Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next 
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian

So, I'm not the only one who stays up late into the night. Eek!

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
I'm sorry, but regarding picture 6, I simply don't believe what you're saying. John's edge is *clearly* turned against his opponents; it's obvious in the photo, both from the position of the blade itself and from the position of John's hands.

Well, we will just have to disagree on this one. Happy In this situation is would be typical of John to make a passing step forward and to his left and use the blade alignment to make a cut to the back of his training partners legs.

On an unrelated note, in photo 7, JC should have his short edge presented downward, instead of the orientation he has it in. I wondered about this for a long time after reading von Danzig, but realized it's to prevent the problem in this picture, that is, if you hold the short edge up, your right wrist has to break, rather than remaining strong and straight.

We actually use both versions. The short edge version from von Danzig has been widely used in ARMA since 2003 when Bart Walczakiem (ARMA Poland) presented it to us at the ARMA Internatial event. When one is attacked by a series of Zwerchhaus (and fails to perform one of the standard counters) the long edge version is good for sitting aside a couple of Zwerchhaus, giving one time to counter or escape.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
I'm not so sure that the positions between the two sides are so different.
Agree.

Jason Elrod wrote:
it looks like both sides are saying that proper technique will insure an effective parry.
I think so.

Jason Elrod wrote:
And I don't think that either side would advocate changing the actions of the technique in order to insure that the blade contact occurs directly on the flat or on the edge . . . or is this the rub?

Well, in ARMA we have two objectives: To be historically valid and martially sound. If we perform a technique as we think a master says and we find that version of the technique is not martial sound (ie. it does not work in full speed hard sparring or it results in damage to our weapon) then we question our understanding of what the master actually says. Basically we keep looping through the process until we find the best mouse trap. So...if an interpretation resulted in a hard high speed edge-on-edge impact, which would possibly damage our weapons, then we would start looking at other possible interpretaitons.

Jason Elrod wrote:
So the physical mechanics involved during the techniques will give you the appropriate parry. And where the blades hit will be a function of angles involved. So If I present the wrong counter to a cut then I could have a 90 degree edge on edge contact. . . accidentally.
Possibly.

Jason Elrod wrote:

Now In executing the wrong counter I wouldn't try to adjust the angle of my blade in order to accept the blow on the flat of my blade. . . would I? Executing the proper technique seems more important and getting the appropriate response to the attack would be even better since I'd like to live.
Maybe, maybe not.

Jason Elrod wrote:
So if I defend against a strike with an appropriate counter/parry there will be miniumal edge on edge contact based upon the mechanics of the actions themselves. Correct?
True for ARMA's interpretations.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Against the stroke JC is encountering, it's inevitable that there will be edge contact if one uses such a parry, particularly if it involves countercutting into the stroke.

This technique does not involve countercutting into the stroke at all. It involves countercutting out of the stroke. On impact, John's sword will come back, around, and become most likely a left oberhau. The position and technique he is using in photo 7 is hangen ort (hanging point) not hangen or ochs.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
This technique does not involve countercutting into the stroke at all. It involves countercutting out of the stroke. On impact, John's sword will come back, around, and become most likely a left oberhau. The position and technique he is using in photo 7 is hangen ort (hanging point) not hangen or ochs.

What technique is that? From which manual?

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The technique is Hanging Point, a guard, like I have said twice now. It is depicted in Meyer, Talhoffer, and Sutor.
http://www.schielhau.org/Meyer.p9.html
http://www.schielhau.org/talpoint.html#tal23
http://www.schielhau.org/Sutor.text.p6.html
It's pretty common and a technique we teach begginers; first because it is easy and effective, second because it quickly teaches proper use of the flat.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

The plate in Talhoffer is unlikely to represent Hangentort, as that guard (which is just a high adaptation of Schranckhut) doesn't come into existence until later.

However, this position, in its later incarnation is likely held with the blade facing edge up and down, not with the flat presented. Meyer shows it thus and by this time the artwork is starting to depict blade orientation (though probably not in Sutor, whose illustrations are extremely crude by Meyer's standards).

Also, look carefully at the hands of the hanging point figure in Meyer - there's no way he's presenting his flat.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason,

I know you asked for a summary of positions on this question, and I think the problem is that we are all discussing slightly different things and different systems from different periods. Most of the examples and focus of this discussion has revolved around German Longsword, which is fine, but I think it tends to overlook the many other systems of fence with many other weapons, and even the Italian Longsword.

The problem here is that only the Medieval systems are fairly mute about whether to use the edge or the flat in parrying actions. So we can have a big argument over it because the techniques are rarely specific about this, the artwork is subject to interpretation, and there is just so much we still don't know. The Renaissance systems are all very much specific about using the edge to parry with. And often the parry action is done debole to debole (for false edge parries in the Bolognese school), or forte to debole, or middle to middle, all using either the false or true edge of the sword. They did not seem to be concerned with damage to the edge of the sword at all.

Nobody here has really addressed this important 200 year stretch of history, in which the instructions are quite clear, I think because it cannot be disputed based on the writings of the Masters. And to discuss the Bolognese school, or the British Backsword/Baskethilt schools would be to admit that many fencing Masters advocated exactly what the flat parry supporters are arguing against. Once again, this may or may not be directly related to the German Longsword tradition, however we keep using generalizations about parrying, but only arguing about the German longsword side of things. It also makes a difference because John Clements, one of the biggest proponents of parrying with the flat of the sword as opposed to the edge, specifically stated that in Renaissance cut and thrust the flat was used (in his book on the same subject). We know he was wrong about that, because we have the original Master's writings which contradict his statements. I am not making this a personal attack on him or his book, I am simply stating that it is possible to be wrong about this subject, and it has been demonstrated in at least a few areas that the argument was simply incorrect when compared to the actual instructions from the actual Masters of the art.

So here we are, stuck arguing about the same thing, only now all of the examples coming from the flat parry camp are isolated to German Longsword because you will rarely find anything ambiguous about any other school of fence from later periods, who say to make static edge parries quite clearly (yes, Thibault is an exception).
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

I am guessing that this is a Zorn-to-Zorn. The edge of one blade will impact the flat of the other blade. It appears that Jake on the left has pulled his arms in so as to not hit his training partner in the head. In sparring the arms are extended more fully.

Hey thats the Southern Knights event I hosted back in 2004? was it that long ago?, thats at Barristers gallery in New Orleans, on Oretha Castle Halley boulevard. I arranged for the ARMA guys to stay in a hotel that was an old 19th century orphanage, which still had "baby asylum" written on the side. Really cool old place. I wasn't in that particular photo sadly. Or strangely, in any of the ones that were posted ...

Sure was a fun event though, I learned a great deal from Jake and Jay Vail especially. Great stuff.

Jean Henri Chandler

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At least to me, it seems that the people who are really arguing this whole flat vs. edge issue are those on the "flat" side of the argument. They are the ones who believe that proper technique should conform to this idea that the edges should not meet. If this issue wasn't ever mentioned by those who wrote the medieval manuscripts than why should we worry about it? Apparently it didn't matter much to them. As Nicholas mentioned, later masters specifically advocated edge on edge contact. This is a modern argument that began with Clement's modern theory.

If someone strikes an Oberhau to me, I don't worry about nicking my edge with the Zornhau I cut into it to answer the blow. I strike with my long edge into his cut: depending on the angle of his attack, I may meet edge to edge, edge to flat, or somewhere in between.

I like this quotation. This follows what the masters said. Strike into his blow with your long edge... there is no mention of trying to strike his flat. It wasn't an issue. Adjusting one's technique to meet some modern criteria seems unnecessary and counterproductive.

Just a side note... in picture #5 of Clements, he is not in Pflug. He isn't in any guard. His right leg is forward and his hands are on his right side... sort of a twisted up position.

Travis
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas

It appears that you are very much mis-understanding the edge-on-edge issue. Although it has been pointed out many times over the years and several times in this thread I will say again that this issue is NOT concerned with should a parry be made with the edge or should a parry be made with the flat. People on both sides of this issue agree that both the edge and the flat are used depending upon the context of a given techinque. The ONLY thing this issue is concerned with is direct high speed head-on edge-to-edge impacts by very thin sharp swords. If there is no impact, or the impact is at a slow speed, or the impact is at a very low angle, or the swords do not have very thin sharp edges, then it is outside of this issue. Therefore, edge-on-edge is not an issue in winding actions and thrusting actions. Over the years John Clements and other ARMA members, myself included, have repeatedly noted that the swords arts that come along after the Renaissance, such as the saber arts, do include edge-on-edge actions. Therefore, the post Renaissance sword arts are not a part of this issue.

By the way, what is your opinion about Guy Windsor experience?

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Zeman wrote:
Yes, but by the same logic you would have to conclude that all cutting attacks were made with the flat of the sword, since we can see from the images that the edge is never shown in perspective. Most of the Zwerchau plates I have seen depict the flat of the sword aligned with the viewer, which unless we are all performing it wrong means that there is a discrepancy in the illustration and actual perspective. Perhaps the Zwerchau was intended to strike a person with the flat of the sword, since that is what seems to be happening based on the image?

That's a fair point, but there are a couple of problems. First, it does not address the illustrations of later manuscripts which I brought up. Secondly, we have text indicating how a zwerchhau is delivered. Even if it isn't specified in the text that the edge is to be used, we can still figure it out based upon our knowledge of how a sword functions. We know that the edge is used to cut, and therefore a zwerchhau is a high horizontal strike that impacts with the edge. The same cannot be said for the argument about using the edge to parry- at best we have text which states to use the long edge against such and such a strike, which doesn't indicate what the long edge is actually coming into contact with.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:

Actually, it's very likely that picture shows a Winden. Note that the figure on the left has his thumb on the flat of the blade just as we're shown to do in von Danzig. That means the orientation of the blade isn't perpendicular to the ground as the drawing might suggest to someone eager to prove the ARMA argument, but closer to parallel to the ground, which, in turn, means the edges are quite possibly in contact.

If you start practicing some of these plays, Craig, you'll find that winding that way is very strong and that having the cross more to the horizontal gives your hand better protection against a Schnitt. If you do this play the way you suggest, with flat on flat as the medieval perspective might make it appear, then the figure on the right can simply scrape his blade up to cut the fingers of Left's hand.

I know this because back when I first started practicing the longsword we all believed that Winden was done with the edge perpendicular to the ground--it seemed natural to us since we, like you now, failed to understand the perspective being used in this sort of drawing. But as we practiced this we discovered that the fingers were horribly vulnerable, so when Christian came up with the realization that von Danzig (and others) showed Winden with the blade parallel to the ground we were thrilled.

I suppose it's *possible* that the figure on the right's edge is vertical (as in a Shielhau), but, again, it's far more likely that his sword is also parallel to the ground judging by the way his cross lays across the back of his right hand... meaning that this is pretty clearly edge on edge contact.

Don't worry about it, it takes a lot of practice to understand most of these Talhoffer plays, and even then, you have to see them in the context of other manuals to make the connection.

That's okay- your interpretations are not the only ones out there. Wink

Quote:
Folks, read Stephen Hand's Silver book about edge-on-edge contact and then let's drop this silly topic once and for all. As Bob Charron said in a seminar I once attended: "They just ground the nicks out. No Problem." Or you can simply read the literature of the period. Take, for example, The Unconquered Knight, a 15th-century book about a famous knight named Pero Nino. In it, we read the following account written by Pero's servant who was at the battle being described. After the battle, Pero Nino came away, and "...his sword had its gilded hilt almost broken and wrenched away, and the blade was toothed like a saw..." (emphasis mine). (Taken from the translation by Joan Evans, In Parentheses Publications, p. 21)

I find it hard to believe that in a world where so much effort had to go into making a sword, and where material items were much less common than they are now, that people would use their tools in such a manor as to speed up their eventual destruction. Swords can only be re-sharpened so many times before they're no good anymore.

And medieval people clearly weren't stupid either. We know that they were pretty good at figuring out how to do things; the various fechtbuecher are testimony of this. If members of the ARMA have found ways to fence successfully while still preserving the edges of our swords, it stands to reason that the people in the Middle Ages would have made every effort to do the same.

As for your period literature example, it tells me that Pero's sword was damaged in the battle. That's it. I can think of a lot of different things that could caused gouges and nicks in a blade during battle, such as impacting against shields, mail, armour, etc., without having to damage the edges with edge parries. If we include a bit more of the context, as John does in the essay that was originally posted for discussion in this thread, we learn that Pero sends the sword away as a gift to his Lady of Serifontaine. This suggests that the sword is of no use to him anymore; otherwise, it stands to reason that he would have kept it and continued to use it. This also implies that the edge damage done to Pero's sword was an undesirable thing, something which was to be avoided if possible.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh,

Also, you haven't taken into account the possibility of exaggeration in period literature. In chivalric literature it's not uncommon for helms to be cloven in two by a sword stroke. To date, I am unaware of anyone who is able to do this with reasonable consistency. The best I have seen is a small split in a helmet from a hard strike, but most of the damage left on the helmet was in the form of a dent. It certainly did not qualify as the helmet being rent asunder. At any rate, hyperbolizing the extent of damage done to the sword certainly is not out of the realm of possibility either.
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis Canaday wrote:
At least to me, it seems that the people who are really arguing this whole flat vs. edge issue are those on the "flat" side of the argument. They are the ones who believe that proper technique should conform to this idea that the edges should not meet. If this issue wasn't ever mentioned by those who wrote the medieval manuscripts than why should we worry about it? Apparently it didn't matter much to them. As Nicholas mentioned, later masters specifically advocated edge on edge contact. This is a modern argument that began with Clement's modern theory.

Travis

Pleaseeeeeee see my reply message to Nicholas Zeman. The edge-on-edge issue is not a case of Flat vs. Edge! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

By the way, what is your opinion about Guy Windsor experience?

Travis Canaday wrote:

If someone strikes an Oberhau to me, I don't worry about nicking my edge with the Zornhau I cut into it to answer the blow. I strike with my long edge into his cut: depending on the angle of his attack, I may meet edge to edge, edge to flat, or somewhere in between.

I like this quotation. This follows what the masters said. Strike into his blow with your long edge... there is no mention of trying to strike his flat. It wasn't an issue.

Nor does it say to strike directly into the adversary's edge! But just for fun let us skip the edge damage issue and just look at what is martially sound. The more edge-on-edge your cut is the further off line your point is from the adversary's face. To test this just have your adversary stop about half way through his Zorn, then have another person hold your point in his face, then try to move your hilt over so that you are edge-to-edge with your adversary's blade. Not possible. Wink The more edge-to-flat your cut is the more your point is in line with the adversary's face. Following the ARMA's interpretation I can often hit the adversary in the face with my counter Zorn. If my cut fails to his the adversary's face I am left in a lower hanging with my point most often only a couple of inches from the adversary's face. When you do you Zorn edge-on-edge, leaving your point several inches from his face, you give the adversary more of a chance to perform his own counter action. Is this really that hard to understand?

Travis Canaday wrote:
Adjusting one's technique to meet some modern criteria seems unnecessary and counterproductive.

It is not a case of adjusting to a modern criteria. It is a case of adjusting to a very ancient criteria - is it martially sound? In other words, to the best of our knowledge, would an interpretation of a technique work in combat? We ask ourselves, would we use this interpretation if we had to fight for our lifes with a sword next week. Of couse, none of us think such will happen but we do think it is the correct criteria used. Do you think the masters used a different criteria?

Travis Canaday wrote:
Just a side note... in picture #5 of Clements, he is not in Pflug. He isn't in any guard. His right leg is forward and his hands are on his right side... sort of a twisted up position.

Yes, but a little nick-picky. WTF?! John started in Left Pflug. As the woman threw the cut John simply move his sword over to set aside the cut. After sitting aside the cut John and very easily make a quick follow up Oberhau. After all, with the exception of his feet John's is almost in the same position in which many now hold Vom Tag! In ARMA this is considered a very basic technique that is shown to new members during their first couple of trainings. It is quick, safe, and effective. If you just stood in that position you would feel a little twisted, but is just a snap-shot out of a larger action.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand the argument, as I have read every article on the subject posted by ARMA, and participated in many discussions on the subject. I actually do agree that forceful square-on edge on edge contact between two sharp swords will cause damage to one or both swords. I don't think that's really a debate anyone can have, given the results of a simple experiment. I also think that the flat was used quite often in various ways for defensive actions. What I'm not so sure about is the fact that systems of fence and techniques were developed around the fear of damaging the edge of your sword.

When discussing Renaissance swordsmanship, however, we really aren't talking about 19th century saber. The Bolognese school, founded by Dardi (or Bardi), who was a contemporary of Fiore specifically advocates using the edge in parrying actions. They were using sharp cut and thrust swords, with thin edges. They never mention using the flat of the weapon in a defensive manner at all. Now, we can discuss whether the edge of the defending weapon will strike the flat of the attacking weapon, perhaps it does, or makes oblique contact with the edge in some manner. But my point was that in all of the examples of presenting the flat of a sword for defensive purposes, the flat was specifically turned so that the attacking sword would strike it, not the edge. This does not really go along with what Marozzo, Manciolino, or del Aggochie tells you to do (or Viggiani for that matter). They say that you can either use the true edge or the false edge to parry. You can counter-cut, deflect with the false edge, or enter a guard that places the sword between you and your opponent's. But any way you look at it, the instructions given by the Bolognese Masters mean that you will be presenting the edge of your sword to his strike. They don't really say what part of your sword will contact his, and from my own experience more often than not there is an oblique contact, often the forte of the defending weapon taking the force of the blow (when doing the static hard stop). Marozzo's Spadona (2 handed sword) section says that there are two places you can be crossed with another sword, true edge to true edge and false edge to false edge. That sounds a lot like hard edge to edge contact to me.

In several of the images you posted John was using a Pflug guard, with his flat presented to take the force of the cut. Now I understand that this is German Longsword, and not Bolognese sidesword, but in his book he specifically stated that Renaissance sidesword systems used the flat of the sword to parry, so I assume he does something similar with a sidesword. This directly contradicts the Bolognese school writings. Unless we aren't understanding the words of the Masters correctly, you cannot present the flat of your sword to an attack and then say you are using the true edge to parry with.

As far as Guy Windsor goes, I think he had a great section about this issue in his book Swordsman's Companion. He basically stated that using the flat to make a stopping parry instead of the edge was much weaker biomechanically, as you can observe. He then advocates striking the edge into the flat when counter-cutting or deflecting, which I agree with. He also states elsewhere that using the edge in many actions against another edge will cause damage, but that's what cutlers were for.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Also, you haven't taken into account the possibility of exaggeration in period literature. In chivalric literature it's not uncommon for helms to be cloven in two by a sword stroke. To date, I am unaware of anyone who is able to do this with reasonable consistency. The best I have seen is a small split in a helmet from a hard strike, but most of the damage left on the helmet was in the form of a dent. It certainly did not qualify as the helmet being rent asunder. At any rate, hyperbolizing the extent of damage done to the sword certainly is not out of the realm of possibility either.

Again, Craig, this is no mystery once you understand medieval art. The images of helms being split are almost invariably depictions of biblical heroes using God-given powers to smite their enemies. The most famously cited of these are from the Maciejowski Bible.

A huge part of the problem in the modern mindset comes from our collector mentality. Swords are expensive treasures that we don't want to nick up. But saying that someone in a life and death struggle with a sword wouldn't want to nick his edge is akin to saying that no seriously gun owner would risk the dangers of corrosion in firing his weapon. We know, for instance, that swords, and sometimes sharp ones at that, were used in armoured tournaments - don't you think that some of those guys downright folded over sections of their edges in such an encounter?

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas!

Nicholas Zeman wrote:

In several of the images you posted John was using a Pflug guard, with his flat presented to take the force of the cut. Now I understand that this is German Longsword, and not Bolognese sidesword, but in his book he specifically stated that Renaissance sidesword systems used the flat of the sword to parry, so I assume he does something similar with a sidesword. This directly contradicts the Bolognese school writings. Unless we aren't understanding the words of the Masters correctly, you cannot present the flat of your sword to an attack and then say you are using the true edge to parry with.

And, indeed, no depiction of Pflug shows the wielder's right wrist so contorted as JC is forced to make his in order to present the flat. It's a pretty hard and fast rule that in any swordplay, you want that wrist straight and strong. A more natural position for left Pflug, with the long edge presented up and slightly outward, keeps the wrist straight. It also presents the edge more less towards a blow directed at the lower left opening.

Your points regarding the Bolognese system are well-taken. And we should recall that this system is by and large a holdover medieval system, deriving from Dardi, a 15th century figure. So we can't dismiss it as something so new and different as to not be applicable in this discussion. That said, the stress in the German late medieval texts is to tell you what your edge is doing. And really, that makes perfect sense, for the sword is designed and gripped to transmit force and enable resistance through the plane of the edges. Further, their silence on what part of your opponent's blade - edge or flat - you encounter also makes sense, as it's in the main out of your control and subject to change on the fly.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
That's okay- your interpretations are not the only ones out there. Wink

Perhaps not, but I defy anyone to come up with an interpretation of that plate that is better aligned with what we know about der Kunst des Fechtens. That one's really pretty blatant, Craig. We know how the Winden is supposed to look, we know it was done with the thumb under the blade and the blade close to parrallel to the ground, therefore it isn't a big leap to see that's what's being shown here.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that in a world where so much effort had to go into making a sword, and where material items were much less common than they are now, that people would use their tools in such a manor as to speed up their eventual destruction. Swords can only be re-sharpened so many times before they're no good anymore.

And then they're no good any more, you're right. That means swords were a disposable commodity. Armor was valuable and expensive, too, but it got beaten on all the time. There are lots of people who find it hard to believe that highly-skilled knights grabbed their swords in the middle of the blade in armored duels to stab with the points rather than beating on each other with the edges, but we know if often happened. It's amazing how many things people find hard to believe that are simple fact.

Quote:
And medieval people clearly weren't stupid either. We know that they were pretty good at figuring out how to do things; the various fechtbuecher are testimony of this. If members of the ARMA have found ways to fence successfully while still preserving the edges of our swords, it stands to reason that the people in the Middle Ages would have made every effort to do the same.

That kind of argument is called a "syllogism", and it's a very dangerous sort of argument to use. Because it looks so complete and final it can mislead you, as it has here, if you take any of the postulates as fact when they aren't. The typical example of a syllogism is as follows: Socrates is a man, all men are mortal, therefore Socrates is mortal. The first two statements are the postulates, and must be carefully supported with evidence for any syllogism to be worthwhile. In this case, one of your postulates is that medieval man cared about protecting the edges of his swords enough to find a way to fence that protected them. This postulate remains unproven; indeed, when we read Silver's injunction specifically directing us to block with a hard edge-on-edge block at right angles we learn that your postulate is not only lacking in evidence, it even contradicts the primary-source material. Likewise, as you point out below, sword edges were likely to be destroyed by many things other than edge-on-edge contact, ergo it naturally follows that they couldn't protect their swords as you suggest, ergo your syllogism crumbles.

Quote:
As for your period literature example, it tells me that Pero's sword was damaged in the battle. That's it. I can think of a lot of different things that could caused gouges and nicks in a blade during battle, such as impacting against shields, mail, armour, etc., without having to damage the edges with edge parries. If we include a bit more of the context, as John does in the essay that was originally posted for discussion in this thread, we learn that Pero sends the sword away as a gift to his Lady of Serifontaine. This suggests that the sword is of no use to him anymore; otherwise, it stands to reason that he would have kept it and continued to use it. This also implies that the edge damage done to Pero's sword was an undesirable thing, something which was to be avoided if possible.

You just gave away your whole argument, Craig. If Pero knew that he was going to destroy his sword anyway by beating it on shields, etc., then why take care to limit his edge-on-edge contacts? The fact that his sword was so damaged that he sent it away just proves that swords were considered a disposable commodity.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org

Last edited by Hugh Knight on Fri 20 Apr, 2007 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

Actually, I do take their penchant for exaggeration into account. When you see helmets being split in early sources what you're really seeing is the artistic representation of an effective blow. Since we all know that you can't split helmets this way, and since medieval readers knew it too, the artist needed a way to make a clear distinction in his artwork for blows which were effective (i.e., those which caused damage, which we can infer was usually of the stunning swort since this type of attack appears so frequently) versus those which were ineffective (either because of a weak blow or a strong helmet or a really tough wearer). He did that by showing a broken helmet with blood gushing forth. Many authors have argued that these crushing blows were meant to represent blows of "biblical" force by god-like heroes, but when you consider that number of cases in which normal men in normal (i.e., non-biblical environments like the tourney field) situations are shown doing this (e.g., the Manessa Codex) it becomes clear that the Biblical Hero argument is outdated.

As regards the Pero Nino account, I can easily accept that the blade was less damaged than the author's account would suggest, but the fact that it was damaged beyond repair was manifest in the citation you yourself provided showing that Pero gave the sword away because it was no longer useful.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

Again, Craig, this is no mystery once you understand medieval art. The images of helms being split are almost invariably depictions of biblical heroes using God-given powers to smite their enemies. The most famously cited of these are from the Maciejowski Bible.

This isn't a mystery to me. The reason I pointed it out was to provide evidence for my claim that exaggeration occurs. The fact that none of us has been able to reproduce these results just provides support for my claim that it is exaggeration. I don't know why this leads you to believe that I don't understand medieval art.

Quote:
A huge part of the problem in the modern mindset comes from our collector mentality. Swords are expensive treasures that we don't want to nick up. But saying that someone in a life and death struggle with a sword wouldn't want to nick his edge is akin to saying that no seriously gun owner would risk the dangers of corrosion in firing his weapon. We know, for instance, that swords, and sometimes sharp ones at that, were used in armoured tournaments - don't you think that some of those guys downright folded over sections of their edges in such an encounter?

I can understand why we as collectors would want to preserve our edges as much as possible, so it makes sense that modern people would be motivated to do so. But this really doesn't touch on the points I brought up earlier about swords being difficult to make and people having less material items in the Middle Ages, not to mention that swords were not cheap either. I agree that modern people have a desire to preserve a sword's edges, but I see no reason why medieval people would not have the same idea.

And yes, I have little doubt that swords were probably damaged in tournaments. However, there were other things involved with tournaments to consider as well. They could raise an individual's social prestige, which in and of itself could be invaluable. In the earlier tournaments, they provided training for battles, and this may have been true for some of the later ones as well, and thus were an important opportunity to practice one's skills. But, most importantly, one could earn money at tournaments. Unless things radically changed in the later Middle Ages, that could also mean winning things like harnesses and horses, both of which are also extremely valuable.

So it seems to me that tournaments offered several possible incentives, not the least of which might have been financial, which would make hazarding one's equipment more than a reasonable trade-off.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…"
Page 7 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: