Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movies you`d like to see made. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't seen or heard of the Julius Caesar mini series but I believe the film "Vercingetorix" is the same film as "Druids" starring Christopher Lambert. The movie seems to go under both names. Unfortunately, everything I've read about it indicates that it's a flaming piece of turd. Too bad because I think it would make a great story.

here's the IMDB link to the Vercingetorix movie...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199481/

Constant and true.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
I believe the film "Vercingetorix" is the same film as "Druids" starring Christopher Lambert. The movie seems to go under both names. Unfortunately, everything I've read about it indicates that it's a flaming piece of turd. Too bad because I think it would make a great story.[/url]

If you are correct, Jay, then I will confirm firsthand, it sucks. I didn't make it halfway. I tried to get it out of my head, but you have resurrected those horrid memories. Back to therapy... yup... back to therapy... Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe I speak for a great many when I say I love the movie BraveHeart..........but........I'd love to see a more historically accurate portrayal of the lives of Wallace and The Bruce. Mel did a great job, but I doubt that the real William Wallace ever went into battle with woad on his face and wearing a ratty kilt-looking , sarong-robe kinda thing. C'mon....Wallace lived in a house of wood in Edinburgh and was a bookbinder by trade, was he not? BraveHeart Redeux.......I'll buy a ticket. mcm.
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Terribly sorry         Reply with quote

I am terribly sorry that I made you guys recall those bad memorys.
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Big Grin Cool Eek! Surprised Confused Worried WTF?!

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see an HBO miniseries about the Hauteville family. The Hautevilles were a set of Norman brothers who came down to southern Italy around the mid 11th century, and gradually took over the place. Their children and grandchildren conquered Muslim Sicly, and ruled one of the most interesting kingdoms of the Medieval period.

As an HBO miniseries it would have some advantages over a movie:

More time to tell a very complicated story
I think HBO would be less likely to turn it into a historical fable showing us how to behave in modern times, and might actually try to understand who these people were and why they did what they did.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
The Big Macejowski.
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Cool Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
I believe I speak for a great many when I say I love the movie BraveHeart..........but........I'd love to see a more historically accurate portrayal of the lives of Wallace and The Bruce. Mel did a great job, but I doubt that the real William Wallace ever went into battle with woad on his face and wearing a ratty kilt-looking , sarong-robe kinda thing. C'mon....Wallace lived in a house of wood in Edinburgh and was a bookbinder by trade, was he not? BraveHeart Redeux.......I'll buy a ticket. mcm.

Absolutely! A slightly less theatrical, significantly more historical version of Wallace and Robert the Bruce's story would be great. Happy
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

If you are correct, Jay, then I will confirm firsthand, it sucks. I didn't make it halfway. I tried to get it out of my head, but you have resurrected those horrid memories. Back to therapy... yup... back to therapy... Razz

Ditto!!!

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race........they are still a rat."
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to see some of J. R. R. Tolkien's stories that got compiled into the Silmarilion by his son Christopher Tolkien made into movies. The tragedy of Turin Turumbar and the Lay of Luthien are at the top of my want to see list. Unfortunatly that would be extreemly tricky to do and I don't think I would trust Hollywood or even Peter Jackson with it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Elling Polden wrote:
The Big Macejowski.
Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Cool Laughing Out Loud

Quote:

Absolutely! A slightly less theatrical, significantly more historical version of Wallace and Robert the Bruce's story would be great. Happy

I would love to see it done with Bruce as the central character instead of Wallace. Seems like a lot there that would make an interesting movie.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
you have resurrected those horrid memories. Back to therapy... yup... back to therapy... Razz

Ooh Glad to hear it, Aaron. My evening will now be filled with villainous maniacal laughter. Wink

Constant and true.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
I’m probably in the minority here, but I’d actually like Hollywood to stop making movies about things that I love until they learn to do it without presenting us with violated and gutted husks of what were once beautiful and sacred stories. Obviously, an epic poem or sweeping historical narrative isn’t going to translate perfectly onto the silver screen, but the degree of disrespect that film makers of today show for their subject matter amounts to nothing less than a blasphemous mockery of our historical and literary traditions. Sure, there are several great stories I'd love to see in the theatre, but I've already given Hollywood too much money to piss me off. I can be pissed off on my own for free. And I can use the money I save to buy books!

The tragic thing is that visually, many of these movies are stunning. It would have required minimal effort on the part of film producers to go that extra tiny step and stay at least partially true to the story, or at least to the spirit of the story. But, no. I guess that’s just too much to ask. Troy was the last straw for me. If that's really the best they can do, Hollywood can break off of California and slide into the sea for all I care.

I love swords, history, and the movies. I've just learned to lighten up and not look at going to a movie like a mission from the authenticity police.

Be careful about the books you buy. Throughout history just as much crap has been put into print as it has on celluloid.

I'm all for the Hastings movie. Starting with the death of Edward the Confessor and going up through Fulford Gate, Stamford Bridge, and Hastings would provide quite a bit of swords, mail, vikings, normans and high drama!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone knows about the "Gor" series, but I bet that would be pretty cool IF well done. Lots of sword fighting, and lustful women! Big Grin

Another one that would be HUGE if done ala LOTR would be "The Chronicle of Thomas Covenant". THAT I'd like to see, although it wouldn't have quite as much sword play.

Anyway, my 2 c.

Scotto
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
I would love to see it done with Bruce as the central character instead of Wallace. Seems like a lot there that would make an interesting movie.

Actually, a very good idea. I believe that Scotland was finally recognized as a sovereign nation during Bruce's rule. While Wallace may have initially been successful at stirring up the Scots against England, I believe it was Bruce's more measured (less zealous?) approach that ultimately won the day for Scotland. He certainly deserves a good film. Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
you have resurrected those horrid memories. Back to therapy... yup... back to therapy... Razz

Ooh Glad to hear it, Aaron. My evening will now be filled with villainous maniacal laughter. Wink

Hey, Jay! Thanks!

To show my deepest and most sincere appreciation, I've got a little somethin' just for you! Razz

Attachment: 4.79 KB
caithnesspommel.JPG
One of my... uh... favorites! A pommel for just such an occasion!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Be careful about the books you buy. Throughout history just as much crap has been put into print as it has on celluloid.

I'm all for the Hastings movie. Starting with the death of Edward the Confessor and going up through Fulford Gate, Stamford Bridge, and Hastings would provide quite a bit of swords, mail, vikings, normans and high drama!

True enough about the books.

Seeing a good representation of Hastings and the events leading up to it would be great. Stamford Bridge and Hastings were two of my favorite reenactments. Hmm... will work for mead?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
I haven't seen or heard of the Julius Caesar mini series but I believe the film "Vercingetorix" is the same film as "Druids" starring Christopher Lambert. The movie seems to go under both names. Unfortunately, everything I've read about it indicates that it's a flaming piece of turd. Too bad because I think it would make a great story.

I remember seeing that "Druids" Christopher Lambert film for rental at Blockbusters. It struck me at the time as having all the earmarks of a yucko film. From everyone's comments, it seems that my instincts were right on target (this is not always the case Laughing Out Loud )
Jay - thanks for the IMDB link. I forgot about that place. Found a link for the Julius Caesar film:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284741/
It was, indeed, a mini-series, made in 2002. Guess no one here has seen it. The IMDB database gives it a 6.7/10 - whoops - just changed to 6.5/10.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Hey, Jay! Thanks!

To show my deepest and most sincere appreciation, I've got a little somethin' just for you! Razz

Oh yeah...

right here, buddy...

MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......... Laughing Out Loud

Constant and true.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That was a punch below the belt. WTF?!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:

Yes, Druids was indeed a flaming piece of turd, as Jay has so eloquently stated. I mean it's bad. And I am usually fairly tolerant of bad films -- some of them can be mindless, stupid fun. But Druids.... it was just plain bad.... there is nothing redeeming about it, at all....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, after watching "Druids" I wanted that hour and a half of my life back....but there are worse:

The 2 Gor movies (yep, they were made) nearly triggered an popletic fit.

"Barbarian Queen" (not the really tacky 1980s one - but the one about Boudicca) could have been SOOOOOO much better (I never knew that a Celtic Roundhouse had a second story...) and the Boudicca Revolt really deserves a GOOD treatment on film.

What I would dearly love to see would be the "Cloth of Gold" done (like "Band of Brothers" as a six part mini-series) that places emphasis on the politics of the event (much like "The Lion in Winter") as well as the martial tournament, where the politics "played out."

We must always remember that movies are made to entertain and make money, thus we get Heath Ledger as a knight, and if we are going to movies to get a history lesson (much like going to a Ren Faire) we are deluding ourselves.

(I have always thought that Monty Python should have done a sequal to "Holy Grail" about the life and times of the "Bring out your dead" guy! That would make an awesome movie!)

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movies you`d like to see made.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: