myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help selecting a maille hauberk. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My advice is, as usual, to go for fabric armour given that modern mallile is simply far too inaccurate even if on the expensive side.

Last edited by Jeremy V. Krause on Fri 08 Jun, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
My advice is, as usual, to go for fabric armour given that modern mallile is simply far too innaccurate even if on the expensive side.

How so?
Of course there are some inaccuracies with it, (as there are inaccuracies with most reproductions of anything) but it is still riveted metal rings, arranged in the same manner as historical mail.
I just don't understand why with mail, people can become so O.C.D., worrying endlessly over small details, and come away convinced that nothing is historically accurate enough to be used.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jojo,

I agree, makes no sense to me as I am sure most people make textile incorrect in some way, shape or form as well.

Since we are not living in the medieval period there has to be some allowances made.

RPM
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jojo Zerach wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
My advice is, as usual, to go for fabric armour given that modern mallile is simply far too innaccurate even if on the expensive side.

How so?
Of course there are some inaccuracies with it, (as there are inaccuracies with most reproductions of anything) but it is still riveted metal rings, arranged in the same manner as historical mail.
I just don't understand why with mail, people can become so O.C.D., worrying endlessly over small details, and come away convinced that nothing is historically accurate enough to be used.

Well, if one is using the maille for SCA, or for a costume, then there could be a use for it. Modern riveted maille does provide some sound protection when combined with underlying fabric.

I am speaking of those seeking a more realistic kit or for those doing living history.

O.C.D.?
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still strongly disagree with that assumption Jeremy. Riveted mail of modern make is fine for LH and recreation and to me would be more egregious to no represent it at all than exclude slightly off mail as it was one of the more common armours of the period. Truth is my guess is unless one has handled a large amount of medieval riveted mail most people only have a very limited understanding of what original mail should look like. Even handling a dozen pieces will not give a good idea as mail has lots and lots of variation in it, even in one piece at times. I have handled many mail bits over the years, likely well into the hundreds and have seen links, rivets, and other aspects that are near identical to some modern riveted mail. Some even have interesting imperfections in them such as torn our rivet heads. I have seen people disqualify mail stating it is historically wrong to dredge up some Hi Res photos of contemporary mail that is very similar.

But the main point is this. Dropping mail outside of LH would be far worse than some one wearing a riveted shirt that has a more flattened ring or slightly larger dome head than the average period mail to me. It was one of the most common armours in use for thousands of years. Of course there are little issues and things are imperfect but if we adopt this stance for living history none but those who gather their own wool, flax, iron ore, etc. could do historic portrayals.

Now every one will have to decide how close to the original they can do for what ever limitations they have but if we set the standard too high we all better toss all our gear in the bin and hope we can figure out time travel or get good at iron ore gathering and processing, and a thousand other skills few now practice if any.

My only reservation for riveted mail is testing on riveted mail. And I even have issues with high quality riveted mail as material make is very different between medieval iron/steel and modern ones.

I am happy to see riveted mail is getting better all the time and that butted mail is not as common in LH events as it was ten years ago. Not that I had a disdain for butted mail but I see most riveted mail as looking heads and shoulders above it.

Now that said I think the light to no armoured gents in medieval warfare are under portrayed as well but especially if fighting in some form of sport, etc. might be less desirable unless one likes bruises and or pain.

RPM
Roderick Stacey

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
My advice is, as usual, to go for fabric armour given that modern mallile is simply far too inaccurate even if on the expensive side.

Why not make some maille? Then you can pattern it to the style you wish.
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So you're basically saying any living history person who's impression calls for mail can not do a historically accurate impression?
I think disqualifying reproduction mail on such small details is similar to saying reproduction plate armour isn't worth wearing, because it's thickness is to consistent throughout.
A Randall mentioned, many types of kits require mail to look accurate, and foregoing the mail only harms the look and accuracy of the kit.
I've seen plenty of good kits that used butted mail, and they were much more historical looking than if the owner had skipped the mail because it was not historically accurate in its construction.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jojo Zerach wrote:
So you're basically saying any living history person who's impression calls for mail can not do a historically accurate impression?.

Yes, that is what I am saying.

Jojo Zerach wrote:
I think disqualifying reproduction mail on such small details is similar to saying reproduction plate armour isn't worth wearing, because it's thickness is to consistent throughout.

This is a poor example as labor and costs today do allow for excellent plate armour reproductions- though still costing significantly.. Even finely fitting spring steel of a higher consistency than that in period does make for an impressive and historical appearance.

Jojo Zerach wrote:
A Randall mentioned, many types of kits require mail to look accurate, and foregoing the mail only harms the look and accuracy of the kit.
I've seen plenty of good kits that used butted mail, and they were much more historical looking than if the owner had skipped the mail because it was not historically accurate in its construction.

You have seen historical appropriate looking kits using butted maille? Really?

So, yes if the audience is standing more than fifteen feet away or knows very little regarding the appearance of period maille then kits using reproduction maille would look fine.

VERY fine modern reproductions of swords, axes, helms, pole arms, clothing, and plate can be done. The same standard has not been reached in the maille industry and due to it's very nature; I can't imagine how it could be.

Erick Schmidt does produce very nice reproductions of maille but it would cost many thousands of dollars.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It all comes back to what you want to use it for. Movies, theatre, ren-faire, LARP, educational presentations, wooden stick fighting, live metal fighting, historical research, weapons testing, etc. I had no problem with the PVC mail made for the Lord of the Rings movie. It looked great and didn't burden the actors. They had metal mail for the close-ups. Even that wasn't historically accurate, but it was perfectly fine for that context. I'd have a problem if someone brought the costumes to a school and tried to tell the kids that it was worn historically, or if they shot it with arrows and tried to claim that historical mail would have performed the same way.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
It all comes back to what you want to use it for. Movies, theatre, ren-faire, LARP, educational presentations, wooden stick fighting, live metal fighting, historical research, weapons testing, etc. I had no problem with the PVC mail made for the Lord of the Rings movie. It looked great and didn't burden the actors. They had metal mail for the close-ups. Even that wasn't historically accurate, but it was perfectly fine for that context. I'd have a problem if someone brought the costumes to a school and tried to tell the kids that it was worn historically, or if they shot it with arrows and tried to claim that historical mail would have performed the same way.

Great post. I can totally agree with this. It's about the context. Happy
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not using mail would prevent one from recreating almost any kit from the 11th-14th centuries, other than peasant conscripts.
I'm sure there are different levels of living history, but most of the LH armour I've seen has a lot of the same anachronisms common in SCA armour. Like independent 14th century spaulders that come halfway down the arm, lack of cohesion between pieces, and just way to much "Churburg armour" all around.
To me, it seems like there are many, much more obvious and easily correctable things that can be improved before criticizing small details in mail rings.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jojo Zerach wrote:
To me, it seems like there are many, much more obvious and easily correctable things that can be improved before criticizing small details in mail rings.

It depends on the small details. If you showed up to a school with Indian riveted mail and tried to tell the kids that historical mail looked the same then we'd have a problem. If you explained the differences between what you are wearing and museum examples then it would be ok. If you were wearing Indian mail to protect you during sparring then there's no problem.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If its not to far off topic, what mail would you recommend as the most protective and durable? This would be for rebated steel sparring. It seems like that welded stainless ring mesh stuff would be, but it looks terrible, and I wonder if the lack of weight prevent it from stopping a blade?

I would be thrilled just to find some mail that has thick enough rings and a small enough diameter that you can't see through it. It kills me to be able to look through mail.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
If its not to far off topic, what mail would you recommend as the most protective and durable? This would be for rebated steel sparring. It seems like that welded stainless ring mesh stuff would be, but it looks terrible, and I wonder if the lack of weight prevent it from stopping a blade?

I would be thrilled just to find some mail that has thick enough rings and a small enough diameter that you can't see through it. It kills me to be able to look through mail.

That's a problem I have too. The flat ring maille is attractive because you can't see through it, but the other hauberk comes with a coif, and I feel it would be easier to find a pair of chausses that match it in color and style, than it would be to find a pair of chausses that match the flat ring hauberk.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey Skriletz wrote:
That's a problem I have too. The flat ring maille is attractive because you can't see through it, but the other hauberk comes with a coif, and I feel it would be easier to find a pair of chausses that match it in color and style, than it would be to find a pair of chausses that match the flat ring hauberk.

You could simply spend a little more and don;t buy off E-bay, but buy off some store that you know you can get back to for a coif, chausses, etcetera. I get mine from Cap-a-pie (http://capapie.co.uk/) but there are plenty of other vendors (GDFB, KoA, Ice Falcon, etcetera)

The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not know if we should use seeing through mail as an issue. I can think of a dozen mail hauberks off my head that you can see through. Mail ranged in diameter and ring thickness which is what largely affects the density and if one can see through it.

You cannot see it so well, but enough for what I am saying, in this picture.

http://www.arador.com/gallery/maille.jpg

You can see the head through it and the red body inside, under the hauberk itself.

If you buy any where, but especially ebay, you need to know what you are looking for.

If you want something you can get over time you will likely need to be more selective as some of these ebay places might be less helpful and harder to match.

Chausses are hard to find, places that sell them tend to be a bit mroe expensive, my guess as they are not in as high demand.

RPM
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:

http://www.arador.com/gallery/maille.jpg

RPM

Assuming that parrying with the helmet is accurate though, it's very possible that the torso part was supposed to be covered with CoP/breastplate anyway, so some less density/weight was very logical choice.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bartek,

Are you then assuming that mail was made differently when worn with coat of plates in the 14th century? I have never seen any evidence to support this but would be interested if you know of some.

RPM
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid that right now it would be only (un)educated guess...

With all mail variety as far as dimensions of the rings go, it would make perfect sense for supplement mail to be not as bulky, after all everyone liked his spine cause he only had one.

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...detailView

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...detailView
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It might make sense but as far as I know we have no evidence for specialty mail except for hidden mail for day to day protection. I honestly do not know. From what I have seen there is no evidence.

That said there is the double mail question which may be less about lighter rings but more such as the British Museum neck/collar part which is 6 in 1. This might be an example of mail made for a specific function.

It seems the only shift to get rid of weight I know of that can be proven is the move to mail skirts and voiders from a mail hauberk.

Aside from these examples I do not know of any evidence for what you are saying. It looks like mail shirts were more or less the same excluding the possible exceptions I mention above.

There might be people wearing mail in layers but seems to be a middle east thing, though I'd like to be able to read the original to make sure it is not speaking of 6 in 1 but as it stands looks like they practices layering there, at least on the torso.

RPM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help selecting a maille hauberk.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: