myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ringmail armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I realize mail armor was still out of reach of most people but I wonder what factor in price difference there was. Do we see mail armor from this period a few percent more expensive than the next best set of mail or should we think in: 'this extremely well made mail is worth the same as a couple of similar sized garments?

As for this

Quote:
You just rinse it with fresh water and spread it out to dry.

What kind of air humidity is enough to dry it or do you mean drying it inside by a fire?

And Niels,

Do you know if the price of mail changed from the Vendel era until the Viking era?
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:
What kind of air humidity is enough to dry it or do you mean drying it inside by a fire?

Does it matter? If it won't dry by itself then you use a fire or you simply wear it for a while.

Quote:
Do you know if the price of mail changed from the Vendel era until the Viking era?

This question can't be answered. Even during the same period there are variations in the cost of mail.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Niels Just Rasmussen wrote:
Also a "cost-factor" is simply that Northern Europe climate is moist. So often when you are outside in your mail it will rain. I know from some reenactors that after 6 hours outside your mail gets stiff as a board as rust sets in fast.

Rust is obviously a big issue. I do wonder if mail was always left raw though, oil+heat=seasoning like you find on cast iron cookware these days. It won't make your armor rustproof but it helps a lot, it's durable and it's easy to re-apply. After the Viking Age we see mail in artwork that is shown to be various colors, all of which are achievable with oxides that naturally form at different heat ranges. While we normally think of seasoned cast iron as being black you can actually apply this stuff in such a way that it's mostly transparent and oxide colors show through, I use this on some of my training weapons. Wax is another possibility. There's a recipe for case hardening mail in 3227.a so in later eras we know they thought of surface treatments. It is possible that during the Viking Age they didn't and that may explain why mail is rare in the archaeological record from the time instead of building up for centuries as we know it did in later eras. It does make me wonder about what happened to all that Roman mail.

Dan Howard wrote:
Your vikings can't drive down to the hardware store and buy a bag of mass-produced iron rings. Anyone in that time who could afford a few thousand iron rings could also afford proper mail shirt.

There would be about half as many rings in an eyelet armor as there is in mail and they could all potentially be punched, perhaps these were the justifications for its known use in later eras. I bet they would be mass-produced rings purchased at the hardware store... or at least at the blacksmith's shop or from some trader. Consider shields, they seem to have been generally available yet incorporate a number of iron fittings some of which are fairly specialized. It would be very inefficient to fire up the forge to make rivets, guige strap rings, bosses and similar on an as-needed basis. It makes a lot more sense that there would be people who specialized in this kind of thing just like how we know from later eras that smithies often had a guy who just made nails all day long. Swords are known to have been mass-produced in particular centers of manufacture and exported all over so I expect it was similar with mail, especially if mail was worth a whole lot and in demand but only a small percentage of the population could actually afford it. You'd go broke trying to sell mail in a subsistence level local community and if you weren't regularly producing mail you probably wouldn't know how to make it or have the necessary tools.

Dan Howard wrote:
It is more like comparing a $150,000 sports car with a $200,000 sports car. One is cheaper than the other but neither is affordable by the average person. In order to equip one mailed fighter you need the combined wealth of multiple viillages.

I totally believe mail wasn't cheap and was only owned by a minority of people but where are you deriving this relative valuation from? Are you inferring it from the scarcity of mail in the archaeological record or do we have some kind of written documentation from the era?

Based on the labor, quantity of iron involved and defensive value vs total cost I'd expect a mail shirt to be valued at the equivalent of $10,000 or $20,000. I know if I had $200,000 of buying power at that time I'd invest in something that was relatively safe and yielded increase like livestock, land or structural improvements to the farm rather than sink it into a metal garment that will just sit around doing nothing unless I risk everything in battle and even then it'll only cover about half of my body.

Still, I'm not really arguing that Vikings used this stuff. The OP was about ringmail, something very similar to ringmail was actually used in the Renaissance and could have just as easily been made in earlier eras even if we don't have any good evidence for it right now. If Kevin's interested in ringmail I'd much rather he have the chance to experiment with something that was real even if not of the era than have his only conception be derived from a tv prop configured in an unlikely fashion. As a re-enactor thing yeah, stick to mail or regular clothes and a shield but the OP seemed to be more about experimenting.
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

Does it matter? If it won't dry by itself then you use a fire or you simply wear it for a while.

Well if six hours is enough to start the oxidation process I suppose it could. I think a prepared army with attendants would have no problem setting up tents and lighting fire but things can always go pear shaped. Two days of near constant rain or drizzle and you will be glad we got modern raingear.

Quote:

This question can't be answered. Even during the same period there are variations in the cost of mail.[/quote]

Well that brings me back to my other question, what kind of a variance do we see in roughly contemporary mail suits?
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a little insight into mail prices, consider this list of prices:
http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/medprice.htm

Mail costs 5 years rent on a craftsman's house, or 300 gallons of cheap wine, 1000kg of cheese, 2000 dozen eggs, 50 pigs, etc. Which suggests to me on the order of $10-20,000 in modern terms, based on what else you could buy with it. But people spent a much larger fraction of their income of food back then, so Dan's $150-200,000 sports car is about right compared to working-class wages. Unaffordable. Scale to costs of basics, or scale to wages, and you get a big difference in the modern equivalent cost.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As someone who owns stacks of mail and has mail at many museums as handling items and on interpreters I'll say this.

Mail that's used regularly cleans itself. Its self abrading, as Dan has pointed out. Mail that I've imported from Indian years ago that arrived greasy and black is now bright and shiny. Simply de-grease with a solvent, tumble for a bit with hardwood chippings (chaff/bran has been noted) and wear.

One shirt at the Tower of London that's been worn very regulalrly for about 8 years has links around its edge that are wearing very thin. Another year or two and i expect them to start shedding.

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Andrew Gill

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know that I'm beating a dead horse, but:

Since they were mentioned earlier, here's a link to an old thread about eyelet-doublets: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=222875
Some of the linked photos show what it looked like - lots and lots of very small rings/eyes, very closely joined together (one photo shows part of the doublet and some mail nearby, and the eyelets are much smaller than the mail rings). I don't know why this would have been used in favour of a coat of plates or brig, but I think that the combined effects of quilting several layers of cloth and the fact that the rings are so small and close together is what made it viable as armour.

However, most "ringmail reconstructions" (like the original poster's attached picture) use much larger rings than the eyelet doublet, with bigger gaps - if an arrow or strong spear thrust could sometimes break a ring or two in real mail and pierce a hauberk, the same weapons would make mincemeat out of someone wearing armour composed of similar rings stitched independently to a cloth backing with little or no overlap, with its relatively large unprotected gaps between rings. In short I don't think comparing it to eyelet doublets makes sense.

The cost arguement also doesn't make any sense on closer inspection. Whatever the reduced cost associated with using a smaller number of rings than for proper mail, it would still have been easier and much quicker to hammer out small metal scales and stitch them onto armour - and the resulting scale armour would offer considerably better protection than "ring mail" because the plates are solid and overlap. We know that for some reason the west and northern europeans didn't use scale armour in the viking-era, but it was widely used by other cultures and in other time periods, and the vikings of the varangian guard might have at least seen it. Other than eyelet doublets, the only historical example of anything even loosely similar to "ring mail" armour is a single obscure garment from somewhere in Asia.

So why would anyone bother to make a more expensive, time-consuming and ineffective version of scale armour?
Niels Just Rasmussen

Spotlight topics: 15

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Also a "cost-factor" is simply that Northern Europe climate is moist. So often when you are outside in your mail it will rain. I know from some reenactors that after 6 hours outside your mail gets stiff as a board as rust sets in fast.
Afterwards you can have the "fun" of oiling all your thousands of rings after a whole day in the field and know you have to do that day after day if you wear it on the march in bad weather conditions.
People who could afford mail could also afford servants to do that job exclusively for them. A poorer guy would be happy to have cloth armour instead of that extra workload I'm certain. .

Except that there is no evidence that cloth armour was ever used during this period. In any case, rain and moisture are an issue for all kinds of armour. One of the big problems with leather and textile and scale/lamellar armours is that they have lots of laces, straps, and stitching, which constantly need to be replaced. Leather and textiles rot to pieces far more quickly in wet weather than mail can rust. Their weight increases considerably when wet and they will freeze in cold weather. They also harbour ants and lice and are impossible to keep clean in the field. Mail has none of these problems.

Quote:
It's also the reason why Scandinavians quite likely didn't wear their mail when sailing, but had them wrapped to protect them from saltwater. Films with vikings jumping from ships into the coastal waters getting their mail soaked in saltwater.....good luck cleaning that afterwards.

You just rinse it with fresh water and spread it out to dry. Mail requires less maintenance than any other armour ever invented. Even with rust, it is only a problem if it is in storage for long periods of time. When it is being worn, it self cleans via abrasion. I'm currently making a mail shirt with rings that are bright orange with rust. By the time I have finished one row, the previous row of links are abraded nice and shiny without a speck of rust left on them.

You are off course right that we don't have any evidence for cloth armour among Scandinavians at that time period - I should just have written "thick clothing" as armour.
We don't know that either - but some mixture of animal skin, leather or wool perhaps?
It seems very likely that in viking age Scandinavian sheep had water-resistant wool as the race "Faroe Sheep" on the Faroese Islands has wool (the inner layer) that really is water- and dirt-resistant, because of naturally occurring lanolin.
So for instance sails were according to some sources woven from wool, which only makes sense really if the sails are water resistant! Having some kind of clothing/mail covered with water resistant wool is thus an interesting possibility.

Rinsing the mail and leave it to dry would do it? Wouldn't it just increase the rust effect to have the water evaporate as rust is oxidation happening when air is present? As far as I remember the few mail fragments we have from this time are low-carbon steel or iron, so rust would set in fast.
As you say it can self-clean by abrasion, but since only some of the mail would move with regularity (shoulder region) - the rest of the armour like on the back and the torso would go stiff as a board?
I just think that a rusty mail would be fairly uncomfortable to wear?

Last edited by Niels Just Rasmussen on Tue 08 Dec, 2015 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Ruhala wrote:

Rust is obviously a big issue. I do wonder if mail was always left raw though, oil+heat=seasoning like you find on cast iron cookware these days. It won't make your armor rustproof but it helps a lot, it's durable and it's easy to re-apply. After the Viking Age we see mail in artwork that is shown to be various colors, all of which are achievable with oxides that naturally form at different heat ranges. While we normally think of seasoned cast iron as being black you can actually apply this stuff in such a way that it's mostly transparent and oxide colors show through, I use this on some of my training weapons. Wax is another possibility. There's a recipe for case hardening mail in 3227.a so in later eras we know they thought of surface treatments. It is possible that during the Viking Age they didn't and that may explain why mail is rare in the archaeological record from the time instead of building up for centuries as we know it did in later eras. It does make me wonder about what happened to all that Roman mail.

That is a good question. If you could afford mail you could also afford bee-wax or extra heat treatment. Since armour was upper status is it hard to believe you wouldn't go to greater length to expand it's "life expectancy".
It is really interesting, why mail still is so very rare to find from the viking age. Either it simply didn't go into the burials (mail perhaps not regarded as "special" like weapons -> supported by the fact that helmets is also extremely rare) OR it is because it was non-treated and then quickly rusted away in the graves.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Ruhala wrote:
...It does make me wonder about what happened to all that Roman mail.

That is a good question. If you could afford mail you could also afford bee-wax or extra heat treatment. Since armour was upper status is it hard to believe you wouldn't go to greater length to expand it's "life expectancy".
It is really interesting, why mail still is so very rare to find from the viking age. Either it simply didn't go into the burials (mail perhaps not regarded as "special" like weapons -> supported by the fact that helmets is also extremely rare) OR it is because it was non-treated and then quickly rusted away in the graves.

I suspect that whatever was done to maintain mail while in use, that all went down the drain when the mail was buried! Acidic soils, decomposing bodies, etc. Wouldn't be long before it was a brown stain.

There was an excavation at a Roman site where a large amount of dirty lumps were ending up on the spoil heaps (discarded dirt). On a whim, the excavator X-rayed a few, and found they were all pieces of mail! Knowing how much was already gone (maybe even trucked away), he was somewhat aghast. It was a LOT. And completely unrecognizable without X-rays. So there may have been an awful lot of medieval mail which technically survived but was accidentally destroyed or discarded when found. And folks who study mail will tell you that most any museum has cabinets full of the stuff in the back rooms, because there isn't enough technical interest or funding to get it properly identified, catalogued, and published, much less displayed.

Matthew
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They aren't needed and, further, they are pointless. As has been said, mail self cleans through abrasion. Any low-tech coating you can think of for protecting it from rust will be very quickly worn away the first time it is donned. You only need to worry about oxidation when the mail is in storage.

Quote:

It only goes rusty when it is in storage. The historical method for cleaning when pulling it out of storage it is to put it in a barrel with bran and roll it for a while. It doesn't need cleaning while being worn.

Quote:

Matt is right that most of the mail we have dug up over the years is likely to have been mistaken for spoil and thrown away. I'm not sure how you equate being buried for a thousand years or more with "quickly" rusting away.

Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oxidation and polishing is a consumptive cycle, you lose a little metal every time and that is undesirable no matter what age you live in. You're also not going to abrade away a lubricant anywhere near as quickly as coarse, crumbly rust. Heck, almost all of my indoor cooking is done on a cast iron pan and part of the cleaning process involves vigorously scraping it with a stainless steel spatula or scouring it with a stainless scrubber.... it doesn't do anything to the seasoning. You don't have to take my word for it though. That inherent self-polishing action of mail is actually good for this kind of finish. The resources to do this would be constantly available and it works as well with animal fat as it does with plant-based oils. As a matter of fact Vikings are known to have cultivated flax, flax seed oil is regarded by many as the very best oil you can use for the seasoning process.

Even if we opted for some kind of wax instead all the rubbing would do is redistribute it, some would come off on the garment worn beneath the mail but that would just help weatherproof it. I'd be shocked if the Vikings weren't aware of the concept of oilskins. Ooh, then it would work both ways... waxes or oils from treated cloth would be picked up and redistributed by the natural rubbing action of the mail.

Whatever approach they may have taken it is hard to believe a Viking would spend the equivalent of $200,000 on a meticulously crafted mail shirt and then not take even the simplest of steps to protect his investment using materials that were readily at hand.
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

They aren't needed and, further, they are pointless. As has been said, mail self cleans through abrasion. Any low-tech coating you can think of for protecting it from rust will be very quickly worn away the first time it is donned. You only need to worry about oxidation when the mail is in storage.

Quote:

It only goes rusty when it is in storage. The historical method for cleaning when pulling it out of storage it is to put it in a barrel with bran and roll it for a while. It doesn't need cleaning while being worn.

Quote:

Matt is right that most of the mail we have dug up over the years is likely to have been mistaken for spoil and thrown away. I'm not sure how you equate being buried for a thousand years or more with "quickly" rusting away.

Thanks for your explanations Dan.
It actually really surprises me, that movement abrasion is enough to avoid rust and mail stiffness which would give decreased movement flexibility. But then I have not worn mail on a daily basis myself!
The story I had from reenactors having a stiff rusty mail after 6 hours outside in the rain was actually I think in combination with mostly standing guard and talking so they didn't move a lot!

About mail probably being tossed away (mistaken for spoil) - the Hjortspring dig (350BC) could have had a great deal of mail remains.
Here from Arne Jouttijärvi's article on Iron Age Mail concerning Hjortspring:
Source: http://www.gnom.dk/projekter/ringbrynjehistorie.pdf
"This find was excavated by Gustav Rosenberg in 1921-22 and today, there is almost nothing remaining of the material
deemed to be chain-mail. Rosenberg describes several square meters covered with heavily corroded material. But there is
doubt as to whether this was chain-mail, or a layer of natural iron separation formed around plant roots, the occurrence of
which can often be in the form of rings
."
Some other place (can't remember where) I found info, that perhaps 10-20 mail would cover the corroded area.

PS: My "quickly" was a geology slip of the tongue where a 1000 years is fast Laughing Out Loud
Len Parker

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Close up of eyelet armour with rings: http://middenmurk.blogspot.com/2015/09/body-armour.html I don't know if the close up is the doublet shown above.
The Japanese and Tlingit coin armour looks simple to make.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Len Parker wrote:
Close up of eyelet armour with rings: http://middenmurk.blogspot.com/2015/09/body-armour.html I don't know if the close up is the doublet shown above.
The Japanese and Tlingit coin armour looks simple to make.

It is simple to make once you have all the componenets, How much do you think it would cost for someone to hand make all of those iron rings from bar stock?

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Ruhala wrote:
Whatever approach they may have taken it is hard to believe a Viking would spend the equivalent of $200,000 on a meticulously crafted mail shirt and then not take even the simplest of steps to protect his investment using materials that were readily at hand.

Nobody is saying he wouldn't. Mail needs protection while it is in storage and wrapping it in an oil cloth sounds like a good solution. My point is that any attempt to rust proof mail while wearing it is a waste of time and counter productive.

Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it possible because mail e it was that mail and armor was an item that was passed down until it was worn out? It was item that the son would inherit from his dad and so on until it was just worn away from use and that is factor in it's archaeological rarity?
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 13 Dec, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:
Is it possible because mail e it was that mail and armor was an item that was passed down until it was worn out? It was item that the son would inherit from his dad and so on until it was just worn away from use and that is factor in it's archaeological rarity?

But you wouldn't keep using it beyond a certain point of deterioration. Once the rings are thin enough to start breaking too easily, it would be chopped up for pot scrubbers, or maybe buried with someone, or just chucked. There *are* ways to recycle iron, but I'm not sure just what the technical limitations of that were at the time.

Once in the ground, mail is mostly surface area so corrosion is going to run rampant.

Matthew

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ringmail armor
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: