Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > John Lundemo/Adrian Ko collaboration......... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Gus. I figured this was the blade we had discussed so it kind of piqued my intrest. Overall I like the look of the piece. Let me know how it handles, just for curiosities sake. It looks like it would be more of a chopper with the POB fairly far forward. That last point is just an observation not a criticism.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, on the other hand, dislike the etching. It seems too conventional and a bit to precise and does not, for me, fit a sword of this historical era. Too showy, not subtile, and does not look like any blade decoration I have seen in Oakeshott's Records or Archeology. Jeremy
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,
I dont have records yet but in archaeology of weapons,
looking at the war sword type xiii from river thames near the temple in london,c,1300,
and a couple of others i'm seeing what you mean,although before coming back to answer i had a quick measure of two of my own handand a halfs, the at lady ash came in less than an inch including the cord,but my heritage/white rose is a comfy inch by inch and a quarter,peg me in as a sausage fingered big grip guy i suppose, Laughing Out Loud
I thought the etching looked pretty neat,
though if the blade would have had the antique finish as mentioned it probably wouldnt stand out as cleanly as the polish emphasises the detail, imo,
a type xii river witham/lincoln pictured next to the one mentioned in archaeology still seems to show an inscription quite clearly, so if the lucky new owner of this one gets it a bit dirty, all good.
Cheers Patrick,
Hey Tim,
Good speaking with ya, Big Grin
Hey Gus,
if this goes as good as it look's,
Is this blade profile going to also come through your own line with different fitting's, or pretty much only via John at Odin's.
HI Steve,
Caught one of john's older posts elswhere while researching and he mentioned etching a design for someone but the stuff he uses is quite expensive just for the raw materials,before he does the work,different resists,uv affected and the like,a bit over my head but there's others here that can probly give you the full sp, i under stand the old wax way,but not the newer super accurate stuff, it seems an art in itself,
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I, on the other hand, dislike the etching. It seems too conventional and a bit to precise and does not, for me, fit a sword of this historical era. Too showy, not subtile, and does not look like any blade decoration I have seen in Oakeshott's Records or Archeology. Jeremy

I agree with you, the text looks way to crisp and machine like. I prefer the etched look of this cup hilt (pic from Hermann Historica)

John does sweet work! It's a beauty of a sword though... Just not to my tastes. Wink
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jul, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Well I can see........         Reply with quote

Yep, I can see why this sword wouldn't appeal to all. In hand, its a handful. At 3 1/4 lbs, its more sword than a lot of collector guys will like. However, it handles very well for a big sword.

I have to say that the photos, as good as they are, don't do this sword justice. The handle is not as wide as the photos would have you believe, actually, "fits" the sword very well. In the photos the handle looks like its over 7 inches long, but actual fact is that the handle is six inches long.

This sword is likely a single hand sword for guys like Patrick Kelly, Nathan and myself. But for a lot of others, it would definitely be a two hander........

The harmonic balance is as good as it gets. John's carrying out of the design, mechanically is flawless, as the dynamic balance is that nice too........Yes, there is some blade presence, but after all, this is a manly sword for a time when real men walked the earth {guys like our Patrick Kelly *g*}.....

The edge geometry is also real nice. I'm not sure that I would take a $2000/ $2500 sword to a barrel, but this sword, and edge, should be able to handle it, then dominate at the cutting stand {bottles or tatami}, assuming the handler is man enough to get it "up to speed"..... *g*

I personally like the aesthetics of the sword, including the lettering in the fullers, but I'll leave the worrying about the art part of the sword to the more aesthetically inclined.....

On the "mechanical" side of the sword, or "functional" side of the sword though, I think its done as well as anyone today does it. Its done as well as I can do it {harmonic balance, dynamic balance, over all handling}, and in my somewhat arrogant opinion, there's only a small number of kustom smiths that can do this, this well consistently...

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jul, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: John Lundemo/Adrian Ko collaboration.........         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I saw this over on SFI.

Apparently this is a joint effort between John and Adrian, utilizing an Atrim blade.

I think the grip is a little thick. A narrower grip would help the flow of the swords aesthetic line, and I don't care for a mirror polish. However, these are just issues of personal preference. The etching is very nicely done. Overall I think it's a very nice effort.

The overall line of the sword looks very much like XIIIa.5 on page 101 of Oakeshotts Records of the Medieval Sword. I've always liked the look of that one.

Here's the complete thread:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...adid=37110

Not bad...

What's funny is that Adrian remarked about how one of the Next Gen's was too polished for his taste. Seems a little contradictory to me. Anyway, it's nice to see John make some more historically accurate pieces these days.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jul, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: John Lundemo/Adrian Ko collaboration.........         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I saw this over on SFI.

Apparently this is a joint effort between John and Adrian, utilizing an Atrim blade.

I think the grip is a little thick. A narrower grip would help the flow of the swords aesthetic line, and I don't care for a mirror polish. However, these are just issues of personal preference. The etching is very nicely done. Overall I think it's a very nice effort.

The overall line of the sword looks very much like XIIIa.5 on page 101 of Oakeshotts Records of the Medieval Sword. I've always liked the look of that one.

Not bad...

What's funny is that Adrian remarked about how one of the Next Gen's was too polished for his taste. Seems a little contradictory to me. Anyway, it's nice to see John make some more historically accurate pieces these days.

In Adrians defense.......... If you read his write up over at SFI, his original design for this sword called for the whole sword to be antiqued..................

while John was making this sword, they guy that wanted to buy it requested that it NOT be antiqued, but high polish finish.
So the polish level was the buyers choice, not a original design.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jul, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: John Lundemo/Adrian Ko collaboration.........         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I saw this over on SFI.

Not bad...

Personally, considering the fact that Adrian actually wanted the finish of this sword different than it wound up, I don't find that strange at all......

Adrian really does like "functional" art, but he's been exposed to, too many folks that like to use their swords on a daily basis, so that polishing swords to this level kind of takes that away......

I'm familiar with the overall blade geometry {after all I designed and made the blade}, and the edge geometry. This sword would make a great user, for those that like XIIIa's. However, the finish would suffer scratches, and I doubt the owner would really appreciate that.....

*g*

Yeah, the Next Gens may have hilt finish' on a par with this sword, and they are also real functional.....But how many of them are every day users? They're quite capable of it, but how many owners want to risk scratching them up? I'm sure that's where Adrian is coming from, not that he dislikes the finish of them.....

Personal preference' are just that, personal preference'. We all have them.........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: John Lundemo/Adrian Ko collaboration.........         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Gary Grzybek wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
I saw this over on SFI.

Not bad...

Personally, considering the fact that Adrian actually wanted the finish of this sword different than it wound up, I don't find that strange at all......

Adrian really does like "functional" art, but he's been exposed to, too many folks that like to use their swords on a daily basis, so that polishing swords to this level kind of takes that away......

I'm familiar with the overall blade geometry {after all I designed and made the blade}, and the edge geometry. This sword would make a great user, for those that like XIIIa's. However, the finish would suffer scratches, and I doubt the owner would really appreciate that.....

*g*

Yeah, the Next Gens may have hilt finish' on a par with this sword, and they are also real functional.....But how many of them are every day users? They're quite capable of it, but how many owners want to risk scratching them up? I'm sure that's where Adrian is coming from, not that he dislikes the finish of them.....

Personal preference' are just that, personal preference'. We all have them.........

Auld Dawg

I understand...

It's just that the sword in the picture gave me the impression that it was the standard model and it appears to have an even higher degree of polish than the Next Gens. So in a sense it's a little misleading. My descision to go with a more historically accurate cutting sword is not an easy one. It's a compromise between a high end collectors piece and a working tool. It's an expensive choice but a good one I beleive. I will probably only use two for cutting and the rest for lookers anyway Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: John Lundemo/Adrian Ko collaboration.........         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:

I understand...

It's just that the sword in the picture gave me the impression that it was the standard model and it appears to have an even higher degree of polish than the Next Gens. So in a sense it's a little misleading. My descision to go with a more historically accurate cutting sword is not an easy one. It's a compromise between a high end collectors piece and a working tool. It's an expensive choice but a good one I beleive. I will probably only use two for cutting and the rest for lookers anyway Big Grin

Hi Gary

I figured you'd understand..... I know several people now that own NG's and they all seem reluctant to scratch them up.....*g*

I think its the cost and finish.....

And that sword that this thread is about, is a one off piece, already owned. Will it be a "model" down the road? I don't know, I'm not in Adrian's and John's loop, I'm just the dummy that supply's the basic blade.........

But if it was me, I wouldn't want to scratch this particular piece up either. It was sent to me with the understanding I could test it a bit, but after looking it over real good, there's no way this will meet a target while in my care....

I think if they decide to produce a real model out of it, a limited production kind of thing, the finish will be more satin, and the writing will be optional. That would get the finish and cost in the NG range, and make it a more likely candidate for real use..........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the input on this sword. Once again, overall I really like it. It's nice to see something of a more historical nature from John. (Not that I dislike his fantasy stuff, in fact, I like it very much.) It's also nice to see an Atrim brought up to a presentation level of finish. Not neccesarily my thing, but it is nice to see it done. This sword also needs a nice scabbard to go with it.

In regards to the NG's finish, I relly think that this type of satin finish is the perfect happy medium. It's historically accurate, awfully nice looking, but still practical. I've done some cuting with the Museum Line and NG prototypes, my Big Johnsson, as well as the two newest NG's that I now have. If sensible cutting materials are used the finish won't suffer and is easily maintained. Now if a guy wants to bash plywood, metal drums, or pole mounted helmets, then all bets are off.

Other than that I don't see a lot of sparring going on with them. That will lead to some damage over time, and there are cheaper alternatives for those pursuits, and they are sharp too *g*

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > John Lundemo/Adrian Ko collaboration.........
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: