Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Chain mail questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Joe M.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Chain maille         Reply with quote

I'm the guy that started this thread a week ago, and I want to say thanks for all the insights into modern chain maille differences and particulars. I *think* I know what I want now, so I need some names. 20 responses later I have seen only two mentioned - Erik Schmid and Forth Armoury. Schmid's stuff is awesome........but as a first time buyer of maille, the prices nearly made me soil the cushion on my computer chair. Forth's stuff also looked great - but they have zero items in stock.

Basically, I am sold on riveted steel - just love the quality, durability, and authenticity. I will probably never use any of my swords or armor in mock combat - the thought of destroying my steel babies for "fun" just makes me cringe. I'll stick to my punching bag, thank you. Though I'll only wear my stuff at the Fair and Halloween, etc, I want it to be REAL. I suppose stanless steel and alluminum make *logical* sense (care-free durability, light weight), but *emotionally* I could not accept them! Kinda' like giving up all my time-consuming houseplants for high quality plastic/fabric plants. Can't do it. Yeah, nowadays they look incredibly real and require only occasional dusting - but I want REAL plants.

So, names please! Happy

Lassie ate chickens Happy
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: names         Reply with quote

give Mike at Albion a call - I saw some stuff in the warehouse that should fit the bill.

you might also want to try [looks around to make sure no one is watching and whispers very, very quietly] museum replicas limited. they opened up their offerings in maile last year a lot and their prices are some of the better around; can't vouch for the quality though - haven't seen it in person Happy
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reps stuff falls under the "black iron " maintenance heading but is very low price . I think the stuff at Albion is also
"mainentance " maille but give Mikey a call . I believe theres a company in eastern Europe ( maybe the Czech
Republic ) that is also doing very cheap riveted maille which I "assume" is also black iron so maintenance willbe neccessary . I can't think of the name off the top of my head but I see thier stuff on e-bat alot being sold by
other folks .
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Spend the extra         Reply with quote

Joe,

Do yourself a favor and avoid the Indian made maille. You can get the alternating row hauberk's quite reasonably priced( imho) from Forth Armoury . Alternating row is both historically correct and a fair bit less expensive then fully riveted. As far as time frame, call Steve at Forth. I spoke with him the other night, he was extremely knowledgable and very responsive to any questions I had.

Just curious, what are you planning on wearing as your foundation garment? At the very least I would recommend a lightly padded coat or tunic.

James

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Joe M.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spend the extra         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
Joe,

Just curious, what are you planning on wearing as your foundation garment? At the very least I would recommend a lightly padded coat or tunic.

James

My favorite period/style is Viking, and you may have seen my other thread on trying to find someone who makes quality authentic-looking Viking clothing. Studying my Viking books I see so many possibilities of things to wear, but when I hunt replica clothing manufacturers absoltulely *nothing* is suitable (to me). I would LOVE an authentic-looking long-sleeved tunic, but can find nothing appropriate (other than details on how to make one myself.....too lazy/busy to learn another hobby!). Vikings wore Gambesons (incorrect spelling, I know), but the ones I find for sale look too "Rennaissance" and also seem inappropriate.

Last Halloween, with my 3 and a half year old son as a knight (he wanted to be a Viking like Dad, but I cringed at the only offerings in his size with plastic Hollywood-style horned helms!), I went as a poor "peasant" Viking. I was well-armed, with a Deltin Viking sword & baldric, Mercenary's Tailor Norman helm, sturdy Gokstad shield (Valentine Armouries), and Albion axe blade (shaft made myself). However, I was dressed in only a mid-sleeve light tunic. I need long-sleeves, a cape, and maille before my next outing, or I'm afraid I'll be thrown overboard by my own men.........(ok, bit of fantasy on that last part).

Lassie ate chickens Happy
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James's suggestion's a good one . A maille shirts weight hangs on the shoulders and while you can wear a belt at the
waist and bag the maille out there a little to take some of that off it will still fall primarilly there . Even a lightly padded coat can make the difference between aching shoulders and a desire to take you hauberk/haubergone
off after an hour and you wearing it all day/night in comfort . While the gamboisone/arming coat served a purpose
as part of the protection it also acts like the padded straps on a back pack allowing you to carry the weight of the
armour comfortably .
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I believe that when I finally purchase my hauberk I will go with forth armoury, but because of their payment plan options I am in no position to do so at the moment. I have come to the conclusion that for me- to get quality early middle age garments and a gambesson I will need to have them costum made, and many of the higher end armorers can recommend competant folks to do this. Albion's cloak is quite nice, though expensive at $400.00. I have come to understand that if one is interested not just in the historical weapons but also the accoutrements then this hobby becomes even more costly and more involved.
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Arming clothes         Reply with quote

Period appropriate arming clothes, though expensive, are in my opinion ( or at least in the case of my preferred time frame) something that must be made correctly. As the foundation to your armor, it is imperative that they be appropriate to the type of defenses worn above. In my case, I am going with a transitional high Gothic-Maximillian harness. This type of armor ONLY works when one has the proper arming jack underneath tp provide arming points and the requisite padding. Admittedly, a viking style hauberk has more leeway in what is worn underneath, but I believe it is an absolutely necessary expense to get as close to the appropriate (or at least a "best educated guess") foundation garments for your time frame. From a reenactment stand point, it helps to carry the mood and may have bearing on how you move.
"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Francois Smith

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try this place: http://members.verizon.net/~vze3by89/shirt.html
J. Margeson

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: 12th C. Maille         Reply with quote

I've read the posts for this string and found them interesting and accurate on the whole. I hope I'm not too late to reply.

I'm finishing a full suit of maille in a style dating to the 13th C. when knights worn maille from head to toe, essentially. Its 14 gage (I hear groans), 5/16 interior diameter, galvanized steel, and butted (hear additional groans). I'm trying to accurately depict the density of the maille form this period and replicate the patterning from this time period. The only way I found to do that with realistic budget constraints ($500) was to buy wire in bulk and weave it myself. I saw forth armory's website when I first started and their "ready-to-go" rivets and links look great and still do. But I didn't like the density you get with 3/8 interior diameter. Also, from the pictures I've seen of maille made and worn in the medieval centuries its a little more complicated then riveted/butted, galvanized/raw iron, etc. The pieces that make up the maille suit are made of different interior diameters, gauges, some are flattened links and others aren't, presumably, because the armorer made a suit with the right amount of flexibility for maneuverability, density for protection, weight for comfort and a certain artistic flair.

I think what we're all finding out in this discussion is that we are actually dealing with the same dilemmas as someone who had to price out their own armor in the centuries in which we want to depict. Less money and you have a "cheapo repro," as someone said, but money will get you accurate armor.

My point is, maille armor was an art. If I had the money and time I would have purchased a truckload of forth armory's material and made it myself but I still wouldn't be close to finishing anything. At some point you'll have to settle. Get what you can and be able to appreciate the difference between what you have and the real thing.

And if anyone says my suit is a cheapo repro I think we will have a serious disagreement. Wink
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well put . The last paragraph especially .

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Chain mail questions
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: