Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Batman ninja vambraces, Historical or no? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Warren wrote:
Better broken than severed.

Technically you're right, but not I suspect, by all that much if you're in a real fight!

Then again a mild fracture might not be that big of a deal to somebody who actually is a fighter. My modern perspective might be biasing my point of view. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 23 Apr, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For reference I dug a really terrible photo up from the movie (Batman Begins) and I guess I can admit that the bat-ninja is wearing armor. Soooo... I guess I can also admit that the bat-ninja bracer/vambrace thing could work since it is part of an integrated defense system (armor) and I've really only been arguing against it in isolation. Never the less, even if I concede that point, the original poster is asking about historical authenticity/pedigree of the movie tool, not the functionality (a diversion I admittedly took us on) of the item.

Now does anybody have a photo of a museum specimen of lower arm protection with spikes on it? Action house photos? Period illustrations or even descriptions? I have not seen them (which only means I have not seen them) but demonstrating historical accuracy is a different exercise than debating functional merit (it generally requires some level of proof).

Attachment: 33.21 KB
batninja (412 x 278).jpg
bat-ninja bracer/gauntlet or whatever

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Jordan Harmon wrote:
In The irish wars 1485-1603 It has a Picture of an irish Kern with an Iron Gauntlet and it is described in the book as "Note that A2 wears an iron gauntlet on his left arm, used in place of a shield to parry blows; others wrapped their cloak around the arm instead." The description of the Kern is dated to the 1540's. While It's not exactly like the Ninja vembraces that batman used. They're somewhat similar in that they are used defensively.

BTW this is probably the best response to the original question so far!

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:
It reminds me of Roman boxing gloves. I know from hearsay that there are some speculations that these were modified with metal spikes and blades in order to get more visible effects in the arena.

Second best response I'd say.

Ben Welch

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Ben Welch wrote:
Actually the idea that you "cant" parry with a gauntlet is ridiculous...

Slightly off topic (not that we are really on topic) but this is one of the cruder uses of a straw man I've seen recently. Blush

I apologize if I sounded overly zelous, I didn't intend to offend anyone.
(by the way, how did you see this a straw man argument? I honestly felt it was on topic.)

On the note of the actual gauntlet seen in the film, I haven't seen any historical pieces, eastern or western witht he spike blade catcher. However the idea seems to be sound, if was actually put into use.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Now does anybody have a photo of a museum specimen of lower arm protection with spikes on it? Action house photos? Period illustrations or even descriptions? I have not seen them (which only means I have not seen them) but demonstrating historical accuracy is a different exercise than debating functional merit (it generally requires some level of proof).

Normally you would be right, but we are talking about Ninjas here, so absence of evidence actually works as proof, because nothing proves involvement of ninjas more than missing evidence. Razz
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not quite off topic...not quite on topic.But if you want one,here you go:

http://www.extremely-sharp.com/ninja-styled-spiked-gauntlets.html

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
In The irish wars 1485-1603 It has a Picture of an irish Kern with an Iron Gauntlet and it is described in the book as "Note that A2 wears an iron gauntlet on his left arm, used in place of a shield to parry blows; others wrapped their cloak around the arm instead." The description of the Kern is dated to the 1540's. While It's not exactly like the Ninja vembraces that batman used. They're somewhat similar in that they are used defensively.

Not sure why, since the only reference quoted is a secondary source. For a really good response of this kind, the citation in the footnotes/endnotes/whatever of the secondary source ought to be brought up so that we can check up the veracity of the primary source evidence on the kern's gauntlet.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found this at the MET site:

http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-t...amp;pos=14

It is described as a left hand parrying gauntlet .There is no pic so can't really say if there is anything unique about it.It would be interesting to see it.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Not sure why, since the only reference quoted is a secondary source. For a really good response of this kind, the citation in the footnotes/endnotes/whatever of the secondary source ought to be brought up so that we can check up the veracity of the primary source evidence on the kern's gauntlet.

True...consider it a post in haste trying to make the point that it at least brought something to the table other than opinion. Blush

James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At one of the Livermore symposiums years ago, I let someone hit me full-out on my left lower cannon with a rebated long sword. My lower cannon is in the Italian mid-15th c. style, PROPERLY shaped, if a little tight, made of tempered 20 gauge (0.035" thick), and worn over nothing more substantial than a couple of linen shirts. I seem to remember a little stinging, but it was a while ago, so I am not really sure. It did put a very difficult to see crease in the cannon, as I had over-tempered it a bit.
jamesarlen.com
Henrik Granlid

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being a geek and a martial artist allong with a general weapons nut, I feel I should add my fistful of cents to this discussion.

The idea of them as a blocking weapon in the movie most likely came from two things:

1. The actual spiked weapon that you could use to intercept (not block) weapon strikes with, as well as cause some nasty damage. The Climbing Claws known as Nekote/Neko te (Cat-hand), in essence, a reversed knuckle duster with sharp metallic claws/hooks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Thaserpent/neko-te.jpg

You kept it in the palm of your hand, allowing you to climb walls, suprise your opponent and intercept blades.

By "intercepting" the blade, I am talking about getting to the edge BEFORE it has gathered power. Every blade has that point. Before the final arc of acceleration is completed with the forearm and body movement, you can stop a piece of wood or an arm with little damage other than maybe some bruising (the more bruising, the closer to the critical point of "hehe, F-you" you are however).

In short, blade swings down, you reach up, lock blade in place with piece of metal in hand, you don't let the blade swing down and try to block it after it reaches Terminal speed.

2, The martial art they based Nolan-Bats moves on.

I cannot remember the name of it, but it has been in a few of the "behind the scenes" features floating around, in essence, you use your elbows, keep them high and swing your upper body around, this is how you enter combat, this is how you guard. Once you're ready to unleash, you're relatively close and strike with your elbows, knees, feet and fists.

Batman blocking with his forearms was established very early in the character creation by this.

He was gonna fight ninjas at some point.

How do you block swords with your forearms?

And the batbracer was born.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the movie, the guys fighting (opponent and Batman) are highly trained ninjas. They will have adopted the vambrace weapon because it caters to their particular style of fight. Theoretically, they will have practiced the type of block hundreds of thousands of times (and likely even more).

Enter Wolff's Law of Bone Density.

For once, we can trust Wikipedia when they tell us "Wolff's law is a theory developed by the German Anatomist/Surgeon Julius Wolff (1836–1902) in the 19th century that states that bone in a healthy person or animal will adapt to the loads it is placed under. If loading on a particular bone increases, the bone will remodel itself over time to become stronger to resist that sort of loading. The internal architecture of the trabeculae undergoes adaptive changes, followed by secondary changes to the external cortical portion of the bone, perhaps becoming thicker as a result. The converse is true as well: if the loading on a bone decreases, the bone will become weaker due to turnover, it is less metabolically costly to maintain and there is no stimulus for continued remodeling that is required to maintain bone mass."

Enough with the first year medical school lecture... The fact is, one reason people get badly injured is because they haven't worked that bodysite enough in the type of activity needed. I don't know if there is a possibility of a decrease in density for dependence on armour for protection, but in theory that would be possible too.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
.... I don't know if there is a possibility of a decrease in density for dependence on armour for protection, but in theory that would be possible too.

Seems unlikely to be significant, weight bearing exercise being one of the things that maintains bone density.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
Bennison N wrote:
.... I don't know if there is a possibility of a decrease in density for dependence on armour for protection, but in theory that would be possible too.

Seems unlikely to be significant, weight bearing exercise being one of the things that maintains bone density.

Good point. It would more than likely even out pretty well.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Mike O'Hara

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Stop-blocking a sword         Reply with quote

Hi all

Interesting thread, I have been following it for a while.

@Henrik. The name of the art is Keysi Fighting Method, a freestyle named after the two founders.

I agree with Henrik - if I really had to do this, I'd want to be doing an interception move so that the power was either spent (move 'after' in terms of timing) or had yet to be generated (move 'before'). I'd not want to try in the middle. In my mind that would be a desperation move.

cheers

mike

MIke O'Hara
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

keysi, so thats the style. i always thought it looked interesting. prefer it to krav maga anyway.

all this talk is making me consider making one and then testing it ( not on my arm though, at least untill i am sure that it would work).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Batman ninja vambraces, Historical or no?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: