https://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/iss/

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
The sticker is what does being spring actually mean. If the standard of a sword being resident and spring is being able to shrug off striking a oil drum without any damage or being clamed in a vise and bent repeatily without snapping is what springy means, I think most pre industrial swords would fail that test

Most would, but not all. How many times do I have to say the same thing? Read Pleiner's book. All the data is right there.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't doubt that some swords with higher steel content and good heat treatments, which though rare can be found from the late Halstatt period at least. My point was that they didn't, because they couldn't make anything like a late medieval longsword or rapier (not the same animal as a bronze age "rapier"). I stand by that. I think you are extrapolating beyond the available data when you make the claim that they could do anything that a smith in say, 1450 or 1550 could do. I'd really like to see some evidence that was the case

J.

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I don't doubt that some swords with higher steel content and good heat treatments, which though rare can be found from the late Halstatt period at least. My point was that they didn't, because they couldn't make anything like a late medieval longsword or rapier (not the same animal as a bronze age "rapier"). I stand by that. I think you are extrapolating beyond the available data when you make the claim that they could do anything that a smith in say, 1450 or 1550 could do. I'd really like to see some evidence that was the case.

I've already presented you with the evidence. A one minute search would have turned up an online version of the relevant book.
https://www.academia.edu/16271211/The_Celtic_Sword_Pleiner_1993_

Arne G.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Feb, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
I don't doubt that some swords with higher steel content and good heat treatments, which though rare can be found from the late Halstatt period at least. My point was that they didn't, because they couldn't make anything like a late medieval longsword or rapier (not the same animal as a bronze age "rapier"). I stand by that. I think you are extrapolating beyond the available data when you make the claim that they could do anything that a smith in say, 1450 or 1550 could do. I'd really like to see some evidence that was the case.

I've already presented you with the evidence. A one minute search would have turned up an online version of the relevant book.

Thanks for the link. I've had the hardcopy since it was published, but it's nice to have a softcopy as well.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 04 Feb, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

Are you making the claim that the Romans made hand and a half swords four feet long? Otherwise, why do I need to go looking for anything? If you are claiming they had a few 'springy' swords then I agree, they had some. But I also stand by my point that they lacked the metallurgy to make a longsword, or a high medieval "arming" type sword for that matter.

What you, and apparently the author of that book call a longsword obviously isn't the same thing as a medieval longsword, it's a much shorter weapon with a completely different kind of design and made for a very different type of fighting (one which does not necessarily require the same kind of resiliency). I think we both know this already. Katanas and tachi are comparable to Late Medieval swords, but are not really comparable to swords made 2000 years earlier. In fact they weren't even making ferrous metal swords in Japan at the time many of those Celtic and Roman swords were being made.

This to me was one of the flaws in the video, as I already pointed out.

J

Mark Millman

PostPosted: Wed 05 Feb, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Dan and Jean,

I think that part of your disagreement may be caused by an unstated question: To what degree was it possible reliably and repeatedly to produce good steel for swords? Pleiner's book indicates that for the swords he examined, the quality of steel was very variable, which suggests that bladesmiths could recognize good steel if they had access to it, but that supplies were not consistently available and may have been severely limited. In contrast, we know that by the late Middle Ages, high-quality steels were being reliably produced in Europe, and that they were consistently available to bladesmiths.

This is of course in contrast to the skill of the smith. The best smith working with unsuitable materials won't be able to achieve technically demanding results, while excellent materials will help mediocre craftsmen achieve a high general level of quality.

Best,

Mark Millman
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sat 08 Feb, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is basically what I was saying.

By the high medieval there is a network of metallurgical industries between maybe ~2,000 towns and several hundred abbeys, some princely organizations and a few other entities. By the late medieval you have networks of contractors and subcontractors, and highly organized metal working industries particularly in the vicinity of certain towns (Milan, Brescia, Augsburg, Nuremberg, Barcelona) and many others in Bohemia, Sweden, Flanders, etc. where highly sophisticated mining and metal smelting operations were set up, with systematic quality control and oversight. Including large mining operations and true blast furnace complexes. Look at the manufacturing operations of just two families out of Augsburg alone, the Welsers and the Fuggers (both in Swabia and further away in the Alps and Carpathians) and you can see that they have already reached a level of output and sophistication in metal production (ferrous and copper / bronze) that would not be surpassed until the 18th Century.

Swords by this period were no longer any kind of major challenge to make, they were being produced by the tens of thousands in at least hundreds of polities. By the 15th Century the real money making export business was in armor, crossbow prods and increasingly, cannon and firearms which were gradually dominated by certain key manufacturing centers. But by this period, a four or five foot long piece of high carbon spring steel was not a notable production feat nor particularly expensive.

Rome is obviously a complex subject, and there were certain centers under Roman control by the late Republic where metalworking was more advanced and steely iron or true steel was produced (notably some places in Iberia and the Illyrian polity of Noricum). Roman swords could range from basically wrought iron to some examples (mostly pattern welded) which were effectively steel with a decent heat treatment. But they did not have weapons that matched the high medieval types either in terms of design or metallurgy.

It would be nice if someone did a truly systematic survey of medieval swords - there have been some but many were limited in scope and the data samples were usually small. We also know a lot more about how blades were made now so it won't be so confusing to find different types of metal in the same blade for example.

Sean Manning

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rome is obviously a complex subject, and there were certain centers under Roman control by the late Republic where metalworking was more advanced and steely iron or true steel was produced (notably some places in Iberia and the Illyrian polity of Noricum). Roman swords could range from basically wrought iron to some examples (mostly pattern welded) which were effectively steel with a decent heat treatment. But they did not have weapons that matched the high medieval types either in terms of design or metallurgy.

In her "Study of the Metallography of Some Roman Swords" (http://www.jstor.org/stable/526199) Janet Lang studied six Roman gladii of the first century AD. Three (50%) had quench-hardened medium-carbon steel edges with softer cores. About 60% of the 48 European swords from 1000 to 1600 in Alan Williams' book were made the same way. Iron Age swords have the same range of blade cross-sections we see in late medieval swords, with lots of lenticular and flattened diamond shapes.

So when it comes to comparing Roman imperial swords and high medieval swords, its more like comparing the height of people in different countries (a Vietnamese basketball player is probably taller than a random Dutch person of the same sex) than a rifle made in 1700 and a rifle made in 1900.

Iron Age swords west of India do top out at around 110 cm long, and the longest tend to be the earliest ... so as they got more confident in ironworking, they chose to stop making the big swords. Why they made that choice is hard to say, I am sure that metal quality was one factor.

www.bookandsword.com
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the devil is in the details I guess.

I'll try to spell out my point in comparing Roman to late medieval swords a little more clearly.

In Alan Williams sample, I think we are still talking about too broad of a period (1000 AD to 1600 covers a very wide range of technology) and too small a sample. 12 swords per Century across the length and breadth of Europe.

I know that we have had durometer tests, and to a somewhat lesser extent, metallurgical analysis of one type or another of far more than 48 swords even for the 15th Century alone, and you do see considerably more consistency, and better than medium carbon steel with a basic heat treatment. Unfortunately we don't have all these individual tests conveniently aggregated, some are semi-secret I guess and I'm not sure if they can be shared here. As we have discussed, hopefully somebody will jump into this niche and do a proper survey. For now we have to jump fairly long distances between data points so there is always room for different interpretations. Here is mine.

Early Roman swords (Republican era) tend to follow a fairly narrow range of types, usually featuring relatively short, relatively stiff blades with usually organic hilt features, as typified by the various types of swords we call by the latin word gladius. From the early Imperial era onward the gradual introduction of the the type of swords we call 'spatha', particularly with Gallic and Germanic units: slightly longer, a bit more flexible, some more optimized for cutting perhaps. still typically featuring organic hilts with minimal hand protection. Still not really designed for parrying, in other words - the shield is still the primary defense.

We also know that the swords from this period with the best metallurgical properties were made rather laboriously by forge welding small pieces of higher carbon steel into rods which were then either forge welded or twisted together (or both) with lower carbon iron rods and etc. This could not be done on a very large scale, even with slave labor.

Frankish and Norse made swords start to have metal pommels from some time in the 7th or 8th Century through the third quarter of the 11th, and we can see some improvements in metallurgy particularly in some made of crucible steel in the region around what is now Sollingen. There are some swords with notable quillons toward the end of this period but they are still rare. Some of these swords are very well made with high hardness and good carbon content, some aren't.

It isn't until roughly the late 11th - early 12th Century that swords with proper quillons become commonplace. This too is when the type of geometrically based designs that Peter Johnsson talks about begin to proliferate. It is also, not by coincidence I think, at the same time when the earliest water powered forges began to spread through certain cities in what are now Spain and Italy, and soon across the alps into the center of the Holy Roman Empire.

It's at the end of this period when we start to see the Oakeshott type XII, XIIa and XIII swords, IIa being the first hand and a half type. And in this period we are seeing the iron industry producing much larger pieces of steel, and heat treating them more effectively. You don't have to spend hours building a rod out of 20 small lumps of steel, you can start with one big one.

By the 15th Century, we have basically all of the Oakeshott types from XII through XX, and hand and a half swords are ubiquitous enough that common soldiers are carrying them as sidearms, and swords as long as six feet are being produced in large numbers. In both cases, the sword itself is the primary defense. Both hand and a half and single handed swords are increasingly being made with complex hilt features to further exploit the defensive potential of the blade itself.

Also in the 15th Century, water powered blast furnaces and huge bloomery complexes can be found all over Europe. The water powered trip hammer is found in literally thousands of towns. Iron production has skyrocketed. Pieces of steel can be made so large that they are routinely making armor out of it. Entire breast plates and helmets - Augsburg has an export industry that specializes in producing heat treated steel armor which has the advantage of being thinner and therefore lighter. They are making crossbow prods and saws out of heat treated spring steel. In India they are even making steel bows and strange whip like weapons.

In this famous chart that is always going around, only three of the swords are estimated to be from the 15th -16th Centuries. You'll notice two of them, blades L and I, tested with edge hardness of up to 56 -58 Rockwell, considerably higher than modern 1075 steel which on that chart peaks around 51, (in some other cases up to 55).

I don't know the precise type of swords these were but if they are of the types used in fencing systems emphasizing parrying and defending with the weapon itself, which we know most systems from this era did, then I would assume that these weapons were springy to be sufficiently robust to parry or even to say, strike a buckler rim or an iron helmet.

Now again 2 swords in a 100 year time span is not enough to draw firm conclusions. But to be blunt, I think of the Roman army could have given their infantry or cavalry something like an Oakeshott XVa as a sidearm instead of a spatha type sword, I think they would have.

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But to be blunt, I think of the Roman army could have given their infantry or cavalry something like an Oakeshott XVa as a sidearm instead of a spatha type sword, I think they would have.

We have texts where Romans are ridiculing opponents with longer swords. They deliberately chose shorter swords either for cultural reasons or because it was integral to the way they fought in formation. Probably both. We know for a fact that they could have had longer swords because we have plenty of examples of longer swords from that period and that region. Romans actually used these, but only from horseback. It is pretty arrogant to think we know more about fighting than the people who were actually fighting at the time. Formation fighting is completely different to one-on-one.

The Spartans deliberately shortened their swords to dagger length (shorter than any of their opponents) to encourage aggressive close-in engagement. Plutarch wrote about King Agesilaos being asked why Spartan swords were so short, he replied, "because we fight when the enemy is close to us." An Athenian teased a Spartan about the length of his short sword, he replied, "it is long enough to reach your heart." When another was questioned about it, he stepped right up to him, chest to chest, nose to nose, and replied, "because we fight like this". A Spartan asked his mother why his sword was so short, she replied, "add a step closer to it".

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
But to be blunt, I think of the Roman army could have given their infantry or cavalry something like an Oakeshott XVa as a sidearm instead of a spatha type sword, I think they would have.

We have texts where Romans are ridiculing opponents with longer swords. They deliberately chose shorter swords either for cultural reasons or because it was integral to the way they fought in formation. Probably both.

Rome was a thing for a long time. This was written by some Roman authors at a time when they used shorter swords. And this was also part of a Victorian trope about the Romans, related to a Victorian debate about cutting vs. thrusting swords, not necessarily reflective of reality across the history of the Roman Republic and Empire.

Quote:
We know for a fact that they could have had longer swords because we have plenty of examples of longer swords from that period and that region. Romans actually used these, but only from horseback.

Are you sure about that?

Quote:
It is pretty arrogant to think we know more about fighting than the people who were actually fighting at the time. Formation fighting is completely different to one-on-one.

Actually, the longer 'spatha' type swords were widely adopted and not just by cavalry. My understanding is that Roman infantry was using the longer swords routinely by the 2nd Century. And I would say it's pretty arrogant to assume that people fighting centuries after the Romans didn't know what a formation was. Lets try to keep in mind, we are both referring to historical periods, I am not comparing myself personally to any Roman or Renaissance warrior. I would point out vis a vis the latter that many military leaders 500 years ago were quite a bit more familiar with the writings of the Romans than the vast majority of people today. In fact it was routine for them to be able to read and write in Latin and read say, Cicero or Tacitus in their own tongue, can you? I can't.

It is also worth considering that on some of the many occasions when late medieval military men designed their own fighting formations specifically in imitation of Roman sources, for example with the Tercios, they improved on the Roman kit. Instead of brass helmets - iron. Instead of wooden shields, the steel rotella. And instead of the gladius, far more sophisticated "cut-thrust" swords featuring complex hilts and strong blades with very sharp edges, quite a bit longer than say, the Mainz Gladius at 58 centimeters. More like close to double that, around 100 - 110 cm would be more typical.

Quote:

The Spartans deliberately shortened their swords to dagger length (shorter than any of their opponents) to encourage aggressive close-in engagement. Plutarch wrote about King Agesilaos being asked why Spartan swords were so short, he replied, "because we fight when the enemy is close to us." An Athenian teased a Spartan about the length of his short sword, he replied, "it is long enough to reach your heart." When another was questioned about it, he stepped right up to him, chest to chest, nose to nose, and replied, "because we fight like this". A Spartan asked his mother why his sword was so short, she replied, "add a step closer to it".

And yet Spartan swords weren't necessarily any shorter than (early) Roman swords. In fact aside from whichever sword the Roman legionnaire had, he also had his pugio dagger for the really close stuff.

Also depending on the era, the Roman formation was not necessarily so close either. Remember post Marian reform the main weapon of the Legionnaire was the pilum, and in the maniple or century they opened ranks to throw and changed position as they fought. Very much like the late medieval Fähnlein. And in medieval formations, even humble pikemen routinely carried longswords as sidearms.

Rather than a tactical decision, it seems that it is also a reflection of metallurgy, particularly for the Spartans since they are not known to have had tempered steel weapons as far as I know, or are you saying they did? A wrought iron blade is not going to hold it's shape very well at 110 cm.

The point relevant to springiness is that swords carried by infantry in the early to late Classical era, whether Spartan or Athenian or Roman or Carthaginian, were not necessarily made to parry with whether they were pattern welded steel or wrought iron. That is why the most crucial weapon of the Spartan hoplite wasn't his sword by a long shot, it was his expensive aspis / hoplon shield that he was expected to bring back or 'be carried home on', since we are bringing up all the Classical tropes. And after that, it's his primary offensive weapon, his spear. Right?

J

Sean Manning

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Humh, that seems like it might be a good subject for a blog post around April.

Yes, the Romans in the first century CE already used spathae. They issued them to non-citizens and cavalry, which suggests that they thought they were not the best weapon for citizen infantry. They were in contact with cultures who used swords with iron handguards like the Parthians, but like Dan says, copying those swords would have been like the US Army adopting a Russian truck- empires don't borrow kit from their bitterest rivals. If I had to march as far and fast as a Roman legionary, without a lot of horses and mules and wagons to carry my kit because I was in a real army not a band of thugs, a 700 gram Mainz gladius would have one big advantage over a 1200 gram Oakeshott Type XV!

I did have time to write up a story of working blacksmiths encountering a hundred tons of iron smelted 2500 years ago. They did not say "man, that is so out of date" they said "cool, free iron! and some of this is really good stuff!"

www.bookandsword.com
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Manning wrote:
Humh, that seems like it might be a good subject for a blog post around April.

They were in contact with cultures who used swords with iron handguards like the Parthians, but like Dan says, copying those swords would have been like the US Army adopting a Russian truck- empires don't borrow kit from their bitterest rivals.

The Tupolev Tu-4 says hello.

Enemy's often copy each other, the Tu-4 was a direct copy of B-29 Superfortress.
There numerous other cases where direct copy's have been made like: The Lanchester submachine gun was a MP 28 clone, The MP 3008 was a Sten clone, The RK 62 was a AK47 copy The MiG-9 used German BMW 003 engines, an on.

A vast amount of the Third Reich's kit was taken from the freshly defeated Poles, Czechs an later French.
And lets not get started on the navy, there always using each others stuff.
(Did you know the USS Chesapeake was captured an is now a tea room?)

Now if you can't get it free then you will investigate the idea, an see if it's worth copying.
Often its not due to logistical inerta.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think he's got a very good point Sean. In fact respectfully, while I'm not myself any kind of expert on Ancient Rome, I believe if you tilt your perspective slightly, I think you'll remember that the Romans were possibly the greatest adopters of enemy kit in history.

How did the Romans win the first Punic war? Didn't they copy a captured Carthaginian quinquereme to use as the basis for the new Roman fleet?

Then look at the Marian reform itself, the big change that created the Roman Legionnaire we recognize today. Most of that kit was adopted from the foes of Rome in Iberia - the gladius "Hispaniensis", the pugio, the pilum, and some versions of the helmet were all adopted from tribes in Iberia from what I understand. The lorica hamata mail shirt (and some other types of Roman helmet) was adapted probably a bit earlier from the Gauls circa 3rd Century BC. Rome made these things her own, with improvements in design and manufacturing. But they were copied from the enemy. And quite quickly.

And then speaking of those Parthians and Sassanids and the other tribes of the Middle East, where so many great Empires have bogged down. Didn't the Romans copy the cavalry archers to create their new troop type, the Sagitarii? Later in the Imperial period the Clibinari ("oven men") armored heavy cavalry were certainly copied from the Sassanian Cataphract.

Sean Manning wrote:
If I had to march as far and fast as a Roman legionary, without a lot of horses and mules and wagons to carry my kit because I was in a real army not a band of thugs, a 700 gram Mainz gladius would have one big advantage over a 1200 gram Oakeshott Type XV!

Of course, medieval armies did march as fast and as far as the Romans, and you have a very good point about the weight and bulk of the larger swords, and yet again and again we see them carried by infantry as well as cavalry. Some, like the Landsknechts, adopted shorter swords (katzbalger, or baselard) but the longsword remained ubiquitous. It must have been a helpful sidearm to put up with all that hassle.

To wit, it seems like the Roman infantry eventually adopted the spatha as a primary weapon, and I do mean to include citizen infantry in that, by the late 1st or early 2nd Century. And the sword switched to the left side.

As to the story of the 2500 year old iron find, you remind me of my trip down the Rhine this Spring. In the Laténium museum on Lake Neuchâtel they have an interesting find there. It seems fishermen used to get their nets caught at a certain spot in the lake for centuries. Finally someone sent a team out to investigate it, and they found what is now called the Hauterive ship wreck, a medieval vessel loaded with earthenware pots and these very long iron billets:

The Romans were incredible engineers. Their concrete is still better than the modern equivalent in some respects. It's very easy for us to imagine Roman industry on a large scale. For reasons I still don't fully understand it's harder for us to recognize the same thing in the medieval period, but it's right there in front of us.

Now how hard would it be for me to talk you into making a trip to Hauterive and ask them to let you do some tests on that iron? Wink

J

Attachment: 186.19 KB
Hauterive Iron.jpg

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Tue 11 Feb, 2020 7:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an excerpt from a blog by Osprey publishing about their book, 'the Spatha' which I believe is essentially the conventional wisdom for us laymen on the subject of the use of the Spatha by regular Roman infantry. Granted I'm sure there are more sophisticated analysis to be found in the academy and I'm ready to learn different. Interestingly they mention problems with spathae breaking:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/The_Spatha/

The short sword continued as the sidearm of choice for Roman infantry throughout the 1st century AD and well into the 2nd. Meanwhile, the longer cavalry sword had even acquired a nickname: spatha (from the Greek spathe meaning a spatula or wooden weaving implement). Then, around the middle of the 2nd century AD, something rather interesting happened. A series of innovations in Roman military equipment culminated in a switch to the longer sword for all troops, along with an equally radical change to the side on which the sword was worn (from right to left), with a completely new type of baldric being introduced from which the sword was suspended. Why this should have been the case is not clear. No Roman writer saw fit to refer to any technical innovation or military reform that might have led to this, but the suspicion has to be that it reflected an evolution in the way that Roman troops fought in comparison to earlier times.

It is important to stress that this was not just a change from short sword to longer blade, but rather a return to the original longer sword, employed by both cavalry and infantry. In effect, the use of two lengths of sword between the reigns of Augustus and Antoninus Pius was an aberration, an experiment that failed. This becomes all the clearer when the blade lengths of two spathae found in a burial at Canterbury (655 mm and 695 mm) are compared with the earlier Delos sword. This reversion to a longer infantry sword nevertheless was not the end of the short sword. Archaeological finds demonstrate that spathae were vulnerable to breaking in combat and in a number of instances such broken swords have been found which have been given a new point and repurposed as short swords. These may indeed be the semispathae mentioned by the Late Roman writer Vegetius. Indeed, recent analysis of a spatha from Vindolanda, near Hadrian’s Wall, shows evidence of repeated damage to the edges of the blade, a clean fracture across the whole sword, and an attempt to reforge the sword into something else (perhaps a dagger – Alberti, M. and Bishop, M. C. forthcoming: Three new swords from Vindolanda, Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies 20).

Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I post this, please keep in mind that I do so from a conversational angle, as I am not properly educated in this matter to make an informed position:

I was under the impression that late in Rome's history, a significant portion of the army was in fact comprised of foreigners. These foreigners, who would likely be Germans or Gauls, were partial to longer swords. Such swords are certainly more suited to loose formations rather than the tight formations the Romans proper were famous for. I was also under the impression that the decline in the Roman empire was also synonomous with the decline in the Roman army. Having fewer soldiers on hand might contribute to equipping troops with longer swords in looser formations, and I also believe that spearmen became more common assets in the army as well. The spears, I have heard, were also broadly associated with the more defensive nature of the army's mission in its twilight years.

I am much more qualified to speak about general engineering principles:

Mechanically, the longer an implement is, the more leverage that can be applied to it. A short sword of poor quality will be much more durable than a long sword of poor quality, at least in a broad sense. Yes, if there is a grievous defect in the tang construction, etc, any weapon could fail very quickly regardless of the length. But, assuming uniform quality throughout the weapon, even with poor materials, the reduced amount of leverage, and generally flex as well, that can be applied to a short sword blade should help to contribute to the longevity of that weapon. So, even though there seems to be evidence (as given in other posts) of early swords featuring long blades with excellent metallurgy, would those have been uncommon? If they were in fact uncommon, an easy solution would have been to make shorter blades in an effort to reduce breakage. By the way, I will need to read Pleiner's book when I have the chance.

Otherwise, if you are an empire like Rome or are a well-organized power like Sparta, choosing intentionally to adopt a short weapon makes sense if you are tactically inclined to fight in packed formations. In fact, the same thing happens with the Landsknechts in Germany. The only long weapons that are well-inclined for packed formations are pikes and spears (though halberds should also be mentioned here), simply because they go in one direction only. A long cutting sword is a much better fit for the individual fighter in contrast.

The following is speculation:

...Perhaps due to the style of swords in the "ancient" period, especially when bronze and iron were in direct competition, long length just meant excessive weight. Many early iron, and perhaps even steel, weapons, were often made in the same patterns as bronze swords. If you incorporate a thick medial ridge into a sword and also give it impressive length, you have elected to make an unwieldy weapon, and I've not seen many examples of heavy pommels in use at this time. Producing a shorter sword, more akin to the bronze examples, helps to solve this problem. One thing I am relatively comfortable in stating is that, while the design of period weapons often matches the performance of the materials, with the advancement of material quality on a broad scale, the design of weapons also increased in general. The medieval sword is a very good example of this.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still don't see how any of this is relevant. We know for a fact that Romans and Celts used long swords. We know for a fact that the metallurgy of some of these was as good as anything produced in the Middle Ages. The only contention is a semantic argument about the meaning of "some".
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
I still don't see how any of this is relevant. We know for a fact that Romans and Celts used long swords. We know for a fact that the metallurgy of some of these was as good as anything produced in the Middle Ages. The only contention is a semantic argument about the meaning of "some".

Well, maybe not the only contention. For example you mean something completely different than most when you use the word 'longsword'. I think our ideas about metallurgy are pretty different as well. However i agree with the general implication that we are certainly at an impasse. As far as I'm concerned I've addressed everything you brought up and no doubt, a little more.

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:
When I post this, please keep in mind that I do so from a conversational angle, as I am not properly educated in this matter to make an informed position:

No worries

Quote:

I was under the impression that late in Rome's history, a significant portion of the army was in fact comprised of foreigners. These foreigners, who would likely be Germans or Gauls, were partial to longer swords. Such swords are certainly more suited to loose formations rather than the tight formations the Romans proper were famous for. I was also under the impression that the decline in the Roman empire was also synonomous with the decline in the Roman army. Having fewer soldiers on hand might contribute to equipping troops with longer swords in looser formations, and I also believe that spearmen became more common assets in the army as well. The spears, I have heard, were also broadly associated with the more defensive nature of the army's mission in its twilight years.

We always tend to compress Roman history a little too much. Keep in mind, it's over 1,000 years not even counting the Byzantines. The switch to the longer 'spatha' type swords happened, as the Osprey article I linked above pointed out, some time in the 2nd Century. That is early to middle Imperial, still a long way from the Roman Empire falling apart. For example the Romans did not withdraw from Britain until the 5th Century. Britain wasn't even conquered until around 80 and Hardrians wall was started in 122. At this time Rome was still conquering territory in Dacia and Mesopotamia for example. It was basically still expanding.

Now how much you want to blame the switch to longer swords on foreigners and immigrants is another issue. There were certainly Auxiliary units in the Roman Army and the foreign Auxillia (and cavalry) were indeed using the longer swords before the Legions changed back to them. However I think the Osprey article I linked reflects the consensus in military history circles: it really wasn't about that, and the legions themselves adopted the longer sword en-masse. But it's true that combat was always changing, the army was changing, and the Empire itself was changing. Many Roman citizens did not necessarily come from families originating in the Italian peninsula or even in the Mediterranean basin. So maybe in that sense you can make the claim that many non-Romans were using the spathas. It doesn't mean the Roman army was any weaker.

As for the formation, I recommend reading more about the structural organization of the Roman military. It was again, not declining circa 150 AD. Roman formations changed configuration, lets put it that way.

Quote:

I am much more qualified to speak about general engineering principles:

Mechanically, the longer an implement is, the more leverage that can be applied to it. A short sword of poor quality will be much more durable than a long sword of poor quality, at least in a broad sense. Yes, if there is a grievous defect in the tang construction, etc, any weapon could fail very quickly regardless of the length. But, assuming uniform quality throughout the weapon, even with poor materials, the reduced amount of leverage, and generally flex as well, that can be applied to a short sword blade should help to contribute to the longevity of that weapon. So, even though there seems to be evidence (as given in other posts) of early swords featuring long blades with excellent metallurgy, would those have been uncommon? If they were in fact uncommon, an easy solution would have been to make shorter blades in an effort to reduce breakage. By the way, I will need to read Pleiner's book when I have the chance.

Yes the longer swords were uncommon depending on what time you mean exactly. They started being used more in the period roughly 80-150 and after that were basically universal (though they still had nothing remotely like a medieval longsword or cut-thrust sword). Shorter is indeed what you want with poorer metallurgy and construction. For the Romans or Classical Greeks, the main weapon was always some kind of spear or javelin anyway.

Quote:

Otherwise, if you are an empire like Rome or are a well-organized power like Sparta, choosing intentionally to adopt a short weapon makes sense if you are tactically inclined to fight in packed formations. In fact, the same thing happens with the Landsknechts in Germany. The only long weapons that are well-inclined for packed formations are pikes and spears (though halberds should also be mentioned here), simply because they go in one direction only. A long cutting sword is a much better fit for the individual fighter in contrast.

You might want to follow the link I posted above to the 'bad war' etching by Holbein. You'll notice quite a few Swiss pikemen carrying longswords as sidearms, which was routine all through the 15th Century. The reason ? Like the Romans, Renaissance militaries had formations which could reconfigure under different circumstances. Formations also fell apart leaving individual soldiers to fight for their lives.

The tendency is always to simplify all this stuff down to almost a sound byte, but the reality is far more complex and nuanced.

Quote:

The following is speculation:

...Perhaps due to the style of swords in the "ancient" period, especially when bronze and iron were in direct competition, long length just meant excessive weight. Many early iron, and perhaps even steel, weapons, were often made in the same patterns as bronze swords. If you incorporate a thick medial ridge into a sword and also give it impressive length, you have elected to make an unwieldy weapon, and I've not seen many examples of heavy pommels in use at this time. Producing a shorter sword, more akin to the bronze examples, helps to solve this problem. One thing I am relatively comfortable in stating is that, while the design of period weapons often matches the performance of the materials, with the advancement of material quality on a broad scale, the design of weapons also increased in general. The medieval sword is a very good example of this.

No, not really. Iron swords (and daggers) pretty quickly had their own shapes and were being made quite differently than bronze ones. No casting, no bolting hilt to blade. Weight wasn't all that different anyway. The issue was metallurgy, and also the fact that the spear or javelin was the main weapon.

J

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reaction to this video?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: