Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Pikula Project Progress, "Little Seax" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And finally, the rivets still are not in place, but the concept and design are there!

Attachment: 109.3 KB
DSCN2347.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OUUUUUUUUUUUUU ......... that's nice. Big Grin

Glad I got my order in early, these might disappear like hot cakes or as we might say in French " Des petits pains chauds ". Big Grin Cool

In English it's cake, in French it's bread as in small little breads hot out of the oven smothered in butter. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Up late doing an all nighter of DVD watching and haven't had breakfast yet, so my imagery is food " obsessed ".

In other words WOW, I like a lot. Happy

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 07 Dec, 2012 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely! And a notch or two fancier than I was expecting. I love the very clean lines of the woodwork and the little glint of brass. Not aesthetically boring as some working knives can be, but not so fancy that you'd be afraid to take it camping and clean a trout with it. You've hit the Goldilocks zone, sir. Just right. I'm glad I dropped my name in the hat for two of them. Happy
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan informed us, "The pun reminds me of a very small musical instrument made of brass since I pronounce the word \ˈsaks\["

Ummmm....so like Saks Fifth Avenue? My brain is positively reeling with colliding images now!

I have this creepy sense that Michael might decide to carry the pun further and make a "Seax Fifth Avenue"!!!!

OH GOD! What have I done! Laughing Out Loud
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

OK, I've managed to beat my imagination back into its cage temporarily.

The knife is so beautifully cleanly designed that it's literally timeless.

Both sheathes are wonderful as well! Much as I really admire the one with the integral belt loop I'll opt for the hanging loop version because it's more traditional for a seax.

Ken Speed
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wasn't going to get one of these but now that I see it all put together. . . I just had to, it's SO COOL!

I am going to gift it to a family member who might appreciate such a little knife- seems very useful- as well as attractive. Anyway, with this he will see the nice stuff that is out there.

Last edited by Jeremy V. Krause on Sat 08 Dec, 2012 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whats this? Another soul destroying choice I have to make! Aghhh

Little seax logo or not... useful belt attachment or traditional loop. Oh Michael you are a tease....
Paul Greathouse

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Fantastic! It is so pretty for so cheap! I prefer the lower of the two sheaths, but both are very nice. I look forward to getting mine!
Ryan McLaurin

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgive me if I missed it in the thread somewhere, but how do we place an order for one of these? They look really great and I just decided what I want for Christmas from my wife : )
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan McLaurin wrote:
Forgive me if I missed it in the thread somewhere, but how do we place an order for one of these? They look really great and I just decided what I want for Christmas from my wife : )

Well, you can P.M. Michael for an initial contact and get his e-mail address.

I pay with Paypal to his e-mail address, but I was a buyer of Michael's work in the past and already have his contact information.

Unless Michael has another suggestion as to the best way to contact him and place an order ?

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan McLaurin wrote:

Hi Ryan!

For placing an order please send me a PM with which sheath style you are interested in, "Loop" or "Slit" as well as if you would like one with or without the stamp. I will confirm that I got the order and will get you an estimated delivery date. As I have all the components finished, and only need to assemble the sheath I will be completing them in the order that I receive them and can finish 9 sheaths a day, starting Monday. Once I have your "Little Seax" ready to ship I will send you a message letting you know, and requesting payment. Paypal is the best option, if you prefer to send a check or money order please let me know and it would likely be better to send payment when placing the order so that funds can clear and the seax can be shipped as soon as it is completed.

Thank you so much!
Michael
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So far 1/5 of the 100 "Little Seax" have been ordered! They will be ready to ship by the end of the week and timeline for the prize seax will begin once I ship the first "Little Seax"

Thank you to everyone who has supported this project so far! Happy

EDIT: I have been asked to look into shipping charges to Europe, and on average the cost will be $150 shipped to Europe and should take about 6 days.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pikula Project Progress, "Little Seax"         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Because the world would be a better place if everyone had a little seax!

Well, I might not be able to make enough for the whole world, but 100 of them is a decent start. Each seax has a blade length under 3 inches, is handmade by me with only the heat treat being outsourced to a commercial heat treat company for 50-60 rockwell. They will be finished and ready for purchase by the end of November, and $140 will put them at your door step, shipped within the continental US, with a leather sheath featuring bronze hardware.

Stay tuned for more updates!

( Note underline in quote added by me ).

And now there are only 99, mine I just paid for and it's on it's way to me.

( Well, maybe even less than 99 left as I don't know how many have already been contacted by Michael that their Seax is ready ).

Marc Blaydoe

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am anxiously awaiting notification so I can pay for and receive mine!
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My two are paid for, and, if Michael's schedule holds, shipped already. Of course they'll just sit in a box until late January, when I can get back Stateside, but I'm looking forward to seeing the little guys. Happy
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am hard at work getting these done and shipped. Quite a few went out today, and there are many more that are in the finishing and packing stages. Looks like all of the "Little Seax" that were ordered will go out by Thursday Happy

So far 24 have been ordered, 7 of the slit sheath, and 17 of the loop sheath. I made hardware for 50 of each so there are still plenty of each style to be hand Wink
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well my order is in. Slit sheath/belt sheath for me! Thinking it should be more useful as a working blade if it isnt flapping around everywhere.
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

29 have been sold to date and only one remains with the stamp removed! Sounds like the first couple shipped are starting to reach there new homes and have had some good feedback so far.

Happy Holidays to everyone!
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: little seax         Reply with quote

Seax arrived yesterday! Wonderful piece of craftsmanship. My first impression is I got a GREAT bargain on this. The fit and finish are spectacular. Wood handle is ample for every task - I have big hands, and it is always problematical if a "small" knife is actually going to be usable for me. This seax is perfect! It is going to be used quite a bit for everyday tasks. Used it tonight for cutting up most of the food for cooking. Cleaned up great, and still sharp. The leather sheath is very impressive. I really like the hardware and how it is riveted together. Snug fit on the knife as well. (that must have been a pain in the neck form fitting each knife!) I do historical talks at various schools in my area, and this is going into the carry kit. Can't wait to use this outdoors. Deer season is over, but spring small game is just around the corner. The wide spine is very reassuring to me - can bear down without worrying about a snap. I found the engraving had a secondary benefit: it works like a thumb notch, and gives super control. This is what craftsman should strive for! This piece does NOT look like a "batch" manufacture. For all the hand finish work on this, $140 with shipping is a steal!!! Thank you so much for doing this project. I am going to enjoy using this little knife to its fullest.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got it today and love it. It just feels great! There is a surprising weight to the seax that I really, REALLY like! It just feels good to hold. The broad but short blade has a nice presence. Mine arrived sharp as a razor! The sheath is also really well done. Thanks Michael for another success. To anyone who hasn't bought one yet but is thinking...get one before they are gone! You will kick yourself if you don't.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Pikula Project Progress, "Little Seax"
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: