Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me figure out my head for my kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jason Goldsmith

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for all the input.

Part of the reason I am going for the brigandine is I can wear it sans the rest of my kit, and use it while manning a ren faire booth (which is a related side project). Thus, 2 birds, 1 stone and very sexy to boot.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And be sure you're at a stable weight before you really start sinking money into this. It sucks to buy kit and over the next six months lose 50 lbs (well the weight loss part is nice). From what I've experienced there is just no way your hard or soft kit will remain useful through significant weight changes. There are only so many holes you can punch in straps. If you can't control your mass, whatever it is at the time you measure and buy, my recommendation is to find another hobby.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jason Goldsmith

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luckily, my weight hasn't changed in about 10 years, and won't likely change in the future Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing I always found puzzling is the idea that if it's Italian style armour it would only or mostly be used by Italians ?

But how about the so-called Italian export armour ? Wouldn't this means that it was sold in large quantities to non-Italians, maybe even Germans who might prefer the Italian style for some reason.

Sure one can look to strict period or regional criteria to choose one's armour, if one has good reasons to, like belonging or wanting to belong to a strict living history group, but if one is doing it for more personal reasons one can decide what level of historical accuracy one wants and what compromises one is willing to accept for financial or practical reasons.

The nice thing about the Mercenary Taylor's munitions armour is that one can use it and not faint at the first rust spot ( Easily cleaned if one does it with regular maintenance ) or scratch.

Not as good as a fitted suit of armour but Allan does a good job of making things generally functional and size may not fit all but it does fit most with a little adjustments. ( My upper leg armour was too narrow but with instruction from Allan I successfully opened them up to a wider diameter that now fits perfectly. Note the off the rack legs now fit my 28" thighs. Again, if you buy from Allan e-mail him some questions first about the fit of your armour and he can probably make adjustments. Oh and Allan is very honest and you won't get any B.S. ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jason Goldsmith

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ya, I am thinking more of a merc than a knight for my kit. Not a landsknechts, though. Maybe a swiss merc?
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what you mean you cant be a knight with munition grade armor.
I have arms and legs from Merc Tailor and fell like a million dollars.
But before saying one armourer is trash compared to others remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder not your wallet.
Allan does wonders in armor at a great price and his stuff for me is great. Its durable visualy pleasing and well probaly can take a beating far better than most armour out there.

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Jason Goldsmith

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Finneman wrote:

But before saying one armourer is trash compared to others remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder not your wallet.
Allan does wonders in armor at a great price and his stuff for me is great. Its durable visualy pleasing and well probaly can take a beating far better than most armour out there.

That was my sense as well, which is why i am leaning towards them.
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
One thing I always found puzzling is the idea that if it's Italian style armour it would only or mostly be used by Italians ?

But how about the so-called Italian export armour ? Wouldn't this means that it was sold in large quantities to non-Italians, maybe even Germans who might prefer the Italian style for some reason.

You're confusing two things: Local fashion and style & the region where the armour was made. Each region had it's own fashion, generally,but there was a lot of trade between regions. For convenience's sake I'll stick to the modern country names.

For instance, there's Milanese armour for the local market, but also Milanese armour for export purposes. This doesn't necessary mean that it's in the milanese style. There was also Milanese export armour for the German market. Hence, there are hints that there were large armour production centres in the Low Countries as well (Bruges for instance), not only to cater the Flemish market But also for export to other regions.
The Friedrich Kurfürst von der Pfalz armour is an example of Italian Export armour in the French style, if I remember it right. You'll really blow your top when you start looking into English armour, radically different in some aspects.
A lot of armour was even made in German armouries, in the Italian style for export to the Flemish market.

However when you check the sources we have at our disposal, you'll notice that bellows visored sallets and even barbutes are very little represented in the burgundian regions of ca. 1470, yet there are so many reenactors wearing them.
I can imagine why, it offers the illusion that it gives better protection for the fake fighting which goes on on modern reenactment battlefields, but I think it doesn't help improve one's presentation in a historical sense.

Quote:
Sure one can look to strict period or regional criteria to choose one's armour, if one has good reasons to, like belonging or wanting to belong to a strict living history group, but if one is doing it for more personal reasons one can decide what level of historical accuracy one wants and what compromises one is willing to accept for financial or practical reasons.

That why I've asked what he intends to use the armour for. The things you bring up are valid reasons, but if this really is one's passion then eventually you'll want more or want to do it better. Then, a lot of the money already put into it will seem like it's wasted. I've wasted a lot of money in my starter years, due to a lack of knowledge and by being stubborn and doing it my own way. When I started to do serious research I also started planning our my perfect kit. It took me a lot longer to get there and I'm still on that road, but I've learned to like that journey more than the instant gratification of buying everything at once.

Just another 2 cents worth..

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me figure out my head for my kit
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: