Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Katana literally bounce of someone in plate armor no impact? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Rim Andries

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a slightly different impression of both the longsword and the katana Timo. Maybe that is why I assumed the outcome to be different as well.

In my mind a typical katana (if there is indeed such a thing, ditto for the longsword) weighs in at 1.2kg. A longsword at 1.4kg. Handle length in both pretty much the same. POB further from the handle in the katana. And most definitely a thicker blade on the katana! Not wider. But chunkier and heavier. With in almost all cases a spine that packs a whole lot of meat. Like really: it is super fat. Not only is it big but the thickness reaches far down the blade and far into the blade. It is much bigger then anything I have come across in a longsword suitable for blossfechten. Meaning an agile cut and thrust sword like a XV or XVIII. Whether it be in the edge, central ridge, point or base of the blade; nothing trumps the hugeness of a katana spine. At least, on average, not in the examples I have seen.

That is not to say that I expected the katana to be slower all of the time. Certainly not against the longer and bigger longswords. It is just that I have almost never seen a longsword that was faster. Or a bastard sword. It bugs me a little.

But I guess that is at the essence of the comparison anyway: people say you shouldn't compare apples and oranges. I say why not, they are both fruits. But your apple is not my apple. And your orange is not my orange. And regardless if we can ever determine which is better, most people will have a preference anyway. I guess I am just an apple kinda guy and I want to see my apple do well Wink

Having said that I would like to see a comparison of the two, whilst they share the same statistics in terms of dimensions. If we could find a longer and heavier katana (one that most people would still consider to be a katana) and a shorter and lighter longsword (one that people would still consider to be a longsword), I would be interested in the outcome.

Sir Dreamin'
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan was not saying that the katana was slow in relation to longswords. What he said was that the katana was a slow clumsy sabre, so if comparing stats, use a sabre, not a longsword.
I am pretty sure that if you put a hand and a half or 2 hand grip on a european sabre, you could whip it around like an absolute demon.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The idea with thrusting against plate is that you're trying to aim for areas that need to articulate and thus cannot be completely solid. The tricky thing is that most of these targets on plate are quite narrow. As a consequence, you need a sword that has a very narrow and acute point section to have any real chance of penetrating. Only swords like an Oakeshott Type XVa, XVII, or XVIIIa or b would have much of a chance. With a katana, you'd probably have to hope your opponent lifted his visor for better vision or ventilation and then aim for the face. Otherwise, trying to wrestle the knight to the ground and kill him there is really the only option.
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Dan was not saying that the katana was slow in relation to longswords. What he said was that the katana was a slow clumsy sabre, so if comparing stats, use a sabre, not a longsword.
I am pretty sure that if you put a hand and a half or 2 hand grip on a european sabre, you could whip it around like an absolute demon.

Fair enough. In that case a swiss sabre would be the perfect candidate. I doubt it would be faster than the katana. But I am getting off topic here (and have been for the past few posts Wink)

Sir Dreamin'
T. Kew

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sort of discussion is a good example of the critical limitations in just comparing mass and length. You really need to be looking at mass distribution and moments of inertia and so on to get a proper comparison going here, and that's before the issues in trying to define a 'typical' longsword or katana.

A few comments along those lines:

For a blade of equivalent mass, adding weight to the hilt will not make it easier to quickly accelerate the blade. You can only increase the moment of inertia by doing so.

Mass near the tip is what's really critical for this. A katana is thicker out towards the point, which counts against it - but the longsword is longer, which also counts against it. Which has more issue due to this depends a great deal on the exact thickness and mass distribution of the specific weapons being compared.

In the end, both are one or two handed cut and thrust swords used as versatile secondary weapons. Unsurprisingly, this tends to mean they're fairly agile and usable in a lot of situations without being necessarily ideal for specific ones, and so are pretty similar overall - there aren't major performance differences, because both are compromise weapons filling similar functions.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:
I have a slightly different impression of both the longsword and the katana Timo. Maybe that is why I assumed the outcome to be different as well.

In my mind a typical katana (if there is indeed such a thing, ditto for the longsword) weighs in at 1.2kg. A longsword at 1.4kg. Handle length in both pretty much the same. POB further from the handle in the katana. And most definitely a thicker blade on the katana! Not wider. But chunkier and heavier. With in almost all cases a spine that packs a whole lot of meat. Like really: it is super fat. Not only is it big but the thickness reaches far down the blade and far into the blade. It is much bigger then anything I have come across in a longsword suitable for blossfechten. Meaning an agile cut and thrust sword like a XV or XVIII. Whether it be in the edge, central ridge, point or base of the blade; nothing trumps the hugeness of a katana spine. At least, on average, not in the examples I have seen.

About 7mm is a typical katana thickness at the hilt. (6mm to 8mm would cover most.) Most antique katana are under 1kg, and on average are lighter than modern cheap repros. Many people say that the typical cheap modern Chinese katana doesn't handle like the real thing. But it's not unusual to see a longsword that's 8-10mm at the base of the blade. A longsword blade tapering from 9mm to 4mm is normal enough; compared to a katana blade tapering from 7mm to 5mm, it'll be as thick or thicker for most of the blade. Near the tip, the katana is likely to have more mass per unit length, due to having less profile taper, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the blade.

Considering antiques, I'd put the weight comparison at 900g vs 1.6kg; comparing good repros, about 1kg to 1.5kg.

Yes, katana POB is usually further out, but that affects the static feel of the sword, not how hard it is to swing (which depends on the moment of inertia about the grip).

Rim Andries wrote:
Having said that I would like to see a comparison of the two, whilst they share the same statistics in terms of dimensions. If we could find a longer and heavier katana (one that most people would still consider to be a katana) and a shorter and lighter longsword (one that people would still consider to be a longsword), I would be interested in the outcome.

Tinker longsword vs a typical modern o-katana (e.g., Cold Steel, Dynasty Forge, Cheness). I'd bet on the Tinker for speed. Take away being, say, 10" shorter and 2/3 the weight, and the speed advantage of the katana disappears. Equal size and weight, and the more tapered blade will usually be faster.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Kew wrote:
This sort of discussion is a good example of the critical limitations in just comparing mass and length. You really need to be looking at mass distribution and moments of inertia and so on to get a proper comparison going here, and that's before the issues in trying to define a 'typical' longsword or katana.

A few comments along those lines:

For a blade of equivalent mass, adding weight to the hilt will not make it easier to quickly accelerate the blade. You can only increase the moment of inertia by doing so.

Mass near the tip is what's really critical for this. A katana is thicker out towards the point, which counts against it - but the longsword is longer, which also counts against it. Which has more issue due to this depends a great deal on the exact thickness and mass distribution of the specific weapons being compared.

In the end, both are one or two handed cut and thrust swords used as versatile secondary weapons. Unsurprisingly, this tends to mean they're fairly agile and usable in a lot of situations without being necessarily ideal for specific ones, and so are pretty similar overall - there aren't major performance differences, because both are compromise weapons filling similar functions.

I agree. There are only so many ways one can employ a sharpened steel bar to hurt another human being. And only so many ways one can make a sharp steel bar. The similarities will obviously outweigh the differences. Still, the mind wanders sometimes and I can't help but to return to this subject every so often.

For the record, I thought I acknowledged the significance of other factors besides weight and proportion. However without turning a longsword into a katana and vice versa, it would be helpful to at least have some common ground in both of them. Hence the suggestion to find two swords of equal length and weight. Much like weight classes in combat sports. Unique characteristics (distal taper, edge geometry etc) should naturally be reserved for both swords, otherwise what is the point?

And please explain what you mean by moment of inertia. If you mean that this doesn't effect "top speed" as much as it does the ability to stop a sword in its track and redirect its path, or to get it going in the first place, then I agree on that point as well.

Cheers.

Sir Dreamin'
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So Timo you have basically encountered katana's repros that were heavier than their historical counterparts, and longswords that were lighter?

I find this strange because my experience is the exact opposite. I have handled some dozen antique longswords at the legermuseum in Delft (a personal highlight in my sword studies) and all of them were incredibly light. Much lighter than any Albion, Moc or A&A I have had the pleasure of swinging around.

I have handled couple of high quality modern katanas (I am talking blades that cost well over 2000/3000 euro) that were lighter then most statistics I have seen mentioned in articles and books. Unfortunately I have never held an antique, so there is that.

Sir Dreamin'

Last edited by Rim Andries on Sat 21 Feb, 2015 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think in this speed discussion, people are missing very martially important type of speed, mainly the amount of time of takes for a combatant to cover distance and hit someone. In this respect, the longsword in faster than the katana exactly because it is a longer weapon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGs36FPB_yo
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen this type of conversations and there are just way to many variables.

You can compare a specific weapon with another specific weapon, but that doesn't tell you anything that can be transferred to another weapon in the same catagory. Then you have to take into account the human element.

If you are well trained with a katana, you would know to thrust into armor gaps, and you could kill a knight in armor if you were a better fighter than he was.

But if you've killed a man with your sword, it means you have failed to kill him with a bow or crossbow, and then failed again with your spear or pole arm. The sword in both cultures is the equivalent of a pistol, a compromise weapon that is relatively easy to wear.

As far as shattering, one katana may shatter, one might be minimally scratched, it depends on the particular blade, the steel, the temper, the hit, the type and quality of armor, was the armored man moving into or away from the strike, what part of the blade hit, etc etc.

If you struck a katana against an unyielding object I think most commonly you would see the spine take a set, and the edge chip, but it would stay in one piece.

I will say that I think it's a wonderful piece of engineering. They are forged straight, and the lower carbon steel spine contracts more than the edge pulling the sword into the curve. So the harder slimmer edge is in tension when it's finished, kind of blows my mind.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
T. Kew

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:

For the record, I thought I acknowledged the significance of other factors besides weight and proportion. However without turning a longsword into a katana and vice versa, it would be helpful to at least have some common ground in both of them. Hence the suggestion to find two swords of equal length and weight. Much like weight classes in combat sports. Unique characteristics (distal taper, edge geometry etc) should naturally be reserved for both swords, otherwise what is the point?

If you compare a longsword-type blade (say XVa) and a katana-type blade, of equal length and mass, the longsword blade will almost certainly be faster, as the katana carries more thickness out to the tip.

Much more interesting is to compare a blade of the preferred and length for each weapon, but the same mass - the longsword will then be longer, but the katana probably thicker near the tip, and it's much less clear cut which is going to be less effort to accelerate.

Rim Andries wrote:
And please explain what you mean by moment of inertia. If you mean that this doesn't effect "top speed" as much as it does the ability to stop a sword in its track and redirect its path, or to get it going in the first place, then I agree on that point as well.

Cheers.

The moment of inertia is basically how much torque it takes to accelerate the item by a given amount. It's the equivalent for rotational motion that mass is for linear motion, and is based on the mass at each point and the distance that point is from the centre of rotation. As a result of this, mass out near the tip is multiplied in effect - a blade too thin at the base and too thick at the tip (common in poor reproductions with inadequate distal taper) might have the same overall mass as an antique, but it will take a lot more effort to accelerate and decelerate again in cuts.

Assuming that the torque a fencer can put in is constant, the moment of inertia determines the acceleration of the sword, and so is basically the key for how 'quickly' it cuts. It's also relevant for how easy the blade is to stop and redirect again - stopping a sword that's turning is just accelerating it in the other direction, after all.

The top speed in both cases is just a matter of how fast the person swinging it can move, and is normally fairly irrelevant (and uniform across swords of a sensible weight - the limiting factor is normally how fast muscles can contract). What's critical for how 'fast' a sword cuts is instead how easy it is to accelerate in the distance you have available.

I hope that roughly makes sense. I could go into the maths a bit more if you want, but it's probably overkill without specific example swords and accurate measurements of their mass distribution to compare.

One thing this implies as a side effect is that adding more mass to the hilt will move the point of balance back, but won't ever reduce the moment of inertia around the point of balance (or around the grip where it's held). So the sword 'feels' more balanced, but takes just as much effort (at least) to accelerate in a cut.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rim Andries wrote:
So Timo you have basically encountered katana's repros that were heavier then their historical counterparts, and longswords that were lighter?

I find this strange because my experience is the exact opposite. I have handled some dozen antique longswords at the legermuseum in Delft (a personal highlight in my sword studies) and all of them were incredibly light. Much lighter than any Albion, Moc or A&A I have had the pleasure of swinging around.

I have handled couple of high quality modern katanas (I am talking blades that cost well over 2000/3000 euro) that were lighter then most statistics I have seen mentioned in articles and books. Unfortunately I have never held an antique, so there is that.

You wouldn't happen to have weighed those swords in Delft (and written down the weights)? Their Knights & Landsknechts books is nice, but doesn't give weights.

I see very few longswords of below 1.2kg, with most above 1.4kg and plenty at 1.6-1.9kg (Wallace Collection has quite a few in that weight range, and some other collections where they publish weights). If one imposes an artificial cut-off at 1.6kg (calling the heavier ones "two-handed swords" instead), then the average weight will be lower, but the 1.6-1.9kg weapons are just like their lighter brethren, except for weight.

Does anybody make good replica longswords in the 1.6-1.9kg range? Sure, there are poor replicas at those weights, and heavier, but that kind of thing says basically nothing about the handling of "real" longswords. The Albion longswords are mostly pretty middle-of-the-road, the A&A are heavy, and other ones I've seen weights for tend to be light "performance" longswords. Maybe the various European makers push the average up; I haven't seen their weights.

I haven't weighed and measured an antique katana, but the few I've played with were light and agile compared to typical replicas. The average replica might be about 1.1kg, definitely over 1kg. Well over the antique average (the average replica is also longer than the average antique).

[We do mean the same thing by "longsword", yes? I mean "longsword" as it's usually used in WMA/HEMA, hand-and-a-half sword of approximately 36" of blade. If you mean it in a more general sense, I think there aren't many replicas at the light end of arming swords.]

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@tea kew. We seen to have the same ideas when it comes to moment of inertia, which is unsurprising since it is universal and scientific principal. In dutch we call it "(mass)slownessmoment". And indeed it deals with acceleration, rotation and leverage/torque among others. Now I was never a mathematical wonder so I needed you to refresh my memory a little bit. Thanks for doing so in such an eloquent manner.

Also, I like your statement about keeping the preferred length for both swords. Now that I think about it, it is obviously the better approach.

@timo. I am afraid I didn't check the weight of the swords in delft. It never occurred to me, as they were given with statistics already. I am also afraid I lost that information as well. I took a lot of pictures that day, including pics of the descriptions. Sadly these are all gone, as some random %÷€%&₩£# stole my camera from my car only a couple of months later. All that is left from that day are great memories and some sketches I made, but I doubt they will serve you.

Concerning the heavier repros: Pavel Moc makes quite a few of them. As does Jan from Ensifer. Mostly blunts. But I am sure both gentlemen are more than capable of delivering sharps, and have done so in the past. But just like you I don't see them often. And my knowledge/experience with antiques is rather limited unfortunately. Most of it is hearsay. Perhaps that is why my average weight come out lower than yours.

About longswords in general and if we mean the same by that...I think so. I would call the Talhoffer, Ringeck, Earl, Munich all longswords. Some of them are just a little over 1.4kg. I wouldn't call the Mercenary or Constable a longsword, though they are close (slightly longer grip would make them a short longsword imo). I would call the bigger Mocs longswords too. Some of them approach 130cm in length and 1.6/1.7kg. They would be especially suited for later period longsword work (as I understand that even longswords generally seem to get bigger going from the 15th to the 16th century). I would not call them zweihanders just yet: far to nimble (even in one hand) and they simply feel "longswordy", perfectly suited for the various meisterhau, even more so than their shorter counterparts. They look like longswords too. Not zweihanders. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Ps: light end of arming swords? You mean single handed ones? Aren't they well under a kilo at the light end of the scale? Im confused by this remark, since I stated that I found repros (longswords not katanas) to be heavier, and indeed have never come across a repro even close to the weight of an arming sword. Sorry if I am, in return, confusing you now Wink

Sir Dreamin'
Rim Andries

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yeah Timo, check Mocs pricelist for dimensions. His liechtenhauer is a beast of 140cm and 2kg!
His viollet seems to have grown too. Mine is from 2005, and is 1.6kg at 123cm. The new version is bigger and longer.

Sir Dreamin'
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John A. Brown wrote:
I'm curious though would someone in plate armor simply feel nothing?

With proper base garment you could hit my last breast plate as hard as you wanted (by hand) with any number of things and I didn't feel much. It was a nice CZK piece but noting amazingly special. In practice that's why you either go around it our use something specifically designed to penetrate the plate itself by concentrating force. That thing is not a sword (its more of a go around tool).

John A. Brown wrote:
Not even the kinetic force of the sword hitting the armor that would typically cause pain? Not even a shaky vibration or ringy sounds that dizzles you...

Wrong tool. In general the edge does not concentrate the force enough or the right way if you're talking about penetrating the core defense.

John A. Brown wrote:
That you are so protected by plate armor that if someone well-trained in swordsmanship whack in across the face while you are wearing a helm you have nothing to fear...

A human head is a nice bobble target. Worse your neck is not nearly as strong or as good at dissipating energy as your torso. Do you have a visor? Is it down? This all matters and if I'm hitting you in the face I'm going to try to work the blade through a slit (so point not edge). I'm not just whacking you with it. If I manage to slip that blade tip into your face you'll know it.

John A. Brown wrote:
...100 pound warhammer...

Only video games believe people can use anything this weight. If you find this hammer, its a part of mill or something. Not a weapon. I'd recommend some reading and research. Maybe at a library. Those still do exist. Even today.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tom Sasser

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The best answers will come from current practitioners of the various arts. The Japanese Sword Arts (JSA) have the advantage of a continuous line of teachers. WMA folks are recreating the arts. Both types of swords were made in the context of warfare and techniques at the time.

Jess Finley and Sean Hayes performing a harnisfechten demo at Longpoint 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ma1B2N8f54

Notice how they strike for the maile; they strike around the plate. The sword tips were very acute for this sort of fighting and could slip between the rings (and possibly break them). Edelson talks about this in his thread.

Mike Edelson's tests the performance of various European swords, a katana (not against maille), arrows and poleax against jack and maille. He also talks about the poleax and it's not very heavy--between five and six pounds. Stop and think: speed is essential in combat and overly heavy weapons are slow. Darwin is satisified Happy

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131

Various JSA clubs ran demos at SwordFest 2014 in Alexandria, VA. They talked about targeting, which included unarmored points and joints: thumb, eye, gaps at the neck and throat, palm, under the arm, knee and straps at the waist (I'm sure there are others, but that is all I recall). They did not talk about trying to thrust a katana through the front of the armor.
Neil Bockus

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a note, if anyone talks about a 100lb warhammer, or a 60 pound sword, or whatever, you need to throw the BS flag. The science behind it is: Mass = Volume x Density. We happen to know the densities of both modern and historic steels: roughly .284lbs/cu in. This is about the density of basic iron, and historic steels generally are 98-99% iron. So, too are modern Carbon Steels and Low Alloy Steels used for sword blades (mid-97 to just shy of 99% for 10xx, 51xx and 61xx). There is always a tolerance to that value, but it will adjust the weight by parts of ounces, not by pounds. Here's an example from a study I've been working on for the past 3 years that is still in a bunch of different parts:

"Let’s break the sword down into some component parts:

Blade: 38” long rhomboid pyramid with 1.5” sides and 3/8” altitude
Tang: 8” long rectangle 3/8” wide and 3/8” high
Cross: 8” long rectangle 3/8” wide and 3/8” high
Pommel: 1.5” Sphere

For all of these shapes, we will need volumes. First, that of the pyramid:

V = 1/3 x B x h

Where B = Base and h = Height

The base, in this case, is a rhombus. The Area of a Rhombus is defined as: B x A, where Base (B) is one Face and Altitude (A) is the perpendicular distance from the Base to the opposite side. 1.5 x .375 = .5625. The height is known (38"), so we plug in the height and the Rhombus’ area for the base:

V = 1/3 x (38 x .5625)
V = 7.125in3

Now that we have the Volume of the Blade, let us find the Volume of the Tang and Cross, which we defined as rectangular cubes.

The Volume of a Cube is Length x Width x Height:

Tang and Cross = 8 x .375 x .375
Tang and Cross = 1.125in3 (each)

Finally, we need the Volume of the Pommel, which we have defined as a sphere.

The Volume of a Sphere is 4/3π x radius2:

V = 4/3 x π x .752
V = 4/3 x 3.14 x .5625
V = 2.36in3

[...WORDS...]

Now that an analysis of historic steel compared to modern has been made and the approximate density of the steel is known (.284lb/in3), we can utilize this number as the density for approximating the mass of our steel artifact:

The formula M = V x D can be used for each part. From above:

Blade: V = 7.125in3 x .284lb/in3 = 2.02lbs
Tang: V = 1.125in3 x .284lb/in3 = .32lbs
Cross: V = 1.125in3 x .284lb/in3 = .32lbs
Pommel: V = 2.36in3 x .284lb/in3 = .67lbs

Total Mass: 3.33lbs for a 46” long sword with a highly tapering blade."

Most warhammers and maces that I've been able to find are somewhere between 2 and 3 pounds (single-handed), and longswords are between 2 and 4 typically (out of 36, average 3.34lbs). To make a sword or axe or hammer weigh that much, you'd need a massive honkin' head, or make the thing out of osmium, and you'd still have difficulty (D=.82lb/in3). The people who wielded these weapons couldn't afford them to be so heavy. They had to be light and maneuverable, allowing their user to fight effectively over a long span of time.

"The Sword of Freedom is kept sharp by those who live on its edge." - Scott Adams
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't believe you Neil. I googled the internet and found this picture of actual mid evil fighters and as you can plainly see, that one guy's hammer is huge and has to weigh close to 100 lbs and he does not look tired at all.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its because his hammer is magic...and yes there have been some actual sword vendors over the years who claimed special crystal properties in the steel that did make their swords magic. They were laughed out of all serious discussion and continue to generate ridicule even though they tuned that marketing pitch years ago.

So...his hammer is 100 pounds and he is not tired because its magic.

Samaria did not have magic swords so clearly knight wins. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Bash and abuse         Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

I've abused, used, tested and broken many swords in my years!

Albion, Atrim, del tin, Tinker, BKS, Mark Morrow, Hanwei, Some are tough some less so..

Ive tried so hard to pierce breast plates...cut them..
Crack them.. mostly all I managed to do was dent them..

Its just physics, they're to close in hardness and a person just cannot generate enough power to give a debilitating blow to a breast plate.

I think the reason this issue is discussed so much is we generally feel Katana's are special... that swords are magic...in some way.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Katana literally bounce of someone in plate armor no impact?
Page 2 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: