Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and arms worn when not in battle. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Getting pranced on by a 1500-2000 pound horse cannot help a fall I agree 100% with that. The question would be is the damage worse falling in armour? I know of people who have had serious injure falling unarmoured from horse or worse in our time. The Second is, is it much harder to control a horse with armour. I did not find it so when I did some jousting, though I never had any really bad falls to further that one.

The medieval horse weighed about 900 pounds, 1000 by exception: The Medieval Horse and its Equipment, c.1150-1450 (Medieval Finds from Excavations in London), John Clark - Jun 2004.

Horses will as a rule do everything short of flying to avoid stepping on you and even if they do the damage is usually not all that serious.
You have more controll with unhindered movement, It is far easier to maintain balance without extra weight and a fall is literally lighter.

I know of people too who were seriouly hurt by falling from a horse but seen in persepective the occurrance is VERY low.
Personally I have fallen (and I do not mean dropping off but downhill galops etc.) more times than I can remember (and that is no side effect) and have suffered nothing serious.
Neither is absolute proof serious damage will or will not occur.
Just look at it: there are account of knights killed by a fall from their horse but how many were there? and how often/much did they ride?!

It's full(ish) moon, 23.00 hours here so I am going out for a cross country ride; without a helmet or what and those guys were very likey WAY better riders than I am Wink

peter
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
For once, we know how the scandinavians transported their mail: in chests on the ships.

Since we bring up naval travel, I figured I would include the fact that Christine Pizan's period text discusses river crossings. She does not say the obvious about removing armour, but does say put heavy gear into hollowed out logs or secure floating vessels. She also mentioned positioning two lines of larger / taller people (like a corridor) to block upstream current and possibly catch any smaller person that might begin to drift downstream.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went into work today, and a co-worker who rides a Paso Fino showed up this very morning with his arm in a sling and two broken ribs. He is an accomplished rider, but, in my experience falls happen! Another dad I know has more than 2 hours of video footage (edited to be examples of falls, riding mishaps) collected from just a few years of Eventing competition experience. A couple of the incidents captured were ones in which rider or horse died later from the complications. Allow for the fact that this was agressive riding, mixed terrain, very similar to what melee tournament ground period descriptions remind me of.

We also know that there were distinct breeding programs (Teutonic Knights had several stables) for larger horses specialized for war. I'd allow that there were some 16 to 17 hands tall horses around before the 19th century. It is hard to say what size they were century by century going backwards. 10th century, most horses were probably small by modern expectations, but some good Andulasians and Arabians of weight similar (1000 to 1200 lb) to what Peter quotes were more than likely around as these had been bred for almost 1000 years by that point. Godfrey of Bouillon brought a very large Belgian breed on crusade, that elicited comments on its size. Also, this was not what he rode for most of the 2500 miles covered on horse in route to Jerusalem, conserving the horse for battle and show. This resulted in some resentment as it consumed a lot of resources while people were literally starving, thirsting, and walking. I have forgotten the specifics, but believe it stumbled and fell at one point, and crushed both another man and his horse together. I would have to check back on the source I dug up when posting about horse breeds used by medieval knights.

Nearly all of you are in better condition than I. Most are pretty young. Enjoy it, but in moderation. Extended repetitive exposure to some stresses is different than occasional exposure. I used to jog up to 50 miles, occasionally. I avoided exceeding a weekly running average of 10 miles per day (70 miles in a single week), My knees and joints are all still healthy. I could run if I wanted to. Several similar aged runners I know who over indulged have been told by their doctors not to run ever again. A friend of mine who is solidly built, and amazingly, also a good marathon runner (won Kentucky derby marathan 2003 I believe, has won significant others) just returned from two years service in Iraq. The constant toll of 70 lbs of gear in his early 40's gave him back problems, and he left just short of a full two years volunteer service with honorable discharge due to the back problems. He was fit. But, it is hard to be fit enough to do that daily after you are no longer young. I could believe in subjecting young squires to frequent travel and excercise in full gear as a way of conditioning them. Alternatively, there were knights in their 40's, and several legendary ones referred to as "flower of chivalry" who were commanding battles into their 60's. Some of these could have had an appreciation for conserving their health, and energy.

Scott Eschenbrenner

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You bring up a good point, Jared, concerning your friend's tour in Iraq. There are enough people wearing armor and carrying heavy load-bearing gear day after day, to show that it would have certainly been possible for knights to wear their armor more frequently than we assume. And your average 11B is in no better shape than we might assume a knight was.

Now, there are certainly much stricter regulations in effect in the Army and USMC regarding the wear of protective equipment, and I would imagine that 500 years ago it was left up to personal preference. If personal preference was allowed today I think you would generally see less armor worn and less equipment carried, except in some high-threat environments. But it goes to show that bearing the weight for long periods of time, even in extreme heat during daytime foot patrols in the Middle East, is possible. An IBA doesn't breath any more than a steel cuirass.

Additionally, there is more than one way to wear armor, and this was as true then as now. Many in this thread have mentioned lighter weight, reduced coverage, or concealed armor for certain situations. And we have the equivalent today. Big difference between the vest an undercover cop might wear, and the crap you have to put on to ride in the turret of a Humvee.

I haven't read enough primary sources to form an opinion on how commonly armor was worn outside of battle. But at least with a few modern parallels, I can make some reasonable assumptions on what was possible.
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just skimmed this thread, please excuse me if I'm repeating something already brought up. I think another consideration about the need to wear armor is the number of friends around you. In many of the old stories in which someone is kidnapped, assassinated, etc, the assailants are waiting for them to be alone, like going out to the privy or something. In town, and especially when traveling, the need to be in a group is frequently mentioned. Sorry, no sources of the top of my head except Chaucer, I'm just generalizing from memory. Anyway, my point is that being in a group increases safety and reduces the need for armor.
Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers wrote:
I've just skimmed this thread, please excuse me if I'm repeating something already brought up. I think another consideration about the need to wear armor is the number of friends around you. In many of the old stories in which someone is kidnapped, assassinated, etc, the assailants are waiting for them to be alone, like going out to the privy or something. In town, and especially when traveling, the need to be in a group is frequently mentioned. Sorry, no sources of the top of my head except Chaucer, I'm just generalizing from memory. Anyway, my point is that being in a group increases safety and reduces the need for armor.

A group of one's own retainers, some of which who would be armed at any one time: Basically body guards, in such a case a Knight, a High Noble or King could afford to wait for battle to be imminent to have his squires or pages help him to put on his armour quickly and be protected during the process.

A bit of paranoia, lots of enemies or even a particular love of weapons and armour might influence one to be armed and discretely armoured more often than a less paranoid person with few personal enemies who only views weapons at necessary tools but only when there is a real perceived need to be armed.

Different period but in 18th century London I don't think a gentleman would go out without a sword, a small pocket boxlock pistol and or a stout walking stick or walking stick/sword cane: The threat level being too high to walk around unarmed during the day maybe ? But certainly not alone late at night ? I could be wrong here, so if I am let me know. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A little 12th century history. William Marshall spent two years touring France , going as far West as Cologne Germany, mostly wandering between tournaments. He had a full time partner, but it was not generally a matter of two individuals wandering about. They would generally agree to team with others (around 10 to 20 + squires) arranged by agreement following a tournament before journeying to another. A typical group of knights and esquires traveling then figures to be something like 30 to 50 battle competent individuals traveling together. This is pretty typical of 12th through 13th century era. There were larger groups (200 to 300+), but those were the exceptions in terms of teams that are known to have arrived together following travel to participate in tournament occurring in foreign lands.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Yeah this is a pretty big debate right now that I will not get into on this thread but for fairness here is the opposite side of the coin. 900 pounds is fairly low according to Ayton's book on Warhorses, which is usually looked at as the standard on this subject by most of the people I know that study the topic. Keen puts the 14th and 15th century war horse much higher than 1000 as well. There is no way a 900 pound horse would allow for a man in full armour of the 15th century and its own armour according to the weight loads they are to carry. That would be close to if not more than half its body weight, which according to the Heavy Riders guide by Whittington and Hart-Poe from 1999, they can carry 1/4 their weight, meaning that to carry 200-400 pounds of man, arms and armour for them both you'd need 300-400 times 4 which is 1200-1600 pounds. It also should be said that the manual also states this as an upper end of the carry capacity, advising larger horses for longer periods of time and better use. Though horses can pull much greater weights behind them, usually many times their own weight especially on wheels. John by the way seems to be one of the few historians arguing that warhorses continued that low so you should likely look into the counterarguments against him as they seem more convincing but that is my own opinion. In fact even Prestwich which is the next lowest in weight I can think of states 1000 as a low figure and up to 1500 as an average weight.

I have been around horses quite a bit, not likely as much as you but a fair deal and can appreciate what you are saying but think you maybe missing the context of them being hundreds of thousands on a field close together which more or less makes it involuntary for them. We also know that horse could be trained to trample and bit men in combat during period so this also would have an effect as they likely avoid trampling in part from fear of stumbling as well. People get trampled by horses even today. I knew a person at my high school that was thrown and stepped on a few times so clearly not impossible. I am sure most people who have spent any time around horses know of a few people.

OK sorry for the brief detour. Laughing Out Loud

RPM
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I went into work today, and a co-worker who rides a Paso Fino showed up this very morning with his arm in a sling and two broken ribs. He is an accomplished rider, but, in my experience falls happen!

Sure, nobody will disagree but the crux is that it is an intergral part of riding, does not happen often and is usually harmless. You make a mistake, loose out to gravity, pull yourself together, call your horse and remount. At least I do Wink
I am sure the medieval knight was trained VERY thoroughly in how to fall. It is an integral part of riding, or should be. Compair it to riding a dirt bike Idea The FEAR of falling is the biggest problem Laughing Out Loud even if someone breaks a neck occasionally.
Nowadays most riders are a fall waiting to happen without being prepaired in how to fall. You cannot take this as representative.

Quote:
...., but some good Andulasians and Arabians of weight similar (1000 to 1200 lb) to what Peter quotes were more than likely around as these had been bred for almost 1000 years by that point.

The 'andalucian' has been around since always Idea The type is endemic to the iberian peninsula and NW africa. It has harly chanced (if any) over 20.000 years.
A very clear horse depicted in a cave realtively nearby could be a portrait of a mare we have :-)
Allthough the PRE tends to be 'baroque' the typical iberian an be seen in the lusitan rejoneo horses: about 900-950 pounds.

The history of the arab is less clear. The horse was not endemic to arabia and the ancestors of the arab were domesticated elsewhere. There are many romantic extrapolations but the facts are that they radiated out of arabia with the spread of islam and that their indentifying gene cluster is relatively young.

An interesting point is that the crusaders in the near east used up horses at a high rate and collected taxes from subdued local leaders in horses as a supply for themselves. Those local leaders are likely to have bred arab type horses: 700-750 pounds is most likely.

peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
think you maybe missing the context of them being hundreds of thousands on a field close together which more or less makes it involuntary for them.

I have been looking but found no pictures.
There are about a dozen carreras de cinta in our valley yearly. This is usally on a field somewhere close to a fiesta patronales with 50 to 100 horseman in various states of alcohol intoxication galopping around on horses confused about what their rider means, with a crowd of spectators as the living boundary.
The only picture I have is of me some six years ago trying the field hours early http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-DBQ6PZBK.jpg

No, this is not war, not by a long run. These mayhems as well as the bullruns on horseback are however way beyond the experiences of modern horsemen yet there hardly even is a fall and over the past 8 years nobody got hurt. Toppling off a horse simply is no issue.
Same thing concering acoso y derriba: I did witness a realy spectacular fall once when the guy stuck his lance in the ground at full galop and was lauched 5 metres high. The common reaction was of great amusement about his clumsyness. The guy got off with a dusty outfit. Again, taking a fall is no issue: if it is you should not participate, as simple as that.
This is NOW and if you add the far more fatalistic ' shit happens' acceptance off riscs and death of the middleages and to me the least issue about potential hazards of horseriding has evaporated as a factor during the middleages Laughing Out Loud

You WILL fall and if you don not want to, do not get on.
You WILL fall so prepare yourself to deal with it.

No different from swords: if you do not want to cut yourself, do not play with sharp things.

Have fun,

peter
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

I get the hazards of horse riding. I have had some accidents of my own to give me a fair deal of caution regarding it. My point is exactly that the horse does not have the agility to avoid everything when it is blocked side to side by other horses. I never said the fear of taking a fall would keep someone from riding only that a fall COULD cause injury. I never even said it often caused injury only that it could. If you have an issue with that I am sure I could dig up the national statistics of such accidents to show you it COULD and DOES happen but really do not see a point.

RPM
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I would call these things a "skirmish". I am not sure how antiquated my own terminology might be, but, a large number of deaths of knights can be attributed to such conflicts. The strategy of 12th -13tth century melee tournament seems to me to be geared towards this type of engagement.

What are you calling a "skirmish," specifically? If it's the chevauchee, then I'm not sure I'd agree with that, since the chevauchee is more properly a raid--aimed at the enemy's (civilian) resource base and done while avoiding armed encounters with the enemy, whereas a skirmish indicates an armed encounter of precisely the kind that a raiding party would want to avoid as much as possible.

Medieval warfare often surprises us by just how little fighting actually took place. Come to think of it, modern warfare still involves a great deal less fighting and a great deal more marching, drilling, and snooping around than people think.
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-It seems to me that an arming sword, or heavy dagger, steel cap and doublet of defence would be used as much as possibe in these situations, and that things like Sir John Paston's doublet of defence disguised by a velvet cover to look like a winter doublet were (See the Paston Letters for the attempt on Sir John's life )
Ja68ms
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
[
What are you calling a "skirmish," specifically? If it's the chevauchee, then I'm not sure I'd agree with that, since the chevauchee is more properly a raid--aimed at the enemy's (civilian) resource base and done while avoiding armed encounters with the enemy, whereas a skirmish indicates an armed encounter of precisely the kind that a raiding party would want to avoid as much as possible.

Medieval warfare often surprises us by just how little fighting actually took place. Come to think of it, modern warfare still involves a great deal less fighting and a great deal more marching, drilling, and snooping around than people think.

I pretty much agree with your assessment of how little fighting took place (long term.)

I never really studied "chevauchee", but know that deaths of mounted men raiding civilian infrastructure or scouting within enemy territory, that met enemy forces and were killed in chasing/ evading type encounters were sometimes recorded as "died in skirmish." This happens several times in English accounts of deaths. I never really thought to differentiate between a "side battle skirmish" and conflicts in raids when avoidance of armed enemy makes perfectly logical sense. Any how, if there is an established difference in terminology, I am interested. Please elaborate!

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, "skirmish" refers to a single tactical action, which differs from a pitched battle because it's either smaller in scale or it's not brought to a final conclusion (i.e. both sides had the choice of engaging in a decisive battle but one or both chose not to do so).

The "raid," on the other hand, refers to a strategic action against the enemy's resources--the entirety of the action, that is, from the time the raiders left their staging area until they arrived back on friendly ground. So a raid may include one skirmish, several, or none (if the raiders were particularly timid or particularly good at avoiding the enemy--or both). And the chevauchee generally fits better with the description of the raid than the lone skirmish.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armour and arms worn when not in battle.
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: