Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next 
Brian M

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Woo-hoo! I'm the 1400th post on this thread!

Big Grin

Brian M

P.S. Oh yeah, how's the Berserker and Bayeaux coming along?
Ryan A. C.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to the thread, longtime reader, and was wondering has any work been done on the XIXs? I expect it is to early for this, seeing as ya'll have your platters full, but I am curious none the less.

edit: 1401 Razz
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's one from the 'Dumb Questions You Just Gotta Ask' department............What are the lil holes in the tangs for?.........mcm.
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey mark,
I've wondered the same thing!
Jeremy
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Here's one from the 'Dumb Questions You Just Gotta Ask' department............What are the lil holes in the tangs for?.........mcm.

If I remember properly, they were used to hook the blades when dipped for heat treatment.

Alexi
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah.........a simple explaination. I was thinking something along those lines, but was not sure. The Kingmaker looks to be a promising piece all the way around, and with such a cross-section it should be incredibly strong. More pics, Albion!!!.......mcm.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Splendid! We can't wait to see the rest of it? Sorry if this is off-topic, but any news of the Poitiers? I called Mike the other day and asked for a darkened hilt. That's gonna be sweet with the black grip. Big Grin -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Wow! Splendid! We can't wait to see the rest of it? Sorry if this is off-topic, but any news of the Poitiers? I called Mike the other day and asked for a darkened hilt. That's gonna be sweet with the black grip. Big Grin -Ted

Poor Peter has a long list of prototyped blades that he needs to carve hilt waxes for -- the Poitiers is one of them. Peter has a show to get ready for and some custom orders to fill, so we will all have to be patient while he works his way through them.

I'll post photos as soon as he sends in waxes for each!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good Howard! No hurry; just curious. Wink
-Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a financial question for you guys at Albion:

Do you find that when new reviews are posted at myArmoury that it boosts sales appreciably in the swords that are reviewed?
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
I have a financial question for you guys at Albion:

Do you find that when new reviews are posted at myArmoury that it boosts sales appreciably in the swords that are reviewed?

Interesting question, Alina!

Our experience thus far has been that reviews help soldify a customer's decision (someone who was already considering the purchase, most of whom have already had a lot of previous conversations with Mike about that particular sword), but there is no noticable "spike" in sales of a particular model when it is reviewed.

The reviews are invaluable, however, as they help someone being to determine if a particular sword is right for them, especially in the unbiased way that they are presented here on myArmoury. The biggest problem in selling swords on the internet is that people can't hold them and get a feel for them prior to purchase -- the reviews help them feel a little more confident. Short of attending a Roundtable event, the reviews are the next best thing. Plus the photos are excellent!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Our experience thus far has been that reviews help soldify a customer's decision (someone who was already considering the purchase, most of whom have already had a lot of previous conversations with Mike about that particular sword), but there is no noticable "spike" in sales of a particular model when it is reviewed.

The reviews are invaluable, however, as they help someone being to determine if a particular sword is right for them, especially in the unbiased way that they are presented here on myArmoury. The biggest problem in selling swords on the internet is that people can't hold them and get a feel for them prior to purchase -- the reviews help them feel a little more confident. Short of attending a Roundtable event, the reviews are the next best thing. Plus the photos are excellent!

The reviews have helped me both before and after placing the order. For example, my first order was for a Squire Line Bastard. Due to the popularity of this piece as well as awaiting delivery of fittings from the foundry, I'm still in the queue. Since placing the order, the Maestro line has been introduced, there has been a lot of discussion on this site about the Next Gen Mercenary, the Squire Bastard, and the Maestro line. This generated a lot of questioning as to whether this is the right piece for me. Chad's review has helped me get comfortable again, and it was just posted. I feel that, although I would eventually like a Mercenary, this will be a nice (and safely functional) piece to add. It also expands my personal collection to include a Squire Line sword, and hope eventually to have some of the Museum Line pieces as well.

An instance where the reviews actually drew me to purchase a sword was the review of the Landgraf, which I recently did acquire. Another was a series of personal communications between Patrick and me discussing the Knight, while he was compiling his findings and experiences to pen his review, also just now posted. I was alread quite taken by both of these swords, but the reviews increased my appetite.

As Howy says, short of attending a Round Table event, having the thoughts and opinions of someone I have come to trust has been invaluable. This definitely includes Mike Sigman - he's great at giving honest opinions, sifting through vague questions, and distilling facts - but having multiple solid resources is awesome.

Speaking of Round Tables, I'm personally looking forward to experiencing some of the swords I haven't yet had the pleasure of at the Round Table I will be hosting in July here in Louisiana. As soon as I can nail down a definite date (changing job assignments right now), I'll let everyone know, but think ahead - everyone's invited to come and enjoy the experience with me!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
W.H. Kalfsbeek

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: NG Crecy         Reply with quote

Argh, waiting for a sword to be released surely is a painful thing! I just want to spend my money on the NG Crecy. sooo, err, any news about the NG Crecy yet Big Grin ?

Wouter
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it weren't for the myArmoury reviews and forum, I would have bought a few okay-ish Czech swords, instead of the perfect Next Gen Mercenary I have now, it's as simple as that.

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Due to the popularity of this piece as well as awaiting delivery of fittings from the foundry, I'm still in the queue.

Me too.
The waiting would be unbearable if I didn't have the Next Gen to drool over. Happy

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
everyone's invited to come and enjoy the experience with me!

Very tempting offer, but I don't know if I can make it.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: NG Crecy         Reply with quote

W.H. Kalfsbeek wrote:
Argh, waiting for a sword to be released surely is a painful thing! I just want to spend my money on the NG Crecy. sooo, err, any news about the NG Crecy yet Big Grin ?

Wouter

The first set of sample castings for the NG Crecy should be arriving from the foundry in the next two weeks.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On a related note, what would your estimate be as to the NG Crecy's overall length (i.e. will it be longer than, as long as, or shorter than the Duke, or the Baron, for example), and overall weight (ballpark estimate)?
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix I think the pictures on Albion's site are supposed to be to scale so I think the Crecy is supposed to be shorter than the Baron and Duke.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Thieme wrote:
On a related note, what would your estimate be as to the NG Crecy's overall length (i.e. will it be longer than, as long as, or shorter than the Duke, or the Baron, for example), and overall weight (ballpark estimate)?

Hey Felix,

I am writning on a borrowed computer and do not have my notes with me, but I can give you some estimates.
The Crécy is a slimmer sword than the Baron and Duke. Also a tad shorter. It has the same width at the base as the first gen sword of the same name and somewhat the same outline, but a much pointier point. The dimensions of length and weight does not really tell much of the character of this sword, though.
In its new guise it is a XVIa and that changes its feel quite a bit. It is now a very quick hand and a half sword. The protoype blade I worked with to set hilt dimensions showed itself to be a very effective cutter. Nice point control. Finished sword weighs around 1.4 kilos but feels much, much lighter. An agile and very responsive weapon that still has authority in the blade. It has that floating feel when you heft it.
If the Baron was a dog, it would perhaps be a great dane, but the NG Crécy would then be a grey hound: a sleek and powerful hunter built for speed and stamina.
It is a very different sword from its name sake in the first generation line. I made it like this since it now fills an important position in the line. We started the line with the big warswords as there was an interest for a good selection of such weapons. Now the time has come to the long, slim and agile longswords.
The NG Crécy and the Agincourt, Talhoffer & Co. all belong to that niche.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Felix Thieme wrote:

Hey Felix,

I am writning on a borrowed computer and do not have my notes with me, but I can give you some estimates.
The Crécy is a slimmer sword than the Baron and Duke. Also a tad shorter. It has the same width at the base as the first gen sword of the same name and somewhat the same outline, but a much pointier point. The dimensions of length and weight does not really tell much of the character of this sword, though.
In its new guise it is a XVIa and that changes its feel quite a bit. It is now a very quick hand and a half sword. The protoype blade I worked with to set hilt dimensions showed itself to be a very effective cutter. Nice point control. Finished sword weighs around 1.4 kilos but feels much, much lighter. An agile and very responsive weapon that still has authority in the blade. It has that floating feel when you heft it.
If the Baron was a dog, it would perhaps be a great dane, but the NG Crécy would then be a grey hound: a sleek and powerful hunter built for speed and stamina.
It is a very different sword from its name sake in the first generation line. I made it like this since it now fills an important position in the line. We started the line with the big warswords as there was an interest for a good selection of such weapons. Now the time has come to the long, slim and agile longswords.
The NG Crécy and the Agincourt, Talhoffer & Co. all belong to that niche.

Nice analogy Peter since we have a Greyhound and he's very quick and agile Big Grin

The Crecy sounds like it's going to be very sweet.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Michael P Smith

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I answered the call of the Prince and haven't regreted it... now the Agincourt is calling my name! When will the madness end!!!????

Oh yeah... I still want a "Wakefield" falchion/hanger.....

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens
Page 71 of 74 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: