Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spiral Pommel - How to template the lobes. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

You made the comment describing the changing degree of twist along the pommel. I appreciate the generalization, but the exciting thing about this detail to me is that they vary dramatically. Naturally we are talking about a form of decoration common for 60 years or more. Without even exploring the wide range of departures (like branch pommels) or applied decoration, only looking at the simple spiral lobed style, I am really amazed at the range.

As you described, many incised flutes do start at the grip end of the pommel at a steep angle, but as I had mentioned, many also start off closer to parallel with the tang having only a very slight angle. Some maintain a gradual incline toward the tang button only straightening as they crest the crown of the pommel, others subtly recurve on themselves. For a single type of embellishment, there is a tremendous diversity of historic examples. This is why I wanted to be able to template a style quickly and try many variations in ink lines before I commited to carving.

My personal taste for pommels where the more abrupt the transition, or the more accentuated the waist is, the tighter the twist becomes, almost as though one was forging a twist in a tapered section, where the smaller cross section provides less resistance.

Best,

-Adair

PHOTO credits belong to Nathan Robertson and Hermann Historica.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect that one of the reasons that you find those examples particularly attractive, as I also do, is because they mimic shapes from nature. They are/or they mimic shapes resulting from the forging/twisting process.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I suspect that one of the reasons that you find those examples particularly attractive, as I also do, is because they mimic shapes from nature.

For those who are interested in following this up further, three good sources are

On growth and form, D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson - especially the chapter 'The equiangular spiral'.

The curves of life, Theodore A. Cook - this book is almost entirely about spirals, and includes chapters on 'Spirals in nature and art', and 'Some principles of growth and beauty', which are directly relevant here.

Shapes: Nature's patterns: A tapestry in three parts, Philip Ball

Each of these are only about $10-$15, and are not only a great reference tool, but also a fascinating read.

Sources like this point to the geometry and mathematical concepts that underlie (and can therefore be used to build) spirals in the same way that the geometric relationships of circles, arcs, vesica, etc can be used in sword design overall, as Peter Johnsson has been researching.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have finally gotten back to working on this pommel project. I had to rebuild my lathe to proceed.

I turned the profile and left it attached to the parent stock, then made several sheet metal templates to test different spirals until I had what I wanted. The process was quick and allowed me to get on with carving the thing. I've left the profile of the pommel a little oversize. I will cut the profile down again after the rough chisel work.

-Adair

Attachment: 167.27 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 169.42 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 135.81 KB
[ Download ]
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! Those sheet metal templates look like a good idea.
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks,

It allowed me to quickly try different curves and trace them onto the pommel blank. It's a more difficult thing to visualize than I thought. Even the current result is not as I imagined from the lines I drew.

It's a lot of fun to make these, and faster than I thought it would be. Chisels move material quickly and are well suited for the contours. I put this back on the lathe and added more taper. Now it is time to break out the riffler files and cut this free from the parent material.

-A.

Attachment: 173.9 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spiral Pommel - How to template the lobes.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: