Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A period way on how not to get stabbed... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

He he I did that with the movers blanket! It made a quick and cheap aketon for WMA... not very historical but practical. I thought it was a bit thin so I lined mine with some pre-quilted linen/fiberfill they sell at the local fabric store. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdet...D=prd18961
Z
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Portapeice or Plackett...Can You Hack It?         Reply with quote

Richard Schneider wrote:
Harry J. Fletcher wrote:

Though not into the fenching with longswords thing, looking at the plackett or portapiece gave me an idea for making one. I have a movers blanket which is a rather thick padded coverlet that would be ideal for making a plackett. It would be a simple matter of cutting one up using a pattern and then stitching it together. You may consider this idea in the Public Domain since I do not intend to take out a patent for it.

I have been thinking about something very similar. I have found online a movers blanket, 72" x 80", 100% cotton to use as a material for a gambeson following patterns I found online. The patterns very possibly a link found here on myArmoury. My biggest concern is that, taking historical consideration, the zig-zag pattern of stitching would be out-of-place. It would, however, be an economical alternative. This movers balanket is only about $17.00. Added to my time and the challenge of a fun and interesting project peaks my interest.

What say ye all?

The SCA has done the moving blanket coat in the past (and I'm sure there are other folks that still do) You need to use a natural blend filling for a garment. The man made fibers retain heat and block airflow. Wool blankets work, cotton, silk, linen, et al are better choices than the "moving blanket" as it's made of synthetic fibers and you will cooking in your own juices.

@ Mike B. Why ask in person since we will be at the same event for 4 days 25 feet away from each later this week... when you can ask on the internet. Laughing Out Loud I bought it a Joann's Fabric a few years ago. I don't think they carry it any more. Mad

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have included a couple of links to the blankets I am looking at. They say "All Cotton" or "100% Cotton" unless they are refering to the outer shell only and the fill is polyester.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Moving-Supplies...-Sold-Ind-

http://moverssupplies.com/index.php/cPath/49
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My bet is all have polyester in them. Your second link there in fact states that ALL the ones they have listed have a polyester lining but a cotton exterior. Probably the same with the first link too. It doesn't take much more money to go down to the fabric shop and grab a yard of cloth and some quilter's batting. I know a couple people that made fast padded armour out of moving blankets and suffer from it. Getting back on the topic of just the plackett, it could probably work for just a couple in strip and you wouldn't notice that huge of a difference. However, those blankets aren't very thick at all and the whole idea of the plackett is to protect in the thrust, a thin piece of cloth seems to defeat that. Better in my mind to spend $10 more and make something that not only matches, but does a good job protecting, like what David made for his.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good advice! That's why I love this site.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A period way on how not to get stabbed...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: