Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2008 Olympics Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To touch a bit on some of Justin's comments, I think that directors and the FIE are as much to blame as coaches are, but agree that electric scoring is a huge problem. I'll start with the scoring first. The original idea of the electric scoring was simply to determine whether there was a touch or not, and reduce errors on the part of the director. I don't necessarily have a problem with this part. In my opinion, the problem comes in when an electronic close out is introduced, because that is a discrete measurement of time, rather than a relative measure of fencing tempo. This is particularly exacerbated in sabre, in which the close out is so short that the remise often closes out the counter parry and riposte. If you watch the Beijing sabre bouts, you can see that most attacks are first intention, with only a few parry ripostes.

As for coaches, directors, and the FIE, we need to look at each's role. The FIE set the rules, and tweaks them periodically in an attempt to resolve different problems. They have clearly moved fencing down the path of a sport, and away from it's martial heritage. The role of a coach is to help someone win the game, and since death or maiming is no longer likely, coaches have reasonably moved on to the goal of getting more points. They are doing their job. The directors are caught in the middle, between enforcing rules on one hand and keeping up with what fencers are doing on the other. Let's look at just one example: the flick. Many (if not most) directors will give a fencer the right of way, even with a bent elbow and the point completely off target because the fencer is threatening the opponent with a flick (and a flick is still technically an attack with the point). Remembering that modern fencing is a game, and that flicks actually work there, this is a reasonable judgment call. But it *really* changes the game, because now just about any movement can be considered a threat.

I prefer a fencing that is closer to its martial heritage, but have been involved enough in the sport to no longer believe that "there is only one fencing." The sport has moved too far away and changed to much. Martially, you want to hit and not get hit, but in the sport you just need to hit first. That's a big difference to me. On a closing note though, even though I no longer teach sport fencing, I still teach at a predominantly sport club, and I see a lot of kids and teenagers having a lot of fun, and getting to travel all over the country and the world to compete. That's pretty neat. Also about 3/4 of our team get some sort of fencing scholarship for college, which is nothing to shake a stick at. One of our former fencers (on the team before he left for college) is now the men's sabre alternate at the olympics. I'm not sure I've beaten him in a bout since he was 14 :-)

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a link to a little bit of "classical" fencing from Riefenstahls "Olympia" They show some saber in the last 15 seconds of the clip. If modern sabre looked like that I would have no complaints!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EsZgZFZqA

inkothemgard!
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: 2008 Olympics         Reply with quote

My mistake. I thought this thread only discusses all the 2008 Olympic events in general. But it's about fencing. I'm not into that event.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2008 Olympics         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
My mistake. I thought this thread only discusses all the 2008 Olympic events in general. But it's about fencing. I'm not into that event.

Fencing is just about the only Olympic sport that could be discussed on this site. Even posts in the Off-Topic Talk forum should have something to do with the study of historic arms and armour.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Here is a link to a little bit of "classical" fencing from Riefenstahls "Olympia" They show some saber in the last 15 seconds of the clip. If modern sabre looked like that I would have no complaints!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EsZgZFZqA

Nice find, Morgan! And you'll get no argument from me: I truly wish Sabre still looked like that.

At WMAW, Maestro Sean Hayes and Puck Curtis did a demo bout of classical "epee" (well, Italian duelling sword), and it was one of the most amazing bouts I've ever seen in my life. Epee today looks nothing like that... and neither does the current state of historical swordsmanship (we have a lot of work to do before anyone fights as cleanly as they did).

But much as I dislike the direction the modern sport has gone, I do very much agree with Eric: I teach at an academy full of kids who absolutely love it, some of which get the opportunity to travel around and compete. Some of which have gotten full scholarships into colleges. I may not care for how the sport has evolved myself, but it clearly has an appeal to a lot of people.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone else really want to see Olympic longsword fencing and/or Olympic jousting? Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Does anyone else really want to see Olympic longsword fencing and/or Olympic jousting? Happy

Yes! And I wouldn't complain about sword and buckler, either Wink

I'm in the "very much unimpressed" group with respect to modern sabre fencing. Mariel might be from the town next door, but that just wasn't very interesting to watch...
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Yes but only if the " judging " doesn't devolve to Icedancing levels and whatever rules used to score points are close to realistic ! Although any sports version will tend to lose it's martial arts nature by definition !?

Hmmmmm ...... Two/three ways to go there:

1) Rules that try to determine a winner in simulated combat and more or less diluted by having to have a points system.

2) Rules that would give points for " style " good execution of the techniques ! This might resemble the Icedancing analogy.

3) Trying to combine both making good technique and scoring a " Kill " or a " Wounding " and negative points for mutual kills so that making a hit using something that would be suicidal in a real fight cancels out the bout or even reduces the ranking in a series of matches between numerous participants.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Singlestick was in the first modern olympics, I'd love to see that come back!

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Eek! That would be fantastic!

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm all for Olympic cut and thrust and or Olympic Rapier and Dagger.
inkothemgard!
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not think any form of fencing is historical in any way. The point of medieval swordfighting was to kill people the point of fencing is to score a touch. I fence competitively and will say this it is a fun sport but is not medieval sword fighting. I would say American football is closer to medieval combat because you tackle people Wink
Saber is my favorite and in my mind the most "medieval" because you can cut as well. Medieval rapier was %90 point work but a cut was not wrong and was also done. watching Guy Windsor train Rapier opened my eyes to its basis in street fighting it is really just about killing your opponent by executing perfect technique.
I say bravo to the fencers that won for there swift stick fighting, but i do not think it was or will ever be swordfighting.
One of the winners was only 18 Bravo! Bravo!
I really want to see the olympic archery as that has its basis back to before christ!!!!!

PLEASE NOTE: These are just my opinions and not meant to be facts or instigators of arguments.

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:
I do not think any form of fencing is historical in any way. The point of medieval swordfighting was to kill people the point of fencing is to score a touch. I fence competitively and will say this it is a fun sport but is not medieval sword fighting. I would say American football is closer to medieval combat because you tackle people Wink

Remember the root of "fencing" is "defence"--it is a term older than the "modern" sport of fencing (by modern I mean 1900 and after). Now if you're talking about modern sport fencing--it isn't historical, because it's contemporary. However, even the modern sport has its roots in the type of fencing used in duels up to the early 1900s.

Chase S-R wrote:
Saber is my favorite and in my mind the most "medieval" because you can cut as well. Medieval rapier was %90 point work but a cut was not wrong and was also done. watching Guy Windsor train Rapier opened my eyes to its basis in street fighting it is really just about killing your opponent by executing perfect technique.

The rapier was actually a Renaissance (or even post-renaissance) weapon, the reason why a cut wasn't wrong was because the weapon had an edge. However, the smallsword didn't have an edge, neither did the sharp epee, and usually neither did the dueling sword--it wasn't that the cut was "wrong" it was a matter of a cut being useless with a weapon that had only a sharp point.

One thing important to understand is that sport has always been an important aspect of swordmanship--nearly every extant treatise we have makes at least some reference to the sport swordsmanship of its day--and there is pretty strong evidence that people played to the rules then, too. The only real difference between then and now from the point of view of the dichotomy of sport vs. "real" swordsmanship was that historically, the two existed pretty closely as two parts of a whole--that is, the system used for sport was a piece of the whole which also included the system for sharps; now they have branched and specialized so they are, for the most part, two separate systems. I suspect that most of us who lament the state of modern fencing do so because it no longer resembles a martial art.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:
I say bravo to the fencers that won for there swift stick fighting, but i do not think it was or will ever be swordfighting.
One of the winners was only 18 Bravo! Bravo!
I really want to see the olympic archery as that has its basis back to before christ!!!!!

PLEASE NOTE: These are just my opinions and not meant to be facts or instigators of arguments.

Just as a counter argument my longsword group's way of training is specifically non-sport or competitive and even when we bout or duel a major or minor wound is called to end a fight but no winner or loser is " officially designated ".

A more " competitive " version might try to factor in a scoring system but it should be based on the best guess as who would have won a real fight. I will concede that modern fencing is a sport or a game with it's own internal logic and rules and these have seriously diverged from anything resembling a martial art: Nothing wrong with it except that for me simulated combat is more interesting than a game. Wink Big Grin Although, we do not take it so seriously that we actually think we are training for a life or death situation and we are playing and having fun, it's just that it's more fun for us if we try to only use techniques that would work in a real fight.

AND AS YOU SAID: No argument meant except in the sense of " argument " meaning an interesting exchange of ideas. Wink Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Marc Pengryffyn

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll certainly second the idea of reviving singlestick as an olympic sport! But unless there's a bit more interest in it, or in longsword or any of the other more historical fencing styles, I think our chances are slim at best....

Many, many moons ago I was a competitive fencer in all three weapons, with saber my favorite. I loved the speed of it, the fact that it wasn't [then] electrified, and the fact that it included both cut and thrust. There was another sabreur I often fenced against who had the most exquisite style. I remember watching him once perform a magnificent double cut, the first a scalping cut across the top of the mask, followed on the backstroke with a disembowel across the stomach. I stood and applauded! (which got me some odd looks from the other competitors). It was pure backsword drill. Lovely to see, but it still only gets you one point.....

I joined the SCA while I was still fencing, and actually started using wraps in saber bouts. They were extremely effective! I only used them occasionally, and refused to explain to my opponents how on earth I was getting past their parries. I also started studying historical fencing, with the limited materials then available, and was able to incorporate the occasional bit of fancy work. I especially liked the passata sotto, and was ecstatic to see Mandy Potinkin use it in The Princess Bride! Sadly poor health brought my fencing career to a halt....

As others above have noted, the modern sport is about scoring points, not style. I don't know how that can be changed without introducing style judging, with all its accompanying politics and subjectivity, and IMO that'd be even worse. You can turn a martial art into a sport, but I think you inevitably lose a lot of the martial application in the process.

marc

Tradition is the illusion of permanence.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Modern saber technique in my opinion has the least actual amount of "fencing" in it of the 3 weapons. When an American gets a medal for foil or epee' then there will be something to shout about. But probably not in this lifetime.

Actually, Team USA just got the Silver in Fencing last Sunday. I believe it was with sabers, but it still counts among our 82 medals (and counting!) up to this point. I'd say that's worth shouting about!

And to Chad's inquiry about jousting or longsword: I'd rather see that than badminton or table tennis!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2008 Olympics
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: