Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Reeve Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I'm just hoping it fits into my PJ scabbard. Big Grin

WTF?!

... blasphemer!

Well, do you know anyone who could make one? Wink

Possibly... just possibly... but only to save you from a mortal sin. Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
For me this has always been the classic 11th century european design. Consuquently I ordered one to go with my 11th century kit.

This was my thinking as well... while my personal focus is on the Ottonian/Salian HRE as opposed to the Norman areas of this time period, this sword would be well suited to either.
The Reeve looks to be an exceptional piece, even exceeding my expectations.
Of course, the real test is yet to come...
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
M. Taylor wrote:
Wow. Yet another one that I wasn't sure that I'd like and was soundly proven wrong. Wink You've got another winner, guys.

For me this has always been the classic 11th century european design. Consuquently I ordered one to go with my 11th century kit.

oh you... you suck so bad!!!!!!! hehe jk. man you GOTTA take lots of pics of it w/ your kit
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Note to all Reeve lovers - the Albion webpage says "This sword is offered in a limited edition of only 100 collectible swords worldwide." I wonder why only 100 for this particular model?

that and the bayeux is 100 also. WHY? OH HEAVENS WHY? hehehhe sniff sniff.. see my dreams fadeing aaway....

on a good note my wife tells me she loves albion's stuff. she held jeffj's and gordon clarks swords and liked them. we jsut have that kinda cash with a 16month old and she wants like 3 more kids waaa hehehe ok im done now. you all go play with my 2 dream swords
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Note to all Reeve lovers - the Albion webpage says "This sword is offered in a limited edition of only 100 collectible swords worldwide." I wonder why only 100 for this particular model?

A while back I was chatting with Mike and asked him about this. Basically they guestimate how popular the sword will be and decide how many they plan on making. An example are the viking swords with the two piece pommel construction. They're very nice, but due to the higher cost associated with the pommel they don't sell as many as some of the other viking swords, so they're on smaller production runs. The other thing Mike mentioned was they thought that a finite number of swords being made in any given run might enhance the value for their customers once the run is sold out.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:
A while back I was chatting with Mike and asked him about this. Basically they guestimate how popular the sword will be and decide how many they plan on making. An example are the viking swords with the two piece pommel construction. They're very nice, but due to the higher cost associated with the pommel they don't sell as many as some of the other viking swords, so they're on smaller production runs. The other thing Mike mentioned was they thought that a finite number of swords being made in any given run might enhance the value for their customers once the run is sold out.

I see the largest advantage to us customers regarding the limited runs being the ability for Albion to phase out a model and re-release it with changed components or details if it was relatively popular in its first configuration. This adds variety and options for us all.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess if Albion start changing their minds about the number of swords in a limited edition after the fact their credibility will be toast at least as far as limiting the numbers increases the collectors value down the line. ( In theory )

They should be careful before they announce a number so that they don't limit to a small number a popular design.

They might consider waiting in the future until the swords are in production to announce the size of the edition depending on how much interest is shown on the pre-order books. At the concept stage deciding numbers seems premature to me: Just lacks flexibility !?

Small production numbers make sense if the piece is going to be much more expensive to produce than average or the demand is expected to be low.

In some cases ending a line before the target numbers are reached might work: A large edition becoming smaller might increase the collectors value and would not be a negative for a collector and would not be considered going back on a commitment. This could be useful as a means of better managing the product line. This should obviously not be done unless a design has not met a minimum level of demand or demand has become stagnant. Just an idea worth thinking about, there might be problems keeping the production set-up for a sword that isn't selling for years without activity.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WTF?! Alright, already... this one kept creeping into my head all day yesterday, dispatched countless enemies last night in my dreams, and I just had to look at the pics again this morning. I'll just tighten the belt a little, but I'm getting one... The fact that it'll drive Chuck nuts is cool, too! (just kidding, Chuck... well, sort of... Razz)

Now comes the part that I find difficult for some reason... trying to feel out a grip color...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
WTF?! Alright, already... this one kept creeping into my head all day yesterday, dispatched countless enemies last night in my dreams, and I just had to look at the pics again this morning. I'll just tighten the belt a little, but I'm getting one... The fact that it'll drive Chuck nuts is cool, too! (just kidding, Chuck... well, sort of... Razz)

Now comes the part that I find difficult for some reason... trying to feel out a grip color...

hahahaha well to know that it will go to such a nice home will be fine with me.... now where do you live and what kinda of home security do u have btw? heheheh

i enjoy both the reeve and the bay jsut as pictured. i dont think i would change up anything. the albion guys really hit it on the heads with the production pictures.

hehehe my wife likes em both! hehehe now if they will last thru summer (i might be able to get 1) hehehe
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
...now if they will last thru summer (i might be able to get 1) hehehe
Good luck, Chuck, since the countdown from 100 appears to be well under way Worried
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Aaron Schnatterly

(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
hahahaha well to know that it will go to such a nice home will be fine with me.... now where do you live and what kinda of home security do u have btw? heheheh

Nice, Chuck! If you're ever in the area, you're welcome to drop by for a friendly visit. The house is well-protected, and we're all overly-armed and armoured.

Chuck Russell wrote:
i enjoy both the reeve and the bay jsut as pictured. i dont think i would change up anything. the albion guys really hit it on the heads with the production pictures.

hehehe my wife likes em both! hehehe now if they will last thru summer (i might be able to get 1) hehehe

I dig 'em both, too... especially this one. I'd sworn off production swords for a while to pursue a couple of other custom projects, but the Reeve I just couldn't resist. I love the grip as pictured (or similar), but a large portion of my cache' is already some form of red... I'm leaning towards something different, but I'm just not sure.

I don't think you'll miss out by the end of Summer... just keep your eyes open - once this piece's production run gets down to the last 5 or 10, I'll bet an announcement will be made. There's also the option for a payment plan if you and Mike can work something out... Besides, if this piece sells out in 3 or 4 months, I would bet a new model will emerge to replace it, as Nathan proposed earlier in this thread.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Various things -

The Vinland, Gotland, and Clontarf are all 100-run swords. They were released around 2 years ago? (I'm a little fuzzy on this) They are only now reaching the end . There is a notice over at Albion saying the Vinland has fewer than 10 models left. Of course, the popularity of those 3 swords may have been submerged by the more complex Viking swords like the Jarl that followed. Maybe the same pattern won't be followed by the Reeve, and it will sell out in 4 months. Actually, I selfishly hope it will soon reach 100 sales. That means my copy will retain much more value than will one of the thousand-run swords.

I'm not ordering a Reeve scabbard. I'm hoping that it will fit one of those I already have. Maybe the one that was made for my Gotland will do - though the Reeve's blade is just a bit longer and may not have as much profile taper. I also have hopes for an old-style Christian Fletcher scabbard made for my DT2121.

The Reeve's pommel didn't turn out quite like the one in the concept drawing. I like it better: it's not quite as round, and seems longer, slimmer.. It's a classic Type A pommel shape.

Oakeshott wrote in his introduction to Records of the Medieval Sword, something to this effect -- Medieval swords can have an austere perfection of line and proportion. If he had been able to see the Reeve, I think that phrase would have been in his thoughts again.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I believe I will go red with my grip. I just hope that it will have some mottling to it's hue.

On second look I think the Reeve which is shown may have a magenta grip, I'm sure it's not oxblood. My choice for red is due somewhat to several origonals that were stated to have been made with red colored leather. I really prefer more muted choices like oxblood and light brown but I have models with those colors so maybe red- I just hope it's not fire engine red!

Jeremy
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm really restraining myself from NOT ordering this. I really love the looks of it very much, but I just can't afford any more swords untill I get a new car, but I fear this might be sold out by then.

As for the grip, Howard, is the one sword pictured on the site done with magenta, or oxblood?? I'm guessing magenta, though I could be wrong ofcourse.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
As for the grip, Howard, is the one sword pictured on the site done with magenta, or oxblood?? I'm guessing magenta, though I could be wrong ofcourse.

Since I own swords with both colors and seen many more examples of each, I'd guess magenta. Oxblood is much more brown, with red highlights.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

Since I own swords with both colors and seen many more examples of each, I'd guess magenta. Oxblood is much more brown, with red highlights.

Thanks Chad. From what I've heard of the Albion's magenta and oxblood, I'd thought this was the case. I think that Albion's oxblood would look very nice on this.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
I'm really restraining myself from NOT ordering this. I really love the looks of it very much, but I just can't afford any more swords untill I get a new car, but I fear this might be sold out by then.

I wouldn't fret too early-- the Clontarf, Vinland, and Gotland are all still for sale, and they were released 2 years ago. So you might have more time than you think...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
[I wouldn't fret too early-- the Clontarf, Vinland, and Gotland are all still for sale, and they were released 2 years ago. So you might have more time than you think...

Exactly. Happy I'm thinking these guys believe the sword market is much larger than it actually is.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have ordered my Reeve and just had to announce that the one shown is my sword. Big Grin
I just couldn't resist. I think that it is kind of cool that both my Norman and now the Reeve are the actual pieces pictured on Albion's site.

Jeremy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have ordered my Reeve and just had to announce that the one shown is my sword. Big Grin
I just couldn't resist. I think that it is kind of cool that both my Norman and now the Reeve are the actual pieces pictured on Albion's site.

Jeremy

Mine is on the way too but with a proper black grip. Razz

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Reeve
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: