 14th through the 16th Century, the heavy lance was really considered a "Single Shot" weapon, useful for the first contact and if that contact were successful, discarded. Part of the object was to break the lance on your opponent, or in him, as the case may be. Usually the Gendarme would then ride back to his page for a second lance and charge again, but if he were involved in a melee he would draw the war-hammer or mace from his saddle-bow and lay into his opponents with that. (Swords are tertiary weapons in such fights, usually). In any event, without the speed of the horse to impart shock, a heavy lance is a pretty useless weapon.

Yeah, though in same period you had Spanish horsemen in the New World using their lances, which were fairly long, over and over again against Amerindian infantry. Was this type of thing ever done in Europe during the same period? I wonder how the well heavy lance worked against pike formations. Killing or wounding only one pikeman per pass doesn't seem like a very good deal for the heavy horseman, but I guess they could still smack a few heads with a mace or sword after they lost the lance.

Also, when exactly did the kind of heavy lance your talking about become standard? In late 14th and early 15th centuries, knights were quite capable of putting their lances to good use when dismounted.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Yeah, though in same period you had Spanish horsemen in the New World using their lances, which were fairly long, over and over again against Amerindian infantry. Was this type of thing ever done in Europe during the same period? I wonder how the well heavy lance worked against pike formations. Killing or wounding only one pikeman per pass doesn't seem like a very good deal for the heavy horseman, but I guess they could still smack a few heads with a mace or sword after they lost the lance.

Also, when exactly did the kind of heavy lance your talking about become standard? In late 14th and early 15th centuries, knights were quite capable of putting their lances to good use when dismounted.

Spaniards, at least their Jineta Cavalry, were their own ball game, being much more akin to the North African light horse than the European Knightly Cavalry of the same period. Heck, they weren't all that much different from the Norman or Frankish Horse of half-a-millenium before when you get down to it, being armed in a shirt of maille, a steel cap, a shield (though the leather adarga is certainly far different in form than a Norman Kite, but substantially the same in use), sword and a light lance. It was indeed used in all sorts of ways, be it couched or thrust, of hurled even. But they didn't stand against the Gendarmerie, either. In Itally, when Gonsalo de Cordoba tried to send his Jinetes into combat with the French Heavy Cavalry, they were scattered like pullets. Wonderful Light Horse, and great for scouting and guerrilla warfare, but lousy for standing up to Gendarmerie.

One would have to dig through the period iconography to be able to determine just when the lance/spear became the Heavy Lance. I'm sure it differed from place to place throughout Europe. Certainly Italian Gendarmes were able to cut down their lances to go toe-to-toe with the Swiss as Arbedo (I think I got that right), or the French doing the same to try to come to grips with the English at Crecy a couple of generations earlier. Certainly the Heavy Lance was being used, with the "lance arret" by the late-14th/early-15th Century, and it may well be that device which was the critical item in converting the lance from a mutli-purpose pole-arm into the single-purpose shock weapon were discussing.

Per contact with Infantry, it would seem as though the main tactic was to send in fairly small groups of several dozen Horse at "full career" flying into the masses of Foote with the couched lance, plowing in as deeply as possible, smashing a few heads with maces while there, withdrawing, rallying, and going at it again until either the Foote desintigrated under the repeated hammer blows, or the Horse ran out of men, horses, and enthusiasm. That's my take on it, at least. Since it was the general rule to put the best armoured men in the front ranks of the Infantry, it would be necessary to do a "one charge, one man" toll until you managed to get deep enough to really do damage with lighter weapons.

Allons!

Gordon

Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Spaniards, at least their Jineta Cavalry, were their own ball game, being much more akin to the North African light horse than the European Knightly Cavalry of the same period.

Yeah, but I don't think the cavalry Cortes used were exactly like the jinetes. It's hard to tell exactly what kind of armor they wore, but at least some of them were quite well armed. Cortes notes all the arrows and stones he survived in his letters back to Spain. My feeling is that they were somewhere in-between jinetes and gendarmes: similar to the lancers that became popular somewhat later on in Europe. Did lancers treat their lighter lances as one shot weapons and usually break them? Probably not always, though if I remember right Sir Roger Williams said lancers could stand up to fully plated knights. Of course, even if the lance doesn't break, using it in a melee is tough, though I guess that's not a problem if you shatter the other guy's formation.
Jaroslav Kravcak

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems like they really needed too much of such a stuff. How many lances would single Gendarme carry into fight then?

But when charging infantry that I think in most cases would outnumber heavy cavalry quite significantly wouldnt horsemen put some effort to use their lance at several opponents in their way? It seems to me its hard to get lance out of a huge mass of meat like horse anyway hitting infantryman into head could cause lethal blow and still allow rider to keep his lance for second try well that only my imagination about this. Armour would be really resistant so I think theres no better way to finish off fully armoured infantryman that to use shock that lance can provide but maybe when fighting weakly armoured opponents lances would have just same effect as any weaponry as not so much energy is needed to get through protection of the enemy IMHO.

Could you advice some good about such a battles like Fornovo Marignano Ravenna Castillon or Formigny or about equipment and organization of French Ordonnance from the end of 100yrs war? I tryed to find something closer though unsuccesfully.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin;

It's hard to say exactly what the Spanish Horse of Cortez was armed like, since there verying claims as to their equipment, but yes, they do sort of fit in between the Jinete and Gendarme. They used shock tactics like Gendarmes, yet often as not used the lance overhand, or threw it. I guess that was the genius of those men, in that they weren't forcing themselves into a single style but using what was needed in the situation. The muster lists of Coronado's men reveal a broad selection of arms and armour carried by the horsemen, and one would think that they might be trying to push themselves into the Gendarme mould, but their tactics (as well as occasional throwing of their lances) suggests otherwise.

If we are comparing "Lancers" to "Gendarmes"/"Fully Plated Knights" then we get into some difficulties of definition. Sir Roger Williams was writing in an era of the degredation of the Gendarmerie away from the fully armoured Man-at-Arms on an armoured horse, to a much lighter species of Cavalry. Mezo and Basta (according to John Cruso, for I haven't read those in the original yet) claimed that the Lancer of their day (post-1600) was no longer to be considered a Heavy Cavalryman, as he didn't use sufficient armour or horse, and that only the Cuirassier/Pistolier ("Rutters" as Sir Roger Williams was wont to call them, after the German "Reiter") could be considered as such. Even then, Cuirassiers weren't up to par with the old French or Burgundian Gendarmerie. Really, only the French Catholics and Spaniards held to the Lance much by the time Sir Roger was writing (1580's), in Western Europe at least, and they weren't the best quality, at least according to most other commentators. But Sir Roger certainly held to them, and his arguments are worthwhile, definitely. But for every point he makes in favor of the Lance, Francois de la Noue makes them in favor of the Pistol, so it was one of those points in time when all was in flux. But I don't think anyone depreciated the Gendarmerie at the height of their prowess, say 1450-1550, as being the premier force on the battlefield. Maybe not the overwhelming force that Feudal Cavalry had been a few hundred years earlier, but a serious force to be reconned with, and always to be on the watch for.

Anyway, it does seem counter-intuitive, but breaking the lance seems to have been the main object of the game: if you came back with an umbroken lance, you weren't trying hard enough.

Jaroslav:

The Gendarme himself would only ride into battle carrying his single lance, but he would have servants in the rear carrying several in reserve. After breaking his first lance, he would rally with his comrades and return for a fresh lance, and repeat.

Per the organization of a Compagnie d'Ordonnance, I would suggest that you pursue the following website's information. These fellows have done a lot of research into the subject, and are no doubt far more able to be of service to you in providing the information you desire:

http://www.medievalproductions.nl/compagnie_de_ordonnance/

As far as I know, the composition of the individual companies didn't change dramatically until the reforms of 1536, when Francois I decreased the numbers of Archers in a Lance, and changed the armour requirements, etc., but I'm not totally positive about that. There may well have been other major dimunitions in the size of each Lance prior to that.

Allons!

Gordon

Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems to me its hard to get lance out of a huge mass of meat like horse anyway hitting infantryman into head could cause lethal blow and still allow rider to keep his lance for second try well that only my imagination about this. Armour would be really resistant so I think theres no better way to finish off fully armoured infantryman that to use shock that lance can provide but maybe when fighting weakly armoured opponents lances would have just same effect as any weaponry as not so much energy is needed to get through protection of the enemy IMHO.

As best I can tell, that's what the Spanish did against Amerindian forces, and what the lancers of later centuries did as well. I remember reading some story about English horsemen stopping to shake the shields off their lances when fighting in Africa. Lighter lances certainly could be used more than once.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As best I can tell, that's what the Spanish did against Amerindian forces, and what the lancers of later centuries did as well. I remember reading some story about English horsemen stopping to shake the shields off their lances when fighting in Africa. Lighter lances certainly could be used more than once.

Absolutely, and they're far more flexible (in more ways than one!) Lighter lances can be used in a broad variety of ways, while the Heavy Lance really can only be used couched (though I suppose a particularly strong man could weild it in more ways than that, when you get down to it. But it would be difficult for most folks).

Really, the Spaniards' tactical use of Lancers, and the British tactical use of Lancers in their respective Colonial Wars is pretty darned similar, when you get down to it. Proves that it was a good system for the circumstances, I should think.

Allons!

Gordon

Jaroslav Kravcak

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still wonder how would such a charge look like. Division to lances would mean that there were no more mass frontal attacks like in earlier days but rather well placed and timed charges to cause maximal casualties for minimal losses. This would mean that after one group get out of fight maybe with retreat backed up by other company they could restock lances and perform another strike thats obvious to me. But how would fight itself look like? After collision with first ranks they had to start fighting with some secondary weapon when their lance broke would it be effective way to deal with heavily armoured infantry? Maybe horsespeed adds some energy to weapon used anyway to me it looks like lance would allways be best solution to eliminate well armoured enemy or would it be better to change weapon after charge from practical causes? Id say riders would struggle not to be forced to stop in the middle of the infantry or would they rather fight stationary without being forced to?

What about equipment of heavy cavalry of middle 15th century? Especially in case of the horses. AFAIK full plate armour for horses wasnt so common by that time but its quite possible they used some additional horse protection like chainmail or hardened leather. Would be most cavalrymen say French heavy cavalry carry even some plate parts except chanfron and crinet? Maybe peytrels at least?
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
But for every point he makes in favor of the Lance, Francois de la Noue makes them in favor of the Pistol, so it was one of those points in time when all was in flux.

The strange thing is that Williams knew about de la Noue, and agree with him that the pistol was better on paper. He just thought that only the best-trained horsemen would be up to that standard, and that lancers would beat the tar out of pistoliers who shot too soon.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The strange thing is that Williams knew about de la Noue, and agreed with him that the pistol was better on paper. He just thought that only the best-trained horsemen would be up to that standard, and that lancers would beat the tar out of pistoliers who shot too soon.

It is interesting... and of course, Williams was right, too! What to me is the most interesting is that throughout the period, all of the authors I've explored state that the Lancer must be himself better trained, and on a stronger, faster, better trained horse, but that the Pistolier must be in the better trained unit. Thus man-for-man, the Lancer would be the better man, but the Pistoliers would have the better unit (assuming all things were done properly).

It's all rather like Napoleon's comment about one Mameluke could beat 3 French Cuirassiers because man-for-man, the Mamelukes were better fighters. But 10 Frenchmen could beat 100 Mamelukes because they were more disciplined and would work together as a unit. I would hesitate to put 10 Pistoliers against 100 Gendarmes, however... Eek!

Anyway, I absolutely love Sir Roger's comments, he's spot on, and quite obviously an irrascable old curmudgeon who doesn't take anything from anyone. Quite the character! Right up there with his arch-enemy Sir John Smythe! Big Grin

Allons!

Gordon

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Differences between spears and lances?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: