Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Announcing SwordWiki Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mark Morris

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A lot of people have put in a lot of work to make this site an extraordinary reference site. I love MyAmoury. When I first became interested in sword collecting I found this site and was quickly won over by the courteous, intelligent discussion and well researched articles.
I also feel that we get some pretty well informed viewpoints and even scholarly material here.

Frankly, taking this work and putting it on that wiki site is stealing in my opinion.
The people who did the work and maintain this site should reap whatever reward there is for that. Even if it is just the satisfaction of serving their community.
One can also submit articles to this site but they must be vetted first. That's a good thing. It raises the quality of the work to know one is going to be edited.
Wikis are fine. I use Wikipedia as a general resource quite often. But myArmoury is my sword reference site and a pretty good one if you ask me.
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, putting articles from myArmoury on another site is stealing, and it will not be tolerated on SwordWiki. Some articles will be redundant, but certainly not the same.

I never said that we would be doing any copy-paste. There are links to myArmoury and that is it.
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is SwordWiki going to include other types of weapons (axes, maces, polearms, spears, crossbows, bows etc) or is just purely for bladed weapons (swords and daggers / knives)?

There are so many books and resource dealing with swords, however there isn't a lot that deals with other weapons.

Also is SwordWiki just going to focus on medieval / renaissance weapons or is it hoping to expand to the ancient world (Rome / Greece / Celts etc) and the modern world (19th to 20th century) - weapons of the world wars like Trench Knives and Trench clubs etc?

Thanks

Danny.
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think pre-modern edged weapon articles would be fine. If somebody were to write a good article on halberds, for instance, I would not delete it. But the focus is certainly swords. Ancient swords are of course welcome too.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll bring this up on my bronze age forum.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stirling Matheson wrote:
I think pre-modern edged weapon articles would be fine. If somebody were to write a good article on halberds, for instance, I would not delete it. But the focus is certainly swords. Ancient swords are of course welcome too.

Agreed, especially since alternate weapons can be closely related in one way or another. Various combat systems, for instance, may teach use of spear and poleaxe as well as sword, so I see no need to discriminate where a natural connection can be made. Also, many of the manufacturers have product lines in these areas, so it makes sense to include those products in the wiki for the sake of completeness.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been updating information and graphics for some of the sword parts and blade characteristics here... http://swordwiki.org/wiki/European_Sword_Terminology

Anyone want to check my work for mistakes?

Putting information in for individual sword models is certainly arduous, but I hope we can at least get the more general information put together as a strong foundation. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Announcing SwordWiki
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: