Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN's Custom Shop Project with Jean Thibodeau Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HURRAY!!!! I am Very Glad for Jean, Mark and you Matt, and all your discriminating customers of high caliber taste Exclamation

Maybe you should take this sample that bent 85 degrees and sprung back to perfection, over to your former heat treater and tell them "this is the result of professional heat treating! Laughing Out Loud

Congratulations! This is wonderful news!

Bob
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a suggestion: Remove the lower end of the sabered blade, round off the new tip and grind it very thin (so that the fuller fades out a few inches from the tip) and make a Katzbalger. See these examples from Arma Bohemia and A&A. The A&A's blade is only 19". Looks like you could salvage that much from the sabered blade. I would also second Jean's alternate suggestion about using the distal end for a cinqueda or coustille, taking the tang from the fullered area of upper part of the blade. There are some wonderful possibilities for that beautiful, if bent, blade.

Attachment: 39.55 KB
EP34v2.jpg

Attachment: 8.92 KB
aa_katz_a_s.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Just a suggestion: Remove the lower end of the sabered blade, round off the new tip and grind it very thin (so that the fuller fades out a few inches from the tip) and make a Katzbalger. See these examples from Arma Bohemia and A&A. The A&A's blade is only 19". Looks like you could salvage that much from the sabered blade. I would also second Jean's alternate suggestion about using the distal end for a cinqueda or coustille, taking the tang from the fullered area of upper part of the blade. There are some wonderful possibilities for that beautiful, if bent, blade.

Salvaging the old blade may or may not be a good idea as the blade went through more than one heat treating cycle too many and might have micro stress cracks or been overheated and the steel " burned ".

Might be worth a go if the guys at OlliN want to risk waisting any time on it and I guess some non destructive testing would be needed to prove to their satisfaction that the product was up to their standard. Eek! Laughing Out Loud At least if they intend to sell it to somebody ? As a private project for themselves it might be an interesting experiment.

Before the parts get assembled I have to discuss the engraving/ inlay or NOT inlay decision with them and make that final decision. Wink Big Grin Factors are cost ( inlays more work so more expensive ) historical appropriateness of inlays ( not an absolute priority but still needs to be considered i.e. more historical or more fantasy piece ).

Then it's going to make the final arrangements about shipping to Russ Ellis for a scabbard and discussing the scabbard with Russ. Maybe use a baldric based design for suspension that could be ambidextrous since I'm left handed but currently taking longsword courses as a right hander. Technically this is a one handed sword but I can see using it with the second hand on the pommel even if the grip is going to be too short for two hands. ( I've mentioned this a few times before that a large and heavy one hander might be useable with a pommel hold or at least cupped together hands )

Oh, and I'm real glad about the quality of the heat treat those test sword showed as this should be a superior sword at least as far as materials are concerned and I have every confidence in Mark to make a " great " sword in all senses of the word. If anything doesn't work out it should be my fault for asking for such an extreme one hander in size and potential weight. Wink But then I have sensible swords already, so a little " extreme " is an interesting experiment in maximum design challenges.

Matthew has been very good keeping me informed about all the searches for a new heat treating place in private messages, so the absence of posts by Matthew here was just that he preferred getting things solved before getting back to the public thread. But the important thing is that, me, as the client didn't in any way feel neglected or forgotten about.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is very happy news for Jean and Ollin! I look forward to again seeing this beast of a sword take shape.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just wondering if any updates are forthcoming on the project. I had followed this with interest and it seems to have fallen by the wayside. That or it has been decided to wait until it is finished to post the information.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
I was just wondering if any updates are forthcoming on the project. I had followed this with interest and it seems to have fallen by the wayside. That or it has been decided to wait until it is finished to post the information.

Oh, there have been a few problems with heat treating: The steel supplied by the supplier may have been of the wrong type and the second blade turned out much too soft. Sad A sample of the steel is currently in a lab to be sure.

Now, Matthew has been keeping me informed of the situation and there has been little new to show as it's mostly been a case of redoing previous steps over again. ( Twice !)

So, they are now working on the third blade at no extra cost to me except for the obvious delay.

After the second blade didn't come out of heat treat correctly Matthew gave me the option of getting my deposit back or continuing with the project: This was a very nice and honourable thing to do and gave me an OUT if I had wanted or needed an out. ( Which I didn't take by the way ).

The delays are for things beyond normal control and in part because of the extreme nature of the design.

Now, on the positive side: This gave me a chance to re-evaluate the design in ways I wouldn't have been comfortable if everything had worked out with the first two blades. I decided to reduce the length of the blade to 36" from 40" to reduce weight a bit and improve handling. So, since the blade has to be re-ground anyway it was a good opportunity to make design adjustments.

Mark did another concept drawing that Matthew sent me by mail so that I could have a full size drawing of the new version and I've just approved it after making a few minor suggestions.

So this is the situation so far and I don't see this as more than what one should expect as a possible problems with a custom project and I like the way they are handling it. Big Grin Cool

I've even discussed another totally different future project with them that is only in the early concept stage ( something completely different. Wink )

Oh, here is the most recent Photoshop drawing I sent them with my proposed changes in blade length: It's still going to be HUGE, just a little less so. Wink

Attachment: 73.35 KB
[ Download ]

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-

As you know, I like the odd and unusual designs history has brought us. I also tend to like things that fall within the "extremes" of design: weight, length, whatever...

Having said that, I think you've made a wise choice on the design direction for this project. I bet you'll be much happier and will end up with a damn fine product when all is done.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jean-

As you know, I like the odd and unusual designs history has brought us. I also tend to like things that fall within the "extremes" of design: weight, length, whatever...

Having said that, I think you've made a wise choice on the design direction for this project. I bet you'll be much happier and will end up with a damn fine product when all is done.

Cheers!

Thanks, and this is one extra reason I don't mind the delays as they gave me time and opportunities to re-design and re-evaluate. With unlimited funds or time the cut and try/change one's mind is a very good and creative way to go, but it's much better to know exactly what one wants before work begins on a custom project.

Even if in the end this turns out to be the best possible outcome for me ! It's been a bit rough on Mark who has had to grind out two blades already and is going onto the third one now: This is a really BIG and heavy piece of steel to hand grind bevels
and I'm sure that Mark must have a bit more muscle in his shoulders by now or " worse " tendinitis " Eek!

This should help people understand why I'm not a bit unhappy about any delays as they ( OlliN ) are going above and beyond getting it done: So what some might consider reasons for displeasure with a maker I find as great reasons for PRAISE. Cool

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, I must say that watching the way OlliN has handled this project has convinced me to use them on a future project. I've already got a couple ideas for re-blading a sword I own, but I may wait for a future hilt and do something entirely new. Of course, I haven't discussed it with them so I'd have no idea if they'd be interested, but I'm sold on the idea of contacting them at the very least.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jean, I must say that watching the way OlliN has handled this project has convinced me to use them on a future project. I've already got a couple ideas for re-blading a sword I own, but I may wait for a future hilt and do something entirely new. Of course, I haven't discussed it with them so I'd have no idea if they'd be interested, but I'm sold on the idea of contacting them at the very least.

Good to get them before everybody discovers how great they are and prices or wait time shoot up to the stratosphere. Wink Cool

A possible next project with them would be totally different: Some sort of walking stick/warclub in a maximum but still useable everyday size sculpted out of some exotic wood. Maybe Viking/Celtic themed in low relief.

Still, early yet before this becomes an official project as it's only in the very early " thinking about it stage ".

OlliN's sculpture page sort of convinced me that Mark has all the skills needed to make something fantastic.
If you haven't looked at the sculpture page of their web site yet: http://ollinsworddesign.com/osd-sculpture.html

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had numerous dealings with OlliN and can't give them enough praise for their work or their customer service. (Damn, I can feel their wait getting longer Wink ) They have been, by a mile, the best custom makers I have worked with. It doesn't surprise me that Mark is willing to take the time to get it "just right". I love the new shorter design Jean and I am very excited to see the end result, I think it's going to be ACE! I love this thread too, I don't think I have ever been so excited to see someone else's sword get made as I have been watching this one. Just remember- 3rd time is the charm!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

That's great to hear. Truly that's the only way that OlliN is going to come out ahead on this deal. I expect that there is no way they are going to make any money on this project at this point, so the best they can hope for is to get some good advertising out of it. I had a similar thing happen when they rebuilt my Xa.1. I'm sure that they lost money on that deal, but I do make sure that I point out how excellent they are to work with and what excellent work they do whenever I can, so I hope that is worth something. They really are good guys and excellent craftsman!

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First off, I want to say thank you for all those that keep checking in on this thread for progress reports. Jean, Mark, and I have been working hard on this project on the sidelines over the past couple of months. Sometimes it makes more sense to wait until we've had a chance to pick a direction when the unforeseen occurs. And this project had developed a couple of those. Jean has been so wonderful to work with and as he said, I think he is going to be really happy with how this piece turns out in the end.

For custom projects we create a full size rendering of the piece and send it out to the customer for approval. Once they've approved the design, we'll start up the production process. We try to take everything into account when we are setting up a project, but because we are dealing with custom projects it can push the limits at times. We expect a lot from our vendors and they do a great job in trying to accommodate our needs. Some times it can be more then we thought or can run into some unforeseen issues. In this case, we think that it had to do with the thickness of the blade. We've got the material back at the heat treaters for some additional tests and analysis. We should have some more info on how to handle the next blade shortly.

For us, it is really a matter of getting it right. We really would rather that it go right the first time, but you know...things do happen. And when they do, it is our job/responsibility to give the customer what they ordered and make it right. So if that means that we have to recreate the blade or whatever we'll do just that.

Lastly, I need to send a heart-filled thank you to those that have responded to this post, follow along with our progress, and in particular to Jean, Bob, Tim, Nathan, and Russ. You kind words and encouragement mean a great deal to Mark and I. When things go a little nuts in the shop it is really wonderful to know there is such support in the community. Thank you very much! More to come!!!

OlliN Sword Design
Handmade collectible arms, custom swords, and sculpture
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After a great deal of testing and analyzing, I happy to say that this project is starting to get back on track. There seems to have been some compostional differences in the batch of steel used for the first two bladesof this project, compared to the normal steel stock we use. This lead to difficulties in heat treat and overall problems with the blade as a whole. In fact we did get the second blade to harden, but characteristics of the blade were less than ideal.

Anyway, the new steel just showed up and I have to get it ready for heat treat by the end of the week. I'll post some pictures of the new and improved blade design as it comes along.

Mark

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark,
I am glad to hear that this project is starting up again. I have been following it since early on with interest and am looking forward to seeing what changes have been made and how it will end up.

Scott
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark gave me the update about the steel and the fact that he is aiming to get the heat treat done by the end of the week in a recent e-mail.

Seeing new progress pics I am looking forward to as this is half the fun of a project like this.

After this we get to the engraving/inlay final decision although I'm leaning strongly towards engraving. Big Grin

Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As promised, here's a shot of the new blade profile alongside the older version. It's lost a bit of its length, but that doesn't make it any less massive, that's for sure. The blade is just a bit more on the manageable side now.

Everything is marked out to start in on grinding tomorrow, so I better get some good rest tonight. I'm going to need it.....

Stay tuned.

Attachment: 20.98 KB
Picture 028.jpg

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark G. wrote:
As promised, here's a shot of the new blade profile alongside the older version. It's lost a bit of its length, but that doesn't make it any less massive, that's for sure. The blade is just a bit more on the manageable side now.

Everything is marked out to start in on grinding tomorrow, so I better get some good rest tonight. I'm going to need it.....

Stay tuned.

Look good so far. Wink And glad to know that it lost some weight as it's still going to be a " Monster " sword: Like they say be careful what you ask for. Wink Laughing Out Loud

A goodly amount of hollow grinding plus the deep fuller should help a bit to keep the weight down while the high ridges give a fairly stiff blade that although by sheer size a heavy cutter won't/shouldn't be wippy, and also should be good in the thrust.

Talking of thrust, I " TRUST " Mark to make it the best handling it can be given the challenges of an over the top design i.e. any concept errors are fully mine but I'm committed and very curious to see/feel how this sword ends up handling.

(NOTE: Since this Topic thread has become so long, over a fair amount of time, the odds that I'm repeating myself are very high as I don't re-read the entire Topic from the beginning every time I post. Blush Laughing Out Loud So my apologies if I am. Wink Laughing Out Loud ).

Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think my arms have taken about as much abuse for the day as they can... A distal taper has been ground in and I started in on the fullers. I also had to start grinding the bevels a bit to take some of the weight out of the blade. It can be tricky grinding the ends of the fullers with so much weight on the hilt end, and trying to balance the entire thing between your fingertips is just asking for trouble. It's feeling much better now though.

More to come....

Mark

Attachment: 19.04 KB
Picture 034.jpg

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark G. wrote:
I think my arms have taken about as much abuse for the day as they can... A distal taper has been ground in and I started in on the fullers. I also had to start grinding the bevels a bit to take some of the weight out of the blade. It can be tricky grinding the ends of the fullers with so much weight on the hilt end, and trying to balance the entire thing between your fingertips is just asking for trouble. It's feeling much better now though.

More to come....

Mark

Mark, don't rush it: If you have to skip a day or two and it has to wait for the next time you send swords for heat treat it's fine with me. Cool Obviously that's for you to judge if you are overstraining or not. Wink Big Grin

Looks good to me by the way. Big Grin

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN's Custom Shop Project with Jean Thibodeau
Page 9 of 14 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: